There were people who asked "omg why isn't he black" when this came out

>There were people who asked "omg why isn't he black" when this came out

Other urls found in this thread:

diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=178540
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If the ring creates the suit shouldn't it be transparent plastic-looking green like everything else? Wouldn't it do a terrible job of concealing your junk?

The best part is DC fans forgetting about this movie and Superman Returns and then wondering why Batman was the only one to get a full trilogy

Will he ever bounce back or is doomed to the small screen?

And understandably so. Before the movie, the biggest connection to popular culture that the Green Lantern mythos had was with John Stewart in the extremely popular Justice League cartoons. Just because Geoff Johns and his HEAT friends care and knew who Hal was, didn't mean the majority of the rest of the world did.

He's better on tv.

I was one of them, OP. I regret none of it.

Nobody knew who the fuck Green Lantern was until the Justice League cartoon

So...yeah

And judging by he box office receipt, we were all right. No one gives a fuck about Hal

When the Justice League cartoon began I was wondering why he wasn't white.

Doesn't that stand to prove just how influential the JL cartoon was on modern times than anything?

No, it just proves that kids don't read comics anymore.

why wasn't he black tho?

You didn't need the gl movie to prove that

Because Geoff Johns has a chubby for the Silver Age. It's the same reason why Barry Allen is the Flash instead of Wally in the tv show.

>Before the movie, the biggest connection to popular culture that the Green Lantern mythos had was with John Stewart

Nah. Superfriends, especially Challenge of the Superfriends, has been working against DC for 30 years now. It had daily reruns on Cartoon Network up until the 2000s, and is still remembered to a lesser degree today.

JL reinvigorated him in the public's eye, but prior to that he was known as "That lame hero whose ring didn't work on the color yellow" just like how Superfriends made Aquaman "That lame fish guy"

>Hal Jordan
or
>Real nigga who fucks hot birds

No wonder there was disappointment

He probably means among kids to early 20 somethings, the target audience of the film

No young people watched Superfriends

The movie was coming out after all of the hype the DCAU created.

Who was the Green Lantern during that? John Stewart. Who had a great multi episode romance with Hawk-Girl and that other chick? John Stewart. Who was an all around badass for most of the JLU/JL episodes? John.

Choosing Hal for the movie was a mistake. Plenty more people would have gone if the protagonist was John.

In retrospect, I wish he'd been black.

Maybe they would've tried again with a good white actor instead of sending the franchise into oblivion.

Well the rest of the world can shut the fuck up and actually read some comics sometime.

Getting real sick of catering to casuals.

Yup. This is why I want to bring it back. But that's a subject for a different thread. I'm still watching the full series before I start talking about how to continue it.

Why not do a Green Lantern film with multiple characters? Make John a seasoned veteran, Hal is a newbie or something. Green Lantern seems like it'd actually make for a great ensemble piece.

Lets be fair though, John Stewart is based.

Yeah but it doesn't do justice to the original character or idea. John is John. John doesn't have the relationship with Sinestro, he doesn't have Hector Hammond, he didn't go crazy and bring Parallax into this whole crazy space opera.

Hal has more story. Jon's still standing on his shoulders. The best thing to happen to Jon was the JL show, really.

>And then it quickly changed to "omg why isn't he good?"

>It had daily reruns on Cartoon Network up until the 2000s,
"Up until the 2000s" was nearly twenty years ago.

Anyone younger than thirty wouldn't know or care about Superfriends when they grew up with JL.

>forgetting about superman returns

in my eyes, returns was a great movie. great when viewed as a sequel to donner's superman 2 since it was in no way intended to be a new iteration of the character

routh was a great superman, I'd even go as far as to say that he was the best version of superman so far

>John doesn't have the relationship with Sinestro, he doesn't have Hector Hammond, he didn't go crazy and bring Parallax into this whole crazy space opera.

Hector Hammond and Parallax dragged the movie down.

>routh was a great superman
He's a hell of a lot better than the one we have now but he's not as good as Christopher was. RIP.

