So are any of these actually good?

So are any of these actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

themovietimeline.com/film1260
youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh is it time to shit?

i liked the nite owl ones and dollar bill

don't listen to the contrarian shitlords, minutemen and silk spectre are top notch. they're also unfortunately the only good ones. read those two and avoid the others, especially the comedian and rorschach's books.

I just read the rorschach one (The only one that I found in the magazine stand of my city)

Was like, top garbage.

Nothing is availed with the character( emotional, motivations, personality, nothing), . Dialogue is weak. The plot is resolved without any expectations and can still be disappointing. The story is generic, short, and has no relation to the time, situation or reason. Nothing is revealed, nothing is shown, nothing is gained.

It was basically, "we have to create a story in less than two hours" the comic

Silk Spectre, Minutemen, Moloch and Doctor Manhattan are good, the first two moreso than the others.

A shame Darwyn Cooke is dead. He's one of the few writers I can trust with these characters. They should have put him and whoever else co-wrote Silk Spectre with him on the other books to be quite honest my family.

yea I made the mistake of only reading the comedian. I was so excited to read about him, learn more about the most interesting character in watchmen. and all azzarello gives me is him hanging with jfk.

They raped my childhood but not hard enough like Johns.

At least the art was nice.

Why did the gang leader put on Rorschach's mask and try to fight crime, though? That made no sense and turned the whole story into a comedy.

But he also gave us IT'S TIME TO SHIT

Rorschach was the only one I was looking forward and they fucked him up the worst. Absolutely nothing about the character is explored that we don't already know about. They could have put him in a unique situation or outside of his element or SOMETHING that could explore his character in an interesting, thought provoking or emotional way, but nope, let's just have him bust a generic gangbanger.

The scenes with him out of costume were probably the most interesting, cringy as they were, because at least we were seeing something different with the character.

Storytime?

Yes, please. Someone do one of the shittier ones. I'm morbidly curious about The Comedian one but not enough to actually buy it.

I second this. Storytimes of Pain are always fun.

Shhiitt I would be all over this.
Reading shitty books with Sup Forums >>>>>>>>>>> reading good books with Sup Forums

every time we try to storytime before watchmen, the thread ultimately dies because watchfag purists flood in and whine about how they won't support this shit as if refusing to read free pirated copies is somehow sticking it to dc. no thanks.

I'll do the first issue of comedian. I've got stuff to do but time enough To shit

You're awesome. Thanks man.

No problem. Alright here we go

>see before watchmen comming out
>buy the Comedian/Rorschach issue
>2 long ass stories about the comedian being edgy in Vietnam.
>the comedian literally does the My Lai massacre
>one short Rorschach story were Rorschach makes rookie mistakes and gets his ass beat 2 times and literally doesn't die becuase dues ex machina pet tiger kills the bad guys and doesn't maul him. Then he bad guy of the comic gets his head bashed in by a random looter

I kinda liked how Rorschach broke out of his shell and asked that woman out to dinner, thought they might have done a bit more with that. Ashame how it ended, though.

>mfw

Fuck posting the variants

I just read Minutemen / Silk Spectre and they were ok, the first one I liked more. I'm currently trying to slog through the Ozymandias one and it's horrible. The story is pretentious and dull and the art is some of the worst I've ever seen. Ozy only has one expression and he looks like a jackass.

Page 2 and we're already shitting

>one short Rorschach story were Rorschach makes rookie mistakes and gets his ass beat 2 times and literally doesn't die becuase dues ex machina pet tiger kills the bad guys and doesn't maul him. Then he bad guy of the comic gets his head bashed in by a random looter

Fuck me, this sounds like shit. Of all the things they could have done with a Rorschach mini, why that? Especially since the expectations for it at the time were probably through the roof.

Those parts were nice even if they weren't written really well. Walter's a cutie.

Another thing that's relevant: they rip off Taxi Driver WAAAAAY too much. Travis' cameo is such cringecore.

I feel like if Minutemen had Moores name on the cover with the exact same story everybody would love it. It even has rape!

what kind of mistakes? maybe he was still really young and this was his year one.

>deus ex machina pet tiger

wat

>Travis' cameo is such cringecore
No fucking way. I would've heard about this if it had happened.

>what kind of mistakes? maybe he was still really young and this was his year one.

No he wasn't. It took place in the 70's. By this time he'd already let that kidnapper die in the fire.

>I'm a funny guy

Four pages in and I already want to kill myself.

Cooke's ones are great. The Ozymandias is cool if you can get over the weird art

You missed the threads. Rorschach gets saved by a cab driver who turns out to be Travis Bickle.

Yep. It's fitting that a Rorschach solo comic would have something only a edgy faggot 15 year old would think is cool like a Travis Bickle cameo though. I'm honestly surprised they didn't team up and go on a killing spree in a whore house like the end of Rolling Thunder.

Rorschach tried to fight like 6 thugs. He just jumped out into the middle of the room with no plan or weapon. Then he got tied up and was going to be tortured/executed. The bad guys pet tiger escapes its cage and mauls everyone to death, including the guy standing next to Rorschach tied to the bed but not him, himself. He breaks free and walks away.

the comic takes place after he and niteowl split.

This feels like Azzarello just read American Tabloid and thought he could write a James Ellroy-ish comic book.

But fucking hell, he can't.

same with comedian, surprise surprise they were both by fucking azzarello, that rasputin looking faggot fuck.

