It is a well-known fact that the difference in the IQ of blacks between other races...

It is a well-known fact that the difference in the IQ of blacks between other races, especially whites and East-Asians is wide. However, it is also well-known that blacks make up a large portion of jazz musicians. Jazz is considered to require considerable technical ability and skills in mathematics. So, are the most intelligent black people flocking to jazz, or is jazz not as intellectually-demanding as people claim it to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GBoRFdM7V9w
youtube.com/watch?v=O-hdiaB6Duk
youtube.com/watch?v=ECIb3gzgQ8c
youtube.com/watch?v=OrZhdzGaPxo
youtube.com/watch?v=rVqAdIMQZlk
youtube.com/watch?v=yRpKKBmeqV4
youtube.com/watch?v=OU50yFaWnXw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are outliers in every race. But you absolutely do not need any mathematical skills to play jazz, you just need to know your scales and modes, and be able to improvise with them.

>Jazz is considered to require considerable technical ability and skills in mathematics
>skills in mathematics
>Jazz

all you need to remember is patterns, listen to any jazz and they play much of the same runs and "licks" repeatedly with variation on how long notes are held for. Plus if someone hits a wrong note they pretend they were going for it all along to create tension

ITT : people who are above jazz music

Negroes are very good at keeping a beat and coming up with jingles. This is most likely why they tend to spontaneously dance.

>skills in mathematics
whut?? they're literally just playing what they feel...

Musical intelligence is distinct from other forms. Plenty of other musics from the world, both folk and classical, is metrically more sophisticated than average European influenced music.

Jazz is to music as women's studies is to college majors.

Jazz is a synthesis between European and African music. Charlie Parker used to woodshed over Wagner recordings.

No, that's House music

/thread

This thread is a perfect example of how the stupid can look at information complicated beyond their understanding and perceive only noise.

Then they race race race to the Internet with their shit opinions. Bake for a few years and voila!

>Sup Forums

>1/3 of the thread
>no replies to anyone
>Sup Forums IS RETARDED HAHAHAHA

There's nothing worth responding to.

"Gotta know your scale and modes"

"Gotta play licks"

"You just play what you feel"

None of that is particularly useful or informative.

>None of that is particularly useful or informative.

Compared to your useful and informative posts?

jazz is not mathematical

all the jazz theory you see that would imply that was created by white people. black people created jazz music very spontaneously

they have a higher percentage of naturally gifted musicians

It's funny when Sup Forums tries to act like they know about something. Jazz, along with Western Art music is some of the most complex music out there. It takes some people YEARS of practice to lean how to solo over certain changes properly.

Oh well I guess you're a stupid memeing faggot have a nice life

Thanks burger.

Bach was extremely arithmetical, as was Art Tatum. Talented people will always amaze, no matter what race they are or what style of music they play. I would guess that the prevalence of blacks in jazz music is more of a cultural phenomenon as opposed to having anything to do with intelligence.

Why do black people and white people dominate modern music? Why don't other races contribute? Do juden and asians have no musical talent?

jazz music isnt complex. that's its whole appeal...

its mostly all about beautiful extended chords with very slow and simple saxophone leads light bass and at most a high hat or light snare

not that complexity or simplicity has any effect on wether a song is good or not

Thanks for 5SOS, I thought your country was a musical toilet from top to bottom but they proved me wrong.

heaps of jewish musicans

is Jazz the most popular musical genre with blacks, OP?

or is the most popular genre with blacks a beat that goes "BOOM, BOOM, BAP" and a guy talking about selling crack and fucking strippers with big asses?

What in the living fuck are you talking about?

You sound like you've only heard "kind of blue"

There's a lot more jazz music than that

you're completely retarded you're one of those weirdos who talk up every aspect of jazz music but no absolutely nothing about music. i bet you're one of those people who think jazz invented new chords lmao

yeah dude we get it jazz is trendy at the moment you arent special because you've listened to 3 jazz records you found on an anime forum

>rock n roll
black
>metal
white
>techno
white
>house
black
>reggae/dub
black
>dubstep
white
>hip hop
black
>punk
white

Black people and white people do all the innovating and dominate contemporary music. Jews don't do anything except maybe copy whatever trends are popular

haha, it's a lot more than patterns. jazz can be extremely complex in terms of harmony and time signature, and it takes an extremely intelligent person to be able to pick up on changes on the fly.

