Interesting article on Bleeding Cool, talking with various people involved with the early days of Marvel Studios...

Interesting article on Bleeding Cool, talking with various people involved with the early days of Marvel Studios. Too long to paste it all, but some highlights:

-Ike Perlmutter has been used as a scapegoat by those at Marvel Studios now, as his reclusive nature means he won't respond, and they can also take credit for any successes he may have engineered.

-Mort Handel, former chairman of Marvel Entertainment’s board of directors, says the company was in a bad spot when the money from the Spider-Man movies started rolling in. The X-Men deal was struck during Marvel's bankruptcy, and they do not make as much money on those as they do the Spider-Man movies.

-Mort: "I don’t want to dismiss Kevin [Feige’s] role, but let’s not make it larger than what it was." He gives Avi Arad much of the credit, and that Feige had capable people like Fine, Buckley, and Quesada when he took over.

-Jim Halpin, Marvel board of directors member since 1995, credits Arad and former Marvel Studio head David Maisel (credited as the studio's founding chairman in Age of Ultron). "He [Maisel] was the one who conceived them as a slate of movies and was able to finance them successfully, negotiating the deal, raising a $500 million line with no impact on Marvel’s balance."

-Halpin: "Feige couldn’t shine Ike’s shoes" and that "it’s all gone to his head, Feige is a legend in his own mind."

-Warners actually had the license to the Iron Man movie at the time, and Marvel was preparing to sell the rights to Cap and Thor as well, but Masiel stopped them. After getting Iron Man back, Masiel made the deal to do those low-budget animated Lionsgate direct-to-DVD movies. When they made a profit, it convinced Perlmutter to let Masiel pursue live action movies.

bleedingcool.com/2016/06/06/feige-couldnt-shine-ikes-shoes-talking-to-marvel-board-members-about-marvel-studios/

Other urls found in this thread:

denofgeek.com/movies/marvel/34092/how-marvel-went-from-bankruptcy-to-billions
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>bleedingcool

what these digits said

>MCUck denial

>being this new

>-Halpin: "Feige couldn’t shine Ike’s shoes" and that "it’s all gone to his head, Feige is a legend in his own mind."

>After getting Iron Man back, Masiel made the deal to do those low-budget animated Lionsgate direct-to-DVD movies. When they made a profit, it convinced Perlmutter to let Masiel pursue live action movies.
Seriously? Those terrible low-budget direct-to-DVD movies are the reason the MCU was greenlit?

BleedingCool being very anti-Fiege is so strange

>He gives Avi Arad much of the credit
>Avi Arad

I thought that Arad was fucking insane

Aren't these the guys responsible for marvel going bankrupt in the first place? What good is their opinion on who successfully moves money around?

Avi Arad is as literally a Jew as Isaac Perlmutter.
Should the two ever meet face-to-face, only one will emerge from the conflicting forces alive.

Which ones are we talking? The Animated ones?

I don't like Marvel at all but the Doctor Strange one was really good.

That was mostly Ron Perelman, former owner.

>By 1995, Marvel Entertainment was heavily in debt. In the face of mounting losses, Perelman decided to press on into new territory: he set up Marvel Studios, a venture which he hoped would finally get the company's most famous characters on the big screen after years of legal disputes. To do this, he planned to buy the remaining shares in ToyBiz and merge it with Marvel, creating a single, stronger entity.

>Marvel's shareholders resisted, arguing that the financial damage to Marvel's share prices would be too great. Perelman's response was to file for bankruptcy, thus giving him the power to reorganise Marvel without the stockholders' consent.

denofgeek.com/movies/marvel/34092/how-marvel-went-from-bankruptcy-to-billions

I still remember back when he tried to claim that Amazing Spider-Man was set in the same universe as the Raimi films, the "untold story"

Here's exactly what was said.

