So, who was he?

So, who was he?

nu52 Superman appreciation thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=udUCjJphE-0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Prime Time

Kal-L

How much you wanna bet that the Rebirth storyline will end with Prime fighting Manhattan? How much you wanna bet that it will be just as stupid/awesome as it sounds?

Superboy. Chris Kent

I legit would not mind that. Not at all. Matter of fact, that would be pretty goddamned awesome.

Originally he was a new version of Superman, like how post-Crisis Superman was a new version and they never really explained whether he was really Silver-Age Supes.

And now... I guess he is nobody, since if the Rebirth scenario works out it would appear Bearded Superman is in fact this guy.

I won't lie: I am pretty angry.

He's definitely Kal-L, but Chris Kent would be good as well.

And Mon-El would just be plain funny.

He was somebody. That's for damn sure. They can't have a Superman around for five years, kill him off and then just let his story end like that. His actual identity will be a plot point in the overall Rebirth story. Bank on it.

I don't get it. How is this Superman not Superman? How does he not know who he is?

Why doesn't Superman just go in front of congress and lobby for a law that criminalizes putting pennies in your ears?

If he's Kal-L it fits basically perfectly. Kal-El and Lois were out of the universe due to Convergence when Manhattan was fucking with shit so naturally Kal-L and his wife (whose bodies were in E-0 when Flashpoint happened) were reborn to take their place.

Maybe he does! READ AND FIND OUT!

So it's a reincarnation?

It's just a theory, but possibly yes

>Prankster

That's what we need more of right now. Some light-hearted chicanery. I love that he gets nothing more out of super villainy than annoying the hell out of Superman.

We don't get to pick the things that fix us, Red. Make us whole.

>Bank on it.

I wish I was still as innocent as you.

Superman may not matter to Zack Snyder, but he certainly matters to Geoff Johns, Tomasi and Dan Jurgens.

Tomasi is debatable

Tomasi was way off his game during that last big arc, but he'll do perfectly fine with Superman starting next month.

He was bad on SMWW, but I give him a pass on that because it's a shit ship that no one could write well. But that two month crossover death arc though was enough to sour me on him again as far as Superman is concerned. And honestly I wasn't that big of a fan of his even on GLC, but perhaps it was more due to the book becoming "set this shit up for Blackest Night" rather than just telling stories about the cast (meaning again not something he can control). Of course Action and Superman both feel like they're kind of event-ish books too, so if that's his problem then I don't see it getting better.

The non-Superman Superbooks do seem fun though.

>Mon-El
Did Doc M remove all the lead in the atmosphere?

Yeah. Who knows right now. I'm not too thrilled about Jurgens, myself, but...I'm keeping an open mind if for no other reason than seeing how Post-Crisis Superman deals with the current Lex.

Are you by any chance a time traveler? Does Hillary beat Trump?

I liked how Superdad just waits for him to come back like its a family tradition (which technically it is)

The way "Oz" implies it, I would gather Nu52 Supes is a fabrication akin to the Eradicator and the real one is in hiding.

Or Superdad is really him but from the future and put in the present because reasons.

Obviously someone dosed him with a temporary serum before putting him in that rocket as a babby but it wore off in time and that's really what was killing him.

Just need a way to fit the second Lois into this. That's the problem with all of these theories besides Kal-L.

All I'm saying is that Tomasi is a good writer. So long as he isn't weighed down by editorial mandates he does great work, especially when it comes to superheroes being dads.

It sounds like Superdad is the genuine article, the real Superman of Earth-0. How they're gonna square the circle with Convergence is anyone's guess, though, especially when that storyline is an integral part of his backstory.

youtube.com/watch?v=udUCjJphE-0

At this point, they could make anything out of him. He could be Kal-L, Superboy Prime, Chris Kent, some new clone, or even he'll turn out to be a reincarnation of SA Supes.

Whatever he turns out to be, I hope it's well thought out and entertaining.

I, for one, would love to see something like SA Supes vs. Doctor Manhattan. That could be so over-the-top it could be fun as hell to read.

I want it to be Kal-L, if only because I'm still mad they killed in Infinite Crisis.

nu52 Superman is a little too weak to be silver age Superman, though. I mean, silver age Superman juggled planets.

Am I the only one who's pretty excited for Rebirth Supes? Tomasi and Jurgens sound pretty great to me, while Tynion doesn't.

