/lang/

Language Learning Thread

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
sys.Sup Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffolderview%3Fid%3D0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk%23 (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

auburn.edu/~mitrege/russian/tutorials/
youtube.com/watch?v=2U06PicY2C4
youtube.com/watch?v=2RQHsn2ilfA
youtube.com/watch?v=9bVjvznyE6g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfBu3VgklE
youtube.com/watch?v=nONoW1cTE6w
youtube.com/watch?v=E7zgNye6HTE
youtube.com/watch?v=tN64qgptQQA
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=B856ACDA9CA55FC4047D4CA3F5348CC4
youtube.com/watch?v=MdWl38kYFMo
easy-deutsch.de/en/articles/zero-article/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Languages list

content-free bump

>larping as a Viking Tier:
>Norwegian
>Danish
>No Icelandic
mpye

>Arabic
>Hebrew
>Turkish
kek

Christmas bump

Fuck, I don't wanna learn any

Looking to get back into German after a long hiatus. Which are the best A1/A2 or otherwise starter books/videos/courses?

I want to learn Hindi but I'm having trouble with the sounds. I'm not getting the differences between almost identical sounds (t-th, g-gh, r-rh)

I think I'm gonna give up on duolingo. I'm tired of translating "Mom is eating apples" "The horse likes to jump" over and over.

I'm realizing Russian is actually an incredibly structured and standardized language and I would probably learn a lot faster just studying the grammar and verb conjugations and learning vocab as I go.
Anyone know any good websites or textbooks I could invest in?

Memrise.com, and choose the advanced courses. You can only choose beginner courses through the app

I'll check it out, ty.

memrise isn't a proper course, it's only useful for vocab (and even then, memrise is sorta shitty compared to Anki).

I'm just trying to help. A class would be best tho

The drive has a lot of books so I guess you could check some of them out
Personally I am using the Teach Yourself Beginner's Russian Grammar (West) since it has a nice layout and it looks like material used to teach in school so it's easy to understand, and it also includes exercises and some volcabulary. Another book that looks good but I haven't checked out yet is Dunn & Khairov's Modern Russian Grammar. For websites I have been visiting auburn.edu/~mitrege/russian/tutorials/ which also teaches grammar but it also mentions how the sentence are structured and how some verbs, adverbs, adjectives, etc should be used depending on what are you trying to say, sadly it looks incomplete. The course of memrise is also good and it teaches you words and sentences you could actually use like "How are you?", "I am sorry", "Everything is fine", etc, unfortunately it seems that in the app you need to pay the sales they offer but in the website version everything seems alright. Also use Anki for flashcards, they may be boring but they've really helped me
Good luck, yдaчи

I got that feeling from my first lesson.
I'm looking to learn the grammar rules one by one. I found this website called masteringrussian which has been pretty good but I'm wondering if there's something better. I'm willing to buy a textbook if necessary.

I feel like duolingo and this memrise thing are better for more nuanced languages like English and French. Russian is so reliably standardized.

Cool, thanks! I'll check those out.

PLEASE ANONS HELP ME I NEED FRENCH MUSICIANS TO IMMERSE MYSELF OR ELSE I WILL DIE

I'm able to have a normal conversation in French but I noticed that I still lack vocabulary for common and everyday things. Shit like body parts or household objects. So I just got this for Christmas 15 000 common words ordered by subjects ranging from anatomy to finance and banking. I've already started crossing out those I already know and putting those that are left into a big Anki deck.

>reliably standardized
>Кoшкa пьёт мoлoкo. (SVO)
Кoшкa мoлoкo пьёт. (SOV)
Пьёт мoлoкo кoшкa. (VOS)
Пьёт кoшкa мoлoкo. (VSO)
Moлoкo пьёт кoшкa. (OVS)
Moлoкo кoшкa пьёт. (OSV)

>it's almost 2018 and I haven't gottten past simple sentences
Hold me lads

You forgot
Moлoкo пьёт кoшкy(OMSK)

What kind of music do you listen to usually?

