/who/ - Doctor Who General

Protect and Survive Edition

Last Regeneration:

Other urls found in this thread:

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-the-lie-of-the-land-advance-review-85101.htm
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_(Extremis)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Doctor Who? More like Doctor Poo.

Reminder that Moffat is going to trigger Tumblr like no one ever did, in a final act of irreverence.

>JORJ: “Who are you?”
>MISSY: “Well I’m that mysterious adventurer in time and space, known only as Doctor Who, and these are my disposables – Exposition and Comic Relief.”
>NARDOLE: “We’re not functions.”
>MISSY: “Darling, those were genders.”

Topics last thread:

Did Mansa Musa spread out gold to help defeat the Cybermen? BF, get on that: Whst other non-European plots and historical events could Who use?

Immigrant argues in defense of the "gender" joke: Protect and Survive was a great audio.

>BILL: "Did you just assume my gender?"

Hi Neo Cloister. Fuck off.

I liked this audio, except for the actual monster voices. Those took me right out of it. It's definitely a good example of "companions go through hell."

Also, never realized until looking at this image how much Hex looks like Jake Gylenhaal.

>/who/ is kill
I bet \who\ is really active right now

hahahahahahahahhahaah Looks Awful

\who\ have it good. Fuck /who/.

\who\ is our Promised Land.

\who\'s probably discussing who's a better Doctor, Richard E Grant's 9 or Richard Griffiths's 8

Holy shit that Mansa Musa celebrity historical feat. Cybermen sounds so fucking kino. I'll take 100 of those over Thin Ice.

doctor poo

Did you ever count? How many looms there were on Gallifrey that day.

I think we found our 13th Doctor!

Doctor Poo??

>tfw meeting Paul McGann Tomorrow.

Ask him if he fucked fangirls.

That doesn't sound like a scroll. That sounds like a flag! And if that sounds like a flag, if this is a flag, that means that you are a soldier, wounded in a forgotten war thousands of years ago.

But they've worked on you, haven't they, son? They've filled you full of kit. State of the art phase camouflage, personal teleporter.

And all that tech inside you, it just won't let you die, will it? It won't let the war end. It just won't let you stop until the war is over. We surrender!

Why is this thread so dead?

Everyone's excited about the World Enough For Time. But I'm really excited for the Lost Legion. Munro seems like she's really going to do something poetic, while examining moral ambiguity. I love when she mentioned her appreciation of the countryside.

Shhh. We have reach it. Golden Age oh /who/.

Has S10 been GOAT in the \who\niverse?

Nah, it was mostly meh pre-Extremis.

Peter Harness is Jamie Mathieson in the \who\niverse. Kill The Moon was GOAT as is Pyramid.

It depends, are people liking S10 in this universe?

In \who\niverse Gatiss wright only one episode and it was GOATest in nuwho and most beloved by fans. ;___;

Is our universe or their universe better?

Their, if Moffat never existed there.

I love it. So I guess \who\me is over there ranting about how fucking terrible it is

Was Doctor Who ever cancelled in the \who\niverse?

It was, but in 2005.

It was called Living Loud and it was about sentient solids infesting a maternity ward in far future South America

He also must HATE Doctor Who there and hate to write for it.

Anyone got DWM scans of the 4 page Mathieson interview? I struggle to see how they could fill 4 whole pages with stuff about Oxygen

im literally so excited for 2019 when it comes back!

>rewatching s3 finale last night
I forget but the ring that the red-nailed hand picked up which dropped off the Master's pyre... did anything ever come of that? It's been too long.

Master was revived with that ring and some voodoo mumbo jumbo in season 4

Yeah. The lady in Lucy Saxon's prison in The End of Time picked it up and used it along with 'the secret books/potions of Saxon' to revive him.

The master's cult used it to concoct a potion of conduct a seance or whatever the fuck happened to bring him back to life

IN THE SECRET BOOKS OF SAXON

Thanks fellas. Trying to rewatch the good episodes.

Well skip every episode with Simm's master

BTFO, Utopia is GOAT

>BTFO

Regardless of episode quality, is "The Doctor Falls" the lamest finale title yet?

>Wedding of the River Song
This.

So how do the Cybermen fit into World Enough and Time?

They have a hospital aboard the ship where they apparently convert, and the ship is full of those blue guys, so are Mondasians actually blue? Is that guy from Oxygen a fucking Mondasian?

