Why does DC insist on using house style in so many of their books?

Seriously. It's dim, it's overdrawn, in a lot of cases it's practically unreadable... all that AND it's generic, ugly, and results in a lot of weird faces.*

I don't get it. There are clearly interesting artists out there right now; heck, a lot of the artists DC employs do good work on their Vertigo series. And yet basically every single character in a DCU (sorry, DCYOU lol) title looks like they have a butthole for a mouth.

*the few exceptions, of course, are things like Batgirl, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary, which are weird and generic in a different annoying way

>complaining about, what looks like, Chris Burnham

I think the house style is actually Poser Art now, they've got a few of them like Janin and Zircher. I don't think there's ever been a time I'd think Burnham or Quitely ever became House Style so no idea what you're talking about.

>Mouseketeer gets triggered that DC has top tier art for patricians while Marlel is overrun by Hendersons and Leths and Lands
WEW
E
W

You marvel drones really are reaching new levels of pathetic.

>why does DC use this awful house style?
>except when they don't, but I hate that too

OK familia

I really want to like Janin's stuff but the face thing sucks me out of it every time.

Yeah, say what you will about Marvel, but there is a lot more artistic variety (even though we have stuff like Squirrel Girl and Hellcat)

>I think the house style is actually Poser Art now
Came here to post this and was ready to get into a shitfit with someone posting Prez and Chiang WW panels

DC house style in the past 10 years went from the Neal Adams tribute band (Reis, Van Sciver) to Image Founders cover outfit (Booth, Rocafort, Finch) to 3D Max brigade (Janin, Fabok)

There is no house style I thought this meme died years ago

In which category would you put Bruno Redondo art?

The face thing is the least of his problem although it's pretty blatant

So weird to see Sup Forums loving on him. I remember seeing his stuff back on a Flashpoint tie-in, and later on JLD, and just couldn't get over how lifeless everything was.

the category that makes me wanna ravage Harley

Looks like a solid crafter in the vein of Maguire, Batista, early Hughes i.e the original JLI crowd. Those colors are shit though, I'd like to see him in pencils

Mouths Like Assholes style (or, in this case, just... Weird). Harley's mouth in the first panel looks like she's getting a dental exam.

It's true, it's possible that 90% of DC art would be okay if they didn't have garbage inking/coloring

You have a weird fixation on mouths acting as assholes or vice versa ... maybe youu should check yourself on /d/

The face works well in context of the huge OH MY GOD. What would you like to see there? Closed mouth?

what bothers me about Janin is that it's just barebones pencil outlines with computer art and coloring filling in the rest

it's mostly alright in covers but unbearable in interiors

>I'd like to see him in pencils

From Injustice Year Two #2. The only thing that I could found

Trolling aside(i mean come on, you could've used Rebirth as an example and actually had half a point but DCYou actually had diverse and interesting art styles across the board), but anyway, all that aside, how come Mahvel is only hiring tracers and really awful artists like Henderson, the guy on Power Man and his annoying little asian sidekick, Hellcat etc?

There aren't any pencil outlines. He literally adds some hatching and scratching on top of 3d models and sends them in

I personally think, or presume at least, that those non-house style comics have more forgiving and in many ways different audience, than what the ''main'' titles have, y'know? They most likely appeal better to women, younger readers and minorities of all sorts, who are looking for more stylistic. But the bigger titles rely on the ''safe'' house style to appeal to a larger, most likely male-dominated group, who don't necessarily need or want anything super-dooper stylistic. Also the feeling of consistency between different main titles is a big part of doing stuff in a particular way.

I dunno, that's my best guess.

Batman and Wonder Woman were 2 of my most hyped books and they're ruined by garbage art and garbage lettering respectively

And Booth Wally which is a fate worse than death

>Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott
>garbage
Please put on a trip so I can filter you

Like I said, solid stuff. Heads above any Daniels, Faboks, Janins, Finches, Van Scivers, Reises or whoever's considered top talent in the "main" univers

Capullo was the best artists at DC and Sup Forums hated him because he was on Batman.
DC fags know anything about art and base their judgment based on the character someone is doing

You're a moron if you think Fabok or Reis aren't top tier. If you don't like their style fine, but don't be a retard.

because non-house style triggers most neckbeards. Also they equate not being able to masterbate to the characters as bad art

Isn't that just how Quietly and Burnham draw? Never seen anyone else really do that. You wanna talk about bad house styles, let's talk marvel. 75% of their books look like webcomics.

>and Sup Forums hated him because he was on Batman.

?

And the other 25% are tracers(Land, Sorrentino, Deodato)

What do you mean by top tier? As in quality?

