What went wrong?

jews

Germans

The jews had been scattered by that time period...
Unless you're talking about the Byzantine Empire...

Reliance on a war economy and expansionism
also

fucking germans

Giving the German mercenaries land in Italy was a big one

Degeneracy.

They abandoned their true Gods and went for Christianity.

We are Rome Burger

They started to take more and more immigrants from underdeveloped lands while alien middle eastern cult gained more and more influence.

Rome had politics too you degenerate
go back to >>/r/eddit

Germans being Germans. That and a lot more shitty Emperors than good ones.

Degeneracy, immigration, spread too thin.

exactly the same what is the problem with eu now

multi-culti hedonist society spiced with incompetent leaders

Confirmed for not know a goddamn fucking thing about Rome.

>Byzantine Empire

>"Hey you're a barbarian right? How do you feel about becoming a Roman?"

>"Hey, you're a painter right? How do you feel about serving in the legions?"

>Degeneracy
I don't get this meme at all
What do you even mean? Like Caligula? Because Rome fell much later than him

the switch to christianity was one of the factor of the fall of rome , wasnt a big one but it was part of it

>Like Caligula?
No like Elagabalus

Welp, I guess they sold the leadership around alot up to the golden age of islam which then sent Europe into darkness right up into the crusades

Germanics barbarians pagans and degeneracy

WE WUZ

>meme

The Romans at their height were the most degenerate murderous perverts this Earth has ever shit out.

Degeneracy and loose morals destroys social cohesion and a nation from within, similar to what we are witnessing right now.

Caligula was a leader of that place long ago. What does that tell you about the rest of the people?

But that's wrong.

THE THIRD ROME STILL HERE
WE WUUUUUUZ

Mass migration coupled with a string of retard leaders who were unable to deal with it

Using foreign mercenaries as a standing army.
It never works.

White people

Caligula was assassinated after 3 years as emperor so it tells me people got sick of his shit

this , when they started to recruit officers in conquered territory it turned to shit
biggest example : teutoburg forest betrayal

Germans and an overextended empire.

>Elagabalus
You mean that less viscous Caligula with even less of a legacy? Who was assassinated after like, 2 years?
I'm not sure I get it
That's a pretty dumb post, user.

Like every great peoples, the Romans were black.

Poor handling of economy, too large borders, urban-poor, giant farms that jacked up bread prices, led in fucking every-single-fucking-thing, hyper-political society, multiculturalism and foreing religions dividing the country.

Lot of shit hit the fan at the sams time. Shit happens. They had a good run tough.

You're a pretty dumb person, user.

*lead in everything

You were wondering what they meant by degeneracy, and he's a prime example. Also, it was 4 years, not 2

Also this

AYO WHITE BOI DEZ ROMANZ WERE NIGGAS

WE WUZ HASTATI AND SHIEET

Lead aqueduct pipes, and lead cookware (pots, pans, plates, forks, etc). A lot went sterile, some went insane, and many just died.

I still believe that is the primary reason for their fall.

Sure, but at least I'm haflway educated about the Roman empire. I'm not sure where you got this notion that Caligula was popular, or that anyone would ever consider his reign part of Rome's height.
I also still don't even know exactly what you mean by degeneracy. You mean like, sexual deviancy I assume? People tend to use that word to indicate some sort of decline or deviance from the previous more "pure' ways of living, but I'm not sure if that really existed.

Is there any actual evidence that his sexual escapades (to put it lightly), in anyway lowered overall moral standings of the Romans? Caligula is usually shat on by everyone because of his general incompetence, unwillingness to be an actual emperor, and mental illness. His sexual deviancy (the accounts of which are incredibly sketchy FYI) just made him especially infamous.