>dat damian
:3

but Kal is Golden-age supes

Man, what a clusterfuck. I wonder how are they going to retcon shit to say Superdad was always the real Superman of this world. Are they going to retcon all NuSuperman's history?

I'm excited as hell. Superdad is always fantastic.

Superman is now as complicated as Hawkman. But no one is highlighting that because he's Superman and not Hawkman.

>It's okay when Superman does it

They already did. All they had to do was have Wally say, in Rebirth, that this was the same world as before, but someone fucked around with the timeline. Which is what happened. So, nothing is retconned, nothing is rebooted. All that's needed to find out is what nu52 Supes' deal is.

Ohhh, okay. Now that really would make a lot of sense, and would fit in perfectly with Morrison's Action Comics.

No Superman's origin is still alien baby from dying Krypton landed in Kansas and raised by nice people.

Kal-L is Golden Age Supes.

Pre-Crisis Earth-1 Superman is theoretically continuous with Post-Crisis Superman, and Superdad is surprisingly close to Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, so I'm willing to go with that.

It's really not that complicated, though. Superdad is the Superman of Earth-0, and he knocked up Lois when Brainiac captured a portion of Metropolis during Flashpoint. He then made it back to Earth-0 with his family, thinking that it was a different world than the one that they left, only to discover that it's the same one as ever.

I wonder if people would have more more accepting of New 52 Superman if the shitty Jim Lee costume never existed.

And Hawkman's origin is that he's a police from the planet Thanagar. See? It's not that complicated.

He was a Super man.

The only thing people weren't accepting of with nu52 Supes was his stupid relationship with Wonder Woman.

Who is also an infinitely reincarnating prince from ancient Egypt whose life is intertwined with his girlfriend's, while also being an archeologist from St. Roch.

But Pre-Flashpoint Superman didn't have a career nor a real life in this world. NuSuperman did.

If this is Pre-Flashpoint but with years taken where are Ma and Pa Kent?

There are two versions. Golden Age is hero from ancient Egypt that infinitely reincarnates and his current life is that of an archeologist.

Silver Age is Thanagarian space cop.

Stick to one. Simple as that.

I think how it works is like this: Manhattan took Superman out of the timeline at the end of it and reset it back ten years, while also having the replacement Superman take the original's life. Something like that.

And his title series was fucking garbage until Johns hopped on it.

Brainiac took him out not Manhattan, but otherwise yeah

The level of involvement that Manhattan has in this whole thing is the most confusing part of it.

>Manhattan: Time to edit the universe
>Brainiac: Yoink
>Manhattan: Hey, where's Superman? Me damn it, I can't make a universe without Suerman
>Manhattan: Fuck it. I'll just grab [TBA] and mold [TBA] into Superman to fill in

Not that confusing.

I hope this is the real dialogue when they reveal it

DC oughta hire you to write recaps.

For this Superman to work as the original, he has to get back his entire history and replace the N52 one even in the past. Otherwise it's not different than him being from another different universe.

Basically, the question then is what makes superman different from Batman, who was also on the Blood Moon

He was returned to the timeline after Convergence ended, and then got Manhattan'd along everyone else. Superman got away with Lois and Jon and came back to the timeline when it was already edited.

No its the return of Superman. The poser is dead and gone.

He wasn't a poser. He was Superman. Whatever his actual origin was, he earned that much.

He's kor-el , his secret hunchback brother

And Ma and Pa Kent raised this "fake" Superman from N52? He stole Pre-Flashpoint Supes' life then.

I don't get the love for post crisis Superman. He replaced the much superior pre crisis Superman. He didn't even have a lot of great runs. I say fuck him; flashpoint was well deserved.

Both their contributions to Superman have been terrible. I'm already missing Paktion. It wasn't the best, but boy was it ten times better than what we have now

"Stealing" implies ill intent, and "fake" implies that he wasn't, in all intents and purposes, Superman. But yes, essentially.

For anyone who read Supreme, I get the hunch a similar scenario will play out.

>He didn't even have a lot of great runs
>What is the entire 1986-1994 Post-Crisis era
>What is the entire 2006-2010 Post-Infinite Crisis era
>What is the Joe Kelly era
>What is the Greg Rucka era

The hell are you talking about? Post-Crisis Superman had a ton of great stories. Up, Up and Away, Escape from Bizarro World, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Death and Return of Superman, Fall of Camelot, Third Kryptonian, Geoff Johns entire run, Superman: Last Son of Krypton, Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice and the American Way, Peace on Earth, Superman: For All Seasons and those are just the ones I'm remembering off the top of my head.

