Is atheist

>is atheist
>believes in Buddhism (enlightenment and other bullshit)

how can fedora tippers still worship him or do they not consider buddhism a religon?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura_(Buddhism)
youtube.com/watch?v=lxFB9YSFyJE
youtube.com/watch?v=BTL-P2V8xKk
bbc.co.uk/schools/religion/buddhism/buddha_day_questions.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buddhism is an atheistic religion

and atheism is the easiest religion to troll

he believes in a purely physical form of enlightenment
ie: the feeling of contentness when you place less value on things like money and sex

Buddhism has no deity you cuck. It is an ideology.

He's just another inbred beady-eyed Anglo.

*certain sects of Buddhism are atheistic but not atheist

your the deity in Buddhism though.

yeah, he believes a lot of bullshit, like people not having free will.

Buddhism isn't a religion, it's a world view with a set of suggestions (not rules or commandments) to help you live a better life.

People get confused because the nips are fucking stupid and worship the fat Buddha. On his deathbed Gautama specifically told his followers NOT to worship him after he dies because it defeated the purpose of his teachings.

>le nuke the middle east meme

That's not what he was saying although I would not have any major objections to turning all Muslim majority countries to glass.

lets start with Mecca and Medina

>I would not have any major objections to turning all Muslim majority countries to glass

You didn't need to add "Muslim majority."

>the feeling of contentness when you place less value on things like money and sex
You mean euphoria.

you re supposed to see him as a role model. someone who showed you the path to enlightenment/nirvana.

also, if buddhism is not a religion without dogma, what about...
>realms (hungry ghosts, gods)
>the Tibetan book of dead (which implies you have a soul)
>the concept of karma

You can practice Buddhist values without being Buddhist same way you can practice Christian values without being Christian.
It offers a strong moral foundation desu

>It offers a strong moral foundation desu
only if you believe in karma. if you dont, then the guiding principle is hedonism.

>buddhism tells me that i should not kill someone, since the feeling of guilt will bother me
yeah, and common sense tells you that too. the only reason to be moral is to believe in karma in buddhism

This. Almost 80% of Buddhists are atheistic. It's the nature of the ideology. That being said, I think of it as a separate religion from atheism.
T. Buddhist.

For an aetheist harris is remarkably sympathetic to anyone who hates muslimes from a religious perspective

but buddhism believes in deitiies though. all the enlightened masters sit in nirvana and are effectively considered deities in the religion, even though Gautama told them they should not worship him as one

how many times do we have to tell you, atheism is NOT A RELIGION!
it is merely a disbelief in a god.
>inb4 hat meme

>This. Almost 80% of Buddhists are atheistic.
Most of them still believe in supernatural shit, though. He's not a real Buddhist

At least we don't worship a Jew

Nice meme pic.

you did until Hillary BTFO him

He's your typical ignorant materialist that didn't even bother to read any philosopher but is just limited to his bullshit psychology and other "science". He's comfortable for the Sup Forums mob because then they can believe that you can be a big headed smartass without having any wider general knowledge

t. A guy who doesn't know about Buddhism.

They are the same retards who think Islam is peaceful.

It has a fuck ton of them.

Karma, gods, reincarnation, heavens and hells. It's a religion m8, you just dont worship gods like other religions. You can look to them for help, but most Buddhists just use them as tools for meditation to destroy klesha (desires holding you in the reincarnation cycle), you can get by without them, but they exist. Get good karma but no enlightenment and you get sent to heaven. Gods die and are reincarnated and can end up in hell though, so the ideal is nirvana.
It also has people who rehect total enlightenment so they can be reborn and help more people. Buddha's are overrated, Bodhisattva's are the true MVP of the religion.

