Jurassic Park

Why did they need a mathematician?

chaotician
chaotician

I think Malcolm was a Neil deGrasse Tyson sort of guy, a popular scientist (mathematician) that would give credence to the viability of the park to the average person.

He was just another piece in Hammond's scheme to sell his brand.

To do the math.

they just wanted a jew

If I remember the book correctly, Malcolm was brought on board against Hammond's will by the legal professionals representing InGen's investors.

Chaos Theory was popular at the time, as said, they probably wanted someone to credit the viability of the project. Plus, it gave Michael Crichton a chance to write about chaos theory in his book and look smart.

a fuckin rockstar more like

to calculate how fast they needed to go

They wanted some pop-science celebrity endorsing it.

300k starting

It's a prequel meant to trigger his decent into madness for The Fly.

top lel

They didn't need him, he just found a way

pretty much this

all of Crichton's books are basically vehicles for Crichton to talk about modern technological/scientific concepts and why we should be wary of them

The character of Ian Malcolm and his theories were meant to convey that you cannot control complex systems, you can only try to manage them. Crichton was warning against the whimsical use of powerful technologies that can create reproducing, chaotic systems (like life). It's a theme he wrote about at length in Prey, Next and State of Fear as well.

from the book (paraphrased)
Sattler: But you predicted that this would happen.
Malcolm: No, I CALCULATED it.

top hehehehe arrwwwrrr eheheheHEH HAHAah haha

>Chaos Theory was popular at the time

Scientific theories go in and out of style?

it felt like people just couldn't fucking stop referencing schrodinger's cat in like 2009-2010

>le god particle

In popular culture, yes

Huh, I felt the same way.

They needed to find a way.

Well, yeah... or at least the publicity they get (both mainstream and in their specific fields).
And I guess it would be more appropriate to say 'subjects' rather than 'theories'.

>Scientific theories go in and out of style?

Yeah. I forgot his name but there was a German guy who pointed this out, that science goes in waves of style.

Once you start seeing things in waves of style you'll realize how prominently style figures into things.

It's why I don't take political ideologies seriously in themselves. They're basically just posturing and larping. Striking a righteous or sexy or noble pose. If there are any individual matters you care about in a certain moment it's best to divorce yourself from movements except as a utilitarian means-to-an-end that's ultimately itself just a meme / style.

Prey was based as fuck.

lol holy fuck

more like, why did this guy have a black daughter in episode 2. That was so awkward and unnecessary

I brought a scientist you brought a rockstar

Little kid me was like wtf?

Imagine kids today's confusion as they are bombarded with racemixing and mixed race actors in everything they watch.

jews fucking with our brains on purpose, making us self conscious about race and colour at early age although kids are blind to this stuff

Crichton was envious because he couldn't compete with the engineering students at MIT. Really makes you think.

fpbp

kek'd hard at that one

This post is copy pasta right?

I swear I've seen this exact fucking post in these exact fucking threads more than once.

It's just a logical assumption. Why would it merit a copypasta? It wouldn't.

he knew the pipe layout

also how did he know the pipe layout

Young me just figured she was adopted.

The schematics map was right in front of him, dingus.
Wait. She wasn't?

>I bring the scientist
>And you bring a rock star
Malcolm was famous for writing "Chaos theory for dummies."
The same way hawking was famous for "astrophysics for dummies," and Michiu Bukakke is for writing "string theory for dummies."

Malcom was established as a cock hound in the first movie. He also said he had 3 kids, and I'm willing to bet they were all from different mothers. He has probably tasted every flavor under the sun.

However, she was probably the daughter of a black woman he dated from a different father that basically knew him as her father. She was too dark to be mixed.

This post unironically made me think

yes

this started with the Enlightenment for rich people and later on for the average person

Is the repetition supposed to be part of the meme? Havent seen it in long enough to remember

Lmao now that you say it thats actually fucking true

Sort of like how laymen cared about gravitational waves for all of 3 days

No he does that in the movie. Someone calls him a mathematician and he corrects them with "chaotician, chaotician."

Yeah, early 2000s global warming was big, now we're into gender identity

Higgs Boson was another one a few years back. What's the popular one right now?