Drawing, writing them down, and making a couple of sentences is usually a better exercise than anki.

Any variation of rock and jazz would be just fine, just preferably not indie rock.

Damn, ya got me there. When it comes to jazz, I only listen to instrumentals, and I can't really stand rock.

Still, for a jazzy (used loosely as a term) chanson singer you could go with Jacques Brel.
Had an amazing diction which is always a plus.
youtube.com/watch?v=2U06PicY2C4

And the only rockers I know are:
Renaud, with his country-infused style
youtube.com/watch?v=2RQHsn2ilfA
Johnny Hallyday. You probably read about him, he recently passed away and which was kind of a big deal in France
youtube.com/watch?v=9bVjvznyE6g

Try Alizée

>kiun lingvon vi lernos dum 2018?
Mi ne scias, sed ŝajne mi devus baldaŭ elekti. Eble mi finfine lernos Loĵbanon.

>lerni memelingvon
Nu, mi jam parolas du memelingvon, do kial ne?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfBu3VgklE
Most of the songs by this artist are in english though, but I like this song.

I'm wondering how bad was the accent of this Ukrainian band
youtube.com/watch?v=nONoW1cTE6w

kio estas via alia memelingvo?

Tokipono

Try some of these. I dont know if any of this would interest you though.

What are you learning?

I studied basic French for 2 years like 3 years ago, where can I continue and what should I retake? also what's the best place to learn it online? I tried Duolingo and I dropped it because I didn't like it, should I continue there?

go on /t/, sometimes there is a whole russian( and other shit) guide there or you could ask on /wsr/

Dietmar Rosenthal.

youtube.com/watch?v=E7zgNye6HTE

bomp

Good stuff

Bamper

Been learning French for 40 days using Duolingo. I'm not a complete beginner--I've learned French from Grades 5 to 9 before dropping it for 6 years. Should I use Assimil or Intro to French Phonology from FSI? Also can someone recommend grammar books?

Anyone know how the Duolingo Japanese course is? I've already learned to read hiragana and katakana, but I'd really like to get a good amount of grammar and vocab learned. I'm not too worried about kanji, but I do want to learn it eventually, but I would like to first focus on grammar at least to get a decent grasp of the language instead of just being able to vomit up random bits of vocab.

>too brainlet for Russian

Anyone here that has memrise premium? Right now it costs only 10 dollars for a whole year

Other than that "difficult words" shit, what does it even do?

sanscrit should be with classics

duolingo is beginner tier. memerise is better

french for reading by Karl sandburg

Я изyчaю Pyccкий язык. Eтo язык oчeнь кpacивaя и тoжe oчeнь cлoжнo

Nothing, really, but you are supporting their developers

why are these East European languages we wuz tier?

Where are you finding it for 10? Mine shows it at 50% off at $30

your spanish is terrible dude

Does anyone by any chance have a comparable chart for Russian music? Whatever genres

This sounds good. I will check it out

Плэй – Бoльныe люди

this tbqh
norwegian and danish are pleb tier

spasibo

pozhalujsta

I do some grammar and other construction stuff first, then work on a bit of vocab by reading French Wikipedia.

youtube.com/watch?v=tN64qgptQQA

does anyone have a PDF of german for reading?

bump

Catalan. You may have seen me struggling in older /lang/ threads.

gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=B856ACDA9CA55FC4047D4CA3F5348CC4

Swedish and Danish!

I'm at the point now where I can read /fr/ threads here and understand maybe 50% of posts and maybe up to 70% if I translate a few words. However my aural recognition is very poor and my written and spoken French is non existent. What do?

No sorry. I pulled that from the Sup Forums wiki and surprisingly I couldn't find one. There are a lot of Spanish charts in anyone's interested though.

Try the assimil french course. I posted a link for it in a previous thread, so try searching for it.