>hear about Before Watchmen and how it's going to focus on each character instead of telling one big cohesive story
>uninterested until I realize Rorschach is getting one
>oh fuck what's it going to be about
>come up with four theories: it's going to be about little Walter and his life after leaving the orphanage, or the first couple days after he becomes Rorschach and starts fighting crime for the first time, or his partnership with Nite Owl and how they learn to put aside their differences to become friends and partners as they try to take down Big Figure or Underboss, OR some kind of Frankenstein mish mash of a story that combines all these ideas into one big monster
>oh shit oh shit hype levels are through the roof
>then it comes out and I read it
>this face all the way through

Never fucking again.

hahah holy shit are they saying The Comedian is responsible for Monroe's death?
jesus you cant make these characters responsible for ALL the notable shit that happened in those decades.

What the fuck is with the dialogue in this page? Even Bendis would never write shit as annoying as this.

Is it still cucking if he's fucking your mistress and not your wife?

They are.

Later on he shows up for the Watts riots. And much later Comedian kills RFK and bashes his own head over it out of guilt.

is he ever good? he screwed the pooch with Joker, Batman europa, with Before watchmen, and ESPECIALLY with Future's End. I haven't read his wonder woman run but after the shit I've read by him I cant imagine him being good.

By then you'd be pretty underwhelmed by the entire issue that good 'ol Travis didn't come off as surprising but rather 'okay'.

If Moore felt like the entire industry misunderstood what made Watchmen compelling, I feel like these issues would do little to dissuade him of that opinion.

That artwork looks pretty good though

end of the comic spoiler he also assassinates Bobby Kennedy himself to cover up his involvement in the My Lai massacre in Vietnam

It just reminds me that he wrote a forward to the first volume of Azzarello's Hellblazer.

I think Moore is a carmudgeon who is up his own ass but even I agree with that sentiment.

I could be shilling Aftershock books right now...

Yeah, like I said it's like American Tabloid, where Ellroy's characters are glued into the stories of real people. But those books work because they cover entire decades is exhausting detail and they have sly senses of humor about the past. American Tabloid basically ends up being about "What if every single JFK conspiracy theory was real and all happening at the same time", there's a deep vein of black humor running through it.

This just seems like bizarre fanfiction with no sense of humor about itself.

At least get the panel moloch and the comedian cry over JFK

>Rorschach is unable to pay or tip him because he's homeless so no money
>this triggers Travis's autism hardcore and is one of the factors that needles him over the edge to start carrying around a gun

Since these characters seem to be responsible for just about fucking everything in history, they might as well go the extra mile and start fucking up fiction that takes place in the time period too.

>No. I'm not. Because--
>You love--
>--RESPECT him. Honestly.

According to this:
themovietimeline.com/film1260

Travis Bickle starts excercising in 1976, like a year before his encounter with Rorschach.

And there we go. I need a shower

thanks

Thanks. Even with all the negative shit I'd heard over the years I was not expecting...that.

I'll do the second issue and someone else can do the third.

someone storytime the rorschach one. you guys are making me really excited to see it.

bitch to be you right now

>post Vietnam comic
>it ain't me starts playing

C'mon man we're doing comedian right now. If you thought Issue one was bad I pity the poor bastard about to post issue two

oh my god you cant just make him history's hitman, thats so dull and stupid. i mean yeah make him a government agent who handles dark shit sure that was his thing, but if you just make him responsible for every bad thing he no longer feels like a person
i feel like Moore's a little cursed in that regard, he inspires more than he informs with his stories and thats not his fault that people can read a little deeper.
Like the Killing Joke, he helped take the Joker from goofy gangster to legit madman and from then on all people want to do is take that to the nth degree when that wasn't the point.
it was the Why, it was why he poisons rivers and turns fish into literal clown fish, or why he'd plant pie throwing bombs across the city but leave the pie throwing out of the announcement. its the lens he sees the world through, and the whole Killing Joke thing was him trying to get another person to see it that way to, to see life and the world as the big joke it is
HELL HE EVEN SAYS AS MUCH IN THE COMIC, but no people just take it as "durr joker dark killer man, lets given a holocaust sized body count thats cool right?" and now it seems their going to make one of those origins he tells canon, missing the point of that as well
its no wonder people took Watchmen as "oh lets make shit overly dark and grim and cynical"

Thread music

youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM

>open up my copy of Watchmen
>It Aint Me starts playing

this is so glorious

>I think Moore is a carmudgeon who is up his own ass
true buts its not like the industry hasn't given him reason to be

>someone got paid, and not in monopoly money, to write and draw these

let that one sink in for a moment

>that guy with the m4a1 in Vietnam

odd goof considering the rest of the guns are fairly era accurate

Now we're talkin'.

People seem to forget that Watchmen has as many hopeful and nice, sweet and even funny moments as it does serious and depressing. The two Bernies, the running joke with Dan and his door, Manhattan's epiphany that life matters, Dan's relationships with Laurie and Hollis and even Rorschach... Fuck, Rorschach even monologues at one point that holding onto hope is so important when lives are on the line.

Things don't have to be gloom and doom all the time to be realistic.

ya know this coulda been a cool and poignant moment if there was more between them and less of comedian being histories greatest assassin
have Comedian recount of hero stories while bonding with Jack and have the flashbacks be the action and history and intrigue while the bonding builds character, then end on this raid and you have something

>no cameos from Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket characters

If you're going to go schlock hack, go all the way.