Let's see what we have

>The Parting of the Ways
Suitably epic, and refers to the Doctor, Jack and Rose all going off in new directions.

>Doomsday
Generic, but fits the bill with the world-scale battle.

>Last of the Time Lords
Seems odd now Gallifrey is back, but neatly referred to the Doctor and the Master.

>Journey's End
Okay are all RTD's finale titles going to be generic "end of something" phrases?!? I guess it is the end for Donna and Wilf though. And the Doctor, from this point forwards, goes it alone with temporary companions.

>The End of Time
Because of one tiny line of dialogue relating to the Time Lord plan. Chosen to sound overly-epic, but ultimately naff.

>The Big Bang
Sounds bland, but fits the episode perfectly.

>The Wedding of River Song
Oh dear.

>The Name of the Doctor
WHAT. We all knew they wouldn't reveal it, but if you're heading towards the 50th you may as well go all-out.

>The Time of the Doctor
Lame, after other X of the Doctor titles.

>Death in Heaven
Great.

>Hell Bent
Mirrors Heaven Sent, but as a title it's a bit shit. It's like Listen - 'descriptors' do nothing for me. There could've been so many more cooler, intriguing titles.

>The Doctor Falls
Oh. Lame.

Cmon, I want it to be a thicc as shit lady.

/who/bros: What's your favourite Cyberman design?

I'd say either TenthPlanet or Nightmare. Probably Tenth because I can no longer see the Nightmare Cybermen as metal after Dark Water (when someone hugs one and it's arm bends in really fucking obviously)

I will admit though the Cybusmen terrified me as a wee lad

Or are there just a lot of blue guys around? Ye, probably that.

See also: dude in Series 1 and Dorium.

I love pic related/Tenth Planet and the design from The Moonbase/Tomb of the Cybermen.

The monk three parter is pretty good

Tenth Planet for sure.
The Nightmare ones are utter shit, but the RTD ones worked given their different backstory.

I think if the World Enough/Doctor Falls versions work then possibly the cybermen from now on will always have a cloth or bandaged face.

>Death in Heaven
>Hell Bent
>The Doctor Falls
Could have did a third play on heaven/hell or use purgatory or something, maybe limbo instead. I would have liked for all of 12s finals to follow that heaven/hell naming scheme.
Also, The Doctor Falls really feels like it should have been a Matt Smith final instead. Like you could have just called TNOTD The Doctor Falls instead and it would have fit with the whole trenzalore thing. Fall of the eleventh, etc, etc, etc.
Maybe The Doctor Falls somehow ties back to that as one big final Moffat thing to neatly wrap up his time like RTD did with the end of time.
Or, I'd like Moffat to just take the final name literally and have the doctor just fall and hit his head and regenerate, like when 10 mused about hoping he didn't just trip and bang his head on a rock

This episode looks lame. It seems like an oldwho fanwank episode. Is there any reason at all to look forward to it?

how's it good? Extremis has nothing to do with monks, it's rather safe-contained story, but it's core concepts are damaged by total misunderstanding of how computers work. pyramid is just illogical piece with no attempt of worldbuilding

>The Doctor Falls by Steven Moffat
>"Without hope, without witness, without reward"
>The Mondasian cybermen are on the rise...It's time for the Doctor's final battle.

Another final battle? Isn't this like the tenth final battle now?

I just personally don't tend to overanalyse logic in tv shows and have a big suspension of disbelieve. I found it easier to enjoy unless it's pants on head retarded like kill the moon

>capaldi's doctor comes full circle by having cybermen be the final villian of his first and last series
I don't think I like it

You can look at it a few different ones.
If you look at it as (insert doctor here)s final battle, I mean yeah I guess it's okay to call it that.
But if you use the broad term of just the general idea of the Doctor and his final battle then it gets just dull after a while.
You forgot Missy too
Missy being in his first episode and also his last as well

Yeah, new who just got renewed for, like, a bunch of series.

I dislike cybermen and daleks and all their episodes in nu who I've found boring and cheesy

>Missy being in his first episode and also his last as well
Well, Christmas is his last. We don't know if Gomez is in that.

Kek

So... What happened to Susan Foreman?

>Still no Simm

Sad.

kinda hot

Got a feeling ep11 is going to be Moffat's attempt at the cyberman origin story

>rubber gloves

What did they mean by this?

>Wilfred's goodbye to Tenth Doctor in the rain
Gosh

What would be your ideal way to have 12 regenerate?

