What are some of the most blatant examples of characters being ripped off in comics?

What are some of the most blatant examples of characters being ripped off in comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/FSUwz
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doom Patrol and X-Men

Not this shit again. I hate to break it to you but just because one company comes up with a certain power skill first doesn't mean no one else can ever use it again.

Thank you, Pham. Besides, why ruin fun?

Yes it does

*the fun

This is just another excuse for DCucks to whine because someone took an idea and actually made money off of it instead of being stuck with Dung Patrol and Deathstrokin' it.

no because power sets aren't unique concepts, the stories behind them are. just like henry david thoreau can't claim forest as his and now no one can write about camping in the forest.

OP's pic is cute though. Why assume it's meant to be argumentative instead of hypercrisis?

Doom Patrol ripped off of X men though.

Why don't more people seem to get this?

That's just DC hoping they can straight up steal shit like they stole Captain Marvel from Fawcett back in the day. "But we had a strong guy in a cape first, your honor".

It's really funny when you think about it. DC's marketing staff has seemed to be always shit since the characters they ripped from Marvel aren't popular. But when you take look at Marvel...X-Men, Deadpool and many more.

Posts most blatant examples of characters being ripped off in comics, then posts the same character but two different brands of.

hyper crisis would imply that they're the same guy from different universes, right?

because they're nothing alike besides scientist who get small. original atom was nothing like original ant-man. modern ant-man is nothing like current atom. also current pym is nothing like ray palmer (is he still atom? or is it still that one girl?).

Not exactly, hypercrisis is more that there is SOMETHING driving human thought and creativity causing unintended connections and unknown connections.

Then why would he post about them being "ripped off" if it was just hypercrisis?

The first thing you need to do when you're in a hole is stop digging.

A man in a wheelchair hardly makes x-men a ripoff.

It could have been tongue in cheek. We'll never know now because the thread has descended into butthurt.

He didn't precise who ripped who.

this piece of shit

You have to give DC mercy with that one. Namor is at best an ancillary character and DC tried to make him a main one. The poor bastards.

is this a joke

DC took a boring character and tried to make him an A-list character and it's always failed.

>Namor is at best an ancillary character
Not when Aquaman was first created. Namor was arguably Timely's most popular character at the time of Aquaman's creation. Marvel's "Big 3" were Human Torch, Captain America, and Namor. Namor was the exact opposite of an ancillary character at the time.

>at the time
>Timely
>Marvel's "Big 3" were

Times change user and yet DC still tries to shoehorn telepathic fish guy onto the A-list. At least "Timely" had the sense to stop making Namor solo books if there ever were any.

The most obvious one is Wade Wilson. Marvel wasn't even trying with that one

> Marvel wasn't even trying with that one

Have you not seen Youngblood? Liefeld took a bunch of Teen Titans characters and jsut remade them

I don't think any Image character was as blatant as Shadwohawk though

>Doom Patrol's first appearence was in June, 1963
>Xmen's was September of that year
There you have it. Doom Patrol is completely a X-man ripoff

> Ours was four whole months before yours. Take that!!!!
And one is a franchise with billions of dollars made and the other franchise is blowing hobos at the bus station of eating money. Rule #1: If you are going to steal, make sure you do a better job than the first guy did.

>for eating money.

Ooops.

Xmen is still a ripoff

>We had a guy in a wheelchair first!!!
I hope that keeps DC warm at night. I don't see anyone throwing millions of dollars at them to make Dawn Patrol movies.

>Doom Patrol.

Hell, even I have trouble remembering who they are. Someone get their picture on a milk carton.

Rap rap rapid fire time

>xmen and doom patrol
>nova corps and green lanterns
>nightwing and moon knight
>deadpool and deathstroke
>hulk and doomsday
>thanos and darkseid
>hawkeye and green arrow
>flash and quicksilver
>namor and aquaman
>superman and captain marvel (shazam)
>rocketeer and adam strange
>atom and antman
>plastic/elastic man and mr fantastic
>doom patrol and fantastic 4

and probably tons more.

