Anybody else really miss secret identities in comics?

We still have some, but a majority of the characters who’ve had them have gone public. I know some could argue that the concept is outdated, but I like it and feel it enriches the plot.

IMO I feel that secret identities made comics more interesting with all the risks that came with the indentity being revealed, I feel like the fact Superheroes NEED to be 100% realistic kills some of the fun.

DC still does secret identities, right?

I definitely miss them in Marvel though.

Yeah. Aside from Dinah, DC has kept most of their secret IDs intact.

Nobody really keeps a secret identity because of Iphones and shit.

You know what? I going make up Super hero called [insert super hero name]. It is about a brain dead retard that can summon a Superman from his mind.

>Nobody really keeps a secret identity because of Iphones and shit.
I still think it can work. Besides, these are fantasy universes.

Part of me even misses Tony Stark having a secret identity.

Is there a comic where the hero's identity is kept secret from the Readers?

Wolverine for a number of years I suppose.

So a coma patient with a Stand? That's not a bad angle.

The Phantom Stranger.

Maybe not "brain dead retard" but there are a few who have a similar shtick.

I like the trend in comics of heroes sharing their secret ID with loved ones. The tropes that went along with keeping secrets from family and friends was beyond tired.

Yes, the concept of the split identity and the alter ego is one of the core reasons comic books are good to begin with. It isn't merely some plot contrivance, it's a means to explore the psychology of the character in expressive and dramatic ways, with the persona and the alter ego reflecting extremes of the characters personality. It's what gives many comic books their window into thematic depth.

Spider-Man and Squirrel Girl still have secret identities. Oh and Thor.

Now a days, though, people can have separate identities all they want. But fewer and fewer people do. I don't understand this at all. Why would you ever participate in a forum as yourself?

I think this is a really fun concept. It kind of sucks though that the actual person ends up with no actual power of their own. It can make for an interesting story, but man if that was my power, I feel like it would be frustrating.

>Squirrel Girl
No. She doesn't even wear a mask and never did.

FemThor for a while.

Neither does Superman, but like him she has a civilian identity that is not know to the public at large.

I'm always acting as my genuine self in these places. I don't come here to pretend to be someone else.

I will never get the modern desire to make comics as realistic and "tacticool" as possible.

I wish a lot of the ones that wore masks were reinstated like Hawkeye, Carol Danvers, She-Hulk, and a few more of the Avengers. And I wish Canary went back to wearing a wig when she was superheroing and had her own dark hair as Dinah Lance the lawyer. But overall, this is a bigger problem in Marvel where Spider-Man and Daredevil are effectively the only heroes with secret identities anymore. (Unless you count the new teen characters nobody cares about) I understand they want to reflect the movies where hardly any characters have them, but the movies aren't the comics.

>Your super hero stands get laid and Memories of his sex will go to.
>Tfw you jizz in your pants.

There have been disabled characters who superhero using magic or tech. Iron Man was like that for a while, and some other Marvel thing with wings. MANTIS, that was his whole shtick. Dark Angel's love interest tagged along for spy stuff in later seasons with an exoskeleton.

>totally regular person
Doesn't look like a regular person. And it's odd that they're portraying Doreen as a high school student since she fucked Wolverine.

She attended college in costume. She can't hide her tail. She is completely known.

I'm pretty over secret identities, aside from characters like Batman where they're crucial to who he is.

The plotlines and tropes that go along with secret identities are so played out and trite at this point

Usually, the way I act online is pretty close to the way I act in real life, maybe SLIGHTLY less inhibited. Though I don't tie my identity online to my real life identity. I got various usernames and such.

>it'll never be your dick

I think that's fine. I am thinking more along the lines of like how the person above mentioned. Like summoning another entity while the main character sits off to the side of a building or something, seeing everything through his stands eyes or something.

You are an alien thing. A walking shell, with no substance. Why are we considered the same species?

She stuffs her tail down her pants, said so in her first appearance. Gives her a big butt.

Well luckily for them, nearly everyone in their respective universes has crippling autism

Everything about that comic is terrible. Completely undoing all of her character development to empower Tumblr feminists who are into shitty webcomics.

Bendis was awful at writing Squirrel Girl, you can hate it if you like, but at least she has her own character in this book.

Better a gag character than like Nico Minoru or something.

Bendis is awful at writing everything, but that right there shit ground up, swallowed, vomited, eaten again, shit out, and microwaved.

Nico gags a lot, tho.

I'm not, that's just how you've come to see the world around you.

Whatever, pod person. Go buy some doritos.

Why the fuck did they turn her into Lena Dunham?

Thanks Mr. Hubbard.

She's never the same twice.

Is there a specific name for this power because just calling it having a stand/avatar?

I loved him having a secret identity in Armored Adventures.

Astral projection?

Mmmm, not quite. Astral projection is either a subset/cousin of the powerset, depending on how astral projection is used.

God, the art is terrible?

I do too. I always loved secret identities since I was a kid. I always felt that it added drama with them trying to keep their secret from their loved ones was always fun to watch.

That, and I love a good "Character changing into their alter ego" routine.

Civilian day life is fine.

The whole thing where you hide it from friends and family and everyone thinks you're a total pussy when something dangerous happens is a pretty tired trope.

Literally 3 women want the spider dick.

I don't mind it.

I feel like it might not be a bad idea to reveal this to immediate family. Like parent(s), siblings, etc, especially if they live at home with them. That way they can be prepared. At least reveal it if they suspect that everything is starting to go south, so they won't just walk into a bad trap.

>3
First day on Sup Forums?

Watchmen

This. It never helped that conveniently, the hero's loved ones would always end up in danger anyway.

