DC vs Marvel

Let's debate this Sup Forums. Who do you think has better comics and why?

Company wars...go!

I think both put out the same amount of good comics (most are meh, some are bad, a few are good), much like every other comic publisher.

DC and Vertigo has a bunch of classics.

Anyone who thinks Marvel has better comics than DC is either 12 or just stupid.

The best.

>DC will never give you that line up again

Shouldn't you be in a "why is dc getting rid of muh 52?" thread debating the length of Dr. Manhattan's blue schlong.

Sorry, kid. You must be 18+ to be on Sup Forums.

MODS?

Marvel has more interesting characters, but DC has more interesting stories.

Oh, fuck it. I prefer Valiant

Well after Rebirth, I'd give it to DC. Marvel has been putting out some shite lately like Squirrel Girl and the literally Steven Universe traced Hellcat.

I'm way more interested in what DC is doing right now than Marliberal.

What did Rebirth do so well anyways? From what I've heard, it mainly panders to nostalgia with lots of very hammy text.

I know I'm older than you, Junior. I've also been reading comics since I could read which is way before '08 came along and you DCasuals got your first taste of capeshit from a pretentious film sequel.

>Marliberal

Oh, shit. Good one.

You're right though, DC is definitely against this liberal agenda shit. Making your characters gay/black/gay and black and hiring artists with lesbian haircuts is way conservative.

Setting up a bunch of really intriguing story hooks, and accurately addressing the problems most fans had with the New 52 are the two big ones.
>Hiring artists with lesbian haircuts
wat. How is this even a complaint?

Because it's what a company with a liberal agenda does.

I've always been more attached to DC's characters and lore. Marvel has some good stories too but a lot of their stuff just feels isolated from the rest and they really shouldn't feel like that in a shared universe. And they have more characters that I dislike or don't give a damn about.

I think both have had plenty of great stories over the years but I much prefer how DC has its "lore" (if that's what you'd call it) set up. I don't think you'd see anything like Multiversity at Marvel, I guess the closest thing is what Hickman was doing.

Depends on the writers

I LIKE SOME MARVEL AND SOME DC
i also dislike some marvel and some dc

This, does Marvel EVEN have classics?

This

Black Canary is a martial artist?

Lol

Buck up, it's not that far away from happening again.

...Except for Rayner, but meh.

...For a long time now, yes.

Civil War lol.

It's gonna be one of those threads, innit?

Well, if you're asking for opinions, Marvel does have Hank Pym

but then again, DC has Barry Allen

Squadron Supreme, Frank Miller's Wolverine and Daredevil runs, Death of Captain Marvel...

>it's another DC wankery thread despite the fact that Sup Forums continually talks more about Marvel all year long

Not really then?

Shit taste then?

I guess if it wasn't written by edgy 2000 AD writers then it doesn't matter.

DC has a ton of comics that are perceived as art, good writing material beyond comic books.

Like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, Animal-Man, All Star Superman, Preacher, Sandman, etc.

Marvel literally doesn't have any of that.

user, if you don't think Miller's Daredevil is a classic, you can get the fuck out.

>only one of these is an iconic DC character
kek

Do you ever got tired of these threads? It's always the same arguments, the same baseless assertions and the same shitposting. Makes you just want to take Marvel & DC, and toss out the both of them.

Events - DC easily.
Best book - Marvel.
Best overall books - DC.
As a company you want to write comics for - Image.

2016 so far: DC
2010s so far: Marvel
2000s: Marvel
1990s: DC
1980s: DC
1970s: Marvel
1960s: Marvel
1950s: DC
1940s: DC
1930s: DC

Just how new are you.

one of her defining features m80

90% of Image books turn out to be garbage stories with garbage artists that only sell around 2k copies a month.

>perceived as art, good writing material beyond comic books.

Watchmen and Sandman are the only books that fit this criteria. Everything else is a reach.

>art, good writing material beyond comic books
>All-Star Superman
user are you sure?

Hellboyverse. Better characters, better prices, spin-offs never cross over so you don't have to deal with buying shit you don't want and the art has been consistently good.

>Makes you just want to take Marvel & DC, and toss out the both of them.

No it doesn't. The only people who want to do this are indie-hipsters who complain about the lack of boring-as-snails-fucking french slice of life comics threads on the board.

Weebs aren't allowed to have opinions on western comics. The extent of their judgment is "it's structured like a manga so it's good".

>better prices
>for that art

Hellboy has genuinely better structure and doesn't force a monthly comic for their most popular character. It's a shared universe that doesn't overstep it's bounds.

DC has top tier waifus. Marvel has gwenpool. I rest my case

As a writer with your own creator owned stuff? It is definitely Image. DC and Marvel might pay you more and you might get more recognition for it. But whatever characters you create while working there is owned by them.

Until McFarlane sues you.

>"it's structured like a manga so it's good"

I rest my case.

In their current state, they both suck ass. DC is like, we have to fix everything over and over and over again. And Marvel is like continuity? What's that? By the way, we killed another character.

that sounds like you don't know comics, are you from Sup Forums?

you actually read all of their shit?
jesus christ this is a new level of hardcore

Talking shit about Marvel doing shit is not the same.

''Any publicity is good publicity'' no is not, you can make money but if you hurt your brand you lose more on the long run.

vs ZERO from marvel. ZERO.

Preacher gets more respect than any Avengers run ever I can tell you that much.

Fuck yes I'm sure, All Star Superman is one of those comics that converts people into Superman fans

>Despite the fact that Sup Forums continually talks more about Marvel all year long

You haven't clicked to the fact that Sup Forums, well all of Sup Forums really, talk far more about stuff that they hate? We're still having BvS threads but nobody talks about Civil War anymore

>ZERO from Marvel. ZERO

you saying it don't make it true, son

Tell me ONE great Marvel book that could be put next to Sandman, Swamp Thing, Watchmen, etc.

