/who/ - Doctor Who General

Is this the definitive takedown of Moffat?
youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Do-wDPoC6GM?t=1066
youtube.com/watch?v=K_p37bHdCM4
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Q37XJG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If there had to be a female doctor, a younger joanna lumley or a similar actor would be exactly what I want
youtu.be/Do-wDPoC6GM?t=1066

THE THINGS I'M TIRED ABOUT MOFFAT WHO
PART 1 OF 3

For me, my opinion, is that I'm kind of tired of this Doctor Who.
New Who has seemed to have stripped out a lot of what I liked about Doctor Who as an original (not "following the TV pattern) type show.
I used to like that the Doctor was a non-sexual, non-romantic character (at least that part of his life was not up for public consumption). It made him different to most human male lead characters.
Now he's a sexual and romantic character, has been married, had crushes, fallen in love with his teenage companion, and is kissed by everyone, etc.
I used to like that he was this rather normal person, even for a Time Lord. He was special because he was him, because he was curious, interested, learned things for himself, and did things. He was, in many ways, a "normal person" (even if occasionally one with flair, like Pertwee) his only "superpower" was that he was smart and never gave up.
Now he's a legend, a demi-god, the Last of His Kind, the Time Lord Victorious, the one the Royal family knows, that the Vatican holds in esteem, that everyone and their dog must be in awe of. The one who shows up and his mere reputation can send the bad guys running.
Instead of the bumbling idiot who just showed up out of nowhere and sticks his nose in where it doesn't belong, and who everyone is trying to get rid of so they can solve their own problems.
Nowadays, he shows up, is recognized, and everyone immediately drops their problems in his lap because it's his "job" to fix everything for everyone. This idea of "it is defended" and even the Doctor thinking it's his job to fix everything.

THE THINGS I'M TIRED ABOUT MOFFAT WHO
PART 2 OF 3

I much preferred the Doctor when he didn't have a job. "Work for? I don't work for anybody, I'm just having fun." Even when he was at UNIT he spent half his time roaming around, defying the rules and doing his own thing.
I used to like the idea that he just randomly traveled and got into trouble because he was curious, that he was an inventor, and a "by the seat of your pant"ter.
Now the Tardis takes him "where he needs to go" (Quantum Leap did it first and better, it doesn't need repeated) and the Tardis invents his sonic screwdrivers for him, his psychic paper gives him automatic "authority" wherever he goes, and he thinks it's his "job" to solve stuff.
Ugh, it's just become stultifying and boring.
Science, even attempts at science, are often a "no-no" in the new series. (I've loved the few times they have used science or scientific types of resolutions or ideas, but too often it's a matter of "whatever the plot needs, no matter whether it makes sense or not" coupled with dumbed down "don't scare the horses" type gibberish that sounds like children talking.
I much preferred it when they did use techno-babble, at least it wasn't just "babble." Antiplastic, timey-wimey, humany-wumany, love saving the day, emotion as resolution endings because "everyone understands emotion" even if it makes no sense.
The show no longer feels smart, or even attempting to be smart. (The authors are obviously trying to be clever, and are very "in your face" about it in the scripts, frankly telling us how "clever" they are. But when it comes to the stories actually feeling clever, they more often than not fall on their face in the last ten minutes.)

PART 3
And to top it off, the stories are so short, and truncated, and underpopulated. I much prefer Doctor Who stories that are each movies within themselves. Dependent on no other episodes, and populated with their own full cast of side characters, their own world, time, problems, culture, and situation that needs resolved before moving onto the next.

Instead it feels like we get endless rounds of short, badly resolved stories strung together on series-long arcs that never pan out.

The Doctor's become a teenage heartthrob, or an angry old ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤, and the Companions are mostly the same cookie-cutter type of current day young thing that are expected to be the "girlfriend" who just wants him to "like" them. (I always used to like that Doctor Who was the one show where the female costar didn't have to be the "girlfriend" figure.)

And now, instead of the "man of peace" who "finds another way" the show keeps touting up and aggrandizing the idea that the Doctor is a mass killer.

And I used to like that Doctor Who was an optimistic show, with a main character that liked himself. Who lived the greatest life that he loved. Travel, adventure, friendship, and humor.