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-the-lie-of-the-land-advance-review-85101.htm

>let’s just say the final resolution feels a bit too easy; a mawkish trope where science-fiction gives way to sentimentality. Something Doctor Who has used more than one time as a magic fix all.

>One major moment earlier in the episode also doesn’t quite work as well as it should, and seems more designed to create a shock trailer moment.

>the Monks never put up much resistance either. In fact they’re seen quite fleetingly.

> It all just ends with a bit of a whimper, rather than the bang that would have cemented them as a foe to remember.

So basically, the villains aren't even in it that much, nothing comes of the 'regeneration', and it has a cop out ending.

Chibnall, hurry up please.

So, Simm is going to have 2 minute scene cameo, isn't he? And he was pushed into the trailer and promotion because BBC bosses hoped to attract normies.

They gave him a beard, they wouldn't give him a new look unless he gets at least 8 minutes.

"You're getting 8 minutes and 1 second of screentime, but not a second more, Simmy-simms!"

Lie of the Land will be shit-tier
Empress will be surprisingly good but nothing amazing
Eaters of Light will be boring
World Enough and Time will be 10/10
Doctor Falls will be literal faecal matter

So, "Monk trilogy" seems to be a massive letdown. They aren't really connected, they are pretty weak as separate stories, 2/3 episodes we've got ZERO attempt to establish them as a real villains.
- they are almighty, but only when it's needed
- they look like corpses, but that's... just because
- they just appeared out of nowhere, and nobody gives a shit

Let's wait for lie of the land, but reviewers are reporting that it's not only the weakest of trilogy, but also one of the weakest of this series.

Don't forget the fact that 'Extremis' literally didn't need to happen at all

>tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_(Extremis)
>Bill thought his name was Harry

HARRY SAXON???

YOU CAN'T MEND PEOPLE

Trenzalore?

Why the fuck would the doctor allow rassilon to go free? Should have put him back in the tomb. Makes no sense to basically turn him into an omega tier villain either.

I love how they totally abandoned the idea of the valeyard

>Makes no sense to basically turn him into an omega tier villain either.
Why not? He and Omega built Gallifreyan culture, and each went mad in different ways.

It's bullshit because that entire season 23-24 part of the show is completely fucked if you watch it all in order. And this only makes it worse. At least we might get some cool big finish stuff out of it with capaldi or whoever else.

I like rassilon better as an offscreen legendary god. Omega was okay but rassilon was way more interesting before he was just some guy.

You really are grasping for reasons to be disappointed.

>They aren't really connected,
So the three episodes that Moffat said aren't really a 3-parter, they're just loosely connected, are just loosely connected. How is that a bad thing? Are only multi-part stories good? Does Dalek suck because it's not part of a 3-parter?

>we've got ZERO attempt to establish them as a real villains
Why? Because a real villain would have made the bomber explode instead of just plucking it out of the sky to prove they could? Or because you agree with their "We're actually the good guys here" thing (which makes someone an interesting villain, not not-a-villain)?

>- they are almighty, but only when it's needed
Why would they be almighty when it isn't needed? I have amazing powers of opening sealed cans that no cat or dog can understand, but I only use it when needed.

>- they look like corpses, but that's... just because
… just because we haven't yet seen the episode that we've been told will explain the Monks' origin and their plan.

> they just appeared out of nowhere, and nobody gives a shit
Nobody gives a shit? The US, USSR, and China sent armies to deal with them. How is that not giving a shit?

>reviewers are reporting that it's not only the weakest of trilogy, but also one of the weakest of this series
Which reviewers? Are you the guy who takes a 4-star review that says "It's good, but it could have been even better" and says "Well, the press thinks it's shit"?

It's one thing to avoid getting overly hyped and let down, so you can enjoy the episode more. But going out of your way to antihype yourself, and begging other people to validate that, there's no way you're going the episode that way. You're just being a dick to yourself.

Anything but how matt smith regenerated.

For the kind user(s?) last night, I completely forgot until about a half-hour ago.

Why was Moffat able to right such good episodes in the RTD era, yet now, running the show he's run it into the ground and his scripts have become inconsistent trash, save a few. Can someone explain the phenomenon?

Pyramid was pants on head retarded though

weird how the test screening episodes had a better atmosphere than the final product. Why were they so comfy?

in what way besides the poorly thought out biolab part?

Any really nice looking and very smart poster have a link to the reign of terror dvd rip?

I actually really liked them in black and white, especially Deep Breath and Listen.