I just watched this and I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit...

I just watched this and I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my sofa for all 30 episodes it was so painful.

>Ayy le quirky FBI agent lmao
If you liked it you're in the wrong place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kjeCNnbVYAQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I haven't finished S2 yet but I figured out midway through S1 that it was supposed to be satire.
I'm really amazed I've never managed to spoil who the killer is before watching.
From what I read over the years I was not expecting what the show is though. I expected a serious thriller / noir

It's not satire though

It's a serious thriller / noir filmed in the manner of a soap opera...right? That's how I always thought of it.

It's not a satire. Also it is filled with extremely disturbing, perverse sequences. The whole thing is about rape, murder, and domestic abuse.

>oh no, something is getting popular!
>BETTER COMPARE IT TO REDDIT

Hey OP, just to let you know, Twin Peaks aired in 1990.

What's you're point.

Reddit and internet memes didn't exist yet. In fact, the internet wasn't widespread accessible for the public yet. So the way you're looking at it now doesn't apply.

what about THAT CHERRY PIE LAUGHING MY FUCKING ASS OFF EVERY TIME AYY

do normies who watch this show actually get invested in the characters/story in a non-superficial sense? like do they get emotional during the Donna and James scenes or when Laura's mom cries and sad music plays?

I mean I enjoy seeing Cooper, Andy, Lucy, Leland, etc but the dialogue and acting is so fucking bad I can't watch it and really get "invested" the way I would in something more toned down, like Mad Men for example.

I watch it the same way I do Mulholland Drive or other Lynch films basically, I just go along for the surreal ride and occasionally laugh at the melodrama. Like I don't think there's a single scene in Twin Peaks with Bobby or James or Donna or whatever that really gets me "emotional".

I don't know about getting invested emotionally, but I do get invested in the mystery/the surreal aspects a lot. I think the show does that very well.

>like do they get emotional during the Donna and James scenes or when Laura's mom cries and sad music plays?
I sure fucking hope not, it should be obvious to anyone, even people who aren't Lynch fans that that shit is supposed to be funny most of the time.

Not to say there was nothing serious in the tv series.

well yeah I agree but that should be obvious

I just can't imagine anyone watching this show and really feeling emotionally connected to any of the characters, aside from thinking they're funny or quirky or "have weird hair" or something

You know, I read a bit of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it was insufferable

But it got me wondering, is Reddit just the internet version of that book?

It has the same kind of humor, yes.

Do you not get sentimental over Laura's death at least? The murder, and the struggle with Bob are the only serious things in Twin Peaks.

Also, I kind of felt for Shelly and Nadine at one point.

youtu.be/kjeCNnbVYAQ

are you saying this wasn't an emotional moment?

FWWM is better than the original series

FWWM > Season 3 > Season 1 > Season 2

Although, 2 of the 3 best episodes of the TV show are in Season 2.

I'd say as a whole the show works because moments like these are mixed with moments of weird melodrama. I find in a lot of the 'tragic' scenes I have a detached sympathy for the characters. They are too ridiculous to really connect with but it's the fact that they are so ridiculous that makes them sad. It's like watching a chicken with it's head cut-off. Then you suddenly have a moment where things click and the characters CAN properly enact their feelings and that distant sympathy can actually become real and feels kind of off putting.
It's just that reoccurring Lynch thing of creating a false sense of security and letting you know it's false. it's easy to feel safe around a bunch of goofy caricatures but at any moment shit can get real. The horror is used in the same way. It succeeds because, in way, it mirrors how we live our lives: we clam up and create a safe, boring world filled with the tired tropes where all the threats can be reduced to jokes. But we know that at any moment shit can get real and that this world we've made for ourselves is floating on lots of fucked-up weirdness we probably couldn't handle.
Sometimes that weirdness is drug rings and serial killers sometimes it's finding out your dad really does love you and that life can turn out all right. Ether way it's the deep end.

predates 95 percent of the internet - must be reddit

The lynch directed episodes are pure art

kek, this actually was a pretty emotional moment

If you can't handle watching a few emotional scenes because you are gay, consider suicide

>and I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

If you actually do something like this irl then you, paradoxically, are the meme.

Reddit is really killing it for you guys to always be thinking about them in every step of your daily lives, I will give that to them.

Shitpost with better grammar you mongoloid

How would you know something is reddit, OP, unless you spend an unhealthy amount of time on reddit?

BOOM*drops mic*

Checkmate, OP. You're move.

>>just watched this and I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

How do you pretend to appreciate anything acting like that, user?

Brainlet

Exactly. And the only solution to the reddit question on this board the final solution.

Watched it with the wifey this weekend and she wept during the pilot. Sorry you're dead inside, jaded, cynical, bathed in irony, and a spiritless product of your time.

You cannot relate because irony has helped destroy our culture.

>>>Ayy le quirky FBI agent lmao
He's just a cheerful guy. What the fuck is wrong with that?

Every single FBI agent depicted on television needs to be the same bland, serious, no personality character.

Hey OP, you shouldn't bottle up your reddit rage. It's not healthy. You should be a man and confront them. Think about it, right now there are redditors taking a nice relaxing shit, just like you do. They can't get away with this anymore. Breathing the same air as you? Seriously, you need to stop them from doing this. They are literally ruining your life.

dude its supposedly to be reddit thats the joke lmao
dude lynch is ironically bad lmao

>being a literal mentally ill millennial

Enjoy your shitty life.

Or just not cry about Reddit every time you don't like something lmao

>I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath
You sound like you have some severe mental problems

I was born in 91 and watched Twin Peaks by friend's advice for the first time 5 years ago, before I stepped a foot on plebbit. Am I allowed to enjoy it, OP?

>satire

What the fuck is it satirizing?

I think the soapy elements/acting are more about putting you in a certain acceptable mood and atmosphere, which is more easily subverted when tackling subjects such as the root of evil. It's contrast.

But I don't agree about satire.