JSA Storytime: Suicide Squad

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

We missed this, so hey, time for COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/29564-rebirth-revisits-classic-era-in-legends-of-tomorrow-4-preview.html
ign.com/articles/2015/08/04/the-high-cost-of-war-marvels-500-civil-war-box-set
dcinthe80s.blogspot.ca/2016/05/steve-lightle-talks-about-his-1987-run.html
batman-news.com/2016/06/07/j-k-simmons-mustache-justice-league/
youtube.com/watch?v=vdQLaHEpx9w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is a whole lot of chin happening on this cover.

Neat

I forgot Legends of Tomorrow was coming out this week, I am excited for Sugar & Spike

newsarama.com/29564-rebirth-revisits-classic-era-in-legends-of-tomorrow-4-preview.html

>dat moe Hal
>dat Itty
>dat Ma Hunkel display
>dat digging through obscura for fun stuff thank you based Giffen

Man I didn't even know this was a thing. Get hype.

Look at that outfit.

S&S is really well done and Bilquis Evely is a gem who should get more work.

I actually own this floppy, thank you random bins

>Kupperberg Patrol
>hype
No.

Oh hey, New Avengers out tomorrow.

Al Ewing can't save this entire stupid fucking event from itself, but he'll do his damnedest.

I'm still losing my mind over Marvel ignoring Coates and Bendis "anti-thanos missile" shit.

Hello Storyteller.

>COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS
The irony of course is that comics haven't been kid-friendly in ages.

>Doom Patrol
Oh for fucks sake.

>Bilquis Evely is a gem who should get more work.
She really is, I'm not sure what else she's done other than this & Shaft but S&S looks so good

this spread is overlapped, sorry about that, but these are really quite nice scans of old print

Also, let's just say that Sandinistas/the US is a complex political situation, to put it mildly

>"anti-thanos missile"
my siiiiides

Yeah, very good artist.

Hawk, you're not crazy powerful enough to go rogue and enforce things like Nate is.

I think she did some Bombshells, too. But they'd be dumb not to offer her more, when Keith Giffen likes your storytelling chops you're doing good.

1. where'd he get it on short notice, does he just keep it on hand

2. an anti-thanos missile of all things preceded by tony refusing to upgrade his BFF's armor

3. you fucking hack, bendis

4. Rhodey as a death choice really lacks any punch when he's barely been in anything for... years.

I'm still losing my mind over them making an event in like three months just to put one issue out the same time as the movie and then admitting it in interviews like it's no big deal

just what

Hey, fuck you, DP is great, just not this one.

Giffen likes Scott Kolins a lot and collaborates with him often but he's super underrated...

>Hawk, you're not crazy powerful enough to go rogue and enforce things like Nate is.
Haha! And yet...

>Nicaragua
>US's Backyard

Hank you goddamn bootlicker.

That menace.

She does these historical sketches for warm-ups, they're fucking gorgeous. Would love to see her on something fantasy.

I listened to a podcast interview with the guy who owns Big Bang Comics today and he said there's tons of Suicide Squad trades out and they've all been selling really well, and that Millar's Civil War was their top Marvel seller last year, but putting CWII out AFTER the movie was a huge mistake because the hype is already dead

Everything about Civil War 2 that we've heard the behind the scenes stuff about just confirms that nobody at or near the top of Marvel has any sort of concept of "this looks bad."

Brevoort talking about "yeah black heroes die all the time in our events, huh? but this time we promise it's good", like, dude.

I'm not even surprised at this point really, it's sad though

We Ronnie again

that hair

It's fucking crazy. This stuff has repercussions down the line, and I wish I knew exactly what TNC said to them about Rhodey.

Power is all about will, OP. Surely magenta husbando man has taught you that?

>If you won't rape the Joker Batman, then I will

And people shat on BatGordon for being too fit for his age.
Also source?

Is that Schillinger???

After something like that, I can't imagine him working for them for long. He's so much bigger than all of them and if he can't get any kind of respect, you'll see some McDuffie or Priest style heat thrown their way. It's not like this is his only job and he has to please everybody so to not burn any bridges.

It was their best selling trade last year in bookstores according to the Bookscan list.

>46,652 CIVIL WAR TP MILLAR MARK MARVEL COMICS GROUP MARVEL Apr-07 CGN004080 9780785121794 Trade Paperback $24.99 $1,165,833.48

I wish that was enough for them

No, you prag.

TOO BRITISH TO LIVE

Coates revealed that when Marvel approached him he told them he loved Spider-Man and their response was "Nah... how about Black Panther?" Same old Marvel.

I would absolutely love to see the reactions of MCU fans to that garbage.

Well user SOMEBODY thought it looked bad enough to leak it four months early. And bless them for it so we'd be prepared for how bad this whole thing is.

I really wanna know who it is. An editor, fellow writer, an intern, etc...

