/lbg/- Letterboxd General

Tony Scott edition.

Previous thread: >Not sure what letterboxd is all about?
The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the intelligent discussion of film as art by providing members with opportunities for intellectual discussion, by recognizing patrician taste through examinations and by calling out embryos as they arise.

>Directions for use
Post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched, if you dare.

>Haven't got an account? Follow this link and sign up today!
letterboxd.com

>News
Talk shit get hit.

Use as a link to find the /lbg/ thread.

Remember the following:
>Patricians occasionally read these generals and have posted here before.
>Patricians may pretend to be normal users asking for recommendations and when you recommend something, they laugh at you for your plebian taste
>This is a thread for patrician purposes only don't offer or expect frivolous discussion.

>QotT
What do you think of Tony Scott?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XF3BGgpCZas
youtube.com/watch?v=lRFrDrpZSEA
youtube.com/watch?v=bIOymozaiPg
youtube.com/watch?v=aSXEwk08ytA
variety.com/2017/film/global/mk2-films-acquires-20-films-by-late-iranian-master-abbas-kiarostami-exclusive-1202439835/
youtube.com/watch?v=AVkgal-hTQk
letterboxd.com/YellowRomeda/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tony the Tiger?
I LOVE Frosted Flakes! MMMMMM!

>What do you think of Tony Scott?

i think he's the embarrassing little brother of a true master

Reminder that smoothhands got EXPOSED 7 (SEVEN) times last thread

So like the relationship between D.W. Griffith and every other filmmaker. Reminder that Griffith did everything first and best. You're all reddit-tier plebs who know nothing of cinema.

dumb redditposter

He neither did sound nor color first.

griffith, as good as he was, was prehistoric compared to the vision of ridley. to him 'exodus: gods and kings' would be utterly ineffable in concept.

it's not disparaging to griffith to say this but his art's been surpassed. he proved that film is objectively the perfect medium, but it's wrong to say his art is unsurpassed because cinema has grown. scott's exodus is a forerunning proof of this.

Griffith did sound for a feature in 1921 with Dream Street.

"""exposed"""

Griffith already did Exodus

your response says nothing other than that you haven't seen/didn't understand ridley's exodus

As an artform, cinema peaked with Exodus: Gods and Kings.

I ate too much chelo kabab and now I feel sick. Movies for this feel?

>CGI
>Good
The epic already reached its peak in the 20's.

Stand straight and keep your head down when you speak to me, flickboy.

>Film
>art
That's a contradiction as film fundamentally cannot be art due to always being constrained to other superior mediums. It can be a popular culture artifact but not art let alone high art

Are you retarded?

>he hasn't seen heaven's gate
>he hasn't seen deer hunter
>he hasn't seen gladiator
>he thinks anything from the 20s is better than gone with the wind
sad

Everyone gets to expose the pedo. Even tsar

>That's a contradiction

No, it's not.

>film fundamentally cannot be art

Yes, it is.

>due to always being constrained to other superior mediums

Except it's not.

I wonder how PUNQ's wife reacts when he watches every old movie ever made so he can find the first ever nigger babies scene in cinema

funnily enough, film only became a medium unto itself (that is, free from the elements of theater, photography and literature) after Griffiths, when the foundations for film were problematized in the post-war avant-garde cinema

this is not casual

I wonder how PUNQ's wife reacts when she wakes up in bed with her nose in the smelly ass of one of his nigger babies

You clearly don't know anything about Griffith past the 10's. pic-related. lbg exposed for not knowing anything about film not on TSPDT

Cimino is a faggot that crushed Griffith's studio singlehandedly. Ridley Scott is literally a commercial director (he started making commercials), and Gone With the Wind is incredible but epics were already perfected in the 20's. get better taste tsar

Thanks bud.

the studio was crushed by producers who didn't even allow the public to see the greatest american film since gwtw - if you dislike cimino you are somehow missing his unique artistry

ridley, oh no he makes commercial films, he even made literal tv adverts! literally anti-art!
he's still the only person putting his own money and reputation on the line (has produced pretty much everything he's done since gladiator) as often as he can afford to in order to make the only modern epics like exodus, gladiator, even prometheus, some of which are, to a certain extent, are passion projects
people ACTUALLY think the director of blade runner is a hack, seriously never fails to make me laugh. you think that that total coming together of visuals, themes, and sound was a fluke? amazing

there might as well not be a difference at this point

it's parody vs. self-parody

Might want to actually click the link instead of just taking screen shots of it. The chronophone came before the phono-kinema. Dream Street wasn't even the first film to use the latter.

zoopraxiscope is the the superior medium and the only reason it didn't take off is because Jews in Edison's employ crushed it. Look it up!

Sound is sound nigger

>Griffith wasn't the first to shoot films digitally, he must be shit

>Griffith was the first to shoot films that do such-and-such, he must be the best!

I wonder how PUNQ's wife reacts whe she can't watch her Beverly Housewives reality shows because he's too busy hogging the tv, looking at Birth of a Nation for the millionth time and fapping to his nigger babies

cheesy bait!