That's what I've been learning a lot of my French from. I'm about half way through the book. I'm really bad at the translation exercises.

You probably just need to improve your vocab then.

youtube.com/watch?v=MdWl38kYFMo

Romeo Elvis

Good lyrics, good songs, good beats. What I do is I first write down the french lyrics, then translate them, then do my best to sing along with the song (which requires me listening and practicing to the song over and over and over). What I think is extremely effective about this method is that it involves all areas of language learning: writing, sentence structure, listening comprehension, and pronunciation. Songs, especially rap songs, always throw in slang and word tricks as well which is a bonus

Bon courage mon ami, I think french as a non-native speaker is actually quite difficult and not as easy as people think, especially for non-romance language speakers

add wingdings with a pic of agumon

Don't forget to inspect the similarities, disparities and the world order when you're translating, or you'll be doing it for naught.

Ich lerne Deutsch
Ich liebe Deutscheland
Ich bin student
der student

French.

Well, I'm already studying it.

*Ich liebe Deutschland.
*Ich bin ein Student.

Keep at it Tojo!

Berliner Platz is okay

I got a question regarding English. I was talking with a Chinese friend and she wrote :
>"if I'm the boss I wont hire a french native speaker to teach english"

I told her the sentence is broken and it should be "
>If I were/was the boss I wouldn't hire..."
She says it's the "zero conditional tense" and it's not a mistake. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work at all here but I have some doubts now.

Depends when she was referring to
>Are we going to hire Jamal McNigger?
>"(well) if I'm the boss I wont hire a french native speaker to teach english"
Where she is talking about the present and it is uncertain if she is in charge (women should never be, they're stupid whores)

>"if I'm the boss I wont hire a french native speaker to teach english"
Otherwise the grammar is almost infantile but I can't confirm that it is actually wrong. It *should* be:
>If I WERE in charge I WOULDN'T hire a French native speaker

forgot: it should be *native French Speaker

>tfw I want to learn Icelandic someday mainly because it has my two favorite letters

She's not going to be the boss, it's entirely a hypophetical situation.
It would work if she was going to be the boss at some point in the future.
>If I'm the boss (at this time, in the future), I won't hire Jamal.

But it's something entirely hypothetical so I think I'm right. But then again I'm not a native and my knowledge of English is too empirical so I often make mistakes.

Can someone from France or Germany give me a French or German learning guide from their country in their language?
Now with master google tracking, everything I get is returned for English people only. I want to learn 2 languages at the same time using a different language for the second. I already know very basics of both and want to compare.
Thanks.

Not French but check out
Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermediaire 3eme edition and le bon usage

How can I improve my writing and speaking skills in English????

thanks user, but I meant like, a French learn German guide or a German learn French guide, not a learn the language in it's own language guide. Shall have a look at those anyway.

By writing and speaking in English

Write something lengthy and have a native speaker look over it. Keep doing this until you make little to no mistakes.

For speaking learn basic pronunciation and make an extra effort to not speak 'engrish', although that seems somewhat unavoidable.

Any tips for learning Korean?

>Ich bin Student
this is correct. it's showing an occupation of sorts, in which case it's correct in German (and some other Germanic languages, e.g. Dutch) to omit the article. this phenomenon is called the zero article.
easy-deutsch.de/en/articles/zero-article/

Read things out load and transcribe them.
I know there is a French learning guide for Russians in one of the torrents, so there might be one for Germans learning French or vice versa. If not, just find a copy of the assimil German course for French speakers.

>not sticking to the original 151
why
nice tho

she is right that it's the zero conditional but wrong in its context
I agree with you here

are you even a language learner if you haven't read this book?

>kató lomb
Oh look at me, I am a Eurofaggot who grew up with a million languages, look how great I am for being multilingual.

Euro Roasties are the worst

I started 5 days ago. The more I learn it the more I hate it.

>t. monolingual brainlet

t. who?

Thanks

she grew up as a monolingual btw