So is the whole "Avatar sucks" thing just a meme that Disney and Warner Bros. execs are planting in pop culture...

So is the whole "Avatar sucks" thing just a meme that Disney and Warner Bros. execs are planting in pop culture, or do the same people who love shallow, CGI-heavy blockbusters really hate on Avatar despite it being far more impressive?
I would understand distaste for Avatar if Hollywood was dominated by totally original, fresh content all the time but it seems silly to hate Avatar in the current state of things.

I don't know. I hate capeshit and I dislike Avatar. I think these are all fundamentally bad movies. I will give Avatar this at least - it seems a bit more artistically inspired (although the execution is bad) - as opposed to just being a soulless money grab.

Since when do the normies hate Avatar?

Lots of YouTubers either trash it or apologize for liking it. It's also regularly called "racist" and "unoriginal."

ask reddit if they like Avatar, they always should meme answers like "it's basically Dances with Wolves in space!"

Its fern gulley for autistic furries

He's referring to morons on here and reddit who love capeshit and nustarwars but think avatar is beneath them despite avatar being a tiny bit more original design wise.
Like this guy said

Why would Disney shit on Avatar? They just invested a couple hundred million dollars in that Avatar section at Disney Land. They want Avatar to be a huge financial hit.

Avatar sucks because it tried to mask a boring and extremely derivative movie with great visuals. Yes the visuals were at times stunning and better done than most blockbusters but that doesn't make the movie itself any better. Other movies being shittier doesn't make Avatar better especially when you consider how hyped it was at release and still is.

*like this guy said

Turn your trip back on abatap.

The music composition and experience in imax 3d made this movie a 10/10. Nothing even comes close, its actually embarrassing.

It's boring, shallow and we've seen it before almost verbatim, which makes predictable.
I can easily look past generic as long as they do something fun with it, but there was nothing like that in Avatar except the visual, and I'm not a kid to think shiny=entertainment.
I genuinely can't stand the movie.

I dislike it because it's fucking Pocahontas in space basically. The visuals are fine, it's not about the cgi nor the action scenes nor the directing for me. It's about how fucking lame the story and script are.

I don't want to crash your Avatar hate thread but i loved it. Kind of remind me of Pocahontas and the indians in the US only this time the indians won.

Avatar is the ultimate pleb filter

The only bad thing about Avatar is that it made humanity look like the bad guys when, apparently, they needed the rocks to survive which they failed to mention in the fucking movie for whatever retarded reason.

>not rooting for the humans

This is about whether or not Avatar is good. I'm just curious how capeshit fans and DisneyWars fans can eat all that up but then act like Avatar is somehow shitty in comparison.

Disney has a billion dollar avatar park you complete fucking moron

OP here, I actually do love Avatar. But it's so popular to hate on it, especially by people who like even more generic Blockbusters.

The only reason it actually sucks is because no non-cuck human ever roots for an alien race

>not rooting for the qt ayys

Avatar is unironically my favorite sci fi film of all time and I'm more excited for the sequels than I ever was for Disney Wars.

to be fair several human characters were downright evil
if humanity needed the rocks to survive the corporate idiot in charge of everything was being extremely callous with it

could make for an adequate plot for a future avatar film though, humanity comes back but this time with more desperation and under a different sort of leader who genuinely cares about his species and wants nothing more than it's survival, no matter how high the cost

Just because it's an original property doesn't mean it's automatically good. I respect Cameron for showing up everyone who doubted him and his space smurf Indian movie but I still don't think it's a particularly amazing movie aside from the effects. Not shit or terrible but it's not great either, and I'd say it's for sure his weakest movie, except Piranha 2 if you want to count that. That said the fact that he wants to spend the rest of his life making sequels to this movie instead more new stuff does make me bitter towards it.

I really didn't get into the hype when Avatar come out. Sup Forums had none of it. At the time I was taking film studies in college, nobody cared. Nobody I used to work with in a supermarket cared. I have no idea who watched it.

I saw it a couple years later and didn't enjoy it at all. I found it really boring and hated everything about the design.

People like Superhero films because they're Superhero films. Most of them are absolute dreck, but the fans of them like the latest X-Men films as much as the first, whereas your average person doesn't.

Just because the two are big audiences doesn't make them the same.

You're trying too hard.

to be fair, it's Cameron, if someone can make an Avatar sequel into something truly great, it's him

>if humanity needed the rocks to survive the corporate idiot in charge of everything was being extremely callous with it
i don't even think they were necisarry for human survival, the rocks were just superconductors. i read this shit like 5 years ago here though so it may not be true.

Most hate on here is residual from abatap.

Because Avatar is the most successful movie of all time. If you hate the most successful movie, that means you must be smarter and more discerning than the pleb majority, despite parroting the most idiotic meme criticisms of it.
>Pocahontas in spaec hurrr

??????????????

>if humanity needed the rocks to survive

Where did you get this? They never said in the movie that humanity needs the stuff to survive. All we know is that the company wants it. Likely to make huge profits off it on Earth.

Is Jim waiting for VR glass theaters to release Avatar sequels? I bet he is.

