Hypercrisis thread? Hypercrisis thread

Hypercrisis thread? Hypercrisis thread.

What appeals to you about Hypercrisis?

What do you make of the Gentry appearing in some of the DC Rebirth titles?

What are some examples of some works with some Hypercrisis leanings outside of capeshit? Essentially anything that discusses the relationship between fiction and reality outside of superhero works?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq-_SviLVAhy1xISPECRHxTXQmryaw-xH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The atomic arrangement of the actual real life element Krypton.

The map of the multiverse.

Do you think this was intentional?

The gentry appeared in rebirth?

wow

Read this storytime. It's fairly obvious something funny's going on.

I think either Doctor Manhattan IS Empty Hand, or he's fighting him.

Nothing is intentional, Hypercrisis just is.

See, I'm still not sure on bringing the Watchmen characters into this.

They could've just used the Earth-4 characters.

an AU Captain Atom wouldn't have the same oomph as Doctor Manahattan

What I don't get about this pic is when did Vertigo become a separate universe? During the 80's and COIE Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Sandman, into the 90's with The Books of Magic, they were all shown to be part of the New Earth. Then Brightest Day comes along with a young Constantine and people say the original Hellblazer was a different Earth.

Nice pic, but there's also the Anti-Matter Universe. Fantastic work otherwise though.

I disagree. Most people would be able to tell it was 'supposed' to be Doctor Manhattan anyway. Plus the Watchmen universe is supposed to be its own thing. I don't think it's ever been connected to the DC multiverse until now. And Earth-4 was always supposed to be the 'totally-not Watchmen' universe.

It'd be cool to see those two interact.

The mandala flower

Around the mid to late 90's or so. The split was due to some editorial mandates about what could and couldn't be done in the DCU that were holding Vertigo back.

Then Earth-4 is just an AU of the Watchmen universe, every universe has a multiverse to it and so on and so forth.

>every universe has a multiverse to it and so on and so forth.
Is that how it works?

Why use the filed off serial numbers version when you own the genuine article?

and there is a connection

Is there an in-universe explanation why it's not considered canon anymore? I mean Daniel/Morpheus is in Morrison's JLA so it must still be part of it. My headcanon is that Constantine just used some magic to make himself younger. So far I haven't seen any inconsistency with Vertigo and DC's timeline, they were always one cohesive narrative.

>Why use the filed off serial numbers version when you own the genuine article?
Artistic integrity?

It's how it should work. If we have an AU then the AU must also have AU's and so on. Otherwise their not really infinite.

>Artistic integrity?
>in comics

kek

Did Before Watchmen make you hate the original?

>What appeals to you about Hypercrisis?

Nothing. I just want stories. Not stories about stories and meta shit.

>Did Before Watchmen make you hate the original?
No but it wasn't really necessary either.

comic books in general aren't necessary.

By the same token, no piece of entertainment at all is necessary.

It's not like Before Watchmen was necessarily some great sin against humanity, but did it really need to be a thing?

I guess so

thank goodness we're not utilitarians

It would be like making Citizen Kane 2: Electric Boogaloo or some shit.

Comcis don't have a Citizen Kane though.

Alan Moore would call you a manchild for comparing comics to Cinema

>what is Watchmen

Alan Moore hasn't been relevant since the 80's.

Here is the Hypercrisis Playlist, for anyone who wants to see it.
If you have any suggestions for things I should add to it, just give me a link to the video you want and I'll add it, providing it isn't stupid.

When's the next Morrison thing coming out?

>what is Watchmen

A meh comic.

a good but overhyped limited series

Forgot link, because I'm retarded.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq-_SviLVAhy1xISPECRHxTXQmryaw-xH

go read Heavy Metal

Good shit. I'll check it out later, because I'm already watching/listening to stuff right now.

The Rebirth special came out on the 25th, the reverse of 52.

I dunno why he would, drawing parallels is a harmless exercise.

He needs no excuse to complain. It's what he does. It's in his nature.

btfo

In the sense that the model of the Multiverse was probably inspired by the structure of energy levels in an atomic model? Almost certainly. It's a pretty common sequence in nature, