ALIEN Mythos

I kind of liked how the original Space Jockey seemed to be some kind of biomechanical organism that was fused to its control station. I thought that made for some interesting possibilities on how their species developed and functioned.

If there had to be an expansion of this setting, it might've been interesting for some human explorers to come across a large orbital structure or moon where we could see more of these things either fused to more control stations or stalking around and cultivating the xeno eggs. There wouldn't even have to be a lot of monsters or jump scares, just humans walking around vast dark halls and tunnels and the Jockeys obliviously doing things beyond our logic for reasons we'll never fully understand. What was their relationship with the xenomorphs? Did they create them to be weapons or were they an experimental life form? Or maybe something else entirely that has no human analogue?

For me, the way Ridley Scott made it so the Jockeys turned out to be "engineers" who looked more like humans instead of giant elephant-like creatures, and actually created humans while David was able to decipher their language, fly their ships and even replicate their xenomorph experiments all felt a little too convenient and lacked a lot of the mystery of the original movie. Where before we were just a minor species that happen stumble on something we shouldn't have by freak accident, now we're suddenly the star creation of the Space Jockeys/engineers who'd actually been looking for us with very clear but simple and not particularly interesting or compelling motivations.

Does anyone else feel this way? I understand Ridley wanted to come back to this universe and explore it, but I feel like there was a way to do it without making the everything seem so small and limited and intentional. There's a way to leave audiences with questions without making them frustrated that they didn't get any answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomechanical_art
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>pleb would rather swim in nihilistic, pointless absurdity than bathe in the rich kino that ridley forged with alien covenant

Go blow your paycheque from your $8/hour pissant job on a fucking action figure if you love them so much, baby. You can't even begin to understand how kino Covenant is because you are a simpleton with no background in philosophy or literature.

I guaran-fucking-tee that the biggest regret in Ridley Scott's life is including the fucking space jockey in Alien
There has never once been a suitable explanation for it and it just promotes retards shitposting against each other online and IRL
I hope when he dies, it's the last fucking thing he sees

I would have totally preferred this user. It would have been cool like you said to see other creepy ways human like robotic figures fused with other mechanical contraptions doing their thing and not paying the humans any mind. It would have gone with the evil corporation theme in that these jockeys are sort of fused to the machine.

Fuck off

>giant elephant-like creatures
>the 'trunk' was clearly a breathing device

>it's an user thinks ridley scott had anything to do with the story or lore of Alien thread

fucking dan o'bannon and some other dude wrote Alien, prometheus and covenant are literally ridley scott's senile Alien fanfic

the further the series gets from the original hrgieger art & constructs for Alien the worst it becomes. this new shit is pathetic. it gets no shekels from me!

uh this guy created it.
EXPLAINED.

O'bannon is dead
Geiger is dead
Alien should die with them

What Scott is doing is no different than what Disney is doing with star wars, rehashing other people's ideas for $$$

The popularity of the Space Jockey just proves there is the opportunity for a science-fiction franchise which is about exploring the kind of dark, slimey, horrific, weird, cold, far out, vast and ancient galaxy it suggests.

In a better timeline the whole Alien franchise would have gone in this direction. Aliens wouldn't have been about the Xenomorphs at all, but would have been its own story set in the same universe with new characters and creatures and settings that built upon the same themes.

They actually were giant elephant aliens in the comics. Kinda similar to the engineers but certainly alien.

What really sucks is that the original script for Prometheus kind of supported your idea. The Engineers didn't give a shit about humanity - they likely had no idea it even existed. Humans only went to the planet because they found a marker from an ancient time on earth and it pointed to a terraformed planet that they sent a ship to.

Because... y'know... Weyland Yutani is a TERRAFORMING/COLONISING COMPANY.
Still pissed about losing that detail.

Also David didn't create shit in that script; the Xenomorphs were genetically engineered from natural alien fauna that already had a similar lifecycle. Natural facehuggers were big, clumsy, hairy tarantula things with no acid or quick reflexes. They needed drones to reproduce effectively so the hive structure also made more sense. They actually sounded like a flawed animal that might exist - the later Xenos were the weaponized version, everything made sleek and deadly. Better than 'The goo made it'

Mind you, Scott doesn't really care. It's a way for him to explore the lamentations of creation, religion, and humanity now. Best bits of Covenant are when David is going full insane creator robot.

It clearly has teeth on its so-called mask.

It's also a dead body that's been decomposing for thousands of years, degradation is bound to happen at some point

Not bad, although the weaponized part is still a little eh. Would've interesting if they served other purposes, maybe one that's just nothing like what we have.

>decomposing
no, its fosilized, the actual inverse of decomposing. grab a book sometime, american.

yeah originally I had the idea that instead of cells like we have and plants have, they had little nano-robot cells. For example instead of little tadpoles for sperm they had little micro machines and they could reproduce with any piece of nearby technology, a flight navigation console for example or even one of the engines. When I was budding as a screenwriter I wrote a fan script based on this concept and mailed it in. I never heard back from them but 11 years later a guy from the studio going through stacks of old scripts e-mailed me to tell me it was one of the best he's ever read, that was in 2002 I believe.

He answered most all of the questions, you just didn't like the answers you got.

