Has there ever been a shittier comics publisher than Tokyopop? Goddamn did they put out some terrible shit

Has there ever been a shittier comics publisher than Tokyopop? Goddamn did they put out some terrible shit.

They gave us...

Warcraft the manga

They gave us...

Mail Order Ninja

They gave us...

Sokora Refugees

Oops, forgot the pic.

They brought us the manga revolution.

The gave us "cine-manga"

Apparently they're shitty to creators too

Yeah I learned all that from hearing Brandon Graham talk about King City. Hearing how Eric Stephenson and Image really swooped in to save KC really helps you understand why Graham is such a champion of Image even though he's pretty public about not liking a bunch of the comics that come out of there.

I'd say antartic press and bluewater deserve that title as well

I've seen Alex di Campi go off about it too

Bluewater is shittier

Original Image

I could never truly hate them because the only thing they did for me was bring me Chibi Vampire, which I enjoyed.

>antartic press

Are you seriously implying Steam Wars isn't TOP TIER?

>yfw TokyoPop are back somehow

So what exactly is there to dislike about Image? My sole exposure to them is Spawn and a stack of non Cape issues I got for €5.
They just seem like an indie publisher, or whatever you call a company that takes indie talent and makes it not indie but not mainstream, Intermediary publisher?

>2008 or so
>Go to the bookstore
>There's a fucking group of people just sitting in the manga aisle and reading manga
>One is wearing cat ears and there are several of those messenger bags covered with anime pins and one is dressed as a gothic lolita
>I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say baka or some other Japanese word
>Go to the bookstore months later
>Same fucking thing

If you're going to read books in the bookstore at least sit in one of the chairs instead of in the aisle, geez. The public library even had manga you could check out and read at home.

No wonder Tokyopop went broke, nobody actually bought their stuff they just read it in the bookstore.

That doesn't explain why other manga publishers do just fine though. The main thing was TokyoPop had the gall to charge more per volume of stories that on average just weren't as good. They fucked up.

Didn't all the manga publishers take a big hit once the anime bubble burst?

This explains why all their stuff was sealed when i saw their books in my country

Kids of that age are a killer for businesses.
Same thing happened in the city I grew up in. The local book store stopped carrying manga because these little shits were there, damaging the books and eating food inside.

There was even a gaming focused internet cafe called "rayguns" these turds, just laid claim to it. Hung out there all day, taking up space and scaring away customers, not actually paying for anything. The business sunk within a year.

People wonder why comic book shops are hostile towards new customers, well this is why, their target demographic is primarily made up of loiterers, shoplifters and speds with no money.

They enabled the major book chains to return dead stock for shelfspace, undercutting other publishers and forcing them to take financial hits for the sake of visibility

What is the market for this faux manga style anyway? Many comic book fans (me included) think it looks like shit, and most weebs are just interested in the japan produced stuff and generally despise comic books, so who buys this? I guess parents or uncles who see their young relative is into anime and wanna give him or her something but they don't know what he or she likes

Most younger weebs don't know the difference, and western-made faux anime stuff tends to be a lot heavier on pandering to western audiences.

How do the economics of one of those terrible books work out anyways? I'd imagine the creators work for almost nothing, the cost to print is low, and you can probably make money without having to sell copies. Or they're losing money on most of the books in hopes that a few of them hit it big.

I don't work in publishing so I don't really know how this stuff works.

>Go to get the 7th Harry Potter book at midnight
>Whole bookstore is absolutely packed
>Think maybe the manga and comics aisles won't be so crowded
>People in the manga aisle aren't just sitting on the floor, some are sitting on the bookshelves too
>Manga and comics all over the gooddamn floor
>People are actually stepping on top of comics and manga as they walk
>Bookstore too busy trying to cleanup from all the coffee cups and other garbage around to put a stop to it

It was something else, I wish I'd taken pictures. I hope the next Harry Potter release is as much fun!

>Harry Potter fan judging people
You belong in that hell with those sacks of trash

Judging? It was easily the best midnight event I've ever been to.

I don't think that store had ever done a midnight release, and they had no idea how to handle a crowd of that size. They ran out of coffee and food, the store was dangerously crowded, they ran out of food, people just started bringing food in, and a toilet backed up and overflowed and a bathroom had to be closed. I didn't get out of there with my book until nearly 3:00 AM.

>Has there ever been a shittier comics publisher than Stu Levy?
fix'd

Jesus Christ steampunk can be so bad

How has no one mentioned Courtney Love's comic?

The girls who bought this are now the type of girls with angel wing tattoos and corsets who walk around saying "nyan"