You legitimately know nothing about music

You obviously do not play jazz, my friend.

lol...

shit even if you've only listened to kind of blue, it's obvious that jazz is complicated music. green dolphin street still blows my mind

okay, since you know so fucking much about jazz music tell me about the key modulation in Autumn Leaves

Jazz isn't trendy
Jazz did invent new chords, duke Ellington is worth digging through breh

I probably have heard a couple hundred Jazz records. I've played in several ensembles and combos and generally know a fuckload about music

lmao i hate this nu jazz trend

thank tyler the creator and mac demarco for the cringy posts in this thread

>Jazz did invent new chords

lmao im done

There is literally no such thing as nu-jazz, jazz has been the same format since its inception. Maybe you're thinking of fusion or jazztronica?

>best jazz drummer is white
>best jazz guitarist is white

i'll give the darkies the sax,bass and piano however.

Any advice for a guitarist who might join his first jazz ensemble at a community college?

GUESS THE MUSICIANS

Drummer: Buddy Rich
Guitarist: Joe Pass
Sax: Coltrane (I prefer Getz myself)
Bass: Mingus
Piano: Monk

Jazz musician here

One, the role of blacks in the formation and development of jazz is massively exaggerated

Two, mathematics aint got shit to do with it, even the most complicated things coltrane did like 6 steps out and shit could be done by a fifth grader

Pretty much everything is based on patterns and feel

That's not really true, Parker and Coltrane both contributed a lot to music theory. They absolutely understood what they were doing.

>There is literally no such thing as nu-jazz

Isn't that what BBNG is

Holy shit you have never listened to any jazz have you. It's funny, the stereotype I hear the most is that jazz is "a lot of wrong notes", how you managed to come to the exact opposite conclusion is beyond me.

Listen to linc chamberland

Parker contributed nothing new to music theory.

Most everything he learned about music theory was taught to him by dizzy gillespie and if you study the omnibook its about 20 patterns repeated in every song and solo which were used by other artists for years before him

Parker was just a really good player, maybe a trendsetter as far as feel is concerned but definitely not with theory

>ITT: idiot who pretend to know anything about music theory or jazz

Here, I will help you faggots out...

Yes jazz is complex and challenging, no it is not a bunch of random note, and yes magical negros actually created something impressive.

As far as intelligence and music, there a multiple ways to look at it. One, you can be intelligent person, study theory, and work hard to create something unique. Two, some people have a natural talent for music...they develop relative pitch at young age, or even perfect pitch. Music comes to them with ease...like language does a child. Almost autist-tier. You don't necessarily have to be "intelligent" in the conventional sense.

>tl;dr
This is probably what happened to a lot of the Jazz negros...some were outliers (intelligent), some were lucky (gifted ears).

Lol

louis armstrong
Duke Ellington
Charlie parker
John Coltrane
Miles Davis

move away from bar chords as fast as you can and start doing 4 note movable chords and learn all the extensions
>learn it for 5th and 6th string root positions

also, the real book- buy it and hit that shit hard

You described a lot of smooth and fusion jazz, which are the two most derivatives subgenres in jazz (although fusion does have its moments when composed and played correctly)
Try to read up on Braxton's take on composition and improvisation, it has a lot to do with reaching beyond just patching small structures and techniques together. And it's overall interestign when it comes to composing music just in how different it is from more traditional views on the topic.

You can make a case that Bach was mathematical, though I suspect it's a different sort of intelligence. The polyphony and counterpoint, particularly in the fugal stuff is amazing.
I think tatum is amazing in a different way. He harmonically advanced and a very subtle ear, but what really amazes is his touch and dexterity. I think its one or two orders of complexity down from Bach.
That's not being snobby; I'd probably sooner listen to Liszt or Fats Waller than Bach or Tatum.

Get a book called "fretboard logic"

Learn from recordings, by ear

Play with others a lot

Be ambitious

Bix Beiderbeck
Vince Gharaldi/Bill Evans
Stan Getz/Louis Prima/Frankie Trumbauer
Brecker Brothers
Doc Sevrenson/Chet Backer/Al Hirt

Lol

Get your amateur hour shit outta here

Actually half of what you think is white belongs to Jews.