>if I make an exact copy of Ulysses, my book is the greatest ever made now

If D.W. Griffith had had his way all black characters were played by whites in blackface and no niggerbabies, where would PUNQ be then with no niggerbabbies to fap too

Are you really implying that any filmmaker has ever made an exact copy of a Griffith film or any other film? It's literally impossible. You are the thickest person ever.

oooh, that is such a qt black man!

>name one thing Griffith didn't do first
>*names a thing
>he did that first
>*prove he didn't
>who even cares?!!! lololollXD
kek

B T F O
T
F
O

Sound is sound, the form is the same. If you're accounting for "technological improvements", then the best films are digital hd films, everything before is shit. You're basically tsar at this point.
Yes

>when the most important episode in your life ends

>When your heart is breaking and only your bodyguard notices but doesn't say anything.

>4 minutes since reply
BTFO!!

>when you force yourself to let go of the best thing in your life because of your questionable loyalty to your work

Your point? Griffith wasn't the first to use sound for a film.
Plus tsar is killing you right now.

>Your point? Griffith wasn't the first to use sound for a film.
You just conceded my point and metaphorically bowed down to me. Kneel, dog, kneel.

/thegr1fter

Recommend me some good zombie movies I haven't heard of please.

Michael Mann loves showers and Chris Cornell

>I'M RIGHT BECAUSE I SAY I'M RIGHT DESPITE ALL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

youtube.com/watch?v=XF3BGgpCZas

nah, you know I've won and now you're going full sperg mode to hide it

>this hack direction
yikesing @ dontwatch griffith rn

Good time to pull this one out. Feel free to repost as necessary. I imagine it will be needed a lot very soon.

will megaautist recover from this latest BTFOing?

>Griffith wasn't the first to use sound for film
>literally sound
BTFO

>hack direction
Off with your head

>that gif
Still better continuity than Mann

Looks like the back peddling has officially began

>peddling

and there you have it
objectively the greatest film ever made

we do not need film, we will need art for another hundred years because of miami vice

Might want to actually click the link instead of just taking screen shots of it. The chronophone came before the phono-kinema. Dream Street wasn't even the first film to use the latter.

I will kill you all

Sound example right here. Only place I can find a clip from it right now. Skip to 12:32
youtube.com/watch?v=lRFrDrpZSEA

>shorts

youtube.com/watch?v=bIOymozaiPg

will not*
and with that typo i retire to bed

raising awareness about miami vice, even here, is genuinely fulfilling. i want nothing more than for it to be recognised as the greatest film ever made, and i believe it will be eventually.

i've been changing my life, and this film is why i still care about cinema; it is life, it is the ultimate artistic success along with mad men and the tribe.

'you know your path, child! now, follow it!' - grandmother willow

leave now, life is short, time is luck

please watch only lovers left alive, stop worshipping dead artists, and live life ----

----

you are ALL needed in the outside world
your expression is needed
your friendship is needed

>the tribe
you mean that 'muh sign language' gimmick film?

>not pic related

I thought VA was dead

no the oz tv show abuot the death of adults

youtube.com/watch?v=aSXEwk08ytA

nz*

Dear dropout_gorro,

You are the worst user.

Sincerely,
/lbg/'s Resident Patrician

Should I jerk off using my cousin's panties? I may never have this opportunity again.

Take life by the balls.

yes dude, cousin panties are the greatest gift of god

a pair of pants

who'm'st

Thanks boys

dropout_gorro. He's the worst user.
I'm /lbg/'s Resident Patrician and "archnemesis" of dropout_gorro?

>?
It's not a question btw, it's a fact.

variety.com/2017/film/global/mk2-films-acquires-20-films-by-late-iranian-master-abbas-kiarostami-exclusive-1202439835/

>Under the agreement – signed with the Institute Kanoon (Institut iranien pour le Développement Intellectuel des Enfants et des Adolescents), MK2 will restore the 20 films of Kiarostami in 4K. Among the acquired titles are “Where is My Friend’s Home,””And Life Goes On” and “The Traveler,” Kiarostami’s first feature film.

>Some of the acquired titles include films that mostly unknown, as well as 14 short- and medium-length films, notably his very first film, “The Bread and Alley,” which came out in 1970.

GET FUCKING HYPE

good movie /lbg/

youtube.com/watch?v=AVkgal-hTQk

Thanks to whoever had this movie in their favorites here. This was pure fucking kino.

you should check out Teshigahara's other collaborations with Abe too, if you liked that - Pitfall, The Face of Another (my personal favorite), The Man Without a Map, and Ako (a short film, but still very good)

letterboxd.com/YellowRomeda/

my cinematography lecturer loved Tony Scott and worked with him, he had a really distinct style but it doesn't really interest me

What did either of them do formally new that wasn't already done by 1939

Flesh and Fantasy+A Woman's Face+Scotland Yard>Eyes Without a Face+Face of Another

Get better taste, criterionbabby

post profile

Stop posting. Go somewhere else.

>watching films on youtube in 240p at 1.5 speed
typical mega autist

Thanks, will check it out. The Face of Another looked really interesting to me.

The Face of Another and Double Suicide are 2 of the artsiest movies ever made

What did any of them do that wasn't already done better in 18th and 19th century novels?

Read a book, you pathetic faggot.

Get better taste first