I'm late, but can we talk about how GOAT this was?

I'm late, but can we talk about how GOAT this was?

I love that it destroys Morrison haters who think he can't tell a straightforward story and needs meta stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-wave_of_feminism
view-comic.com/wonder-woman-earth-one-v01-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was far from his best work I'd say.

It was a good, but I think Morrison inadvertently highlighted why WW isn't as popular as Batman and Superman.

I think one of my biggest problems was that nothing HAPPENS in this book. By which I don't means action and fighting and splosions, I know Morrison deliberately avoided making it that (And you can still see where the fights were supposed to go in the script), but simple story and character elements. It's a 130 something page story that, for a compressed writer like Morrison, feels like it could have been told in two issues, tops.

Hopefully he sequel will have more thing actually happening to justify its length.

I liked it but not really a fan of how they made efforts to draw from the earliest WW matieral, but then went and turned Steve into a black man.

The slavery thing was funny, at least.

It was shit. Next.

She looks like Sasha Grey. Of course it was fun to draw.

This

>inadvertently

kek

The funny thing is that he made tons of research on feminism and tried as hard as possible to make a story that didn't appeal to males. What you describe was completely intentional. And in spite of it I think it was quite good, better than what you would expect from a story crippled by its feminist ideology.

>but then went and turned Steve into a black man.
And then put it in chains, Morrison HATES the SJW and wanted to make sure they could not use this book to promote their shit. Morrison used the "black bull" man and showed that doesnt matter how masculine the guy he is still dominated by wondy. It works on several levels. Just like the fat chick.

Whatever his reason was, it doesn't really fit.

It's like how Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is faithful to the early Spider-Man comics, but the Green Goblin looks like a power ranger.

No. Like I said, I get that part and I don't have an issue with it. The issue isn't that it doesn't male appealing stuff happening, it's that it doesn't have stuff happening, period.

i liked it, what was the reason you bring up?

I thought it was pretty good, really liked the art. It's down sides, are basically what to me are most "origin story" downsides in that the main point is to establish the character and environment that character lives in, so any kind of interesting conflict takes a back seat in some cases.

I think people saying nothing happened are forgetting the mother-daughter conflict throughout. That was the story.

However I think it was too easily pushed aside in the last few pages. The resolution didn't do much for me at least.

>I think people saying nothing happened are forgetting the mother-daughter conflict throughout. That was the story.
Since I'm the only one in the thread saying that I'm guessing you mean me.

Again, I get that there is a story in there. I'm just saying what story there is could have been told in like a third of its length. It's waaaay too decompressed.

Someone story time

I talked to Paquette at a con this weekend and he said the new one starts off with the Nazis attempting to invade Themysicra and being turned into "proper" submissive men. Also that Morrison told him they didn't piss off enough people with this one, so the next two volumes are going to be more controversial.

It's thematically drawing from the material, but that doesn't mean they can't change things up if it serves the story.
If you don't get how Steve being black is part of the narrative you're either an idiot or a Sup Forumsack. It wasn't just some arbitrary decision.

Well it's not just you. It's been a complaint every time we discuss the book.

Storytime

>Also that Morrison told him they didn't piss off enough people with this one, so the next two volumes are going to be more controversial

based

Steve was great. Making SJW and Sup Forums mad at the same time is a thing only morrison knows how to do well.

I hear you. I hope the next two volumes are a bit more...dense? Fulfilling? Something like that.

I know Morrison has said he's interested in exploring some trans issues in the next volume. I wonder which of Diana's trans villains he'll revive? She certainly had a few back in the Marston era.

How can the Nazis exist? The comic takes place in the now.

>implying an island of sci-fi lesbians don't have time travel

lmao

Might be a flashback

It was great

What is some good non-meta Morrison?

His Flash with Millar is pretty straightforward. And I don't think All-Star Superman is really that meta outside of Earth Q.

Wonder Woman: Earth One

I still can't believe the amount of shit this book gets for "nothing happening" when that was largely the entire point. It was a warm, vibrant book that was felt like the equivalent of a comforting/protective feminine embrace.

>outside of Earth Q
INside it, on the other hand...

