Why was DC in the 2000s so good?

why was DC in the 2000s so good?
Just reread sinestro corps war and the sense of scale in this book makes it both massive and contained within the lantern side of things

I think it's debatable to claim that as a whole. Identity Crisis marred a lot, it's just that there was enough good stuff that allows you to ignore the bad.

The impact of Johns in the driver's seat for so many major franchises during his prime is probably under-appreciated (at least until now since he's basically running the whole main line).

I started reading SCWars after the animated series and I was confused as fuck. There were a ton of unappealing trash characters like Kyle R and robot superman that just took me out of the story.

Johns' writing in general has the problem that if you're not already previously invested in the characters, you get little out of it.

I'm not sure about that. I jumped into comics thanks to Green Lantern Rebirth being posted on Sup Forums years ago. I had very little understanding of what was going on, but damn it was fun.

And Sinestro Corps War is, for me, the best comic book event ever published.

>this

>Kyle and Hank Henshaw
>trash characters

I have a different opinion than you user

I would disagree a lot with this. If anything Johns is really good at getting you hype for characters you don't know shit about and making you feel like you know them anyway.

Johns actually managed to make Henshaw interesting in that.

>your face when this page came up

We were all shitting complete houses, we had no fucking doubt we were absolutely fucking fucked and there was no going back.

Thank god they weren't really a *team* and the anti-monitor wasn't multiverse-powered.

The best part was that Sinestro was right, and he sure as shit won the war in the long-term. The Green Lantern Corps got fucked up into oblivion, the Blackest Night was unleashed, and the Guardians lost their goddamn minds before being completely slaughtered.

This book hook me with DC after long time.
Despite not knowing all the characters, every page was appealing.

I jumped into DC with Blackest Night and the tie-ins as my second story, liked it even better after reading the rest of the run

>you will never see this page for the first time again

If I ever get amnesia, reading this is the first thing I want to do.

See this is the problem with Johns' writing. Instead of writing better stories than everyone else, he just writes *bigger* stories than everyone else.

Are you trying to imply that SCW was somehow not both bigger AND better?

It wasn't all great. For every Sinestro Corps War and 52, there was utter shit like Countdown and Gay for Justice.

remember the end of this where Blackest night got teased? shit was so hype.

>blackest night arrives
>its shit

welp

Also his plan was that either he'd win, or he'd lose but the GLs would be more effective, so he'd get what he wanted no matter what. They never did reinstate the no kill rule

The "road to blackest night" was great though

Science has proven that bigger is in fact better.

Johns's current problem is that he couldn't make his stories much bigger after Blackest Night.