Why can't this be the world standard plug?

Why can't this be the world standard plug?

inb4 schuko is superior even though it's basically just a clunkier version of pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>three
umm sweetie you're wrong
try two

>you no need ground jajajajajajajajaja

Because superior ones exist

Maybe it'd better to turn the plug into a standard that most people use already. It'd be kind of having English as the world language (lots of native speakers) instead of Esperanto.

this. great post my northern friend

How the fuck is that superior? It's probably the worst plug of them all. Even the massive British plug is better. The plugs are not insulated and the ungrounded plug has basically no support, which is awful when you're using stuff that plug directly into the outlet without a cable, most notably larger phone chargers.

OP pic is an ISO-standard, and also compatible with Europlug. The EU was gonna introduce it as the standard in Europe in the 90s or so but fucked up. Later Brazil and South Africa adopted it.

we don't need ground because our volts don't kill you

The US plug needs the grounding pin to fucking stay in.

we have 220 volts in all homes and we use those schuko ones, the ones with three legs like in the OP and the ones with two legs like I said
am I going to get ZAPP'd?

Two holes pls

Phone plugs have been standardized. Maybe it will be electrical plugs next

Can you take out this one pin and simultaneously the other two pins stay inside of the socket?

>compatible with Europlug
Your mother is compatible with the Europlug

it doesn't need it to stay in. the two prong one works fine

>Phone plugs have been standardised
Pardon?

>why cant half of the world change all their electronics and all sockets in every house?
Because reasons

Android plugs

rare

Finally a leaf is right about something

I have two different Android phones with two different USB standards. That aside, there are hundreds of millions of Apple smart phones out there, as well as Microsoft smart phones.

It's awful how a lot of new phones still use the brittle USB micro plug instead of switching to USB-C.

Windows phones use the android one though, I used to have one. Yes it was shit in every way, no need to ask. As for Europlugs as international standard, he'll yes let it be so, I'm sick of having to buy adapters every time I visit less developed countries

Electrical engineer here

Theres a reason why British Type G is hailed as a master piece. It's design allows for fusing (usually 3A or 13A depending on application) and it's triangular angled prongs allow for them to be compatible with shutters in the wall so that children dont put forks in and stuff.

When I was a child my father put plastic thingies into the sockets. Also, are fuses in the plugs really needed? I guess all newer houses here have circuit breakers that come after fuses that come after fuses. Isn't this enough?

Looks weak and feeble.

This one is strong and won't let you down. Also there are literally countries who don't have individual switches on their plug sockets lmao.

Ours look almost the same. (The middle pin is not exactly at the same position.) I've never seen a broken Swiss plug. I also stood on some and nothing happened to them or my foot.

Of course it's enough but it's literally just about convenience. If a problem happens that triggers the fuse in your coffee machine plug, you don't lose electricity in your entire kitchen or even entire house (depending on how your house is connected to the main distribution board)

Oh and to comment on the plastic thingies. In British house holds (and Jordanian because we use the British standards) you get by default shuttered plugs so any house you buy is already baby proof. And you can still use 2 pronged plugs, you just have to stick a pencil in the earth socket to have the shutters move down.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia it was a nightmare because they use the American system and it's so primative.

It looks like there's a ground in that pic, but what's with the other wire colors? Aren't black and red usually used for dc?

for me

our plugs were so elite that the Chinese adopted them too

I don't know what the South American standard is but that's not necessarily the case. In many countries earthing is done by making connections from the main cable armor to the earth pits plus they add an emergency system. Just hope that you had an honest contractor.

If you never get zapped when you touch the inside the inside of your microwave or washing machine while barefoot then you definitely have earthing.