Also, why post sandman in a alium bread

Op is absolutely right.
The space jockeys being greek gods than get btfo by an android was a fuck you to banon and giger
Imagine all those times someone told Ridley how cool the xeno and the space jockey was
He was just a director

nanorobots is a gay and dated concept.

> fosilized

Thats not how fossilization works. Skin and bone don't just magically turn to rock.

Pretty neat how you really can't tell where the mechanical ends and the organic begins. It's like they're a natural fusion of both.

Why did there need to be answers?

/thread
fucking loved both premetheus and convenant feelsbad probably have to wait 3 years or more for next movie

>Or maybe something else entirely that has no human analogue?

This has always been the most interesting concept to me with regards to any alien subject, but it seems like any time aliens are touched upon in any medium they must always have human goals, human dispositions, human feelings.

I have a background in philosophy and literature (and by that I mean degree, not browsing /lit/ from time to time) and I think Covenant is boring derivative crap only a complete pleb would find deep. Want my money and two hours back.

Alien franchise is so over rated not even one good movie. It's made for plebs similar to fast and furious franchise. That's why the lore is shit.

Even over millions of years? That's how old they say it could be in the first film

Well, it's kinda hard to conceive non-human goals and thought processes, being, you know, human. So until ayyylmaos come out of the closet and start writing SF we're pretty much stuck with humanized aliens.

Nah, the first one was good. All others are garbage.

>I have a background in philosophy and literature (and by that I mean degree, not browsing /lit/ from time to time)

So you actually wasted money on useless bullshit and think that makes you superior to any other shitposter?

Although I will say that I'm really getting sick of hearing Ozymandius recited all the time.

So even if the first one was good, which personally, i thought it was ok at best. They're like what 1 for 8? Why are you still holding out hope?

xeno is way over explained. it's just a big ant. wow so interesting.

I don't even care that the Space Jockeys turned out to be giant bodybuilders. What bugs me is that Prometheus sets the Engineers up (the only interesting thing they set up), and then Alien: Covenant immediately discards them.

What was the point? I would like to learn more about the Engineers, but the hack writers had nothing, so they killed them off.

I'm just sick of all those self-styled 'patricians' going around pretending they're superior to all the other plebs and have a 'background' in something because they've read a few entry-level books and browsed a few threads.
Also not my money, it was my parents' :3

>I'm Ozymandias, King of Cringe
>Look upon my works, aren't they literally Reeddit?

>biomechanical
why do you keep using that word

>Does anyone else feel this way? I understand Ridley wanted to come back to this universe and explore it, but I feel like there was a way to do it without making the everything seem so small and limited and intentional. There's a way to leave audiences with questions without making them frustrated that they didn't get any answers
Prometheus was a big stinking turd of a movie, that is all.

>just humans walking around vast dark halls and tunnels and the Jockeys obliviously doing things beyond our logic for reasons we'll never fully understand.

Reminds me of "Rendezvous with Rama" witch is pretty good

because he pulled the pasta from some blog, i read the same piece, the blogger-dude meant the way the alien has all these tubes looks mechanical and biological at the same time

>There has never once been a suitable explanation for it.

Its a spacealien, in a chair.

It probably drives the spaceship, but is also a weird spacealien like the other weird spacealiens we see in the series titled 'Alien'.

I made a PhD thesis aout Ozymandias and ancient worlds in 19th poetry

Covenant is K I N O

I know what they mean, it's just that they use the wrong word. It's not just this thread, it's pretty common on this board.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomechanical_art

No, they dont

>word gets into mainstream by being misused by some ignoramus tattoo artist
>somehow makes it legit

That's what its called though. You might not like it but user isn't exactly mistaken in using the term to describe the artstyle, because that is what its commonly referred to as, even if it is annoying. Have you never heard of a homonym?

Anyway, what would you prefer it to be called?

Techno organic?

Ozymandias is a Greek version of one of Ramesses II's names. The "look upon my works" line was written by Diodorus Siculus, a first century Greek historian. The inscription on the colloussus of Ramesses II doesn't even say this line. The Egyptian translators were just lying to the Greeks when they told them this most likely

serious question here, why do people always expect these movies to be deep and intellectually enriching experiences and then walk out disappointed and shit on them every time?
The only movie in the series I would maybe call "deep" is the original alien, and even then that's just because of the whole giger simbology. Yet somehow people expect these movies to be some sort of sci-fi citizen kane each time? Why?

I just wanted more flute playing.

regardless of whether it's originally incorrect, the fact remains that the term has been used to describe the xenomorph and space jockey design for decades. It's not just one single dude in 2017 misusing the word

That word invokes more cybernetic computery stuff, rather than the metal-and-pipe aesthetic of giger

No, no, no. You completely misunderstand. Alien and Aliens have never been considered "deep" movies. They're just good at what they are.

The problem is that Ridley Scott is a hack. We're not the ones that are trying to make the Alien franchise deep. RIDLEY is the one who's going this pretentous, faux-profound route with Prometheus and Covenant. He genuinely seems to think that the botched abortion of a movie he just shat out is actually some profound experience rather than a friday-the-thirteenth-tier space slasher with some flute playing.