Civil War II - Gods of War 001 Storytime

I didn't really want to read anything from this shitty event, but apparently I have to if I want to know what's happening with old Hercules.
So here we go.

>Amadeus and Herc back together
Fuck yeah

Goodbye Abnett, you tried to rescue cosmic marvel but it was too late

>Amadeus not trusting Herc
Well this is bullshit

Actually there was an event where a lot of people were a hulk. Even the Ultimate universe did that.

I don't know who half these people are. And the ones I do know are already in the book

CHoulk wasn't warned of the attack either, yet he's one of the first people I'd call in case of catastrophe.

I don't think many in the hero community trust Cho either

Jen, I guess.
Trusting a Hulk, any hulk, is always a liability.

Well, no. Every time you fought fate in classical mythology, it just came true in an unexpected way that screwed over whoever fought it.

Yeah but that didn't stop them from doing it again in the next story.

It's a shame Hercules didn't sell better and Abnett went DC exclusive. The book had a good thematic foundation and I really liked what the ideas he was playing with.

Is it true that the other heroes don't want him around and that he's an embarassement?
(as a reader I'm much more entertained by fun, hedonist Hercules that by sad, responsible Hercules)

for all other book''s virtues, its really forcing down this uncharacteristic Herc

He's unapologeptic boisterousness is meant to be a reflection upon society...

As fun as he is to read about, Herc is probably a chore to be around. He got kicked off the Heroes for Hire because of how much he kept drinking.

OUCH. I know that feel herc

The black guy is Sigurd, the First Hero of Asgard. I guess that makes the blonde chick Lorelei, Enchatress's kid sister

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about Sigurd and his new fuckbuddy. I'm more interested in who the dude on the bike is

Day is to die for, eh Jen?

I'm hoping a former Ghost Rider, or maybe post secret war Ares?

I do hope that Ares gets to do something after Contest of Champions, but I don't think that's him

Hazmat wants the D

Well, as shown here it seems that lack of faith is caused by a curse

maybe one of the canadian gods?

Man, I kinda wanna fuck... all of them. What an odd boner inducing line up.

All that missing is Damian Hellstorm

No, I'm not forgetting Namor. it's just that I'd just be jealous all the time if he was there

I actually liked this. I just hope they don't find themselves not having enough chapters to work (since if I remember correctly this series will only have 4 numbers and they have just "wasted" one of them in the preparation)

However, am I the only one that thinks that, without his "helmet", Herc looks like a /fit/ Jesus drawn that way?

Carol hunted down Cho down during Time Runs Out, maybe she vetoed him.

Rhodey and Jennifer

POTTERY

Finish it! Also is there more?

I did finish it, that was the last page

Next issue! I never get to finish Herc books >=(

>Sun Wukong
Now THAT'D be a party

Next month mate

Wait Herc had new books? Woot Woot!

Are you being serious? Herc had an ongoing that started like, a year ago. Have you not read it?

>it's a mini that had nothing to do with a big even but got shoehorned in at the expense of the writing episode

>herc
>god of war

fuck off

Fuck NuMale Hercules. I want old Hercules back. He's not even Hercules then ffs.

I'm on the exact opposite end. I think Abnett didn't Herc at all and kept trying to recharacterize him in a way that didn't work. Plus he has this weird obsession with making Herc an alcoholic.

I know "ain't muh [blank]" is pretty easy criticism to shoot down, but this Herc sucks so much compared to the Incredible Hercules run which managed to build on his previous characterization instead of trying to tear them down.

*didn't get Herc

And people wonder why it sold so horribly. I guarantee most Ares fans don't even know that he was brought back in Contest of Champions and was one of its main characters.

Fate Stay night now

I certainly didn't know. Is Ares fun and great in that book, or is he a sad serious character like Herc in this book?

He's fun and great and the book is cancelled and ending next issue.

DAMMIT

Yep. It's one of Marvel's best ANAD books but everyone assumed it wasn't canon so they ignored it and it sold like shit.

Meanwhile it was 100% canon and featured fan-favorites like Ares, Night Thrasher, and Punisher 2099.