>Death and Return of Superman

Uh-oh, you shuldn't have mentioned that here. Sup Forums has a hateboner for pretty much any 90s event comics. I personally like it and I think it's one of the better comic book events written and not only nostalgia, not deserving of all the hate it gets, but that's how it is.

Even looking past the nostalgia, it's got some really great stuff in it.

It really gets the larger than life struggle feel well. The death of Superman is just the beginning of a larger story, it works as a prologue of sorts. It introduced great characters such as Erradicator, Superboy, Steel and Cyborg Superman, and that stuff is even better. The stuff with the funeral and Pa Kent is emotional as fuck and it's a great look at how Superman inspired people.

It benefitted of have been done in an era where this event stuff was still new. It's got the edge of the first time impact. Nowadays you can't make a memorable event because every high concept pitch has been done already.

Couldn't've said it better myself. It's more than just an 'event comic,' and while it had a deleterious effect on comics as a whole (as much as I like it, I can't deny that it's one of the biggest things to damage the concept of death in comics), it was still a damn good story in and of itself.

Eradicator was around before Reign of Supermen but he was a minor character that looked like him in a few issues of Action Comics I believe.

Wouldn't call any of of them great as really great. Most of them were inconsistent. Post infinite crisis had potential and was great for a long time, but the new Krypton that it was building for didn't end well. Johns should've stayed on it for longer.

I said runs, not individual story arcs or minis.

WHAT A TWEEST

>I said runs, not individual story arcs or minis.

Geoff Johns, Dan Jurgens, Kurt Busiek. That's three right off the top of my head.

>for like 50 goddamn years writers and artists were obsessed with hooking up Superman and Wonder Woman
>relaunch their main universe, get a chance to do it, and fumble it

Superman was perfectly fine doing fun stuff in Batman/Superman & World's Finest, and it being homoerotic as all hell for as long as Superman and Batman were constantly teaming up. No reason they couldn't have done it with Wonder Woman. You don't even have to scale things down since Wonder Woman can operate in Superman's weight class.

I know Supreme but haven't read it yet. Explain further.

Post-Flashpoint was worse.

So It really has a high probability that it's Kal. Kal's body is on New Earth.

Morrison's Action Comics and Truth were both fantastic stories, even if Truth went on for a bit too long.

He's the Superman I grew up reading so as far as I'm concerned he is THE Superman and nothing Johns does will change that.

underage get out

I'm convinced it's him now just like I was convinced the way to get white Wally was just to have him run out of the speed force one day (and it happened). I feel like I know Johns and this is the sort of shit he would pull.

>Superdad
>Superwoman
>Lanaman
>Luthorman
>Karr Err
Superman family is getting bigger everyday.
What happened to new52perboy?

He's apparently Kal-L now, and his Lois is Earth-2 Lois. So now the younger superman is older and the older superman is younger. The universe has been flipped on its head.

you forgot Chinaman

But what if the space cop is a reincarnation of the hero from ancient egypt?

Ha! No, he's still nowhere near as complicated as Hawkman, now Superboy from New 52 quickly reached hawkman levels of convoluted.

he was Superbro and he was too good for the comic book world, both in universe and normies/nostalgia faggots

I feel like they're just gonna ignore/retcon the SHIT out of Convergence.

Nobody liked it, it was a sales dud, and it raises way more questions than it answers.

At least it brought back Parahal.

Bug monster completely ruins him.

It was another one of those "Nothing will EVER. BE. THE. SAME." events, except it changed literally nothing and retconned itself at the end and then went on a huge monologue about how all comic book fans are entitled babies, their favorite comic book characters still EXIST, just in objectively shittier forms such as the travesty that is Earth 2, and therefore they have no right to complain and should continue to purchase whatever DC shits out.

No shit nobody liked it.

One of the few things that it actually changed, aside from bringing back Parahal and Superdad was that it was a convoluted explanation to Multiversity's existence, which was totally unnecessary. Why did they have to say, "This is where the Multiverse came from?" The Multiverse doesn't need an origin story.

52 is the origin of that Multiverse.

Although tweaked a little after Flashpoint.

When they merge both continuities it will be, because they won't be able to explain how the fuck N52 Superman was operating at the beginning of his career when the Justice League formed if Pre-Flashpoint Superman was the real one all along and the one with a history in this world.

They'll have to retcon all of N52 Superman early adventures.