The first and last points are Hindu religion. The middle is a story of non canonical nature written by Leary that has nothing to do with the Buddism itself

The point is not whether Buddha is some idol or role model. He's just some guy. There have been and will be more like him. The point is the philosophy he represents, the way of thinking, not necessary to mimic him or want to be like him but more so just carrying on his message

kek'd

>He's just some guy
Fucking kek

well, you do know that hinduism existed before buddhism and influenced it to a large degree (and buddhism had some influence on hinduism and possibly other religions too)

als, they do believe in karma and realms and rebirths.

Buddhism has no gods.
atheism rejects the existence of deities

Buddhism doesn't preach whether there is or is no God
But it would be pretty retarded to believe in Nirvana and such and at the same time don't believe in a higher spirit or force

>atheism
>religion

Pick one.

they can be seen as separat issues

Even if you believe in God, free will still doesn't exist. It's not an argument of whether or not you are free to make choices in your life, it's an epistemological statement about the course of events in the universe. There is no element of randomness among the interaction of subatomic particles, and all of your choices are governed by chemicals in your brain, so the universe follows a specific path from its starting point. I'm sure you'll have some refutation to this but just take a minute and think about it.

Uh.... sure, euphoria....
?

And if someone philosophically agrees with buddhism but in no way believes in any mystical teachings of some of its sects, are they still religious? What does it fucking matter that some sects of buddhism are religious if the one we are referring to is not

>Buddhism has no gods.
But they do.
Please, you're no better than people saying Islam is non violent.

Buddhists have plenty of mythological monsters.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura_(Buddhism)

If you fuck up you also reincarnate as a hungry ghost or in the demn realm.

what this guy said I'm pretty sure Buddha never said anything on the existence of deities. But they do seem to believe in existence of soul (reincarnation, nirvana)

>And if someone philosophically agrees with Christianity but in no way believes in any mystical teachings of some of its sects, are they still religious?
You tell me.

>There is no element of randomness among the interaction of subatomic particles

really, so quantum physics would be an exact and precision science according to your statements. you could calculate the position particles at any given time??

ITT:

>Opinions from people who know absolutely nothing about Zen and Buddha's teachings

Listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=lxFB9YSFyJE

Thank me later.

no, they are not, but very few people would choose to philosophically agree with the scribblings of ancient paranoid godfearing christcucks rather than just coming up with their own morality that doesn't involve stoning people to death or crushing babies against rocks

>western buddhism

>see youtube link
>assume its alan watts video
>find out it is alan watts video
who would have guessed

>no, they are not,
Correct.
They are also not Christian, like atheist "buddhists" arent buddhists.

You surely can't say that quantum physics is random, and there are many theories on how it affects the universe. Regardless, we have no control over quantum particles so my point stands, free will doesn't exist objectively I just knew someone was going to bring up quantum physics as if they are some kind of savant, thinking they won the argument

meditation is just relaxing your stress in your brain its good for you yes you dont reach nirvana when you become good enough at it

only LSD heads obsessed with space make it anything more than that and "le tripping"

Buddhism believe in many deities
Also
>atheistic religion
Then why do atheists piss themselves when someone calls atheism a religion
youtube.com/watch?v=BTL-P2V8xKk

Except that buddha was a teacher who taught a different way of thinking, a way that is nonreligious and not at all contradictory with atheism.... are you really trying to compare christianity as your point?

I love Sam Harris threads, they always bring out the retards
>Hurr he is a Buddhist.
>Free will exists.
>U-utilitarians BTFOed!!

I mean, if someone has to follow all the tenets of all of buddhism across the world to be a buddhist, then of course nobody here is buddhist. Then again, by that logic, nobody is christian either, because everyone jacks off and dismisses other sects of christianity. I don't consider myself buddhist btw

you do know that double slit experiment shows that observer/conciosness has direct influence on the result of the experiment.

if physics was the way you describe it, why would it matter for an experiment if someone watches it or not??

he doesn't believe in buddhism. he believes in mindfulness though.

the path to enlightenment is impossible because in order to achieve you have to not have desire to achieve it in the first place

Buddhism in its purest form is not about a god, rituals or anything of that sort. It is about trying to master your inner experience, and bring balance to your life by looking at reality as it is. There are tools for this (e.g. meditation).