Why do ours have the slanted upper prongs? (Aside from making them look more like Asians)

For orientation reasons. If they were vertical or horizontal some dumb cunt might plug in a 2 pronged plug that has no earth and the wrong voltage. This is also the the reason why American plugs are oriented vertically or horizontally depending on whether they operate on 110 or 220 V (the 220 plugs have one horizontal and one vertical while the 110 has both vertical)

>Also there are literally countries who don't have individual switches on their plug sockets lmao.
lel really?

most of them actually

>British has the worst plug
Wut, it is literally the entire opposite m8

crease you literally have to pull the plug out to turn it off without flipping the whole wall socket?
caveman tier

On a lot of older homes here they didn't bother with individual wall switches for each plug. Any house built from at least the 80s onwards has them, but our house is probably 2/3rds switches, and 1/3rd er...switchless.

the new harmonized cable coloring scheme dictates brown and blue for live and neutral. HOWEVER, most existing connections in Europe and the middle east are still in red and black (the old UK code for single phase connections).

It is actually something of a nightmare rewiring an old structure and making sure to replace the right color cable with the corresponding old color code.

British plugs are superior in every single way and anyone who disagrees is a subhuman third worlder.

ah well on the bright side at least you have a single hot/cold water tap

Other than the fact that they're the electrical equivalent of lego bricks. If you step on a NZ plug it doesn't puncture your foot.

Can this happen when you're not at home? If yes and something like the fridge had no electricity it'd bad.

Haha....yeah, about that. I'm afraid we had the "Imperial custom" exported to our older bathrooms and laundries. I've never seen a Kitchen sink with the two taps though.

The British plugs are nowhere near as big as some people make out, especially these days.

t. Kahurangi Woghori

Why are you leaving plugs in the middle of the floor? Most people have their plugs behind stuff or along the wall, when the fuck are you ever leaving them upright where you can stand on them? Freaks.

Ok, boys, end of discussion

For

red = live
black = neutral

If you had a good contractor he would have put your refrigerator (as well as each of your ACs, water heater tank and any other high load devices) on a separate breaker so the kitchen might lose power but not the critical equipment so it all depends on how good your electrical contractor was.

t. Abdullah Wozynski Khan

Are we really going to play this game? Surely you're not going to deny that stepping on a british plug is painful. They're sturdy and hefty, but it can come at a painful price.

Also, in most cases a circuit breaker trips and the fuse stays intact. I can just turn the circuit breaker on again. I think this is easier than replacing a fuse.

desu the size is kind of a good thing for that. If you stand on a plug that's sitting upright it'll knack but it won't go through your skin unless you're stamping on it like a madman

the reason there will never be a universal plug standard is so you can't import the same things for cheaper desu. that's all.

No one steps on plugs because they're never in the way. Also it's not like they're self righting and will always end prong side up, they'll usually sit perfectly happily on their side.

They generally don't. Unless you're a mong who deliberately puts them on their back so the prongs are facing upwards, and have some freak accident where you land on it at 100 miles per hour, at most it's like stepping on lego. Mild annoyance for a few seconds.

Sometimes people leave plugs for things like fan heaters on the floor. They're not in the middle of the floor, on show like some electrical museum exhibit.

I think you're in denial about the pain it caused. I was too, but I learned to cope with lying on the couch and swearing for a few minutes.

You're weak and feeble, like your plugs.

>crease you literally have to pull the plug out to turn it off without flipping the whole wall socket?

Or I turn the device off since everything how a power switch on it?

Teach me your ways. I want to be strong and sturdy, and symmetrically upright.

Of course but where's the convenience.. if you know 100% the cause of the trip then fine. Otherwise a trip is a cause of worry.. what caused this? Could be a million things, the simplest being the breaker has too low of a rating (even tho that's a problem on its own due to voltage balance loss upon changing) - could be a random surge - could be one of the wires isn't withstanding the current or contact heat (the most severe problem)

Having a fuse localized in every plug in the house just solves all of that. You should never ever have a circuit breaker trip in a house with fused plugs (and we don't it's very rare and a cause for worry when it happens).

it's almost always a surge or a short in an appliance

Exactly which is why i said if you know the cause then fine, but if you come home or wake up and the breaker has tripped, or if your breaker keeps tripping..

besides by using fused plugs and smart connections whenever that happens in a certain device, the fuse in that device disconnects power and nothing else. Seriously people do you have your circuit breakers tripping often?