It's ferngully dawg

>betray and genocide the only people who actually care about you so you can go back and live alone on a shitty, soulless, over-industrialized, over-commercialized, over-populated, over-polluted version of Earth
Or
>marry neytiri and become the chieftain of a race of 10 foot tall dragon riding warriors living in paradise

If you were Jake Sully and would have sided with the humans you're a cuck

Avatar didn't suck, but it was completely forgettable.

The movie was a proof of concept for the 3D camera cameron helped develop.

the machines they require to fix earth's biosphere require a room temperature superconductor to work

besides it's a fairly interesting story if the humans are fighting for their own survival as well, gives the option for a sympathetic villain

The irony is that the trope that avatar is based off of (civilized man fights against his nation of origin in their war against a primitive tribe because he started nailing some fine jungle ass) is one that hasn't been overdone yet. Only a few movies have followed this type story-line, they just all happen to be so memorable that it seems like there's way more of them.

My friends give me shit for rooting for the humans. When they ask me why I would root for them I tell them that I'm biased being human myself.
Also the humans should have nuked them from orbit or at least flew their bomber high enough so the dragons couldn't fly that high.

humanity doesn't need a nuke, all they need to do is have a few tons of steel on their space ship, then toss it out halfway before decelerating

when that hits the planet it's gonna do so with the force of a continent buster meteorite

>Where did you get this?
It was in the supplemental material they dropped with the movie. Earth was depleted of resources and choked with pollution. The unobtanium was the solution to the resource crunch.
Like user said before, thats some shit they should have put in the movie.

Damn.

Seeing the avatars up close and personal might be too much.
It's the best tech demo I've ever seen.
It's enjoyable but once you're reached 10 viewings it becomes boring- there's no lasting appeal.

It was a room-temperature superconductor

>then toss it out halfway before decelerating
You don't even need to go that far. Drop it from LEO (LPO?) over the world tree and play dumb. Not like the fucking tree cats would know any better. Then you move in and offer to help them rebuild and play the humanitarian angle.

This is true.
And I like that storyline.

it could have instantly made all characters a lot more 3 dimensional
I mean, if the Colonel was doing everything because he wanted humanity to survive, regardless of the cost instead of because he's an asshole, maybe amp up the "cares for his men" aspect a bit, you've got yourself a good villain right there

and if jake knows he's effectively dooming humanity to (self-inflicted) extinction by joining the natives, that's some additional depth to his character as well

Why even be that complicated, just whip up some virus that humans are already immune to and give it to them.
It worked with Cortez so why shouldn't it work now? Slaughtering Indians ain't rocket science.

Earth viruses don't work on things without DNA/RNA

>betraying your species to LARP as a furfaggot ayylmao
Gas yourself.

>I'M LE TRANS-NA'VI THIS IS MY REAL BODY

What about mustard gas? That's gotta hurt and besides they're already wearing gas masks.

What's impressive about Avatar?

>This is about whether or not Avatar is good.

To begin with it was and is a gimmick movie designed to be shown in 3D. At it's core it was build around this one gimmick. It was a risk and it worked commercially but not critically. It was a good gimmick well pulled of by Cameron. No debate about that.

That said, there isn't much anything interesting about it's script or themes. The movie is well executed but it doesn't bring anything new. It's not exciting, it's quite predictable, and it's really not subtle.

It's generic good guys vs bad guys wrapped in a pseudo environmental nature friendly sort of crap that doesn't elevate the sci fi genre at all. War is bad. Humans are bad. Natives are good. Nature is good. Lots of clichés are in play in it. It's boring because we've seen such stories thousands of time already. It left a lot of viewers disappointed once the 3D gimmick was digested.

He didn't even make the first one truly great though.

actually launching it halfway is the more economical weapon
that way you don't need to spend fuel decelerating the rod
Also it would give some neat drama in that Jake could be contacted by earth and told exactly what they did years in advance because there's no way to stop it from happening. Could even make an entire movie about him trying to convince all of the Na'Vi in an entire continent to evacuate because humanity is about to deploy a weapon so ridiculously beyond their abilities they can't even conceive of it

and besides, wouldn't you want to see Avatar level CGI effects applied to a god damn K-T level impact?

mustard gas is absorbed through the skin and if you're doing that you may as well deploy the relativistic kill device

Not an argument.

>implying Avatar isn't a shallow, CGI-heavy, pleb-tier flick
This bait made me respond, good job

Not all capeshit is the same and it's realy unfair to compare one movie to an entire genre

Jake dies at the end and is replaced by something that thinks it's Jake.

normies don't hate avatar, they literally do not give a flying fuck about it. I've never once heard anyone say "Yeah I just saw avatar again. Wow, that was great."

>I've never once heard anyone say "Yeah I just saw avatar again. Wow, that was great."

THIS
a billion times

>Calls Avatar bad
>Go to sees every other shit fuck disney trash movie

Normies are fucking disgraceful

??? I saw it three times in imax 3d with different groups of friends and each time it was great.

Disney now has Avatar themed attractions at their parks. It wouldn't be in their interests to shit talk the franchise now.

i saw it over 5 times, thinking of watching it again in VR

The entire reason Avatar made what it did was because of repeat viewings you massive retard.

man it looks like shit

>muh heritage