What I don't get about people saying Herc was the first hero is that they've even got him chilling out with Gilgamesh, who came way before him.

To be fair when you relaunch like 50 new books every year I can't keep track of all that shit.

This was really good.

>you fought hate
that's really not true

>I'm putting the gods of war back together
Where's Ares then?

> Fellow gods Gilgamesh and Ire
> Gilgamesh
> God

I mean he did some impressive stuff, but I don't seem to recall him ascending to godhood...

>Marvel editors

He's an alcoholic and still has not grasped the concept of certain things in modern society. He can feel like a burden

he had 3 parents some of them were gods, and after the fruit he became immortal. Around that time he became god.

did he not lose the fruit or am i remembering it wrong

How many titles he started with Marvel in the last couple of years? Im sure they all stopped around 5-8 issues. The worst things is they were all between above average and really good.

he eat a bit, and had the rest to save his gay friend who just died. He went to swim and lay to sleep, and a snake came and ate the rest of the fruit. That is one of the myths that was explaining why snakes are immortal.

It is undoubtedly a change but it's a progression that made sense to me. I'm generally of the mind that subsequent creators shoot themselves in the foot by trying to replicate the magic of other people's work.

>they called literally everyone in herc
>apparently not me who was just feet away from the incident

HERC AND CHO

TOGETHER AGAIN

TOGETHER FOREVER

the first SUPER hero

In Marvel he's even known as the God of Heroes

Well, most likely they didn't know he was there.
And even if they knew, seeing him exiting a pub wouldn't have helped is reputation, since they wouldn't know why he was there

maybe that's him on the phone

but to be fair, Herc and everyone else thinks Ares is still dead

The Gilgamesh/Hercules thing is weird, because Gilgamesh came first, but Gilgamesh inspired the myths that retroactively created Hercules.

So Gilgamesh was created by the Celestials, then Gilgamesh's actions as the first hero inspire the myths of Hercules, the first hero, which rewrites history and makes it so Hercules has always existed since Gods are creatures born of myth and magic.

Gods are weird.

Stuck on Battleworld being Maestro's plaything in his CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS.

The only person that's been able to escape the Contest so far has been Night Thrasher. I imagine Ares might get brought back to 616 after CoC ends but by the time that happens, CWII will be over.

I feel bad for Herc. He's one of the strongest beings and he gets ignored like a third-rate hero.

Thought he was though? Can I get a Herc recommendation list need to ketchup on my bronze God

That really hasn't been a thing until Abnett started treating it like that's always been the case, though...

I mean Herc was an Avenger topped their power charts, along with Hulk and Thor.

Turning Herc into some kind of Charlie Brown seems like such a backwards characterization.

>it's different for gods

>Cu Chu
This is definitely gonna get messy. That dude took on the warriors 3 and Thor at the same time in under 30 seconds (beheadings) and was only stopped since Hogun snuck up on him and smashed him with a car.
He did all this while being (mostly) human.

I'd be fine if they make Herc a bit more responsible but the charm of Herc is how easy going and fun loving he is this New Herc needs to lighten up.

I haven't kept up, but I half-agree. Herc as a rabble-rouser is kind of ill-fitting, since Incredible Herc established this as part of his charm (and he did some growing up in that arc anyway).

However, given that it's expected each new writer primarily focus on their own characterization, it's understandable that Abnett has recast Herc this way. It just goes to show how fast and loose authors can play with their editorial mandate.

Sadly true, but I think I'll follow this there's moments so there's room for improvement.It's not terrible just not quite my tastes which is pretty good for comics.

Or the X-men. Stupid movie politics.

Thats the one thing I don't like about the premise of this run.

The Avengers have literally no reason to balk at a request from Hercules. The Pak run was all about how despite everything, he's a hero. Hell, they literally came to his aid in the Rise of Olympus arc.

Hell, they all saw him save the friggin' universe from Amatsu-Mikaboshi in Chaos War, right? He literally lead all the heroes of earth into battle.

I didnt care until I saw Cho. We based!

>butthurt
>blocked
>unfriended
this is really annoying

why do they do this

He's the God of Social Media.

obviously

but that’s dumb