I miss super heroes having a supporting cast made up of mostly normal human beings instead of super scientists and spies. Which probably goes hand-in-hand with the abandonment of the secret identity, super heroes have in a weird way lost all attachment to the every day world.

It's why I hate Super Scientist Peter Parker.

I don't love it when heroes refer to each other by their real name not even during casual shit

Agreed 100%

>namor not on the same class as the hulk
yeah this list is bullshit

>Completely undoing all of her character development
That's like complaining about new air.

I mean, I enjoy it depending on the story.
Like in X-Men evolution, I did like that they tried to hide their powers and fit in.
I'll admit though that I also love the fall out when their identities are revealed. But you only get one of those reveals per run presumably.
I think it all comes down to how the writer handles it, espically in modern times since shit has gotten a lot more complicated because of smart phones and what not, compared to the last 60 or so years.

What? They're not completely gone in Marvel.

> Miles Morales
> Ms. Marvel
> Black Cat
> Peter Parker
> Silk
> Venom (Flash Thompson)
> Nova
> Thor (Jane Foster)
> Daredevil
> Blind Spot
> Iron Fist
> Spider Woman (Gwen Stacey)

Pretty sure there's more I'm forgetting

I suppose. When every man in the 1930s dressed like this, the glasses disguise for Clark Kent isn't that bad. That said, I don't want them to get rid of it. And there are ways for other heroes to avoid detection.

I think it's just a concept that has changed over time and writers need to think up new and exciting ways to execute the idea.

More than half of them are new age diversity heroes no one except Tumblr cares about. Hell, Blindspot's a fucking illegal alien. Daredevil should get him deported.

Yeah. It's still believable to an extent. And it's a fictional world after all. You can't stress realism in places with giant purple guys who eat planets and tree monsters.

Black Cat's identity has always been an inconsistent thing just like Catwoman.

Everyone knows who Iron Fist is. Same for Blindspot.

>Everyone knows who Iron Fist is.
Really? When did that happen?

Half of those are Spider-Man characters.

For Superman, I prefer the "Why would Superman need a secret identity?" explanation

>character development
>Squirrel Girl

For the same reason why celebrities hate their fans - can you imagine Clark being assaulted at all hours by people who want him to sign an autograph?

He has the best of both worlds.

You know what I miss? Supporting characters that don't end up becoming superpeople themselves.

Yeah. That's good too. Could easily say he's somewhere else like space, the other side of the world, or the fortress. He's certainly fast enough to be.
Yeah. The Fantastic Four are really the celebrity heroes. I wish it would stay with them for the most part.

Jesus Christ. THIS! It's a miracle Jimmy Olsen and J. Jonah Jameson don't have powers now. I remember that episode of Spectacular Spider-Man when Pete was looking for Venom and he saw Flash and said at least he doesn't have an alien symbiote bonded to him, sarcastically.

It's also a problem that some fans believe that the only characters superheroes can be with are other superheroes. Like the Supers/Wonder Woman shipping or Pete/Carol. And the answer is not to give Lois powers or give Mary Jane armor, or make an alternate reality Gwen with spider powers. Just let them fucking be.

Sometimes it works. Like with Rhodey and Pepper for example. And I even like Red Hulk, Red She Hulk, and A-Bomb. But you shouldn't go beyond that.

Just say
>shipperfags
and spare yourself some effort next time.

But that's only a part of the problem, just look at the damn Hulk, they didn't just Hulk out Betty, they Hulked out her dad and fucking Rick Jones too. Oh yeah, and fucking Cho.
God I hate the Hulk family, only worthwile ones are Jen and Samson.

>only worthwile ones are Jen and Samson
My nigga.
Bummed that CWII gives us back Samson but takes away Jen.

He's Judas.

She'll be back and he'll get killed again.
Fuck current Marvel.

Wild Dog

Shadowhawk.

Yeah, I especially liked the story where Lex Luthor suspects that there's a connection between Superman and Clark Kent, so he has a supercomputer analyze it. The Computer concludes that Superman and Kent are the same person, but Luthor dismisses it, he's incapable of conceiving the idea that a man as powerful as Superman would debase himself like that, since he never would.
It annoyed me that in BvS Luthor learned the secret off-screen and we didn't really see him have any reaction or disbelief.

Now I have them in mind hanging out in some house and Jen going "well, now it's your turn to be on funny pages, see you in six months".

I was glad when Aunt May found out, but then OMD had to reverse it and Peter still refuses to share the secret with his Aunt, it's pathetic.

The majority of DC characters still have secret identities.
As for Marvel, I think only Spider-related characters and the kiddy squad bother with that.

I always loved the concept of secret identities too.

secret identities are IRL a horrible thing only bad people use on the internet, so why would secret identities be applied to characters of virtues like Superheroes

Eh. I like the dynamic of him hiding it. Even from his loved ones.

Who?

Are you missing a word in your question or something?

They use them so bad guys don't take their revenge out on their friends and family. C'mon user, this is Superhero 101.

what happened to the art

JJJ had powers in Spider Island, and Olsen gets powers during every other event, and has since superdickery was commonplace.
If they don't have powers, they can't protect themselves from assassins of course. Secret identities never protect you from the mafia. Having the hero protect his friends and family from assassins with his/her powers makes them seem more selfish than heroic.

Yeah, and at one point they just hulked out everybody at once. Everybody is Stiltman, etc.

You don't know how right you are.

And an angel who didn't choose sides, and Joe Kerr, and Adam. None of his backstories has been canonized. He is but a stranger.

ok
so everyone is hulk?

>Thing Hulk
>Carol possibly Binary Hulk
>Thor Hulk
No one is safe