And I want a book that ALREADY has that kind of popularity.

DC gave us JLI.

Marshal Law.

All-Star is an amazing love-letter to the Silver Age, but the narrative is just okay, and it's not particularly artistic (a la The Airtight Garage or Cerebus).

Earth X.

which are the 5 best events or runs ever, considering only Marvel and DC?

>the only good books are popular books

The DCasuals are doing some crazy contrarian gymnastics nowadays.

Are imprints allowed, or is it just mainline DC & Marvel?

mainline

>Miller's Daredevil
>Hitman
>Watchmen
>New X-Men
>Marvels
That's just my opinion however, so it is in no way objective fact.

>Earth X.

Nah, the presentation for that comic sucks. Over detailed artwork with walls of text, dark colors, etc.

Too edgy to be taken seriusly, like seriusly beyond comic books.

Then tell me a good Marvel book that people consider ART.

Here, I'm waiting. You clearly are a /tvfaggot/ that doesn't know shit about comics, I can tell because of that post, so I bet you don't know shit about shit

>that people consider ART
Who is "people"? Because depending on who you ask, they could consider very different types of comic books (or no comic books at all) art.

You talking about popularity?
Civil War is at this point probably more popular than 2 out of 3 books you just mentioned, ya twat

as for quality
Kraven's last hunt
Man without fear
fucking MARVELS

>Man without fear
Born Again is better imo.

Why is Blue Beetle always paired against Black Panther in the big VS images? They're on two different leagues.

that too
just didn't want to mention two from same hero and MWF came to mind first

seeAnd I've been reading comics since before your father squirted you out of his sack, kiddo. Funny you bring up Sup Forums though. I bet you didn't even pick up a comic until after you watched Heath Ledger's swansong movie.

General consensus user.

The general consensus says that Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Preacher, Sandman, etc are above most comic books because they are sooooo damn good that they are basically good literature, beyond comic books.

Are you going to bring marvel titles that fall in that category or are you a /tvfaggot/?

>You talking about popularity?
NO.

I'm talking about books that ALREADY are known as ''beyond comic books quality wise'', comics that already are known as that.

For example NOT Kraven's last hunt. Good read but nowhere near as good as V for Vendetta, you need to know about Spider-man in order to get it while VFV can be understood without having to be a huge comic book fan

When will the "Kraven's Last Hunt is good" meme end?

General consensus says that only one book you listed is good literature beyond comic books. That's Watchmen. Everything else is an opinion you read on Sup Forums.

I disagree about all of those.

Wolverine and Daredevil are good but nothing special compared with Sandman or Swamp Thing and specially Squadron Supreme doesn't even touch Watchmen despite sharing similar subjects, the writing and presentation are meh.

I have been reading comics since the 2000s

>General consensus
General consensus doesn't mean shit. Just because a lot of people say something doesn't mean it's right. And knock it off with your Sup Forums bogyman, it's annoying.

And if you want artsy Marvel titles, you should try Miller's Daredevil, Marshal Law, Starstruck and Marvels

right about the same time hardcore-dc-only people stop jerking Watchmen off so hard

Sandman won awarsds that only books would get.

I'm still waiting for your example of Marvel having a story that is considered as good as watchmen

>Marvels

I can tell you right now that the book is a poor's man version of Kingdom Come, like you can tell that Marvel hired the same people from KC and told them ''do that but for Marvel comics!'' and it ended up being pretty forgetable beyond the artwork

Marvel has gone too far and has been too ham fisted with their SJW direction.

Doesn't matter, we can jerk off Killing Joke, 10 Sandman volumes, Preacher, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All Star Superman, Road to perdition, To the Man that has everything, Multiversity, Doom Patrol.

What does Marvel has? A rock

Why don't you give me some stories that aren't written by poached 2000 AD talent and we'll talk.

It's nothing like Kingdom Come though. Kingdom Come is about the place of heroes in a world of mortals, Marvels is about the place of mortals in a world of heroes.

>83486879

Changing goal posts when you don't have shit to say.

How does it matter if the writters worked for 2000 AD?

I know its not the same, but you can tell that Marvels wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Kingdom Come.

It feels like the story wasn't that great for Marvels because it was forced to exist

Marshal Law and Born Again are both pretty good, though I eagerly await you to tell me why they're not.

Since when has Preacher even come close to being as good as Doom Patrol or Sandman? Shit I love Ennis but that's still one of his weakest works. What about Hitman? Or just admit that most of DC's greatest shit came from Vertigo. And I'm surprised how many people are talking about Marshal Law.

Doesn't matter what I say. You're an elitist faggot with soft opinions. Everybody says it's the best so it's the best for you.

user, Kingdom Come came out two years after Marvels.

So it doesn't matter at all and you are just a /tvfaggot/ angry that Marvel sucks compared with DC?

Got it. At least DC didn't fuck up a movie so badly that ended up making people call their characters gay for each other

there are marvel runs like Avengers Forever and
Waid's Capitan america that i liked a lot, but I can't use them to defend MArv el because "critics" don't think those are classics.

>At least DC didn't fuck up a movie so badly that ended up making people call their characters gay for each other

wew lad. Call me a /tvfaggot/ and then bring up the films. Not to mention pic related.

>Marshal Law

Too edgy ''lol, gore and blunt political commentary!!''

Not a bad book but its already dated. Its good compared with Avengers books for example.

>Born Again

Its a good run but, again, it doesn't go beyond the realm of comic books.

Part of the ''so good is art!'' is not having to read a lot of other shit in order to understand the title and I think that DD is not for casuals

DC by a mile, because I'm not a fucking 6 year old.

Although I currently read/enjoy ASM and Invincible Iron Man.