Now it's so often the Doctor angsting about how awful he is and how he's filled with guilt and self-loathing and how his past drags him down, and his grief, and basically making him a "tortured soul" instead of a man who loves his life.

In many ways, it often feels like the new series has systematically stripped out all the original things that I loved about Doctor Who.

And a small addition:

What's left is a teatime adventure show, somewhat bland, with most of the normal tropes you'd find elsewhere, it's main enthusiasm being teenage sentiment, bright colors and interesting visuals. (It's also become far more sexualized, not just in how the characters sex lives have to be included, and in all variations, but also in the way genders are represented, and the attitudes and jokes based on gender, sexuality, and personal appearance, which all feels very much of a let-down to me.)

I still watch, because I still hope (and this season has been closer to what I like, no romances, a more mature Doctor, and some actual travel and scifi).

But Doctor Who has become a more brightly colored, but blander, smaller, less populated, and more predictable universe.

Playing with the "story styles" is not the same as creating a wider universe. And under Moffat (with his love of retroactively changing the past) even much of what "used" to be known has now been changed. So the show is even, retroactively, been founded on shifting sand.

Yes, it has "experimental" episodes. But big, movie length scifi stories of adventure and optimism, intelligence and clean humor are rare.

Troughton is Hartnell approved.

Doctor poo

I'm that mysterious adventurer in time and space, known only as Doctor Who, and these are my disposibles - Exposition and Comic Relief

>I hate Moffat because he should've regenerated the Doctor into a woman
hbomberguy sucks, dude. He's a lefty twat who gets high from the smell of his own farts.

>he cherrypicked one of the few controversial points of his argument base (which is really just a thought and not a real accusement) and based his opinion on this one moment

user...

>he thinks Elementary is better than Sherlock
Sherlock might be fucking stupid, but Elementary is boring and offers nothing that any other detective show does.

>I hate hbomberguy because he wants a female Doctor
You suck, dude. You're a righty twat who gets high from the smell of your own farts.

Go wash that sand from your cunt.

>thinking I'm right-wing
I watched other hbomberguy videos, and he defeats his own arguments by acting smug and pompous in all of them. Takes a good point, and bashes it open with his own obnoxiousness. Like if Sandifer knew how to make videos.

I heard Oswin's the next companion.

Translation:
>He's right but the way he says things hurts my fee fees

But he's not right.

Why is she so perfect bros?

bah bah bah bah bah bah bah

>defending a tankie

Because she's a qt Dalek who makes souffles in her comfy brain room with unlimited milk.

I'd give her unlimited milk if u no what i mean hehehehehehHEEAHAHAHEHAHEHAHEHA

>- The doctor can now change computer screens by touch (and possible usage of his sonic sunglasses).

>possible usage
he was touching the sunnies and they were making the noise, of course it was the sonic sunglasses
you didn't actually watch that scene and think the doctor now had magical powers to influence technology with his mind and a touch did you?

This is now /jenna/ general

:3

I want to butter her pancakes.

a CUTE

Wasn't the video of the doctor's sonic sunglass vision though? Even if it was of shot for shot exactly what we saw in the episode (which makes no logical sense - how did virtual doctor get all those camera angles?), how did the doctor see it when he was still blind?

2013-2017 Doctor Who is for people with really low standarts of storytelling and character developement.
I said all.

>standarts
>developement
>I said all.
Well, that's definitely the intelligence of a Moffat hater in a nutshell.

Ok so I had a dumb idea randomly when browsing around. Instead of inserting more black people into Regency England and saying "yeah History doesn't say were there just shut up because history is wrong", why don't they just have a episodes set at a time and place somewhere in history where it would make sense for there to be lots of black people? Like, for example they could set it in one of those rich historical African kingdoms they're always talking about, there was an African king who caused an economic crash while on pilgrimage because he gave away so much gold, why did he keep giving out gold maybe it was to fight cybermen.

Hell they don't even have to stop at black people. They already did the Talons of Wing Chiang that one time, they could go have an episode in China during some interesting period like the Qin dynasty or something, maybe the Qin emperor was trying to become immortal with alien technology powered by mercury or whatever.

