Why there is so few action cartoons nowdays?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W8lRK4VQ3n8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they don't make money

People doing modern cartoons have no idea about how to make action scenes, guess they don't teach that on SVA or CalArts

If you want good action cartoons just watch anime

Because, despite what people say, whenever people come out with action cartoons, for one reason or another, no one really ends up watching them or talking about them.

They're expensive and require good toy sales to be profitable.

Action requires animations
Animation require effort and money

Why waste time on it when you can make 3 frames with the characters having silly facial expressions/crying/nothing and market it

Yeah. I liked Ninja School or whatever the fuck but in the end, it became tv fodder that no one liked.

How works the bussiness right now?

Honest question. In the 80s and early 90s thing was easy, they make the toons to sell toys of said toons.

But right now (except TMNT and Transformers) toons doesn't seem as marketized, so...where exactly comes the money from?

I wish

Most anime are about nothing happening, even shows about fantasy worlds are entirely wasted on faces talking and fixed scenery. And when a show has actual animation, guess what, they put all the animation effort in faces talking. Look how well animated this highschooler is, she is cutely moving her hands while talking.

I think Kabaneri is the first ACtION thing properly animated in the last 6 years or so.

Blah blah blah toys blah blah blah audience blah blah blah the cartoons out now are easier to make

cant have shows that appeal to boys exclusively anymore

What do you consider an "action show" to be? Because I'm pretty sure there's a fuckton of decent/good action shows out there and I doubt you've seen all of them.

>so...where exactly comes the money from?
What money?

>action cartoons are not profitables anymore
>you can get money as youtuber

what a shitty time to be alive!

TMNT definitely makes its money from merchandise

>Because I'm pretty sure there's a fuckton of decent/good action shows out there
Like what?

there is no money as kids go for electronic stuff so the shows don't exist

maybe licensed mobile apps could take care of it, but I guess it's not significant enough

Do not believe this shit there's like 1 show every year that has decent action and that's it.

Accept Jojo into your heart kiddo

that being said the drop in action cartoons probs coincides with the drop in quality of anime action, most comedy or drama you can just keep making more episodes without having to put too much effort into. Compare it to most live action stuff and look how long stuff like soap operas or shitty comedies last for, and they rake in shit tons of money. It is just easier to write and easier to produce. it's disappointing but that is how trends work. Children watching it now will probably question where all the "comedy" shows are when they grow up, while some sort of other trend is the money fountain

Sup Forums wouldn't know a thing about anime even if Sup Forums came on here every week and told them about the latest action series. This is why you assholes should stick to your own topics and leave the action to toonami.

I miss when Cassie was allowed to be likeable.

Execs think they need to market action shows to boys, and when girls watch them they shut them down because that is not the demo they want. The last batch of action shows were all cancelled for that exact reason, so studios and networks don't want to invest the money into action shows, for fear of them getting cancelled because the "wrong people are watching".

Hellsing, Darker than Black, FMA, Katanagatari, Code Geass, Sword of the Stranger, Samurai Champloo, Hunter x Hunter, Trigun, Black Lagoon, Soul Eater, Rurouni Kenshin, Gurren Lagann, Attack on Titan, Claymore, Fate/Stay Night, Berserk, Psycho Pass, Full Metal Panic, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop

Is that good enough or do you want more?

Girls don't want action figures.

This is a cartoon board you realise.

They do. Marvel is being shit on right now for not merchandising Black Widow enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=W8lRK4VQ3n8

Read the entire conversation

Anime don't count since it has a higher ratio of people that actually care about quality

Most girls don't.

Because you fags hate on every action cartoon that comes out.

>Marvel cartoons
>Young Justice
>Korra

Whether or not you think they're shitty, you should watch them anyway so that the networks are more willing to greenlight action shows.

I swear Sup Forumsutist are like jehovah witness insisting with this kinds of threads just to have a chance to convert Sup Forums to a Sup Forums and talk shit about its chinese cartoons with damn hot undarage gals...

Those same people bitching would not buy Black Widow merchandise even if it did exist.

>no one really ends up watching them or talking about them.
when its a shit show it is
People still talk about avatar and BTAS and JL

>People still talk about avatar and BTAS and JL
We do, adults, that shouldn't be watching cartoons

but we do and we fucking love it

For starters Action cartoons with UGLY art styles aren't going to make the cut. I'm about to kick Sup Forums in the balls but...

Samurai Jack and Danny Phantom are SHIT because of their shitty art styles.

If you keep watching shit like LoK and YJ then they'll only continue to produce the same garbage.

>insulting Samurai Jack

GET THE FUCK OOUT OF MY BOARD

REEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH

>Samurai Jack
>shitty art style

>user Says there hasn't been much properly action animated anime in about 6 years
Do you realize most of the shows you mentioned are 5+ years old, right?

>Attack on Titan
It had good animation...once each 3 or 4 episodes though.

Most of the really good writers for action cartoons these days like to feature a lot of strong female characters, but toymakers aren't willing to make toys of female characters, so the cartoon clashes with the toy line and the whole thing sinks eventually.

I think it's a myth that little boys won't play with toys of girl characters. I remember stealing some of my sister's dolls just so there would be female characters in the scenarios I put my toys through. And I remember loving my extensive toy car collection because I could imagine they were alive and any gender I wanted them to be.

>samurai jack
>shit
As much as I hate using a Sup Forums meme, Samurai Jack is literally kino. It's art in motion.

>mfw modern cartoons don't even do proper focus groups anymore
honestly it's like the networks don't even know what they are doing anymore(except Disney, disney still has marvel and star wars shows).

Samuria jack was made to imitate the old Japanese art style.

So your point is what? There are still plenty of action shows out there regardless of if the industry has slowed down its pace in making them. Unless you've watched literally all of them so far and thus have a legitimate reason to only be watching the newest shows that air each season.

>Sword of the Stranger
Fuck yeah!

>Be American
>Not allowed to prosper
>~30% unemployment nation wide
>Only foreigners are allowed to be hired for significantly cheaper wages
>Every sector influenced by this
>Even cartoons are animated out of country and just scrapped together by a couple writers and handful of storyboard artists

Kids get their action from them there video games and such

Not really. right now we have Kabaneri, Bungou Stray Dogs and Hero Academia with good animation and action. And thats only in this season. next will have more

It's not that girls don't buy action figures. That's not the issue. It's not about selling BRAVE AND THE BOLD ULTRA BATMAN WITH SUPER BLITZ ACTION ACTION FIGURES. It's not about merchandising - not entirely, at least.

The problem is in how networks make money. They don't make money just by having people watch the shows. They make money by selling advertising slots to companies who want to advertise to the people watching the shows. The issue is that the companies who buy time on the networks who buy shows like Young Justice or whatever, they're trying to sell to boys. The network won't buy a show which doesn't appeal to boys, because it's not the demographic they've sold to their advertisers.

There are channels or networks or whatever who would buy another season of YJ or whatever other recent show you care to talk about, but the execs have decided that it's too risky, there's no guaranteed return. Sir McFartsalot is a guaranteed return, the networks will eat that shit up.

One, they're too expensive to and don't make enough money back.

Two, the social climate has changed. Violence is now frowned upon, as opposed to redeeming villains and talking; action is considered offensive and mean-spirited.

As opposed to the West, where there are zero.

My pont was precisely that not much is done these days. Wasn't complaining about the lack of proper action shows in the history of anime, complaining about there are produced very few of those these days.

The same way there is lot of action cartoons in the story of cartoons but there is few action cartoon nowdays. See my point?

BTW, obviously haven't seen every action show ever, but at least watched every single one meintioned on that post.

if you look at anime as a whole however there is no denying that it has significantly strayed away from the traditional action orientated anime of the 80's and 90's, that's not to say that only the best stuff came from then but you can clearly see that action isn't the focal point and if you even look at the season instead of just one or two shows you can see the amount of absolute garbage anime there is, that isn't to say that there is no action anime but the quality has dropped. It is the same with Western shows, it isn't to say that they are completely gone but they have tried to implement comedy and turn away from the serial drama that most 90's and 00's shows were, and while it is an improvement on some fronts of not having the same "cut to mans's face snarling and play the 'to be continued'" there is a great amount that has been lost. It feels as if writers go into these shows with a little more than a proof of concept and a general idea of where the show should go instead of them having to fully sell their product. And if you look how the merchandise field has changed you can see the reflection. Let's hop back to japan for a moment, I cannot tell you the last time I saw trading cards of a new anime, however when I was a child I fucking had a stack of Yu Yu hakisho ones, flip back over to america and companies seem more inclined to sell children a mobile app that can rake in way more money than a toy a kid will forget about in 3 weeks, I mean I see more stuff made for a general audience consumption rather than a "kids will like an action figure of ______ fighting _______". This strange hope in "the future will be even better" when you can clearly see the opposite in trends when you have shit like SAO dominating as "da greatest and da best" despite being absolute garbage is unbelievable, the market follows trends and as long as those sell it won't change. same here in the West, comedies/random is popular now and it will stay until the next gen

Agree. But as long as i have my action show im ok. wether it be anime or a western cartoon( less likely)

Fuck off Loeb

Just leave actionkino to us

(you)

>People still talk about avatar
Outside of it's loyal fanbase of tumblr artists and bitching on Sup Forums, not really. Discussion died down significantly during Book 2.

Anybody else watch Transformers Animated? I fucking loved this show.

Millienals. They want drama with cuteness. That's all they notice or pay attention too.

Because when someone is good people just enjoy it, most people seem only capable of complaining about things.

Why was Cassie so good?

Young adults with disposable income buying up every bit of merch they can I'd guess.

>Millienals

Do you mean actual millennials or those born after 2000?

Cause those two are different.

I'am a Millenial born in 1995. Best Year Ever FEELS GOOD MAN.

Unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Did I miss the injustice story time?

I think it works if he means actual Millenials, as long as they're Millenial girls. A lot of people on this site seem like they're Millenial guys who were kids in the 90's and are in their 20's now, but cartoons nowadays seem a little more skewed to 18-20 year old girls. I know it's become a cliche at this point, but it's the same people who post on tumblr. Not a judgment or anything, just an observation.

>You can make millions of dollars screaming into a mic while playing a game
You may as well get paid for playing with toys.

Look at Steven Universe. It had so much potential as a new action cartoon but instead, all we get is forced drama and "sad" moments. The few action scenes we get are terrible

>mfw COD severely hurt the FPS genra

It is,actually.

kids can just watch superhero movies now

Shame they had to end it in the third season, we could've got more episodes about these guys.

And you know this how?

So how about that Injustice thread? Did anyone storytime it?

Where did you get 30% unemployment from?

He's being hyperbolic

Isn't there some bullshit law where you can't market toys of a show during the commercials when the show is airing?