With all these superhero movies coming out from Marvel and DC lets have fun talking about the first big one

With all these superhero movies coming out from Marvel and DC lets have fun talking about the first big one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k&start1=71&video2=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zgKB6fxasM&start2=24&authorName=Ayarkhaan Enemy
youtube.com/watch?v=-D15FdGRDwM
hollywoodreporter.com/features/superman-inside-story-director-richard-879894
youtube.com/watch?v=PGlb1YKs3ug
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>early capeshit movies fucked a couple things up
>this is used to excuse recent capeshit movies that fuck a lot of things up

And one of the best ones to booth

That's not Abbott and Costello meet Frankestein

youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k&start1=71&video2=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zgKB6fxasM&start2=24&authorName=Ayarkhaan Enemy

Kinda relevant, mute the video on the left, turn the right video volume up

Nice virus, m8

It's the Man of Steel flight scene with the original Superman theme m8

I never realized all the Superman the Movie, homages that Sam Raimi's Spiderman had.

Pretty much every superhero movie has some homages to Superman the Movie.
Been a while since I've seen the movie but isn't the only really problem is the ending with Superman going back in time?

There whole third act is retarded. Acts one and two are great

youtube.com/watch?v=-D15FdGRDwM

Compare the score from this scene to Williams's score.

I know some jackass is going to claim it's because the old movie theme is embedded in our pop culture, but it really isn't that. Zimmer's score has zero texture to it, it is entirely forgettable.

I miss real orchestral soundtracks.

Special effects credits don't hurt.

To this day the first two acts hold up really well. The first half from Krypton to young Clark treated the material seriously and with great affection. It's influence can be seen in Raimi's and Nolan's films quite clearly, and even the first MCU films.
Second half is still pretty good, though that's mostly due to the performances of Reeves and Hackman. The ending is weak but triumphant nonetheless.

I don't mind campy Lex, but Jor-El reeeally should have had a smaller, and Pa (and Ma) should have had a bigger one, in molding Superman. This is why we got the Super Jesus shit in future films.

But fat chance when you get Brando for a billion dollarydoos.

Funny how they gave Brando's beats to Pa Kent in Man of Steel. Not a lot, but I was surprised watching Superman recently and hearing Jor-El do the whole 'you must keep your powers hidden because they will fear you' bit. I remember Snyder and co. talking about how Man of Steel was such a new and interesting take, but nope those beats are literally in Donner's films.

If Batman goes well for Geoff Johns we can likely see him supervising Man of Steel 2 as well, where he will have the almost impossible task of retconning Snyder's Jonathan Kent. But if there's anyone I trust to do that, it's Geoff Johns.

Would a movie exactly like Reeves's Superman work today?
People would complain about it doesn't have enough quips, too cheesy, no post-creidt scene, that they don't have the gut to make it r-rated.

The main problem is that if he could go back in time to save Lois, why not go back in time and stop Luthor BEFORE he sets off the missiles, etc.

Yes, essentially, the whole third act is retarded, but when you read about the problems that existed in the script when Donner was asked to direct, any problems make perfect sense.

First time I've heard about there being problems. Could you elaborate further please?

I posted it to /co when it ran in April:

>[Salkind] said, "...I’m making Superman. I don’t have a director and I’ll pay you a million dollars.”

>... ”Two [pictures]. I have Marlon Brando for X number of weeks and I have Gene Hackman, and we start shooting on such and such date.” I said, “Whoa, that’s close.” He said, “But we’re all prepared. We’re ready to go.” I said, “What’s your script like?” He said, “Perfect.”

>There was a delivery guy at my door within an hour, with this script that was so thick and big you’d get a hernia from lifting it. And there were other things with [the package], and one of them was the Superman costume. So I sat down and read the script, and it took forever. It was the longest thing I have ever read. It was indulgent and heavy and had no point of view and treated [the comic books] with disrespect.

>It was disparaging. It was just gratuitous action. I’m reading this thing and Superman’s looking for Lex Luthor in Metropolis, and he’s looking for every bald head in the city. And then he flies down and taps a guy on the shoulder and it‘s [Kojak’s] Telly Savalas, who hands him a lollipop and says, “Who loves ya, baby?”

youtube.com/watch?v=PGlb1YKs3ug

>Tom says, “You’re crazy. Get the f— away from me!” I said, “Tom, listen. You’ve got to read this.” I gave him all my feelings about what we should do. I said, “The most important thing when you look at it is this: Make a love story. And prove a man can fly.” So he read it and he called me that night and said, “You know, there’s a lot we can do with this.”

Come back to us Donner. Save Superman.

Yeah, I was going to add that you can find background on it from Donner and others, elsewhere, there's more than one You Tube interview, I just didn't have time to dig for them.

>It was disparaging. It was just gratuitous action. I’m reading this thing and Superman’s looking for Lex Luthor in Metropolis, and he’s looking for every bald head in the city. And then he flies down and taps a guy on the shoulder and it‘s [Kojak’s] Telly Savalas, who hands him a lollipop and says, “Who loves ya, baby?”

I also have a big problem with how he became Superman.
Jor-El fucking brainwashes him for over a decade.

And a more minor thing, but I've never cared much for this take on Krypton.

That is a vast improvement.

That's what everyone says about Superman in general. Hell in late 70's look at all the shit they they had. Presidents killed and his well loved brother, MLK, Watergate, ect. 60's and 70's was a pretty horrible time. The idea of "we can't have this anymore" has always been the line people say and most likely WB says to themselves. But the truth of the matter it has always worked and will always worked. It all really based on the writers, directors, actors, ect on believing if it will work as well. Superman the Movie just felt like everyone was on board from day one which is why everything felt like it worked.

Yeah I always love the idea of the Kents were the one that really made Superman the idea. Like the idea of Martha sowing his costume. Jor-El should only really be there to explain to him his home planet and explain how his powers are. There's a lot I hate about Smallville but I liked how the Kents were actively supporting Clark and helping him learn to control his powers.