Bix is my nigga, died way too early

Infected Mushroom is not techno. It is shitty derivative EDM. Like I said, it's just copying a trend that was already popular.

Art Barkley
Wes Montgomery
Ornette Coleman
Don Cherry
Roland Kirk
Thelonious Monk
Milt Jackson
etc

This is pointless, anyone coul go back and forth like this forever, especially after someone starts to mention Poland, Ethiopia, Scandinavia or Japan.

Have you heard tatum's recordings that were done in private? There's nothing like it.

I suspect Bach could have ripped some shit beyond just the paper records of his craft- there's that whole anecdote about him improvising a fugue for the king... Probably sounded something like baroque Jazz

>brecker brothers

Looooool

>I would guess that the prevalence of blacks in jazz music is more of a cultural phenomenon as opposed to having anything to do with intelligence.
This is correct

Jazz became considered "black music" because it took over the red light district in new orleans at when it was still a shit hole and got associated with all the negatives there

There were still whites, creoles, and all races playing it all over but thats the part of history they focus on

Louis Armstrong broke that image with the "cleaner" hot five and hot seven recording sessions (and following interracial tours), and then Benny Goodman, Louis Prima+Sam Buetera, and then eventually the faggot Glenn Miller pulled it back into "white" culture

Jazz too
Alot of early jazz was written by jews, especially in the tin pan alley era

jazz is pure shit not to mention degenerate

only literal cucks like jazz

Bix/Bill Evans get a pass
Stan Getz is marginal as fuck

You want to compare Stan Getz vs. Trane, Bird, Sonny, Dolphy? No chance bud

free jazz is shit, fuck late coltrane

I agree with you more than I disagree. I would probably prefer Liszt as well, can't get enough of the Transcendental Etudes, although I would probably choose Ravel over Liszt just for his ability to translate water into sound. Something about Tatum really does it for me, though.

whatever i only listen to anime music like every other non self hating guy here

>one of the best early clarinetists was a communist jew
b-but he was such a good live performer and his compositions are so catchy

>Infected Mushroom is the best they can do

The Juden can't into electronic music

Bullshit. I'd like to see one of these niggers play Liszt or Chopin. They would never make it. Jazz really is a low IQ genre.

Jazz is terrible. I think whites are responsible for the worst form of jazz(modern) but I don't care. It's all crap.

I suppose it depends what you mean by formation and development. I'd don't think you can deny that its early development was almost entirely down to blacks. Who were the early white jazz musicians? Charles Lamb's rags, Bix Beiderbeck, and perhaps the Original New Orleans Jass Band; I'm struggling to think of more off the top of my head.
What is overstated is how original early jazz was, the backbone of ragtime and early New Orleans jazz was clearly European marches and dances, and the blacks used some European influence at every stage after that, when all anyone can talk about is slaves and plantations and hollers, which might be true of blues or barrelhouse.

The only difficult thing about playing sax is using your fucking tounge, pressing buttons is ez pz

Stan Getz arguably had a more diverse sound than a number of those people

Parker was one of the most one trick (literally) players in history.
And Sonny is blown out of the water in what he does by Sam Butera by a mile

You should have gone with Wayne Shorter, Stanley Turrentine, and Johnny Hodges if you really wanted to make a point

early Shrooms is neat though brer.
They just hopped in the wobble bass and drop bandwagon instead of staying constant int their style like Shpongle or evolve like The Orb.
Too bad said bandwagon was quickly seen as the shitty production gimmick it actually was.

The fact tht you use the term "classical" tells quite a lot about you user.

Yo, jazz enthusiasts, I got a question

You know that type of, Cowboy Bebop soundtrack jazz that is all bassline running low and constant, a couple hi-hats and sporadic breaks, and some solo instrument or deep voiced nigga doing a spoken word

Is there a specific subgenre of jazz like that where it's all lowkey instead of loud and party-type and shit?

Please excuse all the Mathematical intellectuals as they play jazz

You think Tyrone is up there doing long division as he plays his trumpet?

No it doesn't you moron. Jazz isn't complicated. It's low IQ crap only morons listen to.

>The Bell CURVE

Some blacks are smart, and thank kek for Jazz.

switch pass with metheny.

Fun fact most people don't know, Benny Goodman actually didn't write Sing, sing, sing

typical thieving kike

>I suppose it depends what you mean by formation and development. I'd don't think you can deny that its early development was almost entirely down to blacks. Who were the early white jazz musicians?