?

I thought it was pretty mediocre. I'm getting kind of tired of Wonder Woman origin stories, and as different as this one was, it was still pretty by-the-books.

This. When you distill Batman and Superman to the core of their origin, you get themes of justice, vengance, and hope. When you distill Wonder Woman to her origin themes, you just get feminism and bondage. and it turns out that lesbian bdsm isn't quite as entertaining as you'd like it to be.

are you kidding? thats literally part of a metanarritive

>Just like the fat chick.
Don't you be talking shit about Etta Candy

>I know Morrison has said he's interested in exploring some trans issues in the next volume. I wonder which of Diana's trans villains he'll revive? She certainly had a few back in the Marston era.
Wait, for real?

Femininity isn't synonymous with tons of exposition without much of a character arc for anybody or a driving force behind the plot. The original Wonder Woman's feminist as hell, but it was still extremely exciting.

>like Morisson works
>know that he is trying to piss me off even if I liked the story

This is a strange feeling.

But it, itself, is not very meta. It was kind of like a break from the rest of the event.

It's more a matter of pissing off those people with false expectations, i think...?
I mean, the thought came to me like that but now that i'm thinking about i can't elaborate it. What would the false expecations that he wants to die out be, something about feminism being pure and clean? The island was full of assholes and arguably the armony just really meant "look the other way when people suffer"
Or the opposite, something about masculinity being ridiculed? Most comics readers are arguably male, did Morrison want to piss people off by ridiculing Trevor?
I dunno, i'm not familiar enough with either WW or Morrison's scottish ramblings i guess

>I'm late, but can we talk about how GOAT this was?
My nigga. Probably one of the best WW stories ever written and one of best that I've read.

This shit was great. I'd been wanting a WW story where she avoided physical conflict and tried to resolve things another way since forever now, being more of a female power fantasy than anything.

Idk, maybe I need to re-read it again but it seems like I didn't see the same criticisms that everyone else did.

I also LOVED how Morrison restored the crazier Paradise Island from the old Golden and Silver-Age comics. The one that wasn't entirely rooted down in myth and had lots of crazy comic book sci-fi shit, like the kangas and the Purple Ray. Probably the best depiction of Paradise Island/Themiscrya ever.

Also probably the best version of Wonder Woman ever.

And Yanick Paquette's art was fantastic as well. Loved that one meta moment towards the end.

i will def agree with that my dude, as a singular work it def isnt meta its only with the sum that the parts become more if you catch my drifto

I don't really think he's trying to piss anyone off. The book is sort of a third wave feminism's critique on second wave feminism. Men's world suck, but Women's world, devoid of any male influence and stuck in an unchanging paradise for millennia, kinda has its own bugs too. The only group exalted by the narrative are the regular, imperfect women who exist and thrive in the Men's world and without being held down by it, and whose philosophy is ultimately responsible for turning Diana into Wonder Woman that we all know.

It's a pretty sophisticated feminist message overall.

yea i really liked everything as well

I agree
But wait, i thought the 3rd wave was the crazy, "kill all men" one? But then again, i've seen past (and thus supposedly 2nd wave) feminist work getting into that territory already. These dang timelines are confusing, reboot when

>I also LOVED how Morrison restored the crazier Paradise Island from the old Golden and Silver-Age comics. The one that wasn't entirely rooted down in myth and had lots of crazy comic book sci-fi shit, like the kangas and the Purple Ray. Probably the best depiction of Paradise Island/Themiscrya ever.

I think this is my favorite part of it. Greek myth stuff is fine and necessary but it doesn't have to be literally only that.

>Clams everywhere.

Ok

Fine, I'll storytime.

You're all in for a ride

That's the thing. It's pro-feminist and pro-women in the end, but really, it never goes too far in that direction or in either direction really. It analyzes both sides of the conflict and makes both sides neither right or wrong. It's a far more mature way of looking at feminism than any other writer might undertake.