>returns was a great movie. great when viewed as a sequel to donner's superman 2 since it was in no way intended to be a new iteration of the character

It took a huge dump on the original Donner's movies by turning Superman into a rapist and dead-beat father. Not to mention that the religious imagery were out of control.

As someone who grew up with the Superman/Batman Adventures cartoon which had the Kyle Green Lantern, seeing JLU use Stewart just to meet the diversity quota pissed me off and me hate token minorities in media ever since.

Challenge of the Super Friends only had 16 episodes. That's not enough for syndication, so you'd need to pretty much go out of your way to watch it.

That's why people remember Super Friends' lame Aquaman, but Hal Jordan was mostly unknown. He only became a permanent cast member in the last and least mainstream season.

I know people will bitch about me saying this but hell, why are people sucking reeves' dick so hard? he portrayed a nice version of supes but he definitely wasn't the best one

>dean cain is number 1
>routh is number 2
>reeves and cavill are number 3
>rest is literally meh-tier

I disagree, I think Returns was the worst. MoS and BvS may in fact be horrible, but they are at least their own movies. Returns is just a two hour Donner circle jerk. If I wanted to watch the old movies, I'd watch the old movies.

Routh is playing Reeves playing Superman. The whole father thing has weird rapey connotations to it. Lois has never been more of a cunt. Luthor's plan is ANOTHER goddamn real estate scheme and one that doesn't even make sense. It's pacing is slow and plodding. Having it be a sequel to Superman 1 ans 2 but not 3 and 4 is both arrogant and retarded considering how 2 ends and Returns begins. The jesus imagery that everyone hates from MoS gets it;s start in Returns. And that fucking climax with the island of Kryptonite is stupid that it kills any of the decent things like Jimmy Olsen and the plane scene.

Returns might just be, for me, the worst blockbuster movie I've ever paid to see.

>me hate token minorities
Thanks for the heads up, Adolf.

>rapist

explain

>dead-beat father

how the fuck was he a dead-beat father when he didn't even know that she had a child?

>It took a huge dump on the original Donner's movies

yeah, superman flying around the earth and turning time back was great. as was superman killing zod by letting him fall into that pit. donner's movies are comfy but campy and stupid as fuck

Yay! So now instead of complaining about race swapping, we are complaining hypothetical race swapping a couple dozen people on twitter wanted!

Let's all waste our lives like genius OP over here!

Lists are irrelevant as everyone will have a different numbering, but since you like Dean Cain so much, for $30 he'll come over to your house and pay Superman for you. He just needs a red towel to tie around his neck. BTW: They hired Routh BECAUSE he looked and acted like Reeves.

Absolutely none of that is of direct importance to doing a GL movie. You don;t need Parallax. You don't need the tragic and sad tale of Hector Hammond. As for Sinestro, all you;d need is for him to be the Alonzo Harris to John's Ethan Hawke to make his part work.

Yeah, but it was pretty awesome how Brainiac showed up in the Fortress of Solitude and tricked Lex into destroying the Earth.

Something tells me you would hate minorities in tv and movies, regardless. JL just gave you a flimsy, barely defendable excuse.

Says the guy who wasted time by responding to a topic he supposedly didn't give a shit about.

>Returns is just a two hour Donner circle jerk

I agree with you on that one, never said anything else though. That was exactly the reason why I thought Returns was a nice addition to the mix. It was basically Superman 3 and a proper kind of finale of donner's movies

>The whole father thing has weird rapey connotations to it

well, it was singer who directed it.... kek

>Lois has never been more of a cunt

I thought she was passable. didn't really like the actress that much

>Luthor's plan is ANOTHER goddamn real estate scheme and one that doesn't even make sense

yeah, that entire thing was a bore. superman's powers could've been portrayed perfectly with the effects used in Returns, yet they take Luthor. AGAIN

Superman erased Lois Lane's memory of their time together with a super-kiss in Superman 2. Now, that was certainly bad but not so bad because nothing came out of it.

