Is Watching a Movie on a Phone Really So Bad?

nytimes.com/2017/01/13/movies/is-watching-a-movie-on-a-phone-really-so-bad.html

>“People who watch movies on phones (especially if they think they can leave valid critical comments on imdb) should be shot,” the critic Anne Billson declared on Twitter in mid-December. I quote her not to scold her, or to hold her to her word, but to underscore that passions in the format-platform controversies run high.

>I’ve already cited, in my first installment of this column, David Lynch’s condemnation — more than a decade old — of The Very Idea of Watching a Movie on a Phone. Over the century-plus of cinema, new ways of watching movies have made film folk antsy. In a sense, it’s the one thing that the money guys and the creatives have fretted over in more or less equal measure. Steven Spielberg was initially wary of having his works put on home video, grumbling about movie theaters being sacred spaces and such. Martin Scorsese had more optimism, writing in 1989: “[H]aving instant access to movies, being able to pick something up and show it at the drop of a hat, is great.” Much of the work of his nonprofit restoration and preservation concern the Film Foundation is made available on home video, with high-definition formats preferred.

>Still, smartphone movie-watching is for many a kind of line in the sand, albeit one that streaming services are obliged to ignore. The whole point of a streaming service is that it makes content available to watch on a panoply of devices, from a big-screen display to a tablet or Nook or Kindle or Galaxy or iPhone. I recently got my first iPhone, largely to put a bunch of streaming services on it (also because I was getting sick of everybody asking me “Why do you still have a BlackBerry?”), and dove in.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrYzWIWac
youtube.com/watch?v=wWaVeEI6b2U
mashable.com/2016/05/10/internet-smartphone-developing/
livemint.com/Consumer/97jkewfJMyOwSOnSvR4ESN/Smartphones-to-account-for-twothird-of-world-market-by-2020.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

can't appreciate visual if you are on a smarthphone.

It's like listening to music through a can on a string.

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

Anyone figured out how to watch movies on this bad boy yet?

but nobody does that

Because strings have no internet connection my dude

It's not so bad.

>that drumstick of a thumb
lose weight. Then worry about where you watch kino

>the size of that hand

kys

Because it's hard to get adapters and earphones are more convenient to carry anyway

THICC

lose some weight you fat fuck

it's maybe questionable for Kino, but I don't see any problem with consuming Movies or Flicks on a phone.

Anyone else here know the comfy feel of laying in bed with the lights off and watching a kino on your Wii U gamepad?

I think the pitiful screen size and the terrible audio aren't really the reasons people should be thinking about, it's the fact that people watching movies on their smartphones are usually not fully immersed in the experience. It's just as bad as people browsing Sup Forums while watching movies. I think they should be shot.

Do poorfags really do this?
Streaming is already pathetic, but to watch it on your phone?

Disgusting.

Take a shower
Hit the weights
Get a clue

Me, personally, watch kino on my pc 24" monitor

I watch netflix lying on a bed with my smartphone

I'd genuinely rather sit and zone out for an hour than try to watch a movie on a phone, the video and audio quality are so shit that there's no point to it

Have sex

>watching a movie on a phone
I could understand watching a movie on a tablet but a phone? What the fuck?

what's wrong? my phone has 2k display

How big does a television have to be before it's a valid movie watching device?

It's still a 5-7 inch screen with either shitty speakers or literal earphones for audio.

I understand how much screen size, theater lighting, and, most importantly, theater sound systems can improve the movie viewing experience. That being said, a good movie will transcend its viewing platform. A really good song sounds much, much better on a high quality system than on earbuds, but it's still an enjoyable experience either way.

I think it's okay to watch flicks and movies on your phone but not films and kinos.

>only 2 gender options
>fat disgusting paw
>capcom jacket

LOL typical alt-righter am I right?

>those hands

I find it hard to believe that caring about people who watch films on phones is a thing. I mean I've watched stuff on my phone before going to sleep a few times but I don't really give a fuck what others do.

you have big baby hands

Exactly tree fiddy.

>Streaming is already pathetic

It's cheaper and easier to simply buy a $40 streaming device than it is to setup a >$100 HTPC with a NAS.

The IPS display on my phone looks a lot better than the TN panel on my laptop monitor.

Nothing wrong about watching your favourite shows on the subway commute.

>why are you watching movies on a phone waaaaa you should be shot waa
lel

It's pretty bad.

I used to work at a ski mountain, on slow days it was standard to go on your phone. Watching movies on such a small screen, is better than staring into fog for 6 hours, but on such a small screen appreciating the cinematography and all the details in a shot is nearly impossible. More importantly, the abundance of apps on your phone as well as the lack of immersion on the small screen really doesn't make it a very cinematic experience. Maybe people think of movies like youtube videos, you can pause then pick back up without a care, only half watching it anyways, but for me a movie is something that deserves 90 minutes of your undivided attention.

>but for me a movie is something that deserves 90 minutes of your undivided attention.

What if you have to pee?

y u do this?

this is idiotic. the amount of your field of view that the screen takes up depends on how close you are to the screen. if you hold a phone at a normal viewing distance the image will appear about the same size as a cinema screen from a normal viewing distance.

