"Phoebe Cheats"

Oh, my god, this episode is fucking amazing. Just putting some spotlight on a character who isn't Arnold or Helga is pretty good, but this one takes this character way beyond the stereotype she otherwise embodies and gives her a believable dark side that isn't resolved away in 11 minutes.

Feel free to gush about the best parts of Hey Arnold ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IeM4lWhr39M
youtube.com/watch?v=HS9RDJJxdfU
youtube.com/watch?v=hLIiRRvFWxc
youtube.com/watch?v=7gkTcfZ1ww4
youtube.com/watch?v=CCOOwY5z3z8
youtube.com/watch?v=-Ufv-SWoxWk
youtube.com/watch?v=7vz2Gm6KcZk
youtube.com/watch?v=UCSMqKLzrX8
youtube.com/watch?v=8ofxMLaHneE
youtube.com/watch?v=BdjgLFcpFw4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think Ruth and Arnold shouldve ended up together but the creators had to suddenly make her the ditzy type so Arnold wouldn't go after her anymore.

CHEATER!

I'm pretty she wasn't ditzy, she was just older than Arnold so of course it wouldn't have worked out at their age.

Despite Arnold's memory of her giving up her seat for some old lady on the bus or something, she was shallow. They had nothing in common and I think she flirted with the waiter over breadsticks.

"The boy with the cornflower hair"

Also, Phoebe was always my favorite character. The kid who's always on the sidelines, accepting of her place in the world, but still wanting more.

In every episode except the valentine's day she showed some level of mystique or interest in arnold. I just feel like it was a copout to have her be shallow just so they can get rid of her character

Does anyone actually like Lila?

Ever so much

bizzaro lila did things to me as a kid

>that off-tune ice cream truck melody that played
i love how mental the jolly olly man was. 1st season was the best by far

they stopped the pairing because it was forbidden /ss/ love

I wasn't used to watching such a physical approach to flirting in a cartoon.

>Does anyone actually like Lila?
She's cute, I like how polite she was but I always had a bad impression of her, like something wasn't okay with her, it kinda seemed like a facade.

>that moment she wrapped her leg around his and touched his thighs in the theater

I like the later seasons better. The artstyle got much better.

But season 1 has some good shit, like the christmas episode. Man, to think a Nickelodeon show once showed the vietnam war and its effects on common folk. I dont think any kids show was so down to earth and realistic as HA.

Or was it just Arnold's child crush romantizing her actions of just being nice to the cute 3rd grader.

Lila was molested by her own dad; she has mental issues like crazy. Do not touch.

Me and my friend started calling it shattered glass Arnold...heh.

>And now for what we all came for.

But molested girls will do butt stuff...

And now, we will never again get to see shows like this again sadly.

Recently rewatched a big chunk of the series. The music is even more powerful than I remember

youtube.com/watch?v=IeM4lWhr39M
youtube.com/watch?v=HS9RDJJxdfU
youtube.com/watch?v=hLIiRRvFWxc
youtube.com/watch?v=7gkTcfZ1ww4
youtube.com/watch?v=CCOOwY5z3z8

the character of ruth is about idolising a girl from afar when you really no nothing about. Constantly putting her a pedestal.

Then when you actually get to know her you find out that you have nothing in common with her and anything you though what special about her was all in your head.

Have you not done this before?

yeah this. also nice trips

Proof, my dear boy?

I think it wouldve been better if she rejected him outright instead of him just leaving and not coming back.

if you're in the mood for more hey arnold jazz, check out brecker brothers, or any early 90s jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=-Ufv-SWoxWk
youtube.com/watch?v=7vz2Gm6KcZk
youtube.com/watch?v=UCSMqKLzrX8

nice man ever since i rewatched the series and heard the end credit music again i've been looking for stuff like this.

My favorite episode with Phoebe was when she won the contest to hang out with her favorite, shallow pop musician and he turned out to be the fakest fraud and she was distraught that he wasn't who she envisioned him to be. It really showed that she was a regular person capable of being wrong and not a stereotype.

I do, because I'm not a rabid shipper.

