youtube.com/watch?v=P3z_UDlP-uQ
twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/727302916520845313
youtube.com/watch?v=6HTt6QJqzxk
desustorage.org/co/thread/79914645/#79914645
pastebin.com/mxicpd40
youtube.com/watch?v=fXy0tZ5eCG4
dipper-mabel-pacifica.tumblr.com/post/139499229528/ok-but
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Surprisingly underwhelming to the point where I lost all enjoyment in the show.

It was underwhelming like the user above said, but I found it to be appropriate for a show like Gravity Falls. I wanted more stuff to be explored (aliens, Blendin, blind eye society, shape shifter, Ford's lab, where Ford was in the portal, Dipper's real name, more of Giffany, more Wendy screentime) I could go on. I enjoyed that it was a simple tale of growing up during the summer in the end though. Reminds me of my childhood. Beautiful cartoon overall though. There's not many cartoons I watch today and this was like one of the five I watch. Sad to see it go...

>Watch the finale
>Watch At Midnight with Chris Hardwick
>Mabel's voice actress is on it.
>She teaches Fozzie Bear about finger banging.

FUCK

two words dude
hat
swap

I prefer it when shows with overarching mysteries leave at least part of the mystery unexplained.

This, it retroactively made me dislike the show. I can't even be bothered to watch the good episodes now.

Halfway through I realized how much I didn't care. I wanted to care, but I couldn't. Really wish they would've just made one more season.

youtube.com/watch?v=P3z_UDlP-uQ
Get ready to have Mabel and Louise and any of her other kid characters ruined.

I liked it

It was a let down honestly, but given the trajectory of season 2 I'm glad it came when it did.

This, I wish Alex just soldiered out one more season to get everything done. I think he just cracked under all the pressure.

Jesus Christ, Sup Forums. If you thought my finale was so bad, then show me you can do better.
Where's YOUR cartoon, hmm?

This. To be honest, I just watched S2 last week, thiugh.

I found the very last few scenes especially relatable, sunce I went through something similar when I was a kid.

Had its highs and lows, but it was a good ride, overall.

Honestly, I can't see Alex even saying that. He always came off as a down-to-earth guy who got slandered by others in the industry because the cartoon industry is so toxic.

You're right, there is always worse

Like your upcoming Family Guy xerox on Fox

It was more the fact she taught Fozzie Bear, a muppet, what finger banging is, when he's already got a whole arm up the ass.

>muh Hirsch can do no wrong

Meh, it was underwhelming.

I really found insulting how Stan recovers his memory and it was obvious that he left it as open ended as possible so incase his project on Fox fails he'll just jump back to it.

as others have said here, tremendous fuck-up by Alex to end the show early. he just couldn't fucking handle the pressure and Season 2B ended up leaving most of his fans completely disillusioned with the show. fuck that alcoholic hippie

It was okay, I guess. I came into the show pretty late, a bit after Not What He Seems premiered, but I fell in love with it pretty fast. 2B was pretty inconsistent in quality, I'd say. The finale in particular was a let down because of that. It was good as the finale to a kids show, but I don't think it's the ending Gravity Falls deserved. 2B, to me, felt really rushed because so many episodes had to be plot dumping episodes, and they were interspersed with stuff like Roadside Attraction. This led to really weird pacing and a lot of lore, plot points, and characters lacking the development they needed. Stuff like Ford or Pacifica or even Bill ended up falling flat in the end. Ford didn't get enough time to really be characterized and ended up being something of a deus ex machina, Pacifica lost all her character development from Golf War and Northwest Mansion, and Bill, I feel, lost a lot of his threat near the end of Weirdmageddon. The finale did have some really good moments, like the Gundam fight scene, but overall I just felt let down for the most part. But I sort of expected to be let down, just due to how much stuff had been dropped in 2B.

>Losing interest in a television show after it ends.

Isn't that counterintuitive

Her character in 30 Rock was bad enough.

Legit tears. I keep investing myself into these types of shows. And I finished OtGW today. I need more cartoons like these in my life. Rec me, please

It had the potential to be absolutely amazing and was just really good instead. But it's funny how I get defensive about it now, it frankly had way more potential than SvtFoE or Loud House, both good shows by the way, but not with the incredible potential GF had.

So people here get irritated with Gravity Falls for overreaching, but I think that is a good thing even though it failed in the end because the incredible talent behind it was only human. But I really appreciate them trying and striving for greatness, you know?