>Maisel lobbied to block the Captain America and Thor deals. “Ike will challenge your argument and your logic in a tough way sometimes, but he will listen, and eventually I convinced him to support what I needed to do to at least try to make a studio,” he says. As an early proof of concept, Maisel says he made a deal with Lionsgate to do low-budgeted animated Iron Man and Avengers movies that would go direct to DVD. Lionsgate financed the films for a distribution fee and half the profit. “It allowed me to say to people: ‘Look at the value of our IP. Here’s someone paying all the money, and we have creative control and get half the profits,’” says Maisel.

>As Maisel pressed for Marvel to own its live-action movies, Perlmutter and the board told him to give it a shot as long as Marvel wouldn’t have to put up a dime.

Prove you can do it on a small scale first, then go big.

>Avi Arad
>Quesada
Oh yes, evidence has definitely shown me that THESE people deserve credit for the MCU's success.

Thanks for sharing your article Rich, remember to kiss Ike's asshole for me

Jews jewing Jews jewing Jews

They're responsible for getting things started but if people can remember far back enough MCU wasn't the big fucking deal it is now until Avengers made billions of dollars. Prior to that it was Iron Man and friends and even then only the first IM movie was great. the meddling by Ike and others on the creative committee kept several other films from being as good as they could have been. Nothing here disputes that. It just shows we have Ike and a couple others to thank for getting things started and that's it. That's not really news to anyone who's been paying attention.. Fiege is the main reason why things are going as well as they are now and likely why we're seeing better and better directors on board for future films.

So this bait article back Fiege is just saying he isn't the business end of thing. No shit, we already knew he was more of the creative control guy, not the guy raising the money for the films. The whole thing would have still imploded on them if they handled the creative side badly.

>Marvel
>Creative
top kek mouse

Agreed. It was the only good one

>Perelman decided to press on into new territory: he set up Marvel Studios, a venture which he hoped would finally get the company's most famous characters on the big screen after years of legal disputes. To do this, he planned to buy the remaining shares in ToyBiz and merge it with Marvel, creating a single, stronger entity.
>Marvel's shareholders resisted, arguing that the financial damage to Marvel's share prices would be too great. Perelman's response was to file for bankruptcy, thus giving him the power to reorganise Marvel without the stockholders' consent.
Absolute madman or genius?

>Rich shills Marvel Comics as the greatest ever and lies that they were the key to MS
Suuuure, Rich. Keep sucking your master Ike's dick.

Rich has been doing a lot of pro-Perlmutter, anti-Feige stuff, sourced from Marvel people who are upset at Feige freezing them out.

It's fairly interesting because nothing is ever black and white, good guys vs. bad, but it really just reinforces the idea that Perlmutter and his supporters don't understand creativity. They think having the idea for a shared universe is the same thing as actually going out there and making it work.

(Feige counts as a creative because the producer is basically a creative job on these films, just like the comics editor is partly a creative job.)

> "He [Maisel] was the one who conceived them as a slate of movies and was able to finance them successfully, negotiating the deal, raising a $500 million line with no impact on Marvel’s balance."

A lot of the quotes are like that, where someone seems to think raising money and having a plan is the same thing as making entertaining movies.

It's like Mr. Burns saying "you, Strawberry! hit a home run!"

>It's like Mr. Burns saying "you, Strawberry! hit a home run!"
kek

The only thing from the articles I agree with is that at some time in the far future, Feige may not be overseeing the films. Maybe he steps down, maybe he gets a better job, whatever. But it does run the risk that they don't hire someone like Feige to oversee the films.

>Should the two ever meet face-to-face, only one will emerge from the conflicting forces alive.

Do you even know anything about the history of Toy Biz and Marvel?

Avi Arad and Ike Perlmutter worked together at Toy Biz. That was how they got connected with Marvel in the first place, and later how they got control of the company.

I'll give him credit for doing whatever he did to make Raimi's Spider-man work, but then I think Amazing Spider-man 2 showed that he no longer had any marbles to offer.

ASM2 was not entirely his fault. Everyone at Sony got greedy over establishing a multi-franchise cinematic universe at the expense of the movie at hand.