But, just like any other religion, people interpret it in different ways. There are christians who believe the earth is 6000 years old. Other christians read between the lines and look at the intention behind the messages written in the bible.

The same goes for buddhism. Dumb people make any religion too stupid by misinterpreting it. Even buddhism. Buddhism, compared to other religions, gives you better tools to grasp reality than any other religion can. It makes you question your experience, and what you actually are (or, as a buddhist would say, what you are not). It's somewhere between science and philosophy. It doesn't create and disprove theories, but it doesn't try to make you believe in any dogma either. Rather, it is trying to free you from any dogmatic beliefs you may have.

Buddhism is the most objective religion, if you can call it that.

No i think it has to do with the fact that Asian people are nonviolent inherently and genetically and despite their buddhism they would have been able to practice that type of discipline anyways

its nothing about the buddhism that is actually making a difference

Buddhism isn't a religion. It is a philosophy.

>in order to achieve you have to not have desire to achieve it in the first place
thats just bullshit. buddha was a fucking troll, your desire for enlightenment is a desire

>Buddhism isn't a religion. It is a philosophy.
yeah, according to westerners. but all easterners (where this religion originated) view it as a religion

Do you ever think we should just give up on westerners talking about Buddhism?
I'm western, I assume you are too, but I have never met a western Buddhist that wasnt retarded and heretical. It's sorta like Christians who just reduce everything to "God is love" and use it as an excuse to have no standards, or Japanese Christians who think Jesus visited Japan and his Japanese brother died in his place on the cross.

I think Buddhists in Asia see them like nazis see neo nazis, like communists see lgbtqjgf commies talking about queer intersectionallity and the means of production.

>remove religion
>see guys, it's compatible with atheism
No shit. Unfortunately Buddhism has karma, reincarnation and other such supernatural things.
If you want pure philosophy try stoicism. Much like Buddhism it deals with happiness via not being attached to anything beyond your control. Your emotions are all you have, and anything else can be enjoyed but not to the point of dependency.

Yep.
I would also argue enlightenment for yourself is selfish, so only the bodhisattva's would have a chance imo, as they are selfless thinking of others, not themselves.

Why did you post Ben Stiller?

to my defense, I read a book by some tibetan monk and the way he wrote about buddhism was very dogmatic.

he wrote about many paranatural phenomena, which surely cant be proven by science. like accumulation of some red and white fluids in the body during meditation, many realms one can be born into and similar.

but i guess westerners ignore those things and just focus on the things which go along with their beliefs. pick and choose parts and create your own version of buddhism

From what I know, he was asked the question many times and his answer was always that it didn't matter whether God(s) existed or not when it came to enlightenment, and focusing on such a question would become a distraction from the path and therefore would only prolong your suffering. In his opinion getting liberated was far, far more important--deities were irrelevant.

it matters when you go to hell if youre wrong

in writing sure there is no deity

but in practice in se asia most people treat the buddha much like an eastern jesus

people pray to him, offerings at statues, idol worship etc

there is a massive disconnect in the western world between what they think buddhism is, and how it actually functions as a religion in these societies

Just observer. Not consciousness.

religion =/= to theism

damn you, made me scroll up and check

I dont know about that. I have an internal feeling that it is very easy to achieve enlightenment, but nobody wants it.

Even a bad and painful life is still better than nothing at all (which is nirvana i'm guessing, not engaging in anything)

yeah, but that answer doesnt imply he denies existence of deities though

Budhas words after enlightenment:
"Seeking but not finding the house builder, I traveled through the round of countless births. Oh, painful is birth ever and again! House builder, you have now been seen. You shall not build the house again. Your rafters have been broken down; your ridge-pole is demolished too. My mind has now attained the unformed nirvana and reached the end of every kind of craving."

who is the housebuildr/architecht though??

We may have read the same guys stuff. As I read similar.
Just dug it out, author Jamgön Kongtrul, commentary by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche.