Because they both fucking SUCK as artists.

You're either retarded or just pretending to be retarded. Either way eat a fuck.

Do you know what respectively means? Wonder Woman's preview had horrible lettering, near unreadable. I love Scott's art.

Capullo was consistently spotlighted as one of the best parts of nu52 Batman

No really, I'd love to hear what's so good about them. Can you go into detail?

More Ian Bertram when

I feel the same way OP. It's like every single DC artist has to be some knock-off George Perez meets Jim Lee for some fucking reason. They have awesome artists too, don't get me wrong, from JHWIII to Francis Manapul, but fuck me I can't stand the generic trash like Ivan Reis they throw on seemingly every book they don't have a real vision for.

Stuck with Tomasi's talentless faggot ass at Dark Horse

Maybe when he finishes his dark horse stuff

I hated how he tended to suffer from safe face syndrome a lot, especially in those early issues, but damn if he doesn't have a great style.

No idea what the fuck was going on with the coloring though from Zero Year and on. Everything started using almost neon colors. Lots of orange, purple, blue, and greens.

Every series has a different art style marvel and dc hire fill in artist that are similar to the main pencilers so readers don't get too mad

honestly I really liked the coloring in Zero Year it worked very well with the story and setting

Wait which one are you saying Burnham is

Because he's neither of those

I like Capullo a lot but the best? Really?

>DC house style in the past 10 years went from the Neal Adams tribute band (Reis, Van Sciver) to Image Founders cover outfit (Booth, Rocafort, Finch) to 3D Max brigade (Janin, Fabok)

THANK YOU

People have said I'm talking shit in the past, but it's EXACTLY this!

I didn't necessarily dislike it, and it fit really well with Zero Year. Seemed like an effort to homage the colors from Year One and the golden age issues, particularly Year One with its heavy use of yellow, orange, and purple. It just seemed weird when it continued on after that.

I'm of the opinion that 90% of DC's more boring art would look infinitely better without shit colorists who rely on gradients, soft shading and Photoshop lens flares for most of their coloring.

Shit fucks up nice inks so bad.

It really only works on Grayson. Everywhere else it's been terrible, but he made it work for that book.

His art is so freaking lifeless and I seriously can't stand it.

Are you a troll? Chris Burnham is anything but anyone's house style.

He's getting progressively better, though. I'm actually kind of interested in his Batman stuff.

It's funny because both Marvel and DC have worked so hard to veer away from solely house style art in the last five years. Before Flashpoint, you could point to 90% of DC's output and it'd all look exactly the same. Now I see their catalog and about half of it experiments in some way or another.

>Blaming the colorists.

My thoughts exactly. I had to go back and double check that Doug Mahnke even drew some of the New 52 Justice League because the colorist fucked up his work and made it completely unrecognizable.

You probably can't even name 5 good colorists, stop talking about shit you don't know.

>So weird to see Sup Forums loving on him

It's Sup Forums's pro-DC bias in action. He is literally DC Greg Land.

House of Penance is great though.

It's more like the writing in Grayson is fine so they'll make excuses for the art. Don't bring company wars into this, you tremendous idiot.

No company wars, Land works for Marvel now, Janin works for DC, both companies make terrible decisions.

>how come ______ hires shitty artists?
because they work cheap, fast, or they're a friend

So it's true then? everyone that does work for both DC and marvel turn out better work at DC? because if you're telling me Janin is the equivalent to Marvel's Land then boy...Marvel sure has it rough with artists...

>Don't bring company wars into this
This IS a company wars thread. Frustrated little drone used to make these kind of threads all the time until he'd get shut down with examples every time.

Pseudo-realism is what most comic readers want.

Both companies have great artists, but for the most part they're doing the not so popular titles.

I hate how Sup Forums praised the lifeless artwork in CWII #1, I don't know if Marquez uses any tool assistance, but the guy can't make his art more stiff and lifeless if he tried.

>Sup Forums praised the lifeless artwork in CWII #1
You've gotta be kidding me. Marvelfags seriously need to get their heads checked...the fact that you continue defending the shit they feed you is the reason you keep getting shit. Things won't improve if you don't put your foot down.

>most mindless capeshitfags
fix'd

It's a case of "this artist draws pretty people and it makes my dick hard".

Most people on Sup Forums think good comic art consists of drawing pretty faces and big tits.

But he doesn't fucking draw pretty faces either. If you were to say Yu then I at least could see your point

>bitches about "house style"
>post a picture that isn't house style

Wew lad you are retarded

"most mindless capeshitfags" makes up a larger percentage of the market than everything else, therefore his original post stands.

>posts a picture that isn't house style
>says DCYou had house style all around
>over 50 replies
Or is he?

