What did Deadpool do right that X-Men Apocalypse did wrong?

What did Deadpool do right that X-Men Apocalypse did wrong?

Why did Critics love Deadpool but hate X-Men Apocalypse?

Why is Miller so much better than Singer?

Did justice to the characters (and costumes).
Also, no JLaw

THIS. A thousand times this.

pandered to normies and quips

>no JLaw
I actually felt a bit cringey at the end when they had that scene forced in the end, just for the trailer
The movie felt too long to me and I honestly think the entire scene with Striker could be cut out.
>Striker comes in, kidnaps a hand full of people
>They rescue everyone and free weapon X
>Immediately forget entirely about Striker, and get back to right where they left off at before getting captured
scene added nothing to the story, other than adding a teaser.

also fuck this guy for throwing in Sentinels in the danger room at the end of the film, just like they did in the beginning of X-3, because they knew people wanted to see that shit.

Also try watching the scene where angel tries out his new wings and see how they were trying to keep the budget down. You see close ups of his body and head, hear the wing move off screen, then cut right to feathers implanted in the wall. Not hitting the wall, just cut right to them already in the wall to save on that effects budget.

>why did a 110 minute action-comedy with almost no required lore knowledge do better then a 2.5 hour long epic that has zero impact unless you're a fan of the comics and filled with bizarre tangents and characters

A true mystery, OP. And I say this as someone who liked Apocalypse, that movie is a flaming mess that barely works. I just happen to like its messiness.

Deadpool did something new and was fun.

X-Men Apocalypse was just another meh Singer X-Men. Only with a more boring villain.

>The movie felt too long to me and I honestly think the entire scene with Striker could be cut out.
This part makes less and less sense the more I think about it.
Why Stryker immediately know who Quicksilver is and that he is at the mansion?
Why would he attack exactly at the moment Apokalypse got rid of all weapons and humans are most vunerable against mutants.
Did he know what just happen at the Xavier institute, because things would have be hundred times less convenient when not every single student was gathered outside and Xavier wasn't out cold.
People bitch about the Thor scene in AoU but this was at least short and partly influenced the creation of Vision.

Critics thought deadpool was MCU

It was made by people who give a fuck.

People such as myself love memes. Seriously though if Apocalypse was more fun i wouldve enjoyed it, but Civil War was the best Comic Book movie i've ever seen. Plus Deadpool was so funny

We don't even really know what his plan was. Round up a handful of mutants, hope there were absolutely no psychics that would detect their true intention.

I mean, this also implies he had it staged where they would pretend to be medics knowing the mansion would explode. At least Striker watched the 90's cartoon.

Miller and Reynolds actually care about Deadpool.

Singer only cares about Twinks.

>With Sophie Turner now we have two female lead actresses who can't act
>Another 10 years time skip and everyone still looks the same
>Love interest that everyone forgot about shows up again for 3 minutes of screen time with no consequence to the plot whatsoever
>Apocalypse only has weird badly explained motivations
>Big dumb end fight with 30 minutes of CGI shit
>"people liked that quicksilver scene in the last one, let's do the same shit again but on steroids and twice as long"
>Magneto becomes murderous maniac who wants to destroy the world ... but then he changes his mind ... and Xavier just shrugs and is bros with him again "cya until the next movie my bff :)"
>Jean Grey has the phoenix powers and can control them with no problems somehow
>Millions of people die because of that Magneto thing, but nobody cares afterwards and it has no impact at all
>Wolverine has metal bones again and did all of that weapon X shit, even though that was averted in the last movie with Mystique impersonating the evil government guy fishing him out of the river

This is why.

I still thought it was okayish

>"people liked that quicksilver scene in the last one, let's do the same shit again but on steroids and twice as long"
and it was the best part of the film

Deadpool is different. Very different. People like different things. GoG was different. Avengers was different(at the time). AoU wasn't.

Days of Future Past was a bit different from the other shitty X Men movies. Apocalypse didn't understand why DoFPS was well received and they tried to go all out and make their own "Avengers"

It actually had a good portrayal of an X-men character.

Yeah, seemed forced into the plot though. It has a completely different mood than the stuff that comes beforehand and afterwards. If you look at it as a singular action sequence, then it's great.

Deadpool felt like a Deadpool movie.

Singer's X-Men feel like Heroes adapted to a movie.

>Heroes

>ever having fight scenes

Good joke user, tell me another.

