How does the knowledge that we live in an unimaginable huge, 14 billion year old universe affect you, Sup Forums?

How does the knowledge that we live in an unimaginable huge, 14 billion year old universe affect you, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo
youtube.com/watch?v=a2BuJJIVicY
youtube.com/watch?v=wVY1sAKSIzk
youtube.com/watch?v=ELD02QC025c
youtube.com/watch?v=WFCvkkDSfIU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event
youtube.com/watch?v=uf47DQj_2Gg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future
youtube.com/watch?v=480r0WsB2Xc
youtube.com/watch?v=pGeWBiLVn8g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>all those advanced civilizations out there
>not one of them can be bothered to come here and wipe out muslims for us

Feels bad?

there is no time.

who cares?

it's probably full of minorities

kek

If years are based on the amount of time it takes for Earth to orbit the Sun then that means years did not exist before the Earth entered orbit. Therefore you can't measure time before this period, which means the universe is as old as the Earth.

This desu

We need a dome to keep them out

Do not give a slightest fuck. If we could colonize it, cool, until then we have other shit to do

Youre fuckin stupid lmao

fucks me up, to be honest.

The west could wipe out 90% of them in an afternoon, if the right people wanted to.

Certainly renders everything we do or say completely meaningless. But still, makes me so happy.

youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo

Check this

Too bad light travels so slow in comparison to the size of the universe and we cant just teleport around and explore it.

youtube.com/watch?v=a2BuJJIVicY

"She's... out there. Setting up camp. Alone, in a strange galaxy. Maybe right now, she's settling in for the long nap. By the light of our new sun. In our new home."

The small stuff interests me more than the big stuff.

I love cell biology

I wonder if anyone will find us...

youtube.com/watch?v=wVY1sAKSIzk

>(((knowledge)))

>implying linear time exists

FAG

this

this is why we need to focus on space weaponry so that we can defend against ayylien terrorist blowing up bad memes

It doesn't affect me in the least.
What does affect me is that the universe is a big place. You realize this especially when being on the moon.

I have become mentally damaged by thinking that the universe could end at any moment in the blink of an eye.

I have some garbage with my balance that i sometimes get these twitches and for some reason they feel like i'm getting sucked in a direction. As if we're about to get sucked into a black hole. It fucks me up.

It affects me about as much as my pet gecko trying to comprehend the hundreds of miles of powerlines connecting her heatmat to the power sub stations, steam turbines and nuclear reactor splitting the nuclei of uranium-235 so she can feel comfy and warm.

At least we know enough to know that we know nothing and will never know what the universe holds.

6/10 bait

Sometimes it makes me feel very small and meaningless.

Other times it feels me with a strange sense of power and reason.

I accept that their are things beyond our ken and I hope that one day we will know the truth to everything.

It makes me realize that loving other people for being unique individuals is absolute horseshit, any life at all is a rather wonderous thing and most people have about as much wonder in them as a dried out slime mold. Fucking rocks carry a greater diversity of information than the average homo sapien.

pretty much just makes me want to browse epic memes harder.

I trust that the universe knows what it it's doing.

Made me happier desu than thinking life is meaningless.

>I trust that the universe knows what it it's doing.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

youtube.com/watch?v=ELD02QC025c

That's creativity. It manifests itself like that if it can't find an outlet.

idgaf

>This thread is now gaint titfuck thread

It instills the fear of God in the minds of men.

Even the New York liberals who've renounced him will find their ways justly corrected.

Big question mate.
I live in the countryside halfway up a mountain and the night sky is stunning as there's no light pollution.
My best friend is from London and I take her out to stargaze when she visits me. Walking the hills by just moonlight is wonderful. The landscape looks pale and almost blue in the light of the Moon. It is so bright on a clear sky.
I drive to the beach when we have clear sky with my wife and kids. We take sandwiches and often just sleep there in Summer. It's really comfy. Not in Winter as it's very cold.

Niiiice

i know this is /sci/ shit, but...

CHECK

THIS

SHIT

OUT

youtube.com/watch?v=WFCvkkDSfIU

>DUDE SPACE LMAO
found the redditor. you have to go back

>tfw reading about superpositions, the multiverse and other quantum spookiness

Maybe this will help you understand:

"Since it is possible that thou mayest depart from life this very moment, regulate every act and thought accordingly. But to go away from among men, if there are gods, is not a thing to be afraid of, for the gods will not involve thee in evil; but if indeed they do not exist, or if they have no concern about human affairs, what is it to me to live in a universe devoid of gods or devoid of Providence? But in truth they do exist, and they do care for human things, and they have put all the means in man's power to enable him not to fall into real evils. And as to the rest, if there was anything evil, they would have provided for this also, that it should be altogether in a man's power not to fall into it. Now that which does not make a man worse, how can it make a man's life worse? But neither through ignorance, nor having the knowledge, but not the power to guard against or correct these things, is it possible that the nature of the universe has overlooked them; nor is it possible that it has made so great a mistake, either through want of power or want of skill, that good and evil should happen indiscriminately to the good and the bad. But death certainly, and life, honour and dishonour, pain and pleasure, all these things equally happen to good men and bad, being things which make us neither better nor worse. Therefore they are neither good nor evil."