Superman Returns opened with this idea that Superman managed to get Lois preggas before fucking off to find Krypton, leaving her pregnant with his kid and without knowing who the father of the baby growing inside her belly was.

Fuck Superman Returns.

How new are you

>Plenty more people would have gone if the protagonist was John
prove it

He's not wrong. Token minorities in media that don't serve much if any purpose has reached a meta level of presence when South Park has a character named Token... who's black.

>sick of catering to casuals
you mean movies with MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in their budget want to cater to the largest crowd?

who would have fucking guessed

>Hurr durr look at his spelling error on de internet. Clearly he is da below average intelligence

Minorities are fine

Forced token minorities are not

The latter happens in media more often

Kyle showed up once in STAS, he didn't even appear again until sometime in JL and even then he didn't have a speaking role.

In retrospect, perhaps it would have been better if the movie Antman'd the main characters. Like, having John Stewart be this experienced veteran somewhere between middle age and retirement who the movie makes explicitly clear has had more adventures/acts of heroism than anyone can count----but in present is more of a mentor to Hal than the main focus.

Not sure how Kyle in the movie would work but balancing three protagonists is completely manageable under the right scriptwriter/director.

Maybe my standards are just low, but I liked this movie at first, and it's what made me interested in checking out GL comics.

Of course I rewatched it after buying it for $3 years later after having actually read some GL comics and then suddenly I started to get why some people thought it was pretty bad.

On a semi related topic, I am interested in reading Ghost Rider.

>He's not wrong because I'm a racist fuck like he is.
Thanks for the heads up, Billy Bob. How's the Wife/Sister doing?

>why did people wonder why the most popular cartoon iteration of a green lantern wasn't the one in the movie
gee

Okay, and what constitutes a token minority?

It wasn't the spelling, it was the racist comment, Brainiac.

>leaving her pregnant with his kid and without knowing who the father of the baby growing inside her belly was.
>and without knowing who the father of the baby growing inside her belly was.

what? wasn't it obviously clear that she knew he was the father? it only appeared as if she didn't want to admit it to herself properly but she did know

She had a suspicion, but she didn't knew. She only realized for real when she saw her kid using his powers.

If you're the only one that isn't white

I haven't even fully seen the movie, I'm just saying Hal is the first and Hal established the current mythos. Carol Ferris too, she's a big part of the whole picture with Star Sapphire.

You may not NEED Hal, but you WANT him there if you're making a movie about Green Lantern for the first time. It makes sense.

(Technically Alan is the first but they keep insisting his star heart thing has nothing to with the Green Lantern corp so he's like his own character when it comes to making movies about the current Green Lantern.)

If she didn't know, then Superman still slept with a woman and erased her memory of it, which is sketchy at best and criminal at worst.

If she did know or even have an inkling of it, then she purposefully tricked some schmuck into thinking it was his kid and thus had him raise a kid that wasn't his without his knowledge of doing so.

Either way, the whole thing is fucked.

How's your wife's kids doing?

>If she didn't know, then Superman still slept with a woman and erased her memory of it

I actually never even thought about that scenario. in my eyes, he had sex with her after the memory wipe and THEN left. was it ever stated that he left instantly after superman 2?

But like Aziz Ansari said, if we have TWO or more minorities in the main cast, then the show becomes ethnic and lose white viewers!

>getting upset at racism

Save yourself and the rest of the world the trouble and kill yourself. The world is not a nice place.

He left instantly after that precisely because he couldn't be with her no more. Lois was left confused. One moment Superman is there and the next Superman is gone and she can't stop throwing up.

>The world is not a nice place
>this is ok

>There are people who think Aziz Ansari is funny

There is literally no reason a Green Lantern even has to have a black guy

Like did the alien council suddenly go "hm, maybe we should get a black guy to represent earth instead of the majority white people"

>If something is broken, don't fix it.

But white people aren't the majority.

white people were the majority for a large part of the history of the modern worlf

And when the Justice League cartoon came out there were people that asked by Green Lantern was black all of a sudden. What's your point?

Asians are the largest group on the planet. The same flawed argument you just made against John works against Hal!

