The Big Two think kids still read comics

>The Big Two think kids still read comics
>They think kids are allowed outside without constant adult supervision

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-bookscan-2015-analysis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Super Shotas singlehandedly revives comic books among young readers

I love how all the ads are still using the old logo

They still think MURDERVISION is Superman's primary selling point.

Kids do read comics, but primarily girls and only comics found at book fairs

>>They think kids are allowed outside without constant adult supervision?

Aren't they?

My LCS gets a decent number of kids since it's right by a middle school.
And adults are always trying to get their kids into the same books they like.

That's not an inspiring pic of Supes and it kinda ruins the whole point of the ad

I love comics.

>When I grow up I want to glower with red hot eyes at the fragile, helpless world I will utterly dominate but deny any influence over
>Just like Superman!

Kids love comic books... japanese comic books but still.

Not really. Manga sales are falling, US comics are outselling them now.
Kids love comics for Kids - Dork Diaries, Big Nate, etc.

MODS!!!
O
D
S
!
!
!

These don't look very heroic.
And didn't Clark just die?

When was the last time you saw children playing in the street?

>US comics are outselling them now.
Nice SOURCE you got there buddy.

Manga is selling better even amoung the female audiences western comics so desperatly want.

Edgy Clark died. Real Clark is back!

>kids are allowed outside without constant adult supervision
Chicago, DC, Los Angeles, New York don't really have school buses so kids take the regular public transit. You can see shit tons of kids between the ages of 10 and 17 by themselves or in groups. Really only kids (and the one pictures in the Superman ad is definitely at least 10) who are younger and can barely walk or have attention problems on their own and tend to wonder around (I see them in stores with their parents trying to grab their hands) etc., are the one you see with "constant adult supervision."

They be idjits.

He has the same hair as the guy who shot up TDKR

>Kids love comic books... japanese comic books but still.
my classmates love Damian ..many are angry with the Batman guys because damian is not in the books.they love the new superman .we call him super daddy because the beard..
We make jokes about Nazi cap but no one likes it.

>Tfw wasn't allowed out on my own until I was 12
>When I was 11 my mom made me carry a low range walkie talkie
She's lucky I became a cyborg instead of a robot.

Ann, you and i know that weebs don't buy, they just pirate the shit out of everything.

Like 10 minutes ago

unlike Sup Forums, right?

>They think kids are allowed outside without constant adult supervision
but they are

the superman posters is so cool..I would steal it.
the batman posters I would paint because I'm mad at Batman,

>Allowed outside
You're implying they would want to go outside. There's no internet or video games out there.

That kid's a mass murdering terrorist and Superman's coming for him

Comics? On MY movie board?

comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-bookscan-2015-analysis

you have to be over 18 to post on Sup Forums

Kids just don't read Marvel and DC because it's properties meant for seven year olds written for middle aged readers.

Alan Moore was right.

>2016
>not knowing about WIFI and Data

Is it just me, or were the posters and the comics in the kid's hands both added to the picture by computer? The lines are too clean, and the shadows don't match the lighting. Maybe it's because the pictures were staged to look fake, but I can't help but think the pictures and the art were made separate and then photoshoped together.

All the time? Then again, I don't live in the US.

Kids play outside in the street as well in the US.

>The Big Two think kids still read comics

They do, but not Big Two stuff. And they're not getting them from comics shops.

Last year, all-ages books totally dominated the book store segment of the graphic novel market with their all-ages friendly books. Here's a list of the top 20 best-selling graphic novels in bookstores and mass market outlets last year:

1. Dork Diaries 10 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
2. Dork Diaries 9 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
3. Drama by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
4. Smile by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
5. Sisters by Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
6. Kristy's Great Idea: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
7. Dork Diaries 1 by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)
8. Big Nate: Say Good-bye to Dork City by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
9. El Deafo by Cece Bell (Amulet Books/Abrams Books)
10. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland (DC Entertainment)
11. Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown (Scholastic)
12. The Truth About Stacey: Full Color Edition by Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier (Scholastic/Graphix)
13. Big Nate's Greatest Hits by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
14. The Walking Dead Compendium 3 by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Stefano Gaudiano (Image Comics)
15. Big Nate: Welcome to My World by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
16. The Walking Dead Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn (Image Comics)
17. Big Nate: The Crowd Goes Wild! by Lincoln Peirce (Andrews McNeel Publishing)
18. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster)
19. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Pantheon Books)
20. Dork Diaries 9: Barnes & Noble Edition by Rachel Renée Russell (Aladdin/Simon & Schuster)

And this isn't even counting library/school sales, where Scholastic has long dominated.

oh cool Persepolis still sells, kinda weird to see the Killing Joke and The Walking Dead for a list that's supposedly "All Ages"

It's not an "all-ages graphic novels sales" chart. It's an "all graphic novels sales" chart. Which is even more telling that, at least in bookstores, all-ages graphic novels vastly outsell graphic novels/trades for older readers

I paint because I'm mad at Batman,

Not in America...

