God fucking damn did they nail that soundtrack
youtu.be/J0RKpmjjpLQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE
youtu.be/kc5MYjUE8zg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

OH THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING

The movie was great and did it's job as an adaptation of the original, a more faithful adaptation could be done through a miniseries but that would require writers and producers that aren't complete retards.

Synder's style was also great for the visuals, especially the dream sequences.

I'M YOUR BOOGIEMAN

It was way overdone.

>The movie was great and did it's job as an adaptation of the original

The visual elements were nice, but the movie ending missed the point of the original story. The original story was more ambiguous and ominous and they cut out the final conversation between Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan.

I did like the Philip Glass score during Dr. Manhattan's origin scenes.

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE

>heavy-handed insertion of period appropriate songs
>ever

Funny, I just watched the movie again last night.

It's what got me into Philip Glass.

On reflection that is the greatest merit of the movie.

It should not have been a movie at all.

>missed the point of the original story
stopped reading there

The soundtrack is shit. A story as important to the super hero genre as Watchmen deserves better. Generic "era appropriate" rock doesn't cut it. And the original film score was bland and boring.

He's right though.

This, i cringed so fucking hard when it blared Hendrix's version of 'all along the watchtower' as they flew to Antarctica.

youtu.be/kc5MYjUE8zg

Don't lie, Sup Forums. How hype were you when this shit right here dropped?

>mfw muse

I'm a fan of 60's folk music so this whole movie was pretty nice

'no'

The smashing pumpkins trailer was better

The opening montage and the Manhattan origin sequence were 10/10, the rest was meh.

In particular I thought they completely botched Ozymandias.

What is the "point" of the book?

Y'know what the weird thing is? Dylan's actually would've worked with the scene imo.

Ozymandius was supposed to be the ultimate realization of the Renaissance man. So they cast some lanky manlet that couldn't even get buff enough to outsize the Comedian, like he was supposed to in the comics. Facial it was the right choice, but for a film that had everyone else almost perfectly cast it's a real shame that they botched one of the most important characters.

The major theme is life goes on. Nothing ever ends, things that were set in stone eventually crumble. If you look at the cell where Ozymandias celebrates the plan being effective his arms represents a clock. All he did was set the cock back five minutes. Everything is back to the 1950's, doomsday has only been averted for a few more years. And more importantly with the person Ozy has set his entire life around that peace will be nothing once he dies is unable to oversee his empire.

I thought he was way too obviously the bad guy too. I was pretty young when I first read Watchmen but I recall it took me a while to figure what the hell was actually going on and that element of mystery was really compelling to me. But it was totally absent from the movie because Ozy is basically introduced as a villain and is never likeable at any point.

Nope.

The major theme is that if Superheroes existed in the real world that they would have real world flaws.

You have no problem with the film version because you see it as a straight up superhero story rather than a logical deconstruction of the genre that the comic version was.

>When Sup Forums talks about music
Stop!

In the last conversation between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan tells him "nothing ever ends." All that Ozymandias's plans have done is to delays the inevitable for a few more years. All of the people who died because of Ozymandias have died for nothing. If you go back to the character in the Black Freighter comic from the original story, his story parallels Ozymandias's story.

The movie went for a more positive, upbeat ending instead.

I think both of those things are true and not in opposition to each other. It's a complex story that works on many levels

It's a WIP, but here's my trial Cinegrid for Watchmen.
The Journal shot is there because of narrative signifigance, not aesthetic reasons.

None of those really blow my mind though. Not to mention that shooting things in such a grandiose fashion kinda defeats the down to earth, grimy tone the book established.

Is this a joke? The soundtrack was one of the worst things the movie had going for it. Snyder has the restraint and subtlety of a brick so of course he had to overdo it.

>Bob Dylan covered by My Chemical Romance
goddamn I cringe evrytim

Would have been better as a 12 episode tv series, i think.

>hating on Yung Morrison

That is only one of many themes. Watchmen reads like an actual story, there are many topics all woven into the story and all of them are equally valid.

I was talking about Ozy's plot, which is the main driving factor of the story, He kills million to delay the inevitable, I feel this is the main theme as it ties into nearly every other character's story as well.

The sum of all the problems that the super hero's are dealing with boils down to them fighting something that inevitable, Rorsarch fights crime that only gets worse, Silk Specter fights the ideal of being a super hero despite being the child of two supers, Nite Owl fights to stay in retirement even though it's inevitable he'll return to work, Jon fights to remain a human though it's inevitable he will abandon them. Everyone has a fight set in stone, and through the story that crumbles and they're forced to face reality.

He's not okay

>subtleties in a comic book movie about comic books

the way they made Nite Owl's suit proves to me that it is possible to make a good Moon Knight suit.

>If you look at the cell where Ozymandias celebrates the plan being effective his arms represents a clock
Damn, and here I thought I picked up on most of the clock imagery in the book.

Eh I don't think the movie deserves the shit it gets. The extended cut it quite good but I didn't mind the theatrical version.

>I'm a retard so everything has to be loud and flashy lmao HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIIIIIIIEND

Snyder's audience, everyone..

>that "35 minutes ago" reveal
>Nite Owl goes into a hysterical shitfit saying "GENOCIDE IS WRONG!!1" just to spoon feed that point to Snyder's dipshit audience

Just curious, what does the extended cut include? I've read the book and seen the theatrical cut.

the only good thing about that part was finally seeing dan react to rorschach's death and prove that he actually gave a shit about him as a friend.

if his reaction hadn't been so hysterical and was written instead to be more reminiscent of rorschach's reaction to the blair roche incident (read: disturbingly calm), there would be no further issue.

Wasn't the point of Dan not giving a shit to show how pathetic he was?

But the line from the song is in the fucking book you goddamn filthy casuals.

Its the quote at the end of the chapter.

You know, I'd make the pithy comment about Sup Forums not reading comics, but its fucking Watchmen. Literally one of the most famous in the medium.

Come the fuck on.

Yes, it is a bit over the top in the actual film, but none of you cunts even mentioned why it might be there

It's Dylan's in the book though, not Hendrix'. And like you said, it's applied with the subtlety of a sledgehammer in the film.

The quote is attributed to Dylan because he's the one who wrote it, not Hendrix.

And Dylan plays it in Hendrix's style when he does it live now anyway because he thinks its superior.

>It's Dylan's in the book though, not Hendrix
They use numerous softer songs like Sound of Silence so your complaint has no basis.

Well Dylan is a cunt. His original version is the best.

Yes and no, I guess. The book is left ambiguous as to whether or not he finds out about Rorschach at all, but he was portrayed as pathetic and washed up.

What does the Sound of Silence have to do with All Along the Watchtower?

You're going on and on about muh subtety and implying that Dylans version isn't 'badass' enough for Snyder, when they use multiple soft ballads in the film.

That's not what I'm implying at all. I'm just saying that it's unsubtle as fuck (and it would have been so if they used Dylan's version) . Hell, so is The Sound of Silence.
What works in a comic doesn't necessarily work in film.

>Nite Owl goes into a hysterical shitfit saying "GENOCIDE IS WRONG!!1" just to spoon feed that point to Snyder's dipshit audience
The point of that was to show he was so horrified by Rorschach's death that he 180'd his position.