When did this get more pseudo-intellectual hipster than xkcd?

When did this get more pseudo-intellectual hipster than xkcd?
I remember this used to have funny strips.
They are much less frequent.

pic not related?

It's probably just that the better strips are more memorable than the bad ones.

Considering Zach and Randal are friends, it's kinda natural their comics would come off kinda same-y sometimes. Heck, Zach's "funtime activity" strips and Randal's "my hobby" strips are basically the same thing.

As an applied scientist, pic you posted is hilarious.

The strips like this are not for everyone, but I like that this Weiner specifically sucks mine sometimes.

Do you consider all science jokes "pseudo-intellectual"?

theres a greentext about this on /sci/

he considers anything that doesn't cater specifically to his hobbies pseudo-intellectual

>more pseudo-intellectual hipster than xkcd?
Impossible.
Shut up.

It has pretty much always been this way.

Weiner works in phases.

Some periods he has more jokes about math, science and philosophy. Sometimes he has more cheap dick jokes and puns. Sometimes he has more jokes that are actually funny.

As in, right now?

I'm not even sure why that user went with xkcd as an example of that - when it comes to feigning knowledge of something, especially for status, xkcd is at the low end of the list.

>Women in the sciences
>Coloured women in the sciences

A disgusting perversion of reality.

>xkcd
>hipster
How so?

It always seemed more 'obnoxious nerd' than 'hipster' to me.
not that those labels ever meant anything concrete

The funniest thing about OP's comic is that the creator thinks women can be scientists and mathematicians.

What's on the high end of the list?

They are,though.

this. It's really hard to find good science jokes, and way harder to find ones that actually apply to your field. And as a physicist this one is my fav.

Gender and color are randomly generated.

Exactly, just like in real life

Okay, this shit is hilarious.

I know that's what your wife told you, but I think it's time we had an honest discussion about human inherited phenotypes, user.

He's done a comic a day for around 13-14 years now? I'm surprised that he is still pretty good at all.

That's true. That's is not your daughter. Girls come only from girl-on-girl action.

>Where did we go wrong?

HAHA US PHYSICISTS AMIRITE GUISE?

This one's a pretty decent variation on the old circular cows joke.

And so summer begins.

Haha you just got trolled, summerfag.
That's how things work on Sup Forums, kid. It's a doggie-dog world. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to posting, maybe a little wiser this time...
See you on the boards!

I find them funny.

Zack has cranked out a joke a day for a LONG time now, I cant blame him for shifting the subject matter. Sure, my favourites are from some years ago, but he's earned enough points that he can write what the fuck he wants, I got what I asked for MANY strips ago.

And SMBC:s science jokes aren't nearly as smug as XKCD:s.

Dobson

My dad teaches Economics, and he loved this one.

10/10 made my day

Can you guys explain it to a humanities man?
Is it like a physicist analogue to Noam Chompsky?

I would but I might get put down myself

I work with tons of female scientists
Because I am a biofag

I don't know if it reffers to anyone specifically, but yes, many science types are arrogant outside their own area.

right around the time he got married. I'm not saying marriage did it to him, but it was right around that time.

It's a general phenomenon. Noam Chomsky is a good example.

As far as I can tell, all these complaints about SMBC being pseudo-intellectual are a case of walking into a tie shop and complaining that they don't sell hats.
It's not for you.

Sure the comic is really hit and miss and I'm not defending its quality, but really, it's just not for you.

Oh I adore this one.

ok, thank you for the help, anons

That one is pretty good

>I only have brothers
>my dad is a man
checks out

As long as we're posting favorites, this one is mine.

"Pseudo-intellectual" is a buzzword that usually translates to "I don't understand the joke but I don't want to look stupid when I admit it".

Why not just a genre of jokes?
Like dick jokes or blonde jokes or your mom is a fatass jokes.

This is fucking gold.

The science and philosophy jokes are ok. They're definitely funnier than xkcd. But if all you want are cat jokes, here you go.

Saved. This is great.