-Marcus Aurelius

scary as fuark

It should make you feel incredibly important. All of this vastness exists for the sole purpose of creating life, and WE are that life.

Pretty interesting but it doesn't bother me at all

It's five o'clock somewhere, bro.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event

Are you saying we're the only life in the whole universe?

like lloooollll that must mean god doesn't exist like the universe is god whooooahhh he even has a birfday... i just blew my own mind dude . so now that we know there is no god FOR SURE because adam and eve was just completely we should probably become communists

We are literally the AYY LMAOS

Possibly. I mean, there is a good chance we are. There's also a good chance we arent.

That being said, even if there is other life, it is clearly still a rare occurrence, so we are still extremely important.

If it's any consolation, there's literally zero evidence for the existence of a multiverse. It's entirely possible that there's just a random element to quantum physics, and that's that.

I just finished reading the Meditations. Aurelius' thoughts on gods or a cosmic nature are one thing I can't agree with him on, although I understand his sentiment.
That's unrelated to anything to do with good and evil though. It's just lack of a universal consciousness or natural order.

There is an incredibly small chance that we are the only sentient life in the universe.

There is a lot of intuitive evidence of the multiverse though. The amount of shit it explains and theories it ties in perfectly with can't be overlooked.

we're probably the most advanced civilization on earth or at best another civilization is on our level.

*in the universe

Source. People like the spout that all the time but there is no evidence for it whatsoever. Howcome there are no signs of life whatsoever in the observable universe? Howcome areas of the universe that have existed for millions of years longer than ours have no produced any super advanced civilizations that have found us by now?

pretty bad until we can get off this rock

Once you get to a certain level of conciousness, it's not that hard to understand. No drugs, just education.

Doesn't change much.
The fact that we've not seen evidence of aliens against all odds makes me think that extremely large distances give rise to quantum effects that prevent complex forms e.g. life from existing too far away; In other words, every civilisation in the universe might be the only civilisation in the universe.

That shit's all fake we're alone under God and a dome and 6000 year old screw ups

Aliens are demons

You're essentially using the "whence cometh evil" argument though and I don't believe that the divine can be disproved in that way as the concept of good and evil are human and subjective.

You can have a system of beliefs and morals without believing in a deity but what binds you to it?

who say what now?

youtube.com/watch?v=uf47DQj_2Gg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Define life.
Because this thing we are "living" is just a bunch of physical and chemical reactions of matter, not essentially different from the explosion of a star or an asteroid flying around, except more complex in structure.
But this apparent complexity doesnt imply its anything special. There could be infinite layers of complexity in how matter organizes and we just cant see those systems because we are not complex enough for them, because we are, actually, too simple for most of what exists in the universe.

Pure statistics, you are completely underestimating the size of the universe.

We are aware of a few potentially habitable planets with the right conditions for life as it is already. We just can't reach or explore them in anyway.

Theres also the fact that the universe is expanding at such a rate that unless aliens are already in our neighborhood, there will never be a way for them to physically reach us.

Unless of course they find a way to move through dimensions higher than the third, utilize wormholes, or something else along those lines, but all of that might as well be science fiction as far as we know.

I can tell you have no understanding of quantum mechanics.

I'm scared shitless because I know life here could end at any time.

Too bad we'll never live to see any of it.

Fucking feminists, jews, etc etc ruined it for all of us.

>My best friend is from London and I take her out to stargaze
>Best friend

You've given two opposing sources. was this intentional? The fermi paradox basically refutes the drake equation.

I think you are underestimating the extremely precise requirements for life. Out of all of those 'habitable' planets, which by the way we have only found an insanly small number out of all the planets we can observe, not one has actually been able to support life. Maybe, just maybe, they have produces micro organisms, but certainly they have not produced intellegent life.

I would agree that it is probably more likely than not that there is life out there, but I would maintain that it is highly unlikely that there is other intellegent life out there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

>you will never give the order to completely decimate an alien planet after first contact

I want to see hellfire rain from the heavens through a telescope.

"neighbourhood" can be millions of galaxies though.

The double slit experiment showed that quantum states did in fact mean that the range of possible states incorporated states that would not be possible in classical mechanics.
In other words Schrodinger's Cat wouldn't necessarily be dead or not dead; it could spontaneously dissolve too.