It was terrible
>make it a point that QS has to hold necks to avoid whiplash
>grabs people without holding their necks
>chucking people at a thousand miles per hour
>nobody harmed or injured
>shitty cgi

>liked Apocalypse
Why are all these beloved celebrities dying and yet vash still breathes the same air as me? It just isn't right.

because lel deadpool is epic xD that kind of bullshit

>Deadpool did something new
What was new exactly? The forced romance plot? The sex jokes? The physical comedy?

>and was fun
Oh jesus.

Deadpool had a smaller focus and cast, thus giving a tighter story and characters as opposed to Apoc's grand scale and cast size

Apocalypse was Singer's most entertaining X-film.
Not the best, but most entertaining.

Deadpool, despite being a lower budget, actually felt like a high quality motion picture. Miller knows how to use his budget.

X-Men Apocalypse feels like it lost its funding during several parts. Singer does not know how to handle his budget.

Most critics on Rotten Tomatoes called it boring.

Apocalypse was just them throwing a ton of shit at the screen and hoping some of it stuck. I think it's telling they had that big "thanks for supporting our movie that supported ten billion jobs" thing in front of it, because that just reaffirms this is a made-by-committee clusterfuck.

To be fair I thought the good parts were really good and if someone had taken the time to trim this beast down and refocus the movie, it could have been actually good.

The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN! or Prof X and Moira's superman returns romance or Magneto and his dead wife.

Deadpool's humor is also actually funny. On the same level as the greatest comedies.

And it has some of the best action scenes. And tons of neat gore effects.

>I think it's telling they had that big "thanks for supporting our movie that supported ten billion jobs" thing in front of it, because that just reaffirms this is a made-by-committee clusterfuck.
I thought I was the only one who got that. That was awkward as fuck.

Save that shit for Blu-ray/DVD not the theater.

Shouldn't you be comparing DoFP to Apoc?

Was the shitty CGI scene you're talking about the scene of Quicksilver running from the trailer?

And yet none of those elements you described are new.

Origin movies are the best regardless of what Sup Forums thinks

You will see Deadpool deteriorating as more sequels are shat out

>Apocalypse was Singer's most entertaining X-film.
How is this not X2?

Deadpool is a new, fresh take on capes while X-Men is basically an overused whore.

>I thought I was the only one who got that. That was awkward as fuck.
I thought that too but then I heard people all over the internet complaining about it and now I realize they actually put that before the movie.

Like what the fuck? I've never even seen that before in a theater

Loved Colossus. He's so pure.

What about Deadpool is new and fresh?

>tfw Cerebro turns purple
Everything about that scene was GOAT

It's the first R-rated X-Men movie and comedy. Also the first X-Men spin-off not about Wolverine.

It was shit and looked stupid. Like something from a syfy channel movie.

Non-linear story telling, rated R and it's about a guy saving his lover and not the world.

Deadpool had like 7 people in it, meaning almost none of its budget went actor wages.
Apocalypse had 26 people in it, meaning all of its budget went to actors

>MCU's success is making people THIS mad

It didn't try to add characters just for the sake of having them be in the universe. Like Psylocke.

It played it as simple as possible and didn't try to overdo things.

Welcome to 4 years ago.

Barring regular standouts (Fassbender, McAvoy), the only thing that X-Men did right were the kids and Apocalypse. Problem was, the former took a backseat for more "muh Cherik" while the latter was as one-dimensional as every other version of him.

AND GOOD COSTUMES

Booo! Fuck off!

Deadpool cinematic universe when?

You don't know shit about the phoenix fagboy.

>not setting up proteus

Sup Forums is such a spectacular group of casuals

A capefilm that is well written is definitely something new.

New is overrated.

Angsty teen girl woman had a more accurate wolverine costume than we will ever see Logan wearing.

Singer is from a different era. He made Xmen during a time when Superhero films were like the Matrix. His movies are somewhat faithful but lack the colorful costumes. But Singer is gonna bring them back. Problem is that he cut amazing scenes out of the film. Kinberg needs to work more closely with Singer. They cut the mall scene which looks like Xmen Evolution and the 90s show. But the film is still good I heard. Singer needs to embrace the source material. He is starting to do it. Deadpool is 100% embracing it. The Xmen films just need to not cut scenes. The mutants need more focus. The studio pushed Jennifer Lawrence way too much in marketing. How was she in this Sup Forums? Psylocke is like Hawkeye in Avengers 1. I need to watch this. The Xmen Universe is getting closer to MCU quality. I am so glad this franchise is surviving after all these years. Fox does a great job. Marvel needs to write good comics though. Their feud is dying down. Feige loved Deadpool.