Well he sure as hell isn't going to rewatch it or remember it fondly.

Overall it was pretty neat but the last 20 minutes were incredibly lame and this was coming from someone who had zero expectations about the main story.

Like what? You mean shows like OTGW/GF specifically or just good cartoons in general?

Yeah, more stuff like OTGW/GF, shit that will suck me in the whole way

The Stan sacrifice getting undone in literally five minutes sucked. And Stan is objectively the main character. But it should have been bittersweet.

Mystery Inc.
It's like Gravity Falls but with a good written ending.

Fuck meant to say BEST character. But main chara too, writers wound up putting the most emphasis and care and thought into Stan, because he was the best. But...he needed to have the sacrifice mean more.

>it frankly had way more potential than SvtFoE or Loud House

It is way better than both of those shows. People got so caught up in the mystery and characters that they forget just how funny the show was. The plot itself was never that great, a long lost twin was about as clichéd as possible and them lamp shading it didn’t make it less so. I remember people complaining about “filler” all throughout the second half of the season and always thinking how they could have forgotten about the first season, and how so many of the best episodes had little if anything to do with the overarching storyline. The biggest loss of the show only lasting two seasons and cramming all the plot into the second half of the last season is that the show was always at its strongest when it was episodic, meaning that it played to its strengths less and less as it went along.

It actually kind of pissed me off that Stan got his memory back.

This.
The show is great but the only reason the story was the one thing people focused on was because it came out in a time when most western cartoons didn't care much about continuity so one that revolved around it intrigued people.

True, the Simpsons-esque humor was actually one of the best parts...funnier than the aforementioned shows. Though I'm not sure if plot relevance or not was the main factor. I found Sock Opera pretty damn funny, I guess that was a "plot" episode but that's not why it was funny. People online got too obsessed with the mystery and plot and codes, maybe because as you said, that was unusual.

>he watches @Midnight

It was funny, but season 2B wasn't.

I'm never going to believe that 2B wasn't the result of everybody burning out and trying to compress an entire season or more. But I think it was still good, just not amazing as it could have been if behind the scenes scenes bullshit hadn't happened.

Sup Forums was going ballistic over the finale and some people even said it was the best episode ever. Not for me, i thought it was underwhelming. The setup was cliche and lame af, stan practically acted out of context, the robot fight with rock theme played in the background was retarded (of course kids will find it cool), the twist is good even though i saw it coming. But there are still number of great scenes that worth mentioning. Bill's defeat, the forest scene and the end montage were great. It just didn't have enough tension or level of satisfactory for the whole thing.

She deserved better ending, fuck

You know who else isn't going to rewatch it or remember it fondly? GFI!

>Mystery Inc.
>but with a good written ending

You're joking, right? Haha. Who the hell would like an ending where everything was reset and the relationships outside their group didn't matter anymore.

And what was worse was that the gang's interaction with each other was the worst part of the show. I didn't care about the relationship drama. Is there any Scooby Doo series where they actually feel like friends?

It was entertaining, and that's all it needed to be.

>fox
Haven't you heard?
twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/727302916520845313

The show felt the need for a big explosive finish when that's never why the show was good. This came at the expense of character development and mystery which both felt abruptly tied up

It works as an ending, but that's about it

I want her to stalk me

Huh, I really liked it. I never would have expected it to turn into a Pacific Rim vs Bill fight. Then the heroic sacrifice by Stan. And that letter by Wendy was just so sweet.

I loved it and I think it's what Dipper and Mabel deserved.

>I had been forced to retroactively downgrade my enjoyment

That's a thing that can happen: youtube.com/watch?v=6HTt6QJqzxk

Their inability to allow any sort of lasting consequence remain really neutered the impact of the final episode

Exactly, she was teaching him subtlety, Fozzie's very weak in that regard.

>Then the heroic sacrifice by Stan.
you mean the one they turned around in 5 minutes if not less?

C'mon, it's a kids cartoon. They all deserved a happy ending. It doesn't make his sacrifice any less meaningless.

Except it does
When the consequences of an entire show's climax are reversed five minutes later it puts an incredibly bitter taste in your mouth. I'm not saying that they had to end it with Stan's memories being completely obliterated but at least make him work for it a bit. Him going on an adventure with Ford would've been way cooler if it doubled as a quest for Stan to regain the rest of his memories.