I dunno, something about the Doom Patrol just rubs me the wrong way. They're all super serious, broken people who act like a surrogate family. But then they all come off as dumb superhero parodies and fight stupid shit like the Brotherhood of Dada. Pick a tone and stick to it.

ign.com/articles/2015/08/04/the-high-cost-of-war-marvels-500-civil-war-box-set

Fansided reports that the box set, coming just in time for the Captain America: Civil War movie, will retail for $500. That money will get you a total of 11 hardcover volumes, spanning 100 issues of comics in which superheroes punch each other.

The full list of included volumes is:

Civil War Prologue Premiere HC
Civil War Premiere HC
Civil War: Avengers Premiere HC
Civil War: Fantastic Four Premiere HC
Civil War: Frontline Premiere HC
Civil War: Marvel Universe Premiere HC
Civil War: Spider-Man Premiere HC
Civil War: The Underside Premiere HC
Civil War: X-Men Premiere HC
Civil War Aftermath Premiere HC
Civil War Files Premiere HC

The Civil War story arc centered on a rift between Marvel's iconic superheroes, over the Superhero Registration Act. Following a tragic accident involving amateur superheroes, the government pushed for an act that would force masked vigilantes to register their real identities, causing a split between those who fought for privacy, led by Captain America, and those who felt an obligation to obey the law to make civilians feel safe, led by Iron Man.

Last year

Mai husbando has people skills and subtlety, though

that fucking show, man

siiiigh.

I am dying to know, too. It was so accurate, it had to piss off/freak out the brass.

It's actually weird because even if they wanted to give him token black characters Miles is like so much more in line with what Coates investigates and writes about that BP is. Coates' perspective is fairly pessimistic; BP's afrofuturism has an inherent optimism to it.

The Buy Pile Guy is really down on TNC BP because it's entirely too realistic/gritty and he wanted shiny afrofuturism; but he was also really mad at everything Hickman did with/to Wakanda

Ain't nobody taking Miles away from Bendis.

That motherfucker will keep us in filler hell forever.

In DC talk: Odds that Rucka retcons the amazon nonsense?

yeah but BP has a movie coming and Miles doesn't, so

MCU fans are the lowest common denominator...

Bendis probably won't let anybody else write Miles until he's done and the dude writes characters for like 4 or 5 years at a time.

>Pick a tone and stick to it.
Yeah nah, fuck that. That they're stories involves a range of tones and experiences is a strength, and it's one that's been present since Drake Arnold.

High odds on Rucka, and no one is taking Bendis' toys away from him until he's completely done. He'll probably write that Jessica Jones book too.

I...I have no idea what's going on here.

The nice thing is that unlike other characters of his, there's no way he'd be allowed to kill him outright to go "nobody can play with my toys now".

Comics fans wanting only their specific theoretical book? Say it ain't so!

Marvel will never learn

There is one tone though. The Morrison run at the very least picks a tone and sticks to it, more than 90% of superhero comics these days with all the snark and joking on top of crumbling schools and dead children and after just two pages ago you showed characters crying and being scared.

>and he said there's tons of Suicide Squad trades out and they've all been selling really well,

Neat.

Someone should have told him NO about Victoria Hand.

Didn't he write Ult Spidey for like 10 years? no way he's spending any less than a decade on Miles

hey thread

Also in that big interview Coates' did there's one point where he talked about as a kid/young teen liking and investing in these characters he didn't even see Peter Parker in terms of race and I found that a really great and affirming thing to read.

>Hey, how about you do some things for us, and maaaaaybe we might line something up for you

i want him to have a starring movie now. goddamn. Superheavy movie plz

Buy Pile Guy also really liked New 52 Mr. Terrific, so I think, to be blunt, he's likely to give a pass to any black dude books that kind of hit his tone/style reqs. We read that book. It wasn't good.

Was there much salvageable there?

Kupperberg's Doom Patrol was a mess. Steve Lightle drew the first 6 issues and jumped ship at his first chance

> "When I finished the pencil art for issue #1, I told the editor that we had to get going on issue two. He answered that Kupperberg had already written three rewrites and was working on a fourth. I wasn't able to see the scripts or discuss them with anyone.When I finally got the final draft, I was supposed to look it over and give my input - but instead I was told that there was "no time". I was given seven days to draw the whole issue. That is when I was informed that DC had added it to the schedule without communicating to the editor - a story which I don't believe for a minute.

dcinthe80s.blogspot.ca/2016/05/steve-lightle-talks-about-his-1987-run.html

I still have hope for Wacky Raceland

It's such a weird thing to see in action, just "do you have any fucking idea who you're talking to." In a flawed comparison, it'd be like if they got JK Rowling for a book and when she picked her favorites, Marvel goes "Mmmm, maybe if you work REALLY hard..."

IIIRC, Sana Amanat recced Coates to Alonso, and for all his talk about diversity lately he doesn't seem to be plugged into the modern day, at all.

HI user

Hand's a fine supporting character who'd been through some crazy shit you could draw on, he killed her so no one else could use her

jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

In matters of taste... Personally, I don't like Hickman at all so I can kind of relate.