That scene was better out of context. We went from Apocalypse taking control of the nukes, Xavier being kidnapped, and Havok blowing up to IMMEDIATELY going to a cutesy rescue montage set to music. It was kind of a jarring mood change.

FUCK I FORGOT HOW SHIT HEROES WAS

god dammit, I wasted so much life on that garbage

Jokes
A bad movie has jokes then critics/audience feel less embarrassed about liking it

It's a bit dishonest but it does seem to work.
People are too hip to enjoy something non-ironically. You can't be too earnest with your action film...it pisses people off. Even the original 1978 Superman had some camp moments making it "okay to like"

Disney's Marvel flicks kind of over do this. But people seem to like it
>everyone has a gimmick now !
(Hahahaha...good thing he made a joke about how dumb the situation is or id have to dislike it)

Winter Solider seems to be fairly joke free and is well liked but I think it's a hard balancing act really.

hey, season 1 was great

Apocalypse had a very fair amount of jokes

Off the top of my head

-Anything involving QS, but "I still live in my mom's basement" sticks out
-Nightcrawler's "I'm Blue"
-Scott torching Charles' favorite tree, this got a good laugh from the audience
-"Hope we don't run into that guy again"
-Xavier dropping his spaghetti around Moira

One of the biggest laughs in my theatre was Nightcrawler's "on three"

Anyone can say this or that but I already know x-men movies as soon as this was announced it was there downfall.

Same goes for comics and movies all these super big bad evil events and you wonder why they suck it's because no time was given, think if the civil war movie why it was good is because small stories built that up you need to build up into these things instead of doing something so grand so early.

Xmen movies should just focus on smaller heroes or events than build into it or hell if that sounds too expensive a tv show or new cartoon series but for christ sakes to throw in a big event that does nothing like the last big events means little.

I think it really comes down to whether or not the person in creative control gives a fuck about the source material.

Ryan Reynolds cares a lot about Deadpool, so much so that he worked for years to get the film made. Kevin Feige cares a lot about Marvel comics (to the point where he reads all of the ones being released every week) and this passion for the source material shows up in the movies.

Singer doesn't really care about the X-Men, he cares about grand action scenes. Snyder doesn't really care about Batman and Superman, he cares about action scenes. Hell, Goyer has so much contempt for DC comics that he said everyone who liked the Martian Manhunter was a virgin. And frankly, at the end of the day you can't expect creative person whose only in it for the money to be able to compete with a creative person who actually cares about what they're making.

Winter Soldier had Cap dropping his spaghetti around BW at the mall.

What's wrong with fun?

Apocalypse had a shitload of jokes bit most of them got ruined by terrible delivery.

Same with Terminator: Genysys.

It's funny that Ryan seems like a normal guy in real life but his "passion project" was a movie for 12 year olds based on a horrible comic book.

>But Singer is gonna bring them back
He's leaving the franchise again, said he hopes to maybe keep being a producer and follow things a bit, but he's not directing anymore

The actors seemed completely and utterly un-invested, and the and the dialogue was either clumsy or generic. JLaw and Byrne especially seemed bored, especially since they're both usually great actors.

Also, they gave like no attention to the timeskip. Charles and Moira look like they're 36 even though they're like 50 and Peter still lives with his mom even though he's 27.

>His movies are somewhat faithful
Don't lie, user. It's not polite.
>but lack the colorful costumes.
Which is funny because you would think a gay man woud have good fashion sense.
>But Singer is gonna bring them back.
Rotten tomatoes disagrees. They preferred Captain America Civil War. And they preferred Deadpool to Crapocalypse.
>The Xmen Universe is getting closer to MCU quality
Pfffthahahahahahha!!! Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh harder, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>Fox does a great job.
They really don't, Foxshill.
>Marvel needs to write good comics though.
They do, Foxshill. Maybe if you (and Singer) actually read them the movies would make more than the MCU.

>but his "passion project" was a movie for 12 year olds based on a horrible comic book
this is how you spot a foxshill, they don't read comics.

Again? Seriously? I thought he was going to adapt the Dark Pheonix? Wasn't that the whole purpose of the movie? And he's leaving? Again.

In Poland, all Polish scenes have caused laugh, but mostly because it was so pathetic in terms of everything, from heavy american accents, to really bad acting.
>Henryk, proszę cie, nie rób tego!
Destroyed supposedly emotional scene of
>My name is not Henry, my name is Magneto
and caused laughter, destroying mood completely.

Stan Lee destroyed mood of nukes as well.