No that is bad writing in any so. I hate this "but it's a kid show" mentality, the reason so many people like the series is it was better than an average kids show

It is not an excuse for sloppy writing that undoes a good moment making the sacrifice mean little. At least if they had a difficult task of getting his memory back or he wasn't all there with the risk he may never fully be then that would be something but instead bullshit

I guess I just didn't expect or want a sad/grimdark ending for my favourite cartoon characters.

He still made the sacrifice. His intentions were noble and him punching Bill into smithereens was satisfying. Maybe it just doesn't feel cheap to me, but I see why it would to other people.

I'm struggling to understand why there are still retards who think Stan should have never gotten his memory back when Mcgucket erased his mind how many times? and still remained a good bit of himself when he saw a few of his memories. Like, I wasn't in love with Gravity Falls, nor its Finale, but to say that Stan should have kept his memory loss is just dumb.

>Mcgucket erased his mind how many times? and still remained
You mean after a summer of exposure to stuff and even then he wasn't quite all there or right?

Good in total, but mostly because of the production values, mainly the sound.

I'm having trouble thinking of that many that were better this Millennium. Would people name more than 1?

I liked it. any time giant robots get involved, I'm down with just about anything and Bill becoming a powerful and ruthless villain at the end was cool.

The only real thing I didn't like was the episode that came right before it. Roadside Attraction was fucking dismal and is the only complete failure of an episode in the whole series.

And yet he still get back a sense f himself and was on the track to being himself again then yes. Still doesn't excuse people saying Stan should be amnesiac permanently, since Stan got shot once, immediately had his family and a scrapbook of memories to help him.

Pretty much how I feel.

If they actually kept the amnesia on Grunkle, it would've been better. Too bad they had to "fix it" literally a minute later.

>It is way better than both of those shows

Not really, it just promised way more. Hype is everything these days, so long as you tease and promise awesome things, then that's all that matters to a lot of people. People jump the gun and say its the best thing ever, even when it doesn't meet expectations. Gravity Falls was a decent show that hyped itself as somethig far greater than what it was, and people fell for it, completely ignoring all the flaws and the fact that outside the mystery, there's little to separate it from any other Disney show. Neither SvtFoE nor Loud House does this, they make it clear what you see is what you get.

Pretty underwhelming. It was an entertaining show but didn't live up the hype Alex promised. Just glad its over though.

Why? She learned a lesson and was less of a bitch, but a little bitch is still a bitch.

>The extremely rich because less rich
>Pacifica had to give up her pony
>OH THE HUMANITY

I have to tell myself that people didn't hear the ending where they mentioned they're still fucking rich because I refuse to believe that there are so many people who think that going from a multi billionaire to a multi millionaire is actually a severe punishment.

To be fair mission hill had a pretty shitty "finale".

I thought that was the point, the rich getting out of punishment?

I loved it and will remember it fondly. Sure it fell flat in some areas and there were some things I wish they expanded upon but it was funny and I liked the characters. Whenever I rewatch I remember the fun times we had in /gfg/.

Also what the fuck I tried to post this the first time and was told that I was banned for 3 days in 2014 for posting furries in Sup Forums. I've never posted in Sup Forums

> Also what the fuck I tried to post this the first time and was told that I was banned for 3 days in 2014 for posting furries in Sup Forums. I've never posted in Sup Forums
You probably got switched to an IP that was used previously to fuck around on Sup Forums. It happens.

Probably the case. Was just a little jarring.

>Missed the reaction from Sup Forums.
Well, see for yourself.
desustorage.org/co/thread/79914645/#79914645
In fact, have every single reaction ever.
pastebin.com/mxicpd40

>pastebin.com/mxicpd40
You're a saint buddy, shame about the archives losing some of the threads but what can you do.

>the ice bag is someone who's cool
>the glasses is someone who's smart
Maybe i was expecting too much for a kids show

>Wheel deniers BTFO

It's so fucking hilarious seeing these comments. I legitimately burst out laughing.

I think I wrote that exact post.
It's always funny to see deniers get btfo.
It happened with the twin deniers.
It happened with the wheel deniers.
It will happen again with the bill statue deniers. Don't forget this.

The wheel was I R R E L E V A N T. This whole time. Even the lead up to everyone's symbol was shit.

Yeah, but it happened. That's the only thing that matters.

I liked it, but there were two problems; ignoring pacifica's development and not having the memory loss being more permanent

No it didn't. If 'it happened' then the wheel would have actually activated.

I meant that it happened because it was real all along. Whether it worked or not is irrelevant when it comes to deniers getting blown out.