>In DC talk: Odds that Rucka retcons the amazon nonsense?
High. The murderzons are definitely going away.
>The story keeps changing.
Not sure how exactly, but it's already easy enough to get rid of since despite so much praise from Azz-fags, the idea went absolutely nowhere.

Speaking of which, anyone else damn tired of hearing idiots bitch about how this was a good idea because "the Amazons were all perfect and flawless before"? I swear, it would literally kill these people to read a book.

jesus christ.

I'm sure it was something he came up with later but I've seen stories of Stan saying that's why Spidey has the full face mask, so anyone can identify with who's under it.

A SHIELD person who's not Fury Jr, Hill, or Quake if nothing else.

but he has hip hop on his ipod!

Hopefully not for its sales, Dave.

One of Wonder Woman's many ongoing problems is perception, and DC and WB taking a very, very long time to try and counter it in any significant manner.

But who can compete with the sheer brilliance of Dan Slott, user?

>It's such a weird thing to see in action, just "do you have any fucking idea who you're talking to." In a flawed comparison, it'd be like if they got JK Rowling for a book and when she picked her favorites, Marvel goes "Mmmm, maybe if you work REALLY hard..."
>Well, I always liked reading about Wolverine, maybe I could--
>You want to write Scarlet Witch? Great! We're thinking about revamping her as a young adult who goes to a school run by a witch for help with her powers. Interested?

I was pretty sour on Hickman Avengers, but it was something about the way he kept framing it that was very "stop making things I don't like happen to my characters who should be curbstomping everything that comes across their paths"

Weeeelll, there's

>Writers say there's no conflict if the Amazons are perfect. Bullshit. The conflict is btwn them & US. *WE'RE* the villains in #WonderWoman

I think it's dumb for a whole bunch of reasons. But a big one for me is it's already there in myth and whenever you do myth in comics it has to be at least as interesting as the actual myth, or there's no point and you should be mixing it up. The DC amazons have tons of built up sci-fi and societal madness that you can play around with, and to ignore that and copy off some 2000 year old Greeks is weak shit.

I think we all know ever title but Scooby Apocalypse is gonna sink like a stone.

Scooby-Doo is unkillable.

this story sucks, guys. And it's 48 pages long.

I think Future Quest will do alright

Wacky Raceland and Flintstones are probably not going to do so hot

Yeah, I don't know. It was just pretty warming. If you're writing these stories for American kids that is as good as it gets from a minority kid, right?

>I'm sure it was something he came up with later

According to Steve Ditko , and this is second hand from Jonathan Ross and Neil Gaiman, the mask was because of how young Peter was. Ditko believed no one would take him seriously if they could see his face and realize he was in high school

ok you are correct but i'd murder to read Wanda's School for Gifted Youngsters

batman-news.com/2016/06/07/j-k-simmons-mustache-justice-league/

Aren't there like three Scooby books now? Scooby is a juggernaut

Takes me back to some of the Earth One discussions. Some people thought Morrison's Amazons were too perfect and others felt they were too flawed especially in how they reacted to normal human women. Can't really please everyone I guess even when you do an even portrayal.

>The DC amazons have tons of built up sci-fi and societal madness that you can play around with, and to ignore that and copy off some 2000 year old Greeks is weak shit.

This was my issue with it. It's really boring.

No Peacemaker, see. We'll never get that Peacemaker/Duchess first date (and last date) comic.

>but he has hip hop on his ipod!

And he's Mexican or something!

And Looney tunes is been running since 1994.

holy shit

>"stop making things I don't like happen to my characters who should be curbstomping everything that comes across their paths"
lol even people that think they like that shit don't, dude needs to move beyond his gaia online days

No way would Beecher have been able to shit on that guy's face

>Scooby Doo has as many ongoings as Batman

That'd be hilarious, if only because recent art makes her look like she's trying to passively seduce some of her teenaged acquaintances.

Flintstones could become cult.
Wacky Raceland has an uphill battle.

And so many series since its inception.

I see Roshi is preparing for the next Tenkaichi Budokai

yeah people don't get Charlie Brown is never gonna kick the football.

>Flintstones could become cult.

WORSHIP FIRE
PRAISE RECORD PLAYER

There is a tone. I'm guessing you've never heard of Dadaism, Surrealism and dream theory.

>>Writers say there's no conflict if the Amazons are perfect. Bullshit. The conflict is btwn them & US. *WE'RE* the villains in #WonderWoman
More Twitter nonsense? The Amazons' major recurring flaws are their paranoia, isolationism, and the fact they still somehow worship the Olympians. All of these have been major sources of conflict throughout WW's existence.

You user, are speaking my language. There's 75 years of comics to draw from. Writers should do their research and use those elements.

WWEO did that, and it was great. Sad how Morrison of all people managed to write a solid Wondy story. Dude actually looked some shit up.

youtube.com/watch?v=vdQLaHEpx9w

We should all thank god the X-Men have never really gone for realistic sexual politics in academia.

There are those who, going especially Golden Age, view the Amazons as a Utopia who have sent their best out to help us, yes.