At what age did you grow out of superhero films?

At what age did you grow out of superhero films?
Do you agree with William Friedkin that capeshit is destroying the film industry?

I think I was about 15 when I realised that all superhero films are the same shit repackaged under new titles.

I have never liked them, they are the same repetitive drivel that is killing the film industry.
fuck capeshit

15 as well. Blatant consumerist garbage.

>William Friedkin

Who?

>At what age did you grow out of superhero films?
I haven't. I can appreciate films of any genre if they are made well.

>Do you agree with William Friedkin that capeshit is destroying the film industry?
No more than any other generic blockbuster genre.

>I haven't. I can appreciate films of any genre if they are made well.

Cape shit isn't made well.

>I can appreciate films of any genre if they are made well.
>No more than any other generic blockbuster genre.

Superheroes are inherently childish.

China is what is destroying the film industry. Also bloated budgets that are mostly wasted on ridiculous CGI special effects that no one is impressed by any longer.

>Sup Forums says capeshit is for manchild plebs
>all Sup Forums talks about 24/7 is capeshit, has company wars, and considers BVS to be one of the best films of the 21st century
Really makes you think

But I love watching CGI people flying around in costumes punching each other, really makes me want the goodies to win!!!

You don't think it's even a little bit narrow-minded to declare that any film based on a particular medium is automatically made poorly?

Not when it's something stupid like flying around in tights and getting their powers from a spider bite or something similarly simple and stupid.

Why is it always the celebrities who pander to manchildren like Fry or Pegg who decry this stuff? Is it remorse for what they have done?

yes
why are 0 (zero) of the movies coming out this year original (non comic book, non sequel, non adaptation) movies?
fuck i just want to see something new why is the world so stagnant

Friedkin made Guardian, he's not infallible. Don't let strangers think for you.

One of the greatest ways a writer or director can distinguish themselves is by taking a retarded concept and executing it well.
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is a prime example of this. Fucking whales, man. And yet it's arguably the best film in the franchise.

Similarly, 1978's Superman is masterfully created. Putting your fingers in your ears and declaring that Superman's tights render the entire film poorly-made is just silly.

Henry Rollins

I'd imagine the people arguing marvel vs dc and the people saying all superhero movies are shit are probably different people.

There are always original films coming out. That's not the problem. The problem is that original productions cannot afford to create settings anymore. Either you get something set in contemporary society, or something dialogue heavy with a handful of minimalist sets. Franchises can do extensive location shoots, build massive constructs, have tons of special effects and a unique artist-driven look. Want an original adventure movie? Fuck you, here's a character drama set in some low income neighborhood.

I was around 10 when Batman Forever came out, and I enjoyed it, then a year or 2 later Batman & Robin came out, and I just remember thinking 'why are these grown ass men dressed up in capes?' So, at 11 or 12.

Everything else sucks though. It's super heroes or reboots or black gay men movies.

I don't think I ever really liked 'em. I enjoyed Spiderman (1) as a kid (rewatched it many times cause it was one of the movies I actually had on VHS) and saw the Dark Knight and Watchmen when they came out but that's about it.

Early 20s, but they were pretty few and far between until I hit about that age.

Enjoy your ban.

Usually after the first time you have sex.
You go watch those movies with your friends after that because you feel like going to the cinema and watching something fun. That being said, none of your friends particularly cares for those movies.

yeah, all "original" movies are either single-environment horror films or shitty historical adaptations for this reason

memes

Not any more than army movies or westerns or pointless romances were destroying the older film industry. People have always wanted stories in one form or another and the good ones, barring societal collapses, tend to float to the top over time. This always makes the past seem like "the good old days" of culture but they had dreck and sellout shit too. It just never got reproduced or saved because it lacked enough relevance going forward.

From a broader historical perspective this is just the cultural junk we have to deal with today, just like everyone has had to deal with it since culture became a thing.

I was obsessed with Marvel movies when they first appeared. I watched Iron Man several times and I eagerly awaited and read all the news about the upcoming films. After Avengers I lost interest because I realized that they all end the same and that they are way too quippy. I mean every single one has the same CGI battle at the end with the beam up in the sky. Every single movie. If not that,it's a boring 50 minute repetitive battle scene.

fuck you asshole

That quote is right, don't go to the cinema to watch superhero films. Watch them at home.

War, western and romance all had worthwhile films within the genres that will stand the test of time as classics. Capeshit never will.

>what are crossboarders
mind you this place is filled with Sup Forumstards, Sup Forumstards and Sup Forumsermins, hence the shit threads

And yet very rarely will you see a good thread in Sup Forums

I wonder what that means...

>stephen fry
>that's for children!
>is fucking a child

Well, I remember seeing The Dark Knight and the first Iron Man and thinking that these were mediocre movies, 6/10 at best, and being surprised at seeing people rate these movies as 8s or even 9s online.

I grew out of them at 14 or so, but I still watch them, same as I still watch terrible horror movies. Logan was the first superhero movie I've seen in cinemas in the last 5+ years, which was worth it, but barely classifies as one.

Destroying the industry is a little hyperbolic, but they definately make original movies harder to get a foothold, when they have to compete with 20 different sequels spread through the year, with budgets large enough to fund small countries, with the viewer expectation that all films will match them in production value.

Friedkin made a movie with a gay anal fisting scene

/thread

Even as a little kid I thought superheroes and comic books were stupid.

Well well look how superior you all are. That must feel good huh? That's nice for you.

>using "silly" unironically
what are you, 50?
i agree though.

>homosexual pedophile
>DUDE CAPESHITS FOR KIDS XD

Capeshit is fucking fun, me and my friends had a blast watching GotG Vol 2 at the theater.
I'd rather watch capeshit than pretentious "art" wankery films like Raw or Moonlight or generic warshit movies

And yet, he's never been in one.

the hobbit might as well be counted as one.

Yes.

I'm glad there are still people capable of feeling it in the mainstream entertainment industry.

It's not hyperbolic, for the reasons you go on to summarize. American mainstream cinema is done as a creative force.

Not that user. Fry says some things I agree with, but in all things he is a constant hypocrite. There was an interview he did not too long ago where he absolutely tears modern PC culture and this modern notion that people take getting offended about any little personal slight and trying to silence dissent as some sort of honorable cause to shatters, but every single post he makes online is him getting incredibly offended about petty little personal slights and trying to silence dissent.

His little rant years ago on QI about Windows was probably the most ignorant thing I'd ever heard from him. It stunk of that obvious, obnoxious coffee-shop hipster mentality with no real substance.
I do admire him to a point; his documentaries on bipolar disorder were interesting and enlightening, and his work as a comedic actor and on QI was always entertaining.
I just can't take anyone on Twitter seriously. I don't want to know everyone's fleeting thoughts, especially if I respect them in any way.

Capeshit is what greek mythology was for greeks.
Also, you see a rotten world, but feel powerless to help and everyone that does seem to help, does so for selfish reasons. It's only natural to look for someone that is above human control and desires to do good. Attributes that seem only possible in some sort of super human.
The selfish and carelessness are thrown in to make it possible for you to identify and insert yourself into the character.

Do you know what's not for 15s.
Fucking them in the ass with your 70 y.o. cock.