ITT: Say anything bad about Calvin and Hobbes

ITT: Say anything bad about Calvin and Hobbes

You can't

It ended :(

This.

I would've loved at least one animated special. Something with that early 90s charm that would've been faithful to the art style and probably had Waterson as a head writer and consultant.

Thomas Hobbes was a shitty philosopher.

I've got a nagging worry that Calvin grew up to be a serial killer or something.

Bringing in Calvin's Dad's brother while keeping the rule that they never refer to the parents by name was a really bad idea.

Yeps.

What's Watterson up to nowadays?

This to be quite honest with you senpai (family)

Watterson refused to ever let that happen. Said it would ruin the charm if his characters had voices. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist

water color is forever ruined to me. calvin and hobbes strips are all i see now.

Waterson hasn't fucking done anything since.

Like, I get he went through hell with the syndicate and all that shit, but the dude's an icon and we've not gotten a damn thing since. not a book of paintings, not a different comic(I totally get ended C&H, it was the right decision, but that didn't mean he needed to quit entirely), and only a handful of interviews. He could do a webcomic now and totally eschew any form of merch or revenue and have complete control but he won't even do that.

GIVE ME SOMETHING, YOU BASTARD

OP here, I just had to put my foot in my mouth, didn't I?

I love Calvin and Hobbes, it's one of my all-time favorites, and in response to , I do like the Uncle Max strips a lot, even if Watterson later regretted introducing the character in the first place (it's true!).

I started this thread as a little experiment, to see if people would complain about something as well-received as Calvin and Hobbes, and you know what? I wasn't disappointed, even if there were less complaints about it than, say, Dumbing of Age.

I understand that some people are mad because the strip ended, but I think Watterson was within his rights to do so. And say what you will about Uncle Max, I liked the strips with him, so there!

It is unfunny as hell and relies on DA FEEEELZ and nostalgia tripping for replacing actual jokes.

It still ended on a high note, before every going to shit, and it was ended when the creator wanted to. He was never forced to do more than he wanted.

Should all good comics/shows be so lucky.

painting landscapes and such

Those aliens who showed up for a while towards the end of the strip were pretty lame and felt like Watterson starting to run out for ideas, but I guess that just means it was smart of him to stop the strip when he did.

He's occasionally drawn some things since then.

>He could do a webcomic now and totally eschew any form of merch or revenue and have complete control but he won't even do that.

I'm pretty sure that Watterson doesn't think very highly of the internet in general.

it never had a movie
just kidding

It got kinda preachy at times. A good example is with all the environmental stuff. Like, that's not a punchline, that's just trying to make readers feel bad for not recycling.

That being said, still the best syndicated strip of the last 40 years.

>pink nose and ears

tumblr

>of the last 40 years

What about before then?

>tfw Watterson dies they're gonna be all over this property

Naw. His views may be archaic but they were nonetheless important. It helped shift the concept of sovereignty from being less about who had some nebulous right to rule to whose rule was most practical. This was especially important as he was writing during the Civil War.

being a hermit

he used to secretly autograph the insides of his collectin books at book stores. then the EBay crowd caught on and started stalking him. So they could flip the books. the autographing was meant to be a nice little surprise for his fans. so watterson quit doing that.

Pogo, early Peanuts.

...Nostalgia?

user, you... DO know that Calvin and Hobbes is an OLD comic, right? It's not something set in the past to seem quaint, that's just the actual time period it was written in.

Assuming his family (who I presume gain control of the rights after his parting) don't mess anything up, C&H don't enter public domain for 75 years after his death.

Wasn't this strip made in the 80s? I don't even think the internet existed to the public at this time

Early 90s actually, but the message is clear, Watterson isn't fond of this kind of tech.

85 - 95