B-b-but comics starring minority characters just don't sell!

>B-b-but comics starring minority characters just don't sell!

>Gwenpool
>100k
Holy shit, what?

here we fucking go, 300+ replies of autists baiting each other

remember kids you need to be an edgy racist in order to fit in on this anonymous website!

>OP thinks sales have to do with what the main character of a book is

lmao

variants my man

Point to me somebody who ever fucking said that ever you coward piece of shit

they don't.

>remember kids you need to be a smug cunt in order to fit in on this anonymous website!
FTFY

>Black Panther beats the Master Race.

Well, the OP just said that, for one.

That's cool and all, but the sales will drop like rock in the next few issues.

is the first number, it will sell 30k in the future because nobody gives a fuck about that gary stu

Jesus, 250k for the top selling book? The industry is truly dying.

nigger might be a minority, but they are the biggest minority reading comics in the US, user. I can believe them driving the sales of Black Panther, easily.

Now, comics depicting other minorities are a different thing, especially the (very divided) LGBTWTFBBQ community, or the carebear tumblrinas.

I assume this is some sort of "Fucking White Male" meta-contextual thing? Like how people who Feel the Bern or want to Make America Great Again are white males, even when they're not? Does this make Red Wolf and The Movement white male-led books retroactively?

30k isn't bad. That's where most characters settle in.

>it will sell 30k in the future
That's still pretty strong, most books hover around the 20,000 mark.

I'm earnestly happy for Christopher Hastings and Gurihiru. They deserve success.

>#1
>Was just featured in a major movie

If he's even half at that by issue 6 I'll be amazed.

Nah most do around 30k. 20k is near death

You do know that the only reason that Black Panther got 250k is because LootCrate is bought a fuckton to include in an upcoming crate, right? Y'know, the same thing that happened with the Rocket Raccoon series that was released a few years back

Not if they have him put the Surfer in a chickenwing again. Hell, just have him put cosmic characters in holds every other issue, it'll sell.

>ARMBARS EVERYWHERE

20k is more like bare minimum. Used to be cancellation level a couple of years back but things have gotten worse.

Well one is a solid and well written and made comic.
The other is the Master Race.

But the Surfer was letting him, you see! To get information out of him... What do you mean the Surfer can read minds?

>no asian super heroes at all
>a BLM comic makes #1

That just means 250k people buy lootcrate, and that's really the bad scenario here.

>Black Panther - minority book
>Gwenpool - quirky female led book
>Both killed it on sales
Now that we know those kind of books can sell a lot, what's the excuse for the Hellcats, the Squirrelgirls, the Angelas?

>the being a libcuck equals maturity meme

Black Panther #1 is just marketing done right, timing the release of a new ongoing to go with the interest from his big screen appearance. Seeing a #1 is far less daunting than seeing a #19.

Honestly the only one on that list that can be called surprising for being so high is Gwenpool.

>B-b-but comics starring minority characters just don't sell!
Said no one ever.

But what about the Totally Relevant Korean Hulk?

True, but 250k is a long fall. Even the big team books of the last few years haven't managed that. For BP it's huge; I think a couple of his recent runs have debuted at 40k.

Then why dident demon knights sell user why was it a flop

Oh right because dc had to much integrity to sell it on the minority's these people don't care about minority's just about company's bending to them.

Why does DC even try? No book with no Batman sells.

>tfw X-Factor sat on 20k sales for years until Marvel decided to relaunch it
Those fuckers killed the best book they were publishing

Sup Forums says that all the time but Sup Forums is usually wrong.

Well, his other runs didn't accompany a gigantic blockbuster that pulled on every stop to make him look like the coolest, nor had an influential "real" author and journalist writing it.

Oh wait I'm retarded your talking about black panther
That's movies making him popular.

>Judging success based on how well a #1 sells

You both should know better.

You're forgetting how much Marvel advertised the shit out of it. Anyone know the variant orders for this? Cause outside of Lootcrate I imagine they were retarded too.

was it good?

People are interested after Civil War. Not shocking.

Since when is Black Panther a minority character?

That's not how Diamond orders work

Silk, Chulk, Iso all feature in books right now.
Their own, even.
And wasn't that witch girl in A-Force Japanese?

VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY OLIVIER COIPEL
HIP-HOP VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
CONNECTING VARIANT COVER A BY SANFORD GREENE
DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
BLACK PANTHER 50TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY FELIPE SMITH
VARIANT COVER BY RYAN SOOK
YOUNG VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
GAME VARIANT COVER BY KABAM
BLANK COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

I don't know the order ratios though

>First issue
>highly promoted comic
>lots of attention from the mainstream press
>Loot Crate orders
>8 variant covers
Let's see how that looks by issue 5 or 10.

They just needed to see how awesome Black Panther is. A lot of people probably didn't even know that Marvel had an african superhero until they saw Civil War.

And my fave character is on that list three times.

It's good to be a Batfag

he means shops ordered in anticipation for people being interested due to Civil War

but it's really just the variants

It's pretty great.

>only one comic in the top 15 isn't marvel or dc

topkek

Pushing them on Loot Crate and adding a ton of variants is what Marvel does to insure first issues get a shitload of orders. Marvel's incredibly short-sighted and doesn't care about actually growing or maintaing sales past the first issue.

And it's only there because of it's crummy TV show. State of this industry.

Comichron marks if it's a loot crate book, did they fuck up this month?