Spoken like a true white person.

White people have been outnumbered by asians since the dawn of time.

>And when the Justice League cartoon came out there were people that asked by Green Lantern was black all of a sudden

Yeah, that group of 25 people was really gonna put a dent in the ratings.

asian people don't write comics or make the media so they don't deserve to be put in either anyways

Confirmed not old enough for DCAU

But we're not talking about comic writers, we're talking about the Guardians of the Universe and the idea that if they did pick lanterns, they would be ones who's arbitrary ethnicity is the most populous. And if that were the case, which it's not but if it were, then it wouldn't be 3 white guys, a black guy, a hispanic woman and a middle eastern who they'd pick.

>The world should be my autistic fantasy where everyone is nice and we ignore all of our differences, cultural and biological because I'm a retarded faggot who gets upset at people who don't think the way I do.

Please kill yourselves

what the fuck...

>majority white people
>thinks the US is the world

>I'm a retarded faggot who gets upset at people who don't think the way I do.

And that doesn't describe you, Senor "everyone who disagrees with me should kill themselves"?

Hal's GL didn't really sell since the 70s.

There was a reason they did something with drastic with Kyle.

I wish I had a more appropriate picture but thanks for the keks man.

arguing between hal and john is pointless because the movie should have been about sinestro

I'm about as fucking white as white can get and this is a true statement.

Well they cater to casuals by changing the character to appeal to them, it doesn't because they're whimsical and only like things if lots of other people do, and the whole movie bombs.

So you've made negative money. OR you can cater to the actual fanbase who will keep coming back with more money for you if you give them what they want or think they're going to get.

It works fine for sports. No one in the NFL is catering to my ass and I don't watch sports! But people who don't read comics get catered to with movies based on comics?

MAN OF KEKOLDING.

he only showed up once. It wasn't like he was a central cast member who ended up getting replaced.

He showed up literally once at the end of the series.

Literally one year later, Justice League premiered.

Shut the fuck up, faggot.

By the time this movie came out, most if the younger audience was familiar with John because of the cartoon.

They would have been more familiar with him due to JL and JLU

diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=178540

The 10 top-selling comics in April sold between 72k and 248k. The average was 119,706 copies. Each one of those had a price of $3.99-$5.99. Not to mention that half of those were #1s which gave them a bump.

Compare that to the movies.

Civil War just crossed $1 billion, Age of Ultron brought in $1.4 billion, The Avengers made $1.52 billion, Deadpool, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Winter Soldier made around three-quarters of a billion and Antman made half a billion. And that's all BEFORE DVD/Blu-Ray/VOD, the clothes, toys and licensed home pregnancy tests. And then on top of that there's the extra interest that these movies create for the IPs. It's no coincidence we got a GotG cartoon after the movie and the new Black Panther run launched so close to the Civil War movie or that the Civil War II books exist.

Comics are chump change compared to the movies so when they make movies they're going to prioritize the people who watch movies over the people who buy comics. The NFL doesn't cater to people who don't like sports but if they could make a hundred times more money doing it you can bet your ass they would be.

>The NFL doesn't cater to people who don't like sports
Yes they do. That's why the superbowl is 8 hours of non sports

Ever heard the saying "I'll wait for the movie"? I shouldn't have to explain further.

I get the ads and halftime show are to attract non sports fans but I'm pretty sure only people who seriously follow Football give a shit about pre and post game commentary.

Why not have all 4 lanterns at once? It wouldn't be the first time they've been together and you could make it a buddy cop style of interaction between them. You can still have Hal set up all the big bads but have any lantern you want set up for JL.

>we'll never get a John Stewart/Wally West buddy cop movie
>it won't be called "Stewart and West: The Green Lantern/Flash Movie"

They're the perfect match for a classic buddy cop movie. One's a no-nonsense hardass and the other's a fun-loving goofball. One's black and one's white.

Yeah, because the Europe and Mediterranean Basin were the only inhabbitat parts of the planet until empires started to clolnize shit.