>that extra panel

Its not quite the same because hes got plenty of funny comics that center on science and math jokes.

I generally agree though

Since when did philosophy amount to asking stupid post modern deconstructionist questions that all essentially assert that reality isn't real?

Second favorite when it comes to science. The 00's were such a stupid decade for biology.

Nah, even the science strips are funnier than XKCD.

Randall is so caught up in showing how smart he is (which he is) that he often forgets to be funny.

Since they ran out of things to talk about

Hasnt he made bonus panels for almost all his comics too?

And he even used to direct sketches. Busy guy

That reminds me of thoses blue brothers in Invincible always arguing about who's the original and who's the clone

isn't that a daily strip? running for years?

I just recently learned he went back and added those extra panels to all his old ones that didn't have it. Pretty interesting.

This

It's called "post-modernism" for a reason. If it wasn't stupid, we wouldn't call it post-modernism.

But with Dobson it's not feigned intellectualism, it's feigned common sense.
As in, he tries to feel superior by pretending he has any.

as an engineer this really gets me.

Those Philosophers are shitheads who want to stroke their egos. Good Philosophy looks at what deaths are morally permissible, if any, since it has application in hospitals, environmental conservation, Sapient AI and aliens, and cloning.

>pseudo-intellectual
guy holds multiple degrees in maths and sciences and his wife engineers life forms what more do you want?

he has a single degree in literature, and he went back to school for physics but never got a degree.

The nature of knowledge and certainty has been discussed since at least the 1800's and was integral to the current scientific theory.
People speculating on what can really be seen as real or true is why we try to prove a theory false and not try to prove a theory true, it's why we test things at all.

Always loved this one.

Pretty sweet duck.

>comic artist has a niche interest
>makes comics to appeal with that niche humor
God! Fucking pseudo-intellectual bullshit! Who you trying to impress, you prissy fuck?
Why can't you just appeal to the masses?

I though he was a(n admittedly intelligent and fairly well-informed) dropout and his wife an evolutionary ecologist

Philosophy is inherently open ended.

It's absurd to claim that only what can be reduced to a material, mechanistic understanding and understood through sensory perception is real. That concept is literally a wholesale rejection of philosophical thought to begin with

I feel stupid for not getting it immediately but this is perfect.

I think he just has an English degree. He probably studies this other type of stuff for fun.

Regardless, number and type of degrees doesn't really say much here.

Cucked

That kind of happens to every field doesn't it

So, linking angle to genotype, are two acutes brother and sister?

Only if the person has solely acquired very specialized knowledge and hasn't developed a well rounded and expansive frame of reference

It happens where ever there are intellectuals.

>it uses words I don't understand
>must be pseudo-intellectual

Why is academia so horseshit?

t. man without patience

The problem IMO, is that SMBC used to have a lot of non-math/science related strips that were hilarious, and now they are almost all giant strips that rely on math and science.

Look at Neil Degrasse Tyson for a current example of someone getting some recognition in his field and deciding that means he has shit to say about other fields.

Look at the recent blowback on philosophy from the latest crop of celebrity scientists for a good example of "people who cannot appreciate other fields."

I recognize that triangle.

generally not into the "FUCK YOU OTHER FIELDS REEE" stuff because that shitty attitude is a big part of the problem these days.

They're people with similar physical characteristics that couldn't produce a different phenotype, like brown hair and brown hair or blue eyes and blue eye-
you know what, they're both white.

Right so how we train modern scientists and academics because its more """efficient""".

Because it is filled with people who believe that specialized knowledge is worth more than practical knowledge, and that possessing specialized knowledge gives you the authority to speak AS an authority on subjects not related to that specialized knowledge. And because intellectuals rarely, if ever actually suffer repercussions when their ideas are put into practice and fail, their records are never tarnished and their ideas continue to be propagated and built upon by the next generation of intellectuals.

>cuz ur dum lel
>have a well rounded and expansive frame of reference
That can't be done unless you wanna basically know nothing about everything