Who were everyone's favorite characters? Everyone loves Helga, but I was also a fan of Grandpa, Miriam, Big Bob, Harold, Principal Wartz. All of the characters with obvious personality flaws were the most interesting, I guess

>Boys and Girls in the same sex-ed class

I find this image unrealistic

I rewatched the Hey Arnold! Christmas special last year and cried like a little bitch desu. One of my favorite specials now.

I always liked Sid for some reason. Never could quite figure out why.

>sex ed class
>teacher is on the subject of benis
>whole class isn't giggling

immersion broken

Its only realistic for high school health class, but the sex ed I took in elementary and middle school was separated by gender.

Hes a combination of a bro and paranoia.

I was cool hearing George takei as her dad

DELETE THIS.

And post the full version.

Arnold was a really good model for kids.

cute

just a oneshot?

heh. i like it.

***ROLE MODEL ROLE MODEL

Fuck everything about this rape culture promoting garbage.

Yeah, that's why he karate'd the clothes off of a man who was just looking for the bus stop.

I wanna fuck Ruth

I was expecting Brainy to be peeking out of the backseat in the third panel

yes. she has very slutty feet.

episodes like that are always interesting. smart kids arent smart because theyre smart, but because theyre good at patterns. they get in the PATTERN of getting good grades.. and disrupting that pattern can be devastating. your goal isn't learning (you probably arent learning shit you didnt know already), it's maintaining the pattern.. so you almost cheat without thinking

in my day they were together by 7th grade or earlier, and we didn't GET them in highschool

In my day we had Sex Ed for 1 week, 1 time in 6th grade, separated by gender and we never had it again. After that Health Class was all about nutrition and physiology and shit.

are these from the same person who does a lot of hey arnold comics where arnold and helga are potheads?

damn this is gold

thanks user

youtube.com/watch?v=8ofxMLaHneE

If i had to pick a theme to represent my adolescence and my first taste of romance it'd be this

i'm sure that'll always be how i imagine my first taste of romance too. certainly nobody older than that seems to get it right or have any idea what love is.

Took sex aid specifically in 3rd and fourth, once in middle school for like a day or two and then it was mixed in with regular health class after that.

I watched Hey Arnold a lot as a kid and I really loved it. I didn't watch it much as a teen or early adult but at 26 I watched a couple of episodes and went back and watched everything again because of how great it was. It's very bittersweet.

I think the episode that best embodies the way Hey Arnold works is the episode where Grandpa Phil plays Robbie Fischer in Chinese Checkers, and by any standard TV show trope you'd expect lovable old Grandpa to win.

Nope, he was one step away from losing but managed to swing it to a draw. And everybody was super happy because Grandpa didn't lose. He didn't win, but he didn't lose - and that's a really important lesson to teach kids that kids shows almost never teach.

I'm sure a lot of people watching that episode wanted Grandpa to win, too, and were disappointed that he didn't, but then thought "Eh, at least he didn't lose".

Or like how in the Christmas special with mister Nguyen, how Arnold tried everything to help him and just couldn't do it. It took HELGA giving up her favorite shoes to make it work. So in the end, Helga, the person who made the right choice to sacrifice something to make somebody else happy and by every TV Trope should have been rewarded, wasn't given some last-minute super gift or anything. She did the right thing, and that made her lose her present. Very rare for a kids show to show a true sacrifice.

Everything about this show is amazing.

LENI?!

>Nguyen
Pretty sure it's Huynh.
I used to joke about the show's mispronunciation with a girl I took to SDCC once.

I think I actually appreciate the show more now than I did as a kid. It also aged a lot better than other kid-centered shows from that time, which I've gone back and watched as an adult and they still feel very... well, childish.

theyre both pronounced as a vague syllable
fucking southeast asians. what did france DO to you?

I'd make her girlhood tremble, if you know what I mean

this. i didnt appreciate it at all as a kid, it bored me. humor seemed corny and i couldnt get over how ugly it was and what stupid names everyone had.

I dont know anything about Korean names, I apologise.

and hyunh's vietnamese anyway right

I found myself watching the episode where Harold was a butcher the other day. Maybe it's just because I like meat. Never knew Elliott Gould was on the show.

No Hyuhn was from Korea, the whole Christmas episode thing was about him not being able to leave the country because of a war. They never explicitly call it Korea, but it was an obvious Korean war reference.

Or is the name Hyuhn Vietnamese and thats the joke?

