Sup Sup Forums

Sup Sup Forums,

So throughout most of my life, because of my grandmother's adoption, we've been disconnected from our extended family. However a while back, we found her biological parents, and that was really cool. I decided recently to take on the genealogical project as I've always been quite into history, plus I have some knowledge of Swedish that could help (my family is mostly Swedish).

Anyway, long story short, on my quest I've found some living cousins in Iceland who are my age, and I never thought I'd reach this point. I've found them on Facebook, but for the life of me I cannot work up the courage to talk to them. I'm worried if I message any of them, they'll just come back with "JO FAN DIG AUTISTISK FUCK" or something.

How the fuck do I tackle this, is it weird, and what the hell do I say?

>Iceland
My bad, I meant Sweden here too

You can't tackle this. It is autistic. Even cousins don't very close nowadays and you are talking about extended family. You can try but don't expect much

>Even cousins don't very close nowadays and you are talking about extended family.

I've never heard or seen this.

Also these people are pretty close to me genetically, they're not like some 12th cousins 4x removed

So what's is your plan? "Hello I am very close to you genetically. Nice to meet you" or what? What do you expect? Just get some acknowledgement of your existence?

Something close to that, sure. I've been greeted by unknown family before and it was a cool experience for me, and seems to be for most (but it's not for everyone).

>What do you expect? Just get some acknowledgement of your existence?
Slav life must be tough.

Yeah, my life is so tough I stalker my extended family on Facebook

Would probably love a Swedish opinion as well, just so I have something from that mindset.

Sorry you still can't find your uncle-daddy Volodya.

You can explain them that your grandmother was adopted and now you've been investigating and came to this conclusion.

It is not so autistic.

I found one chinese orphan who had to be eaten by dogs but somehow survived. Some junky family adopted him and moved to kanada where he lives in a delirious state and believes he has some kind of family all around the world

>I found one chinese orphan
There are millions of them here, this probably happened.

You're totally right and I know it's not actually that autistic, I guess I just don't know exactly how to explain it or say it. I think I'm probably just psyching myself out.

They are Icelanders, why are you worried about sounding like an autist?

go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

Not to one-up you, but
I'm adopted from Russia.
I've located my mother and several siblings on some Russian social media, but I'm not really interested in contacting them (plus there's a big language barrier).

Sorry dude read my first reply, totally meant Sweden.

Skit.

Yeah I hear you dude, if they didn't want to talk I'd totally respect that.

envy

how's it to be subhuman in the first world society?

>how's it to be subhuman in the first world society?
Better than the alternative, I guess
Honestly, I'm worried they'd ask me for money or something.

You have nothing to lose with contacting them so I think you should do it, but just think of it in this way.

If some stranger sent you a message on Facebook saying that they are your cousins what would your reaction be?

Some might think it's really cool to talk with a cousin they have never met or heard about while others might just answer back like "ok..?" or "I don't believe you".

>If some stranger sent you a message on Facebook saying that they are your cousins what would your reaction be?
Good question. I feel like any idiot worth their salt would include in the initial message how someone is related, and if they did then I'd be pretty stoked on it. But I've seen There Will Be Blood, I know how those things can go.

>I'm worried if I message any of them, they'll just come back with "JO FAN DIG AUTISTISK FUCK" or something.
You spend too much time on this website.

I have second cousins in Canada and when they came over here they were very nice

You're not wrong

>I've found some living cousins
First cousins? Second? Third?
>"JO FAN DIG AUTISTISK FUCK"
You won't get this answer, swedes are rarely that rude to strangers.

>First cousins? Second? Third?
Uhhhh fourth. They're the only connection I've found to that part of my family. Not asking for the world, just would be cool to be aware of each other and have a conservation.

Is your family in on this? Would probably be less weird if your parents contacted their parents, my family is actually in contact with some old couple in Minnesota and we are not closely related either.

If they were first cousins or something I wouldn't mind, I would be quite interested even. Actually even if they were only distantly related it would be interesting since they'd have such a different life experience