Since bosons would reach us at a far lower rate from extremely distant planets, the fuzziness of the states of distant planets could be quite significant; thus any life there could spontaneously dissolve too, and they would have the same happen to us.

I feel you I was pretty scared of that for a while but just think about it, it doesn't even matter if it does happen you wouldn't even realize or be aware of it. And if we do live on in some form, we won't feel the passage of time. I still kind of fear inmortality because i fear living forever and not ever finding out how or why we exist.

Given the age of the universe, this might not necessarily be true. The sun is 4.6 billion years old, but the universe is 14 billion. The outer reaches of the Milky Way (our yard) are almost 10 billion years old. We know of galaxies which are nearly 12 billion years old. That means that there should be millions of stars out there that are two or even three times as old as ours is. If any of them were capable of developing civilizations, they would be billions of years more advanced than ours. Yet we haven't seen any so far. And no one knows why. But whoever the fuck figures that one out gets a nobel prize for sure.

Belief in good and morals cannot be bound to belief in a deity if belief in the deity is bound to good and morals, and if it can, it can be bound by some other means.

Defining life is incredibly hard, and im no philosopher. But there are certain traits we can ascribe to a living being, such as consciousness, that we do not find in non-living objects. Thus we are able to make a distinction.

An intelligent living being is able to move on its own will. It is able to remember and store information, and construct plans for the future. It can work with other human beings to create structures and traverse great distances, and record information and learn about the universe around it. There is clearly a difference between beings that can do these things and inanimate objects.

In short, we dont actually know what 'life' is, but we know there is a clear distinction between the living and the non living. Just like we dont actually know where the force of gravity comes from or how it works, but we can clearly observe its effects and we know that it is different from the other major forces at work in the universe.

I bet muslims are the problem we have to solve before they think we are ready.
Just think about islam takes over and then some alien guys come around to evolve humans to the next levels and they see a planet where every town is at war over aische backed bread in the koran if ahe used 218g or 220g i mean you know what i mean...
And then when they come down ot goes allah akbar and they throw their spears at them and do their grunting similar to a language type stuff and try to behead them for not being middle age enough...
they will destroy their spaceship while they sit on it and hit it with sticks and stones and spears and scream allah akbar.
Then they behead them do a big ass fucking party and the other aliens throw our planet into the set

Not to mention were only still in the birth period of the universe. We still have a whole lot more galactic shitposting to do

All that fuzziness loses any macroscopic meaning due to decoherence. That is to say, interference of states of macroscopic objects is immeasurably small. Resolutions smaller than the Planck length

youtube.com/watch?v=480r0WsB2Xc

>4th dimensional humans go back in time to save us
>who saved the 4th dimensional beings when they were 3 dimensional If there werent 4th dimensional humans since they didnt exist yet
>wut

>Yet we haven't seen any so far
Dude, just 4 centuries ago we still thought the universe was geocentric. It hasnt been even 100 years since the moon landing and the first robot landing in the nearest planet was like yesterday.

We lierally just began.

>fuck off space niggers we're full

>spherecucks on my Sup Forums

How does it feel to be universally associated with ignorance, stupidity, and insanity?

Theres nothing wrong with believing in a spherical world

[spoiler]as long as its a hollow one[/spoiler]

This

>believing in the evolving jew

It makes it even more frustrating to see how retards are hellbent on destroying civilization and causing mankind to regress to the level of the average Muhammadan.

>Therefore you can't measure time before this period
This is why parodic arguments are not meant to be made by the stupid.

>be advanced alien
>find earth
>see a bunch of smart monkeys
>theyre running around stopping the progress of their race because of emotions
>360 and fly away

And the rate of decoherence depends on the rate at which the information of bosons from the object reach the observer, directly or indirectly.

This rate of decoherence would drop with distance.

Sure, but if life is a common occurrence in the galaxy then we should have seen evidence of it almost immediately. The fact that we didn't spot it right away means that either we're one of the first civilizations to develop (which seems unusual given the known age of the universe), or for some reason advanced life is very rare (or very self-destructive) in the universe.

youtube.com/watch?v=pGeWBiLVn8g

>yfw he is real

Don't really care leaf.

Be careful though you're getting close to breaking a hate speech law and you know those shariah court judges get antsy in the Summer.

Idk. Dinosaurs were around a lot longer than we have been and nothing as remotely intelligent as us came to be until after the world got a restart.

Could just be a bunch of dumb beasts out there.

Fermi paradox right? Even if somebody had lightspeed travel tech it would still take a fucking long time to get anywhere so by the time you arrived at your destination even the most basic of life will have had a long time to develop and your tech would still be at the same level (and your species might be long dead back home). So why jump and risk exposing your people or leaving them to die when you can just make due with a single system instead