>do you have your circuit breakers tripping often
nah I'm an electrician so I see them sometimes

>Seriously people do you have your circuit breakers tripping often?
It doesn't happen often. Last time I experienced it a power socket had broken.

It's an honor, sir

I have a question out of complete curiosity, when you have to rewire in an old establishment, are you required to completely strip out and rewire due to color code conflict or do you just sort of patch up brown and blue with black and red.

It's actually causing us major headaches here in the old parts of amman as sometimes we are required by law to undertake 2 months of rewiring because 3 meters needed to be done originally.

no you don't need to replace all the old cables thank god, you just need to leave a sticker at the consumer unit saying the premises has both wiring colours.
are your old cables exactly the same but just with old colours?
sometimes we'll encounter cables from our imperial measurement days and have to replace them.

>are your old cables exactly the same but just with old colours?

Exactly this, they're not even that old! The fuckign slimy contractors were installing red+black until 2010 because they're cheaper by pennies on the meter, and now, in certain parts of town, by law, if I see a red or black wire with my eye, I must halt all operations until the building is completely rewired from scratch. It's a fuckign nightmare.

I've also heard of the fabled cloth wiring but I've not seen that for myself thank fuck

Micro-USB standardization was the worst decision ever
>weak connector
>have to haveplug in correct orientation
>easy to break
>shit
>starts losing connection after a year or two
I never had a single problem with old Nokia chargers, yet Ive already had two phones die because the charger wouldnt connect via the shitty usb port

bloody hell that's a nightmare
and a waste of time and money, I suppose the guys doing it aren't complaining though because it's more work
makes no sense that they're making you do that though, over here we have electricians and electrical engineers setting regulations not politicians with no idea

>fuse needs to be inside the plug
what a great design choice!

*Teleports behind you* nothing personal kiddo

Type F is the best socket/plug standard by far
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

>is symmetrical
>is grounded
>is stable (can't get pulled out easily)
>doesn't need a fuse inside the plug
>socket doesn't look like a face
>simple to maintain
>easy and cheap to set up
>French-compatible plugs exist
German engineering, everyone. Standardized in 1930

>not rewireable
>doesn't activate shutters
>live and neutral pins not insulated
>can't tell if earth connection is comprimised
also no fuse isn't a good thing
shit plug, british is still best.

that's funny, we've always had switches here and we both use the same sockets

WAS SEETHING AND JUST ABOUT TO TYPE A RESPONSE AND SAW YOURS> I WANNA BUY YU A PINT BUT THAT WOULD E WEIRD AT 10 AM SO MAYBE LATER xx
\
I love this guy

kill yourself

also this map is outdated for the ME that is all

>NZ plug
erm you mean an Australian plug sweetie, we designed them xx

I allways knew you were a good one, czechfriend.

that's the thing, it's the Engineers Association that is demanding this. I guess they got sick of all the jewery that was going on and decided to act. Besides none of this was an issue until the Abdali Project in the middle of town started rising. Which is basically UAE and Saudi and Lebanese money being pumped into literally the oldest part of town (like literally there is the Roman Ampitheater right next to it)

Ahem

You can change the fuse in two minutes this way.

Ugly just like British "people."

>fuse needs to be inside the plug
>what a great choice

just in case you didn't get that Hans Im making fun of you. I do think it's a great design choice. In fact it's a feature you dumb COW

Denmark >>>>

Japanese plug

Why do you worry about stepping on them? How could it possibly go through the sole of your shoe?

>shoe
Really now

What? Do you not have shoes in Soviet Russia?

The power supply and demand of the Philippines was dominated by the South Korean public corporations. Also Cuba.

>Argentina use the Australian plugs

Hmm?

Go Europlug or go fuck yourselves.

In former East Block there were problems with diffrent colors of wires
So that was pretty frequent to have house electricity connected only using black wires
Thenimagine you have to fix that

Where is type H used, the moon?

This.