Then it makes sense for him to buy Batman! Can't beat that marketing.

All this reminds me of Paul Pope's story about how he pitched an all-ages book to Dan Didio back in 2001 or thereabouts and Didio scoffed, saying that DC "makes comics for 45-year olds, not kids" or some stupid shit like that.

And then DC wonders why they're having a difficult time getting new/younger readers.

I recall Larry Hama saying years ago, I think this was back in 1998, in the aftermath of the comics industry implosion of 1996, that what hurt the mainstream comics industry the most was when it stopped making comics for kids and started catering almost exclusively towards adults (and a specific demographic of adults, for that matter). The industry basically cut off its feeder system for new readers.

So now you've got a situation where it's the traditional book publishers and children's lit publishers who are raising the next generation of comic book readers, not the so-called "Big Two."

Well, DC's got Future Quest now. That's something you can give to a kid or an adult alike.

who are you

>mangays
>selling

Is that why all the manga publishers went out of business or scaled back their releases?

It's not just a matter of content, though. It's also an issue of distribution. DC and Marvel can only print a limited number of copies of their TPBs/HCs/OGNs and most of those will be ordered and distributed via Diamond Comics Distributors' network of affiliated comics shops. The problem is that kids (or their parents) don't normally go to comics shops to buy "graphic novels," at least not in numbers comparable to those that go to bookstores and book fairs.

It's a complicated matter, this thing about how comics publishers have had difficulty breaking into the all-ages/young adult graphic novel market. It involves all sorts of moving parts, from content to distribution to marketing.

Didn't Archie end up outselling the Big Two by a huge margin purely because they had stuff on grocery store checkout racks?

Not sure how well Archie's doing now but I remember this being the case at one point

Very recently like yesterday

>uses /r9k/ terminology unironically
>not a robot

Posters definitely are. Comics look real but it seems the covers had a scan of its cover slapped on top to make it stand out more

Not the user you're replying to, but the stateside manga industry is experiencing a bit of a rebound (most print industry observers attribute this to synergy with anime on streaming services like Netflix and Crunchyroll). At least that's the message I'm getting from industry rags like Publishers Weekly and the like.

It's nowhere near where it was in the early 2000s, of course, but still, the stateside manga industry is in significantly better shape than it was five years ago and what makes observers optimistic is that this rebound is looking more like a long-term, industry-wide recovery (if they play their cards right and not try to expand too much) and not just a temporary surge based on a single title briefly inflating sales figures.

It's hard to tell with any certainty because books sold in grocery stores are returnable, so Archie Comics might have taken a huge hit from returned/unsold stock (with the mass market/newsstand distribution model, the publisher has to take back unsold stock). But at least in the 1980s and much of the 1990s, Archie seemed to be doing well with mass market/newsstand distribution.

Part of the reason why DC and Marvel eventually withdrew from the mass market was the returnability issue, even if some of their books sold real well in mass market/newsstand. For example, GI Joe did huge numbers for Marvel back in the 1980s, it was their top-selling title for a while and the bulk of its sales were via newsstand/mass market and subscription, not comics shops.

But DC and Marvel just didn't like the uncertainty that came with returnability. When the direct market exploded in the early 1990s (fueled by speculation), that was really all the incentive they needed to abandon the mass market/newsstands and sign exclusive distribution deals with "comics distributors" like Diamond. With the direct market, the Big Two have an assured revenue stream (because comics shops pay them for the comics, whether customers buy the comics or not... basically, with the direct market model, the comics shop assumes the bulk of the risk). But the Big Two assumed that the direct market would keep growing. As we all know, that's not how it worked out at all.

So now we're caught in this situation where comics publishers are stuck with the stagnant direct market (heck, in many places, its shrinking or disappeared completely). The bigger guys have bookstore distribution deals with traditional book publishers (Marvel is distributed in bookstores by Hachette, Dark Horse works with Random House, etc.) but again, the bulk of their stock is funneled through Diamond and the direct market, and that's really a less-than-ideal situation if you want to reach new readers.

>Kids liking Superman after Snyder raped him

It looks cool that what they are going for.

Hypercrisis.

>reebok shoes

MODS

>Kids liking Superman after the 80s

When was the last time you left your house?

Right now, right outside. Noisy little cunts can fuck off.