I have watched tv on my phone only because I didn't feel like getting out of bed. It's been a few years since I done that.

I've never seen anyone watch a movie on their phone. Why not?

Because they can't watch the movie and check their instagram 16,000 times a minute.

yes

Doesn't it hurt your eyes to focus on something that close?

no. why would it? does it hurt you eyes to read a book?

I don't read books at a proximity to my face required by your criteria of the phone looking like a cinema screen.

If I can read a book on my tablet without much problem, I can also watch a movie as so.

I think he's already doing that, albeit slowly.

MOVIES ARE MADE TO BE SEEN ON CINEMAS NOT ON YOUR FUCKING MOBILE PHONE

DELETE THIS

4 U

>KFC poster
There is no hope for you.

Movies only last in theaters for two months. If you miss it, you'll never have the opportunity to see it again, and even if you do see it and want to see it again after they're gone from theaters, it's too late.

Movies shouldn't be designed to be watched in places where they'll only be for such a short time and then gone from forever.

mmmboy are you fat

it's not bad at all. this is like saying people who watch vhs tapes or low quality streams should be shot. there is something to be gained in the experience of watching a movie on a big screen, but either way you are going to get the essence of the movie

Holy fuck everyone on the planet but me is a god damn subhuman retard

what do you think about watching movies with big headphones?

are you that allergic to the switch?

>this is like saying people who watch vhs tapes or low quality streams should be shot
They should be though.

somewhere out there a guy is watching a camrip of a shitty movie on his cheap phone right this moment.

holding a 5" phone a foot from your face the image will probably appear bigger than a 50" tv from your couch.

when he doesn't play, he eats and the switch has no games.

The pixel density is not the same though.

>not owning a projector
>not watching everything on a 100 inch screen

how do you people live this way?

this

Not everyone can afford a house big enough for a home theater.

yeah it will probably be higher on your phone unless you have a 4k tv.

Watching anything on the phone just doesn't feel right, just like doing it on a shitty laptop or PC monitor. A nice 50" TV is the bare minimum.

I was about to post this

why is it a bad thing to do?

i suppose style over substance directors are probably the most affected by small-screen viewing. anyway lynch is a hack and i'm going to watch everything on an iphone from now on to spite him

holy fuck and i was worried that i was obese michelin

Why go through all that when you can watch your movies in a VR theater with a 65 foot screen?

youtube.com/watch?v=gqSrYzWIWac

youtube.com/watch?v=wWaVeEI6b2U

This is such a shitty idea it hurts.

It has the positives of a theatrical experience with none of the negatives.

>a HUUUGE gigantic theatrical screen
>no kids and other annoying peers coughing, sneezing, kicking your seat from behind, etc.
>can pause the movie anytime
>can screen any movie you want
>no pay-per-view
>as much leg room as you can possibly ever want
>you can bring any food and drink you want
>you have the entire theater all to yourself
>tons of different environments to choose from

When people get a hold of this, it will change the world of movies forever.

VR is the future of cinema.

>a HUUUGE gigantic theatrical screen
Literally pointless considering you're inherently limiting the resolution by having a virtual screen within a screen.

it's fine a high quality screen a couple feet from your eyes is just as good as a tv across the room plus you'll probably have headphones which is the best immersion

you can technically have a high enough resolution for this to not be an issue but what's the point of rendering an empty movie theater anyway?

he's old and wrong but to be fair phone screens weren't what they are today

it's hard to tell how big something is without a point of reference. if it's just a screen floating in a black void then it's harder to tell whether it's a large screen far away or a small screen close up.

watch on the left arm so you can masturbate with the right

Yes but it's needlessly convoluted and diminishes the potential resolution of an actual theatre screen. Also half the reason theatres are so great is because of the sound systems.

You're supposed to put a watch on your non-dominant hand so you can check it while doing something and so that it doesn't get in the way. It's not a masturbation thing.

I exclusively watch movies on phone. Who the fuck are you to tell me how to enjoy something?

>sit at table with my freshly cooked meal and watch Better Call Saul off my note 4

Pretty comfy desu

That's Silvermania, a comedian.

It's a joke and you were all stupid and fell for it.

Small retina display close to your face is literally the same as watching on a big screen far away.

Why can't flick directors such as David Lynch grasp basic optics?

i can't wait to have a decent web browsing vr app and a 4k phone.

>there are people on this board right now that actually watch everything on a phone

is a tablet ok?

>basic
then prove it

No

In the developing world, smartphones are the primary electronic device.

mashable.com/2016/05/10/internet-smartphone-developing/

livemint.com/Consumer/97jkewfJMyOwSOnSvR4ESN/Smartphones-to-account-for-twothird-of-world-market-by-2020.html

>tfw my laptop has been in the shop for a week and a half getting the screen repaired and I have experienced the horrors of having to phonepost
I'm going fucking insane

but why, I am sure that is better than a tv from the 60s so if I watch older stuff I am not losing much

I like to be comfy and watch it on a big tv but if you wanna watch shit on your phone then more power to you.

>can't replace his own laptop screen

I bet you paid 80+ as well lol

>having big baby fat hands was a joke and you fell for it
ok.

Sweet Gengar plush

So?