>nightwing and moon knight
How are these 2 similar? Grayson and Moon Knight are nothing alike.

>>doom patrol and fantastic 4

You mean Challengers of the Unknown?

when you put it like that hypercrisis is stupid, not arguing against you. just that it sounds like the concept is there's pointless conspiracy to the universe across all universes fake and real. but the point is there's no explanation or reason. simply stuff can be similar or coincidental. spot the 7's and you win a no prize for life.

>superman-cpt marvel
go fuck yourself, idiot-schill.

SuperdupermanExactly

Apopenia is the dna of the human soul

>DC
>copied by Marvel
>copied by DC
>copied by Marvel
I think Marvel looks bad under the whole scope. Though the "super powered misfit outcasts shunned by society" they took really was the big sell point with X-Men.

people where a lot dumber back in the day, i don't think that should fly modernly. the judge was probably like
>well one looks red and one looks blue and red...you know what yeah they looks the same to me, guilty.

I refuse to acknowledge X-Men as a Doom Patrol rpioff becauses asides from Byrne's and maybe Kupperberg's runs DP is one of the most consistently well written teams even though each author's idea for it was different

It normally is considered batman, but due to dick dealingwith more supernatural shit than batman, the truncheons, and the fact that they were combined in the amalgam universe is why those two

that is exactly what the dc heads thought of shazam when he was part of a different company, so dc bought them out.

Blue Marvel, Invincible, etc........

>amalgam
only because they already planned on doing the cash-cows, bats n wolvie beforehand.

Dick doesn't have another supernatural powers at all and the amalgam universe excuse means fuck all. I guess that mean Wolverine and Batman are the same character too.

>Apopenia is the dna of the human soul

isn't that just normal life in our galaxy, everything is different shapes of the same, because we expanded from one cell which kept multiplying and took different forms but it's still the same shit.

no but his time in the teen titains made him deal with more supernatural enemies than bats

But he has no powers at all... Experience means jack shit when accusing characters of being copied from one other. You can look at a lot of that list and go "yeah, I can see that" but short of both being while men, there's not a thing in common between Spector and Grayson.

>that's what DC thought when captain marvel was outselling superman, so they decided to go to court, lose multiple times, yet repeatedly appealed as to bankrupt the other co. a la jp morgan.
ftfy

Superman's powerset has become the archetype for a generic superhero. it's not the fault of creators for using archetypes if they work effectively to get the message across

>> Ours was four whole months before yours. Take that!!!!
They're not even slightly the same though. Doom Patrol is a band of misfits, while X-Men at its core, is about a group of people with diverse powers, but a shared identity.

But Dude, ours had a guy in a wheelchair first so that's exactly the same as them stealing every idea from us.

What is a ripoff to you guys? Cause I'm confused if say something like a character with the ability of Speed can be considered a ripoff of Flash just cause they have the same ability or do you mean in a story sense

which one was first Sup Forums?

Man-Thing was created a few months before Swamp Thing, so make of that what you will.

>What is a ripoff to you guys?
For me it's not so much because of a power set as to when it's almost identical. you can look at Namor/Aquaman & Deathstroke/Deadpool and realized that someone should have sued someone long before now. For me Quicksilver/Flash have absolutely nothing in common short of running fast.

LOL Ah, i see you are from the "Original Character, Do Not Steal" camp

thats the dumbest example ever

It should mean no one else can ever use it in the same exact way again.

No, that actually means the exact opposite and I'm the same user. I have no problem with similar characters as long as they aren't being blatant about it. Otherwise, there would probably be no new characters after 1965 or so.

One of the Scarecrows. Don't know which came first.

Not once but twice

DC has the advantage of being around since the 30's

I'd say bog monster is a general enough trope.

imgur.com/gallery/FSUwz

Longshot has nothing to do with Booster though.

Maybe if you're lucky, you'll get a lame excuse like the Nightwing/Moon Knight one.

Other than charismatic blonde with a star logo on their torso.

which is also funny because marvel admits x-men was more a reaction to teen titans. them wanting a teen super group.

also strangely enough fantastic four was their response to jla. the avengers idea took them a while to get to.