Meme theory

People will talk about expansionism and immigrants, bad rulers, but Rome had faced greater threats when it was weaker they got crushed at Canne and only became more determined, Later on there were just not enough Romans left, there were lots of people living in Rome and Italy but they weren't Romans, Much of the cause of this relates to their success around Julius Ceasers time Wealth and slaves flowed into Rome Destroying the Citizen Soldiers, small farmers, who were the Roman middle class, eventually the Roman middle class was much smaller leaning toward merchants with a large slave underclass and very rich upper echelon, when issues came up in the later Empire there was no sizable group left with a vested interest in the Empires fate, merchants care more worried about money, to fall back on when the Upper class screwed up, It done for after the murder of Flavius AĆ«tius.

Nothing specific happened, it was just the natural processes of time. Notable "negative" events in Rome's history from which the country never really recovered could be losses to the Germans and the Persians that really fixed the empire's boundaries as stagnant; the introduction of Christianity eroded the traditional culture and morals and created class conflict; the Crisis of the Third Century was a terrible time itself, some even arguing that it marked the end of Classical Antiquity. The Empire after that event was extremely despotic in character. The invasion of the Huns marked the beginning of the migration period that saw Rome's inability to directly expel border peoples and saw their inclusion, which saw the increasing mongrelization of not only the empire's ruling classes but also its core populations.

In the West, party/family politics crippled the focus of a state that should have worked to defeat its enemies, leading to its overthrow by foreigners. In the East, the same thing happened. The ERE, increasingly losing territory, manpower, and revenue, was crippled with regard to recovering the lost regions, and was put on the defensive, from which they never recovered. In the end, party/family politics allowed the corrupt end of that state.

So I guess the most potent factor between both is a failure to assess the strategic situation. What was once a strong Republic where the people themselves felt destiny guiding their actions became a decrepit, inert state that was unable to conquer its problems.

You've got it backwards. They benefited from plunder, but unlike, say, the mongols, they weren't dependent on it.

Most of the worthwhile bits of the Empire had already been conquered under Augustus, but when he died they still went strong for more than a century.

When they started to become degenerate, their military power suffered, and they stopped getting land and started losing ground.

8ch.
net/
pol/
res/
html

They fucking used lead even as a fucking wine additive. It's a funny sounding but plausible theory you fucking leaf

really makes you think

Personal theory: Nothing. They are brilliant and went to live on as the 'holy spirit' through the Catholic Church. Pretty amazing empire until the last century.

This

>I'm not sure where you got this notion that Caligula was popular, or that anyone would ever consider his reign part of Rome's height.

I never said he was but his reign certainly coincided with the height of the Western Empire.

You started talking about Caligula, I didn't. And the people had fallen into extreme degeneracy (you seem to having trouble with this word. Look it up in a dictionary if it continues to perplex you).

They literally watched people get murdered and women get raped by animals for fun, just like we would go to the movies or a ballgame today.

Christianity, the military becoming too powerful and the tetrarchy.
tetrarchy and Christianity decentralized Rome and ultimately lead to a loss of Roman identity.
The military reverted to the model of the late republic where influential figures like Sulla, Marius, Caesar could gain power over the state. Vespasian used the military to show that an emperor did not need to be a Julio-Claudian, all they needed as money and power. Plus the military killed off the last of the Severians which lead to the 3rd century crisis and the rise of the tetrarchy

Christianity decentralized Roman cities especially Rome by placing importance on events occuring indoors and outside of the city. Paganism created social cohesion by being public events that were to be 'for the well being of the city'

>Christianity

NO.

Rome was already turbofucked long before Constantine turned Rome Christian.

And the Eastern, VERY, Christian Empire lasted for another thousand years.

They didn't have the internet

Kleptocractic society that used slave labour.

WE WUZ ROMANS N SHEEIT.

DELETE THIS

Rome was crawling with christians long before it became a state religion.

This. Without wars, Rome became degenerate.

They fell for the diversity meme.

Then why did the Empire stop expanding in the second century as "Rome ceased to vanquish" and almost immediately followed up with a succession wars with that culminating in the Crisis of the Third century. This was the deathknell of the Empire as it turned into the a christian state that split into the east and west and eventually wearing it into the meme
>HRE

this doesn't explain why the fanatically christian eastern roman empire survived for another thousand years you dumb kangaroo