He's Vietnamese, dude. Him giving his daughter to the soldiers in the helicopter is a specific reference to the Fall of Saigon.

i guess it's just that when you see a korean war reference in the 90s you just assume it's actually a vietnam war reference. everyone in comics was retconned because it was basically a sequel war, and it allowed everyone to be 20 years younger.
a korean war baby would have been too old. though.. hey arnold does exist in a weird timeless state

actually a vietnam war baby would have been too old too
that episode was great
>firstly, you stole. that's wrong. THOU SHALT NOT STEAL
>Secondly, you stole a ham. ham is not kosher! our people haven't eaten ham in 5000 years and we don't need to start now.

A Vietnam baby would've been about 30 at the time the show aired

Question.

HOW THE FUCK DOES SHE NOT GET FOUND OUT WHEN PLAGIARIZING EMILY FUCKING DICKINSON. She's literally one of the most famous poets of her generation. You'd probably stand a better chance at nicking Robert Frost

Oh my god I cant believe I got Vietnam and Korea mixed up. Of course it was Vietnam. Its 1.30am I need to go to bed.

Principal Wartz likely never read it and Mr. Simmons was only into a very different Dickinson.

The teachers aren't that well read. Come on it's a public school k-6.

hehehe
i mean, you're supposed to.
this
wait was it really k-6? damn.

>that 12 angry men episode

>Any episode that lets Curly be full insane.

Always a delight

>Mr. Simmons was only into a very different Dickinson.

10/10

Chocolate Boy had a hard life.

Curly was best boy

Still mad I never got to find out the true identity of Fuzzy Slippers. It haunts me to this day.

This made me laugh.

Stoop boy was afraid to leave his stoop.

Remember when Arnold went down the sewer and fought the Sewer King in chess to get back Phil's pocketwatch despite him having several of them?

So surreal, but so magical.

Remember how one of Arnold's neighbors was going to be a woman who had a crush on him? /ss/ indeed.

youtube.com/watch?v=BdjgLFcpFw4

>who had a crush on him?
no, she was an actual pedophile. craig has said this himself in an interview. she got cut out of the plot immediately, for obvious reasons.

meme magic

>Arnold X Helga

I know the creators of this show was aggressively pushing this as all fuck, but man I always hated it, even as a kid.

No, theyre different people.

I wonder how Craig would feel about this.

ugh

She was a useless addition and just annoying.

Curly Snaps was a god tier episode

Rather than her being an actual pedo, I heard that she was just going to flirt a lot with Arnold and she'd go too far and make him uncomfortable.

Hey guys, OP here. Confession time.

Ive actually been trying to make a nice HA thread for a while now, but those never really take off, for whatever reason. The OP for this thread is actually an exact copy of a thread from 2013, I wanted to see what are the conditions for a thread to take off, but now that it has kinda delivered, I want to get something off my chest.

You see, I rewatched HA for the first time since it aired a couple of months ago, and the show just completely resonated with me. That aspect of childhood that I dearly miss was represented on the screen in quite the realistic fashion, with a realistic setting but more importandely realistic characters. Hey rnold features some of the most human characters in a kids show ive ever seen, and particularly Helga hits very close to home.

Helga may have had a troubled childhood and a disfunctional family, but a lot of her unhappiness is completely her own fault. I feel that, throughtout my life, Ive commited the same mistakes Helga did. I missed a lot of opportunities because of my attittude, and I look back at those with regret. You can imagine what I felt when I decided to feed my nostalgia a little by rewatching a sho from my childhood, and then seeing basically myself and my mistakes.

The lack of proper closure for Hega and the series honestely breaks my heart, because I feel that I might be able to move on once I get it. I might be able to accept that my adult life can be as fulfilling as my childhood, but I need closure. I need to see how Helga ends up. The heavens may have answered my prayers with the confirmation of the Jungle movie, and right now theres really nothing I look foward to more than that.

I havent realy told anyone this, not even my therapist. Im embarassed to talk about how a kids cartoon had such a powerful effect on me, but I feel that I can get this off my chest. Of all people, I imagine Sup Forums would understand my passion, so thank you for hearing me out, and have a nice day.

>tfw Clarence feels like it has a little bit of Hey Arnold's style in there in terms of childhood slice of life

Anybody else watch Clarence for this reason too?