>also strangely enough fantastic four was their response to jla
Yeah, it was more of a general "We need an answer to this" than a straight rip, so Kirby ended up basically building off of his work with Challengers of the Unknown, while Lee took it as an opportunity to write the more realistic, imperfect superheroes he wanted to write.

That's debunked bs. Kirby says that Lee lied, that he came up with them himself, and that they were to compete with another of his creations, Challenger... you know.
If you're calling King Kirby a liar, you know where the door is.

>If you're calling King Kirby a liar, you know where the door is.
Kirby says he created Spider-Man too.

>Kirby says that Lee lied
Kirby says a lot, doesn't mean he's always right. The man was one of the greats, but he wasn't infallible.

>Kirby says he created Spider-Man
Wait, really?

Yeah, he made the claim several times. Between Lee, Kirby, and Ditko, I'm not sure there's even 2 stories that match.

Lee and Ditko both laying claims to Spider-Man is a no brainier. But why the actual fuck does Kirby think he created Spider-Man?

Rich would be a black lantern now.

Lee had Kirby work on the character at first, but wasn't impressed with what he saw, apparently, and thought it was "too heroic", so he gave it to Ditko, which makes sense, as Ditko seemed to inject a lot of the ANGST Lee was looking for. I think Kirby had a general habit of not actually looking into what the final published product was, but knowing that he worked on something, and kind of went through thinking "I did this, so I created it".

Lee lied quite a bit when his only deal was "writing" credits. Shit, Lee would be a nobody if not for Kirby, the company was shutting down before Kirby came on board.

Source on that excerpt?

wow

I can't believe Araki stole The Hand from Jack Kirby

That's not entirely true. There's been tons of research (Urslen did some that discredited another story Lee gave) on the subject, and it mostly seems like Lee just didn't want to split the credit three ways.
1/2

2/2

thats the dumbest opinion ever

>in the interview published in Spirit Magazine #39 he stated that the basis for Spider-Man started with a character called the silver Spider
Here is Kirby's idea for the Silver Spider. As you can see, it has a lot in common with the final product of Spider-Man.

>Guy with a spider on his shirt. It's like looking in a mirror.

yeah a response isn't a rip it's just a fill for a consumer demand.

it's not calling king kirby a liar, calm down 4worldfag.

it's completely believable and seems completely true that a marvel as a business would react to the market in certain ways. jla was big at the time there was nothing like it. it combined all the top heroes of that publisher for the first time as their own book. f4 makes sense to be a response to needing a team book, if kirby invented all of it by himself, okay cool. that doesn't mean stan lied when he said the company needed a team book. f4 sold as marvels first family, their team book to respond to jla. avengers came by later as something else. now more closely sided with avengers/jla comparison. same thing with teen titans and x-men. having the idea for mutants and wanting to do a book of freak heroes is great, good for kirby. but the business/marvel needed to fill a hole created by the demand of readers for more teen led books. hence x-men is perfect at the time to rival TT.

yes both are completely different, and it doesn't take shit away from glorious kirby, you're too busy talking shit about stan lee to see it's not untrue what stan always said.

they're two sides of a coin needed to make the company famous kirby the artistic talent, stan the business talent. they needed eachother to survive and thrive. but stan being more business and less art obviously gets the better monetary deal. because kirby was too not involved in that aspect of his own accord. it's a dick move by companies, but kirby was a grown capable man who let it happen.

That's nothing like Spider-Man.

Methinks Kirby is being a fag because he didn't make one of the Big Three, but Lee did.

>physical aspect
>about concept
What a dumbass, to have to move goalposts to "costume" out of nowhere. Fucking disgusting.

Aren't a lot of heroes already based off of preexisting characters?

Apophenia,sorry

>What a dumbass, to have to move goalposts to "costume" out of nowhere
>costume
Oh, I'm sorry. Here's a bit of the underlying concept for the Silver Spider. As you can see, there's Spider-Man's famous magical Spider-Ring