Of course it was real, what I think most people (or at least myself) are arguing is that it had no importance in the story whatsoever.

Please actually read the post. As episodic shows go (which with the exception of Gravity Falls in 2B, all of them were) Gravity Falls was far better written. I know humour is subjective, but I remember people regularly stating they found entire episodes of Star to be humourless and the Loud House’s humour is ridiculously trite, I can confidently say the worst of season one Gravity Falls is funnier than the best of either of those shows (and I like Star). I think it’s unfair to us to judge the show based on its failure to deliver a satisfying plot when that wasn’t the reason we started watching the show in the first place, even if 2B leaves an understandable bad taste in the mouth.

I also hate the idea that having an overarching story somehow makes the show “greater”. What is it with people wanting cartoons to become anime? Most anime don’t have great endings either, at least with episodic shows you can enjoy the ride without feeling as though the initial experience was somehow let down by the end (or lack thereof). I’d take a good episodic show with a shit ending over an arching show with a shit ending any day.

Don't you think that's moving the goalposts a little bit?
Why can't you accept defeat?

>>Thinking overreaching storylines in cartoons means turning into an anime

You must have some powerful damn legs to have made that high a jump in conclusion. Like, are you completely ignoring western live-actions, or how the original plan for Gravity Falls was three season. And yes, actually adding substance to your story by having a plotline does tend to make it objectively better.

>I’d take a good episodic show with a shit ending over an arching show with a shit ending any day.

Also holy fuck, are these the only shows you think exist?

Not really, I always knew that it would show up. It was in the credits and Bill even referenced their symbols. How I knew it wasn't going to be relevant was because there was never a scene where a character went, "Hey, isn't it odd how we match these symbols? Wonder what that means?" And whatnot.

So no, there is no wrong answer for me. I was right in assuming that the wheel wouldn't have plot relevance. I just assumed that everyone else would realize it that way.

>>Pacifica had to give up her pony
>>OH THE HUMANITY
youtube.com/watch?v=fXy0tZ5eCG4

Seriously though, the disappointment is more because after how great she was in NWMM(N?) it was incredibly disappointing for her to become a bland tsundere (I-it’s not like I wanted to get you a gift or anything) and conclude her story with “lolol first world problems, am I rite?!?!?” She really did have the potential to be far more than the standard tsundere rich bitch, and very briefly was, but Hirsch never intended for her to be so and kept all her development locked away in a single episode to be ignored from then on.

Also
dipper-mabel-pacifica.tumblr.com/post/139499229528/ok-but

>And yes, actually adding substance to your story by having a plotline does tend to make it objectively better.
Well it really depends on the writers abilities. Having an overarching plot immensely helps keep things interesting but if the writer can't write a interesting story or can't make any meaningful character development then all you have in the end of the day is a shit show with wasted potential.

A show can still very much have substance without necessarily having a main storyline behind it. Character development and drama can still be down without a central plot, but yes having one does help make the story focused and leading up to something greater.

>Thinking overreaching storylines in cartoons means turning into an anime

Never said that, I just notice a lot of people seem to envy a lot of things about anime that I really don't think should be.

>And yes, actually adding substance to your story by having a plotline does tend to make it objectively better.

>Also holy fuck, are these the only shows you think exist?

No. They're most shows though, because it is true that most things are shit.

>Pacific Rim vs Bill fight

It's funny how overwhelmingly positive most people were in those threads right up until AToTS. What the fuck happened?

2B was almost complete shit compared to the rest of the series honestly, if they ended on Stanford coming out of the portal I would not have given a fuck and it would have ended perfectly.

Well, you see.
When you properly set up a twist like Stan's brother, your audience expects you to keep the mindfuckery at that level. Turns out there was no mystery or lore after that (well, apart from Bill's apocalypse, which you could see from a mile away).
The fact that most S2B episodes were shit didn't help.

>Character who is part of a major twist and plot point is revealed
>Is almost completely ignored for majority of the rest of the season

Not really, the original argument was if the Wheel was actually a thing or if it was just decoration or something like that.

>He still made the sacrifice.
This.
It's a disney cartoon, they aren't going to make it edgy just to satisfy a bunch of 4channers.
Focus on theory of mind, what's Stan thinking as the flames close in?
What's Ford thinking?
Focus on what Dipper & Mabel are feeling when it looks like Stan is gone.

Bill being destroyed while Stan made a full recovery... think of it as a chemo therapy vs. cancer. Bill was more easily obliterated since he was an outside entity.