If I wanted to send RTD a letter in the mail, where would I address it to? I can't seem to find any info. Help me /who/

No

I agree with this, but the BBC has no budget to film in Africa or Asia, and their production values mean they would know shit about making a set that resembles an African Kingdom or a Chinese empire.

uh... good question.

More like 1966 - 2017

Jenna Colemans face is aesthetic as fuck

Why bother spending money when you can just say 'fuck you history we diversity now' and not only get away with it but mostly get praised

Cardiff.

>2ch meme
oh fuck go away

fluffy pancakes

No. Fuck you, nigger.

Fair point, I actually hadn't considered the budget. If filming in America for Series 6 was already a massive undertaking I can see other places being out of their reach, and building an elaborate non-reusable set for just one episode would be out too.

my own personal choice for 13, Shaun Micallef, has grown his hair out for a play and he looks like capaldi now wtf

You only watch the good episodes, there are a shitton of good episodes.

why does he never actually use his time travel to do anything but to arrive in whatever plot the writers cooked up for the week

Honestly I think the most "exotic" Earth location so far has been when Eight went to Singapore for like five minutes in an audio drama, and the guy they got to voice a "Singaporean" had never heard a Singaporean speak in his life and was speaking in some weird parody accent that sounded like how someone from the 19th century thinks a Chinaman talks.

Because the TARDIS is a bitch and purposely puts him in life-threatening situations all the time (this is canon).

so some retarded excuse to cover the writers from ever having to think? cool

take off your trip homo

>Be Moffat. Cast your manic pixie dream girl.
>Self insert a whiny old Scotsman
>Have them fall in love
>Quit the show when she leaves citing her exit

Who here ships Jeven?

Writers are playing it safe.

Has Nick Briggs written anything good since Dark Eyes?

Careful m8. That sounds an awful lot like faggot talk. You'll be watching anime next.

this is still /jenna/chad general billcucks

gotta have a blod test, /who/bros

>being this insecure in your masculinity
>not faggoty as fuck

That's what you get for sodomy.

does a billcuck even exist

>I love you
>Danny, I'll never say those words again. Not to anybody else, ever. Those words, from me, are yours now.

Sounds like the only cucks here are you guys

From what I heard, his Prisoner audios are good.

If (when) the Tories win next Thursday, could a combination of BBC budget axing and British cosying up to China to make up for the loss of EU trade make make Chinese-funded co-produced episodes set in China plausible?

gareth

>assuming I identify as male
I am so triggered right now

He does, but there's no story to show about it.

I strongly dislike the way Moffat had written and developed character of Clara.
I strongly dislike Moffat's obsession with story arcs which lead to nothing.
I strongly dislike the fact that Doctor is the center of series and universe at the same time.

Being smug is not an argument.

Jennacucks absolutely BTFO.

I love the guy but has he ever done any non-comedic work?
youtube.com/watch?v=K_p37bHdCM4

He'd never get the role as 13 bc he's too similar to capaldi tho

fuck i was just watching this video, it really is GOAT. Yeah it's not really a realistic idea, but I can just picture it. Couldn't tell you if he's ever done dramatic work, but I don't think Sylvester McCoy had either. so my pipe dream is still alive.

who /hospital/ here? i had an x-ray today

Do you think on \who\ we all love Danny?

they're pretty pleased that he ran over clara in the series 8 finale. she was so ugly

>\who\
I see what you did there. Alternate universe (me) is always evil/

what the fuck is happening

Cats, can you express, in like 150-200 words, why do you think Steven Moffat's showrunning (READ: SHOWRUNNING, don't include s1-s4 moffat episodes) was good?

Coming Soon from Amazon

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Q37XJG

Haven't been since I had a growth removed from my hand a few years back. Was kino

/dentist/ fandom, signing in. got some filings the other day and going to have a tooth pulled soon

I don't remember the Cybermen using guns

>tfw didn't order this when I had the chance.
i-is it still available from 3rd party outlets?

Doomsday, they teamed up with parallel Torchwood to fight the Daleks.

He's just memeing, no one actually likes Moffat.

What are you hyped for now?

After the DWM preview I can't wait for World Enough and Time - spooky cyberman hospital on a giant spaceship and body horror

Also Gatiss' ep looks pretty good