Consider the Amazons and Man's Worlds' women. They are physically perfect and beautiful, yet also haughty when they see the women of our world, physically older or more out of shape, suggesting that they've been corrupted by Man's society or something iirc (I plan on re-reading this very soon so don't get too upset if I don't remember all the details). Yet at the same time, the book has Etta Candy defend herself, her being overweight and fatter than the Amazons, thus promoting a healthy self-body image. Be comfortable with who you are, you know?

With Steve Trevor, I agree with It was used in an intelligent manner.

Ultimately, the book isn't trying to piss off both sides, but present two opposing sides of feminism (possibly more radical, 60's-70's style of feminism and modern third-wave feminism) and maybe taking the best arguments from both sides.

Frankly the book made me want to check out some feminist works, so it did that for me.

yonic as fuck

No, that's what he wanted. Don't fall for his bullying.

oh puh-lease!
I never read this! I was getting hyped already...

Someone who appreciates the beauty of vaginas and women.

And people ask why Morrison is the GOAT writer

Sigh, stop "fake story timing".

Lets do this.

Maybe I'm confusing it with a fourth wave's critique of the third wave then. It's all a feminist hypercrisis to me.

I never noticed Hippolyta facepalming in the background before

>and modern third-wave feminism
That should probably say, "fourth-wave feminism." My bad.

what are the different waves? this book really got me interested in them but google aint helpin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-wave_of_feminism

thx, if this thread is up tomorrow i will discuss my findings with the class

What you mean is actually "I love that it shows that Morrison after three decades of working in the industry FINALLY learned how to tell a straightforward story without relying on meta stuff".

Ok, let's do this

>the fat chick
You mean best girl?

thank you for being an actual decent human being
much appreciated user

It was tumblr tier garbage. Sup Forums only likes it because it's Morrison when in reality this is one of his worst.
>inb4 too deep 4 u
>inb4 Sup Forumstard

Fucking thank you.

No prob
But my browser is messing up and won't display all the scans

Nooo

3 Marstonfags samefagging

Sorry folks, I don't know what's going on.
The rest of the pages are appearing as these stop sign's

But here's a link to it

view-comic.com/wonder-woman-earth-one-v01-2016/

Dang. Well, thanks for trying.

style miles ahead of these 3 dickheads.
it would have been nicer to share the story, but thanks for link user

I will say I thought the book was great, and I am glad I picked it up. I would say it's a good read for any Wonder Woman fan.

As a Grant Morrison fan though, I would say this book is not his best work, but still pretty good. Clearly better than on his worst days, but not as good as him on god tier mode. I would still say buy it and have a good time, but don't expect Morrison on his best

*still

But it is associated with an appreciation of things like nurturing love and peace.

LET'S DO THIS!

Not bad. Not the best of Morrison's works. But not bad.

Honestly, kinda wanna see this Diana interacting with Superman and Batman.

How would that go?

>Honestly, kinda wanna see this Diana interacting with Superman and Batman.
This is what I want. I want this Diana to become the mainstream DCU WW.

She'd fulfill a different sort of niche than regular WW. The way I see it, she'd be all pacifistic and would always try to find other solutions to problems. She'd be attracted to both Batman and Superman but wouldn't pursue either, except for maybe Batman (although that's been my personal 'pseudo-headcanon for awhile since in a lot of various continuities, she's shown attraction to both before), though she wouldn't like Batman's methods, especially at first. She'd probably oppose them just as much, if not more so than Superman. And she'd have a problem with Superman at first either since he tends to smash things up a lot in super fights. Though the two would probably find each other reasonable and would probably respect each other more at first than Batman.

That batman has no right be be close Superman, the guy is useless

Agreed. If you look at it through the multiversity lens, you can apply some level of symbolism to it, but taken by itself, it's just a great Captain Marvel adventure.

The Earth 1 books aren't actually all set in the same world. It's the All Star line in a revamped way.

But I agree FUCK Earth 1 Batman.

Now having All Star Batman interacting with Earth 1 Wonder Woman.... That would be... interesting and I'd read the fuck out of it.

>The Earth 1 books aren't actually all set in the same world.
Yes they are

"... and nothing here is certain"

Which means that Earth 1 Batman best not be around for long.

I've fallen for the fake story time every single time. Good job Sup Forums