Nah, he does, everybody looks like they spent 2 hours in make up, even the guys.

It's like the most easily digestible art, for casuals to latch on to. I mean, it's the correct decision, you have to put your most accessible artist on your most accessible product.

Same reason why hacks like Finch and Jim Lee keep getting work.

You can have accessible artists that are good though. Look at Fabok, he does nothing special with his layouts and his style is pseudo realism, but his art looks good unlike Finch or Marquez.

the monthly floppy portion of the market, which is ever dwindling

This is probably six people complaining mostly about a few artists on DC books, and some Marvel bitching - if this thread was active, you'd feel it. This is just bored people and a lousy catalog at the moment.

>Fabok

Another pin-up artist, he's essentially Jim Lee 2.0.

He's got the exact same problems as Marquez: it looks like he's taking screenshots off of a movie. They look impressive, but there's no movement between panels, the art barely, if at all, enhances the storytelling.

It sure looks cool on it's own, though.

Fabok just draws faces over models.

It really is not that hard to tell when a body is taken from a stock 3D model

His characters don't look nearly as stiff though.

THIS

Yeah, well floppy sales is what keeps the lights on.

Sure, that's completely fine. That just makes him a superior pin-up artist.

There's a huge difference between a good comic artist and a good pin-up artist: you can rarely find a good page from a pin-up artist.

With pin-up artists, you can pull off almost every panel from a page they draw and make it into a poster, but you can rarely pick two or more consecutive panels that grab you.

Look at this (and I keep pulling examples from this comic because I don't know if I have any other Fabok files around), it looks JUST like a storyboard. That's exactly how a movie with this things happening would be filmed, and that's a huge problem, these guys don't know how to draw comics.

>That just makes him a superior pin-up artist
And that was my point. You can hire "pin up artists" as you call them, but at least have the common decency to get someone that half tries like Fabok instead of Finch, Marquez or...fucking Dillon.

They're using it on appropriate books though. Would you read Hellcat if the art was different?

Well I'm not reading Hellcat as it is.

That's my point. They aren't banking on you doing so. Some books are aimed at one demographic, some others. They aren't putting the Hellcat artist on Spider-man.

Were we talking about some other market? I could have sworn this was about the comics market, of which the largest portion is capeshit, and of which pseudo realism is desired by the largest portion of the market.

>Fabok instead of Finch, Marquez

They're in the same category to me, non-storytellers.

If you're talking about Steve Dillon, I would 100% have him on any comic before those 3 or their clones. When he tries, because you're right, sometimes he doesn't try, he's very good.

Yeah, Hellcat's aimed at a demographic that doesn't exist in the comics industry outside of patreon donations to their favorite webcomic artist, a lesson Kate is fast learning.

Well, I'm not reading much of their titles as it is, so...not like they're using their good artists on better titles...

easy, because it's safe. It is the least likely to turn people off and they don't want to take big chances with their big titles. You look at their titles that aren't Batman or Spiderman etc. or major team books like Avengers or JL and you have a ton of variety of styles.

>When he tries
So...never?

user do you want to actually take part in this conversation or do you just want to pout like a five year old

Sure, but one set of titles is failing because it's aiming at more Sup Forums-type readers and not reaching them. The other half are hitting the readers they were intended to hit.

It's like being mad that the disney channel keeps making programming. It's not always for you.

Don't get mad about the art on Hellcat. Get mad about books you feel like you would buy if the art or writing was better.

He's done some amazing stuff, try his 2000AD material for example.

>Get mad about books you feel like you would buy if the art or writing was better
so...their entire line?

If it's doing poorly, then that sucks for the people creating it and reading it. I'm just saying it's a zero-loss proposition for other demographics. Would you rather creators you like were being wasted on a title with sensibilities you don't enjoy?

You don't have to read every comic Marvel publishes any more than you have to read every book Random House publishes.

Not really. If Hellcat was a better version of itself, it would still be doing all the things it tries to do. It would just be succeeding in them. You could easily not like it.

It's worse if you really love Spider-man and would really love the kind of stories ASM was trying to tell or had told in recent memory, but they were trying and failing to execute them.

>It's worse if you really love Spider-man and would really love the kind of stories ASM was trying to tell or had told in recent memory, but they were trying and failing to execute them.
but...that is what they're doing.

Sure, so get mad about that and not Hellcat. That's anger inefficiently spent.

Kate Leth didn't make Spider-man a billionaire.

Janin's kind of lifeless, but he handles scene composition so damn well that he makes up for it.

He's the opposite of a Deodato or Land in the sense that he has actual storytelling skills, so Sup Forums's cool with him.