DP didn't have that pedo Singer running everything

Deadpool had the least amount of Pullverine out of any X-men movie, that was a start.

No Fagneato too.

or JLaw

>Wolverine has metal bones again and did all of that weapon X shit, even though that was averted in the last movie with Mystique impersonating the evil government guy fishing him out of the river
I actually saw people defending this and saying that this didn't necessarily mean Wolverine was saved from the Weapon X stuff.

So, you know. Really cripples the position of all the people defending this movie's flaws.

>The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN!

kek

J Law has only shitted up 2 X-men films so far.

Wolverine has cucked the other characters out of decent dialogue or screen time in all but first class. There's no comparison.

Also Magfag has been a psyhcotic terrorist in every single X-men film, which is all of them bar the solo Wolverine ones.

>you now remember they also wanted a solo Magneato film

Seriously, does Magneto have to be the villain in all these movies? He even cuckholds Apocalypse in his own movie. Magneto kills billions of people (more than the holocaust). Apocalypse doesn't do shit except get rid of the nukes.

THIS. JLaw was so meh in this
>not even blue for most of the movie
>forget everything you know
what happened after DoFP? Striker scene was just a teaser for the R-rated Wolverine movie BUT weapon X was one of the highlights of the movie.As soon as the quicksilver scene ends, its gets way too predictable.
>The romance in Deadpool was better written than the Cuckromance with Sniktbub and JEEEEEAAAAAN! or Prof X and Moira's superman returns romance or Magneto and his dead wife.
my fucking sides.

What could have been

>X-men 1 (vs Magneato)
>Wolverine vs (Omega red, Sabertooth etc)
>X-men 2 (Sentinels and Mastermold)
>X-men 3 (DOFP)
>X-men 4 (Apocalypse)

Does he really kill a billion people? Damn...

>Origin movies are the best regardless of what Sup Forums thinks
Captain america trilogy.
>Purple cerebro
>GOAT
This isnt Magnetto going UNLIMITED POWER.

>Captain america trilogy
And? The Captain America movies are awesome. First is a bit flawed but otherwise still enjoyable. Especially more so than X-Men Apocalypse.

I mean the whole Nuke scene in general

Here were my gripes with the film
>Jean actress seems lifeless
>Storm isnt really a character
>Jubilee is a glorified cameo
>Quicksilver rehash scene and never resolves father issues
>Wolverine scene could have been cut out
>Apocalypse has no presence or anything interesting in his character
>Mystique and J Law in general
>CGI was pretty bad, especially in the final act
>Beast's makeup
Am I being too harsh?

Because FOX wrote off Deadpool as a failure and never bothered to fuck with it, while X-Men was a tentpole that the major players phoned in. FOX didn't want to push the envelope and Singer didn't give a shit in the slightest. Hell, you had Jennifer Lawrence bragging about how she liked the film because she could be lazy and nobody would care.

You'd think they would have learned their lesson with Fan4stic.

What I mean is that in the case of the cap trilogy the later movies are better than the origin story (mostly because the hydra part is a fucking montage)
>Wolverine has cucked the other characters out of decent dialogue or screen time in all but first class.
>first class is my favorite
So thats why
Oh well yeah that scene was great.I love how even the Stan Lee cameo added to how serious the scene is.
>Apoc use nukes
>normally he would destroy earth with them
>he rather send them to space so no human can stop him and because he powerful enough to get shit done by himself showing off a cocky side of his personality.
>no one in the movie has to explain it
The only problem with this scene is that, in the end, he doesnt do shit.

They need to fucking get over this villain Magneto thing. It's been too many movies.

Breaking the 4th wall in a cape film.

I honestly thought the next plot point would be Magneto pulling the nukes from orbit after Havoc cut the connection. Instead we got....Magnegeddon????

>Oh well yeah that scene was great.I love how even the Stan Lee cameo added to how serious the scene is.
I find his cameo to ruin it, because it's Stan Lee cameo.

That being said, he was with his actual wife there.

They teased that DP is leading up to a team based franchise multiple times throughout the movie.

>Am I being too harsh?
Beast looks better than in First Class.
Still not on Last Stand level.

Damn right. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is going to top Kelsey Grammer Beast.

UNLIMITED POWER,son.
Magnetto learning that was great but the fact that he does Apocalypse dirty work show how useless Apoc is.Lets not even talk about how Apoc speak.Poor Issac.

>Muh costumes
Costumes are literally, completely irrelevant to the quality of a film.

The answer is because it was a MCU type movie in disguise. A mediocre comedy with a forgettable villain.