Why did they need Palaeontologists?

The dinosaurs were engineered hybrids. Even Henry Wu admitted they would be inaccurate to their original forms

It's like asking an archaeologist to advocate for your cloned Spartan army dressed up in medieval knight armour

Once they got over the initial shock the nitpicking would start

>What's the popular one right now?
Gender spectrum.

...because Dr Grant was a dinosaur expert. If a dinosaur expert endorses your dinosaur park, it's good press.

Hammond didn't want any experts brought to the island at all. His investors forced it on him because they were panicking, and so they probably didn't think things through very well.

I blame the bazinga show.
Mid-2000s was muh nanotechnology. Early 2010s was muh big data (still ongoing but it's already losing steam).

top kek I remember now.

you tew eh.... you tew digup dinasars?

Pentaquark.

>Scientific theories go in and out of style?

Absolutely, look at how common the word "Higgs Boson" got among non-scientists for a short period.

>Even Henry Wu admitted they would be inaccurate to their original forms

He only said this in World because the feathers didn't become concrete until a fossil discovered made after Jurassic Park was filmed.

He says it in the original book iirc

No, he said it because the average movie going audience is too stupid to realize this without having it spoonfed to them. The fact that the dinosaurs wouldn't be accurate to their original forms should have been obvious the moment they said they used frog dna to fill in sequence gaps, and even that was spoonfeeding. They literally say out loud that they mixed frog dna with the dino dna and Grant spells it out even further when he talks about the dinos changing sex on account of the frog dna.

When hammond shows up at grant's dig site he's uncovering a fossil with evidence of feathers, if I remember correctly. Its been 20 fucking years sinceI read it.

>it's common knowledge that frogs can switch genders anyone who doesn't know that is a spoonfed baby

What's the difference between controlling and managing? It sounds like bullshit to create manual QC jobs and protect workers unions.

This part always got me. Hammond hired, presumably, world leading geneticists and successfully had them build as close to a living breathing dinosaur as possible.

Somehow during this process they used DNA that can have them spontaneously grow dicks and fuck the shit out of other dinosaurs.

Not only did they fuck up the genetics, but then somehow didn't realize that their population was growing despite being closely monitored and tracked.

That's not what I said at all, faggot. By explaining that frogs can change sex and that this trait was picked up by the dinos, he is further explaining that mixing the dna would change the dinosaurs into something different than what they were originally. Get the fuck off this board if you can't read.

>Crichton was envious because he couldn't compete with the engineering students at MIT.

But he was a medical doctor who graduated from Harvard

Mathfag here. Sup Forums is too retarded to be worth explaining it.

The theme of the book and movie is that you can't trust technology, and it's very bluntly put.

>Park relies too much on technology to automate, one fat fuck destroys the whole thing with a few lines of code

>In the book they don't notice population trends because they built the software to only look for the number of animals they were expecting

>The geneticists didn't really know what they were doing and used a bunch of shortcuts to make something that looked impressive, but was genetically trash

The whole moral of the story is that you can't control shit and the more you try the more you're going to fuck up.

>Not only did they fuck up the genetics, but then somehow didn't realize that their population was growing despite being closely monitored and tracked.

There's a whole section in the book about this.
Basically, because the scientists thought that it was impossible for the dinosaurs to breed, and because computer processing time was finite and needed for many other functions, Nedry programmed the dino counting feature to only check if the expected number of dinosaurs was found. It would alert them if dinosaurs were missing (ie dead or eaten or escaped) but it didn't check for additional dinos.
Ian Malcolm asks them to run the dino counting program with a higher than expected number and this is how they prove that the dinosaurs are breeding because they find far more than the expected number.

Malcolm was there to tell them statistically speaking, just how fucked they were.

Honestly if they read the book it spoonfeeds it in popsci terms that any retard can understand.

>thinks the moral is that you can't trust technology
>gives three examples of humans fucking up

Kek, must suck that you're forced to share a board with science retards.

>The whole moral of the story is that you can't control shit and the more you try the more you're going to fuck up.

Literally said this at the end of my post. All the technology created was by humans who thought they were too smart to fuck up.

thats the point you moron