Nah probably more like 100,000 or so.

The others are your general sales for a new number one. Panther was a great book though. It deserves the sales.

We say it all the time you faggot don't try to back out on it now. There is no way you haven't seen it here either.

Comics starring female and minority characters overall statistically sell worse than comics with white males. That's a nearly indisputable fact. You have your outlier titles that pop up from time to time but on a general scale the "minority" lead titles lead the bottom of the pack and are almost always the first to get cancelled. And hey that's shitty but it's the general truth.

Maybe Poe Dameron counts, but the rest of that list is white leads and a robot/droid.

Then there's the fact that they're both 1st issues which in general sell better. So in comparison to other 1st issue releases it seems more accurate to say minority male characters are clearly preferred over white females and a droid.

>gary stu

It was good for anons' dicks
And it's generally fun, with a few blind spots here and there.

Willing to bet you $300,000 the next issue isn't in the top 10

what the hell is that picture?

That's because faggots can't get into good companies like Valiant or indieshit

What the fuck? Why are people buying a Poe Dameron comic?

it appears to be a cucumber with a condom on it, shoved up a pigeon's ass.

Both are absolute shit.

b-b-but muh right side of history

Isn't that the story of what happened to him between crashing on the desert and saving the day later on? It's a huge chunk of movie DLC.

Who would take that bet? Top 10 will already have Rebirth, Civil War 2 #0, Batman, Cap #1, Star Wars, Justice League at least in some order.

Well who doesn't love Poe Dameron?

It's not even BPs movie. Granted he does have the only complete character arc of the main cast, but still.

the argument is that diversity driven books don't sell well
Black Panther isn't a diversity book. It's not very diverse.
Also anything that predates the civil rights movement generally gets a pass.

Because they thought there was gonna be a threesome.

Well, based on how well the Poe figurines sold for Disney Infinity or how he's nowhere to be found on most merchandise, not too many people.

It says Star Wars before Poe Dameron

How the fuck did 3PO get that high?

Star Wars. How have you not noticed Star Wars is the only thing that sells now?

>what's the excuse for the Hellcats, the Squirrelgirls, the Angelas?
The difference is that Gwenpool and Black Panther are good. Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Angela are hot fucking garbage.

IS A FUCKING NUMBER 1 OF A CHARACTER THAT DEBUTED RECRNTLY IN A MOVIE FOR GOD SAKE, WE HAVE BEEN OVER THIS ALREADY.

YES IT SOLD 100K FOR HAVING THE DEADPOOL AND GWEN STACY PART AND BECAUSE IS ALSO A #1 JIIIIZZ

Well, that and T'Challa, apparently.

>all those caps when you're not even saying anything that hasn't already been said in the thread

lol

T'Challa's high sales are due to LootCrate.

I know it looks nice and pretty but LootCrate boosted the sales.

I don't remember Ant Man selling like that when his book had relaunch around the movie.

check the sales for issue 5 or 6, it sold 60k before that it was doing only 20k

He didn't have a relaunch around the movie. In fact, I'm pretty certain the only Ant-Man issue that came out that month was the Secret Wars tie-in since the release schedule had been dicked due to the delays

95- ASTONISHING ANT-MAN

01/15 Ant-Man #1 – 73,370
02/15 Ant-Man #2 – 40,192 (-45.2%)
03/15 Ant-Man #3 – 37,139 (- 7.6%)
04/15 Ant-Man #4 – 31,637 (-14.8%)
05/15 Ant-Man #5 – 83,095 (+162.7%)
06/15 Ant-Man Larger than Life #1- 28,797
07/15 Ant-Man Annual #1 – 24,223
08/15 Ant-Man Last Days - 35,594 (-57.2%)
09/15 ---
10/15 Astonishing Ant-Man #1 - 75,598
11/15 Astonishing Ant-Man #2 - 31,358 (-58.5%)
12/15 Astonishing Ant-Man #3 - 27,913 (-11.0%)
01/16 Astonishing Ant-Man #4 - 25,768 (- 7.7%)
02/16 Astonishing Ant-Man #5 - 22,168 (-14.0%)
03/16 Astonishing Ant-Man #6 - 20,375 (- 8.1%)

Since issue#2 : - 35.0%
Average +% TPB sales #1-5 : +11.0%
ANT-MAN TPB VOL.1: 4,406

Didn't the movie come out in August? The fuck caused the sales spike in May?

the comicsbeat commentary for that month says

>There is probably a special retailer deal behind this explosion in sales because, even taking the movie release into account, you can’t expect to lure so many people into reading the floppy final part of an arc!

>lootcrate

seriously though you're ignoring that sjw organizations buy the comics with minorities just to get them high on the sales charts

He is african Batman/Doom

Lol this guy

You know, I need to stop looking at these sales figures, because they just depress me.

>sjw organizations

List them

Movie hype and variants out of the ass. We ordered a lot of Panther books and didn't even sell half. It will drop to 60,000 by #2

boards.Sup Forums.org/co/

why on earth would anyone pay 5 dollars for a fucking comic book.

Because Batman at #50 still sells over 100,000 and Marvel only has Star Wars and 1's to match it.

>Vision not even at 20k

Why do people hate good books?

>Spider-Man sells that low

Him at Batman should be at the same level. What the fuck happened?

Slott

They take the Win-O downloads into account? Or just the leaks?

You know for something to be a beloved success we have to hate it.