In the same exact clubs with the black and creole musicians. You need to remember that the recording industry was essentially non-existent when jazz started, only the very best of the best were remembered from that 1890-1918 era, even though they had all developed their chops and evolved the music in a very diverse crowd

Their are some really interesting books on the subject i was forced to read compiling different reviews and write ups on the after hours jams in that time

Its kind of like ragtime, there were hundreds of white ragtime players but the only ones who are remembered at all today are Jelly Roll Morton and Scott Joplin

Max Morath (despite having a near equal contribution) is completely forgotten because tiger rag is catchy af

Sup Forums is literally more talented at music than Sup Forums. how can they even compete?

t. someone who has never listened to jazz before

This is obviously about tastes, but Jazz isn't for me. It's shit. There's about a dozen, maybe two dozen pieces that are good, but fucking thousands that are shit. Low effort, just stringing some sounds together. So, no, I don't see any high IQ requirement here.

I think you and I have different tastes, friendo. But respect for your willingness to dive into this cesspool with something to say.

As far as Sam Butera, his tone is amazing, but all I can find is pretty poppy, did he try to do snooty bop music ever?

JUazz isn't hard. Almost every kind of classical, and even some forms of metal are harder.

t. someone who can play some jazz, classical, and metal

I also don't need any mathematical knowledge to write a piece.

They haven't demonstrated musical intelligence. Don't get me wrong, I love jazz. But I also love fast food, shonen anime, and the films of wes anderson.

>blacks make up a large portion of jazz musicians
citation needed
>Jazz is considered to require considerable technical ability
yes
>and skills in mathematics
no

t. musician

if it's taking you years to learn to solo over a certain change, then you're a fucking moron and not practicing correctly

I've heard some stuff that was done at a party of some Hollywood type without Tatum knowing, and also a few random recordings that sound private (including a very _interesting_ take on a Chopin waltz). I seem to remember it was pretty richly textured stuff, I'll have to give it another listen. Where he recorded the same song different times, I usually prefer the earlier, more stridey version.

Thats a subject of great debate

theres no official name for it, although my mentor used to refer to it as "action jazz", like the shit on the old hannah barbara soundtracks

Its a combination of bebop and bigband (moreso bigband and swing in earlier uses) so its a little hard to pin it down when searching.
It also typically varies from standard jazz forms, is usually more heavily orchestrated and varied
>most likely patially due to its use in shows and shit
youtube.com/watch?v=GBoRFdM7V9w

Dig into instrumental hip hop, especially from the west coast, trip hop and even turntablism if you want the catchy and more rythmic side of it (although Nujabes, who made the soundtrack, did have his distinctive style so you won't really find anything completely similar. His other material is worth checking though)
youtube.com/watch?v=O-hdiaB6Duk
youtube.com/watch?v=ECIb3gzgQ8c
youtube.com/watch?v=OrZhdzGaPxo
youtube.com/watch?v=rVqAdIMQZlk
If you really want something more jazz inspired that doesn't focus on the hip hop typed rythmics, there is always "nu-jazz", basically traditionnal jazz composition played with samples. Interesting in idea but very one-dimensionnal in execution, sadly.
youtube.com/watch?v=yRpKKBmeqV4

Jazz threads on Sup Forums can be pretty good but they are drowned in a sea of spamming, sadly. The board has some good spots but too much shitposting and popspam

Try Bebop :^)

And yes, I bet Bach's improv chops were off the charts. Classical music seemed a lot more jazz-like, it's funny how it kind of atrophied quite recently into a reverence for the score and not changing a single note.

He and Louis Prima wrote sing, sing, sing actually

He never hooked up with the bebop scene, they went in the jive direction after swing/bigband started to die and were eventually banned to the hellhole that is vegas

The Louis Prima new orleans gang stuff is probably more to your taste, also the Sam Buetera and the witnesses album is more of a Stanely Turrentine vibe and definitely worth a listen

youtube.com/watch?v=OU50yFaWnXw
although youtube did that shit where the slowed it down to get around copyright

this

Only "math" you need to know in jazz is how to play a chord with 4 notes instead of 3

Sup Forums a shit

all they do is jerk off about Kayne and Animal Collective