Notice we both say it's a religion and use devout Buddhist texts as source material, meanwhile philosophyfags use Alan Watts youtube videos.

I bet the cunts dont own the Dhammapada either.

Sam Harris is a Buddhist at heart. I honestly think he's just preaching the whole atheism crap for money because it's in right now.

Eternal damnation isn't a part of a Buddhist worldview, I believe that it's fundamentally impossible according to their belief system. I'm not saying anything in particular is true or untrue, however, I'm just sharing what I know of the religion. If you're able to correct me somewhere on this topic I would appreciate it greatly.

Do these atheists actually attend Buddhist temples? Or do they just say they are Buddhists because its fashionable for hippies and liberal types to claim to be Buddhist?

Do they really know anything about Buddhism? The Buddhist Texts, the story of Buddha, Buddhist concepts of suffering and the afterlife?

Or do they just collect Buddhist junk from Pier 1 and claim to be all about hippie peace and meditating? I doubt these people take Buddhism seriously and attend the temples or know much about Buddhism.

Indeed, it is.

>T. Buddhist.

What are you doing on this awful samsaric board?

>t. buddhist

>Even a bad and painful life is still better than nothing at all (which is nirvana i'm guessing, not engaging in anything)
Depends. Eternal life and boredom v not existing.
Best route is godhood and maintaining positive karma to stay in heaven.

Personally I dislike Buddhism. I think desire is great, it fuels progress. Desire is energy, it's how you use it that makes it good/bad.

fuck buddhism, get meditation, that's where the dank is at.

>implying Zen shit is Buddhism

lrn2Theravada

>Eternal damnation isn't a part of a Buddhist worldview
Yes it is. Thats what life is, nirvana being the only alternative. In Buddhism life is suffering, and you are in a cycle of suffering until you escape with enlightenment. It's just levels of suffering that vary, it's all bad in Buddha's eyes.

The latter.

Those hippy, liberal types are consider 'lays' but the reality is that they're aren't true Buddhists.

They could pass as Hindus, but even that takes some form of dedication.

Every religion has it's Protestants.

I post on a western Theravada Buddhist forum and they most certainly aren't liberals like you may think. Anyway it has nothing to do with politics.

Yeah, it's a mockery of the religion. Those faggots dont even try to give up their worldly desires, they always justify it by boiling it down to something shallow. Always. Cant wait to see liberals do this to Islam.

but athiests worship jewish political ideas

but athiests worship jewish political ideas. call me when they apply science to race

>Is muslim
>Shitposts in Sup Forums

Some sects of Buddhism have deities but most dont. Buddhism is more a way of life or an ideology than a religion where worship is central. Imo it is better to also have a religion while doing Buddhist practices because it can give you something to focus on during meditation and inspiration whole practicing your religion. You can be Christian and follow a lot of the Buddhist ways. Buddhism is actually very redpilled and can really help you if you are on the Christian path. If you practice it for years, your material desires slowly go away. But it requires serious dedication. On my final note, atheistic Buddhist tend to be assholes. I appreciate that they want to practice for a better life but their reasons always tend to be egotistical.

>yeah, but that answer doesnt imply he denies existence of deities though
All I meant to say was that Buddhism as a religion is apatheistic. Believers may or may not believe in Gods--it's sort of optional in a way. I wouldn't expect anything the Buddha said to essentially go toward either attitude towards this question. I have no opinion on what he believed here.

Eternal damnation means it goes on forever. The Buddha described our kind of reality as 'Dukkha', which is usually translated in English literally as suffering, but that's not quite true. It just meant that enlightenment is the only permanent way to be happy, things which are 'dukkha' are subject to change, even if they're inherently enjoyable. Being rich is dukkha, because your money will not go with you after you die. Having a big family is also dukkha. Orgasms are dukkha. The perception of beauty is dukkha. Everything is dukkha except enlightenment. Within Buddhism, however, everyone will inevitably become enlightened eventually, so I guess a universal and eternal salvation is fundamental to Buddhism instead of damnation.

well it was a free ebook on ibooks, cant seem to find it now. but yeah, it was very dogmatic and I tried to proactively ignore all the dogma in it

they do speak about temporary damnation though, being born in realm of hungry ghosts and similar

Who knows, nirvana might be in reality being born as a chicken or bacteria or some other sort of low conciseness being.
>low level of conciseness
>no mental problems
>living in the now
>not much struggle to survive
>0 or no pain at all
>no fear of death

bbc.co.uk/schools/religion/buddhism/buddha_day_questions.shtml

>All Buddhists live by the Five Moral Precepts which are refraining from:

> harming living things
> taking what is not given
> sexual misconduct
> lying or gossip
> taking intoxicating substances eg drugs or drink

Many of these Atheist liberal hippie types break some of the precepts. They take drugs and drink, they most certainly engage in sexual misconduct, they definitely use Facebook and Twitter to gossip, they vote for socialists who "take what is not given." Buddhist monks have an additional 5 precepts they must follow.

Pretty sure he's jewish.

Or the very least a zionist.

He's not Anglo, he's a Jew.

They still fear death and pain, hence chickens run like fuck from a fox.
Dogma didnt bother me, I will take dogmatic shit from a close, devout source instead of some watered down, heavily edited version made for people who want to be "buddhist" but not commit or do anything inconvenient. It's truer to the original.
Like would you learn about Islam from libtards, or would you just read the quran? One is someone warping an ideology for their own convenience, the other is what it actually is.

Funny thing, sexual misconduct is the same as Christianity. But liberals are too dumb to realize Buddhism see's gays as sinners.
Buddhists are also anti abortion.

well, it didnt bother me either I just couldnt buy into it (bullshit alarm went off every time).

maybe nirvana is the time in womb before birth. if I have any conciosness/choice after death, I will try avoiding going to the light or being reborn though. But according to most buddhist, 99% of people are not even given a choice (you just get reborn, probably going though the light is just entering a new body)

I implore anybody to read even one buddhist sutra. They are filled with "miracles" and deities. Devas, Asura, Kimnaras, Mahoragas, Rakshasa demons, the gods of the heavens and the devils of the hells will all attend the great assembly for Buddha's preaching.

In the Lotus Sutra by itself all the funkiest shit happens. In it a dragon loli princess comes to Buddha and btfos sexists and becomes a perfect Buddha in a single instant even though some buddhist followers thought that women can't become Buddhas and that it takes countless life times to become a Buddha.

Buddhists take incredibly crazy supernatural happenings in their stride like it's nothing. Instantly traveling between different buddha lands and realms, what could maybe be equated in our thought of today as travelling between galaxies and alternate universes instantly. Vimilakirti makes his sick room he's in large enough to hold millions of bodhisattvas without making the room larger or the outside world become cramped by his room, then brings in lotus seats some yojanas (around 8 miles = yojana i believe) in height that bodhisattvas can instantly sit in comfortably while the arahats can not.

Yeah, it's amazing reading if you're into Morrowind.

Don't be talking about TES now

you can follow buddhist philosophy without following the religion.

yeah, specailly tibetan buddhism (which westerners seem to like most)

For example the story about Milarepa..
>When his father died, Milarepa's uncle and aunt took all of the family's wealth. At his mother's request, Milarepa left home and studied sorcery. While his aunt and uncle were having a party to celebrate the impending marriage of their son, he took his revenge by summoning a giant hailstorm to demolish their house, killing 35 people, although the uncle and aunt are supposed to have survived. The villagers were angry and set off to look for Milarepa, but his mother got word to him, and he sent a hailstorm to destroy their crops.

#notAllMilarepa he a good boy, din do nuffin

you can pick and choose parts of any religion then. you can pick the part from islam where its OK to have multiple and undrage wifes and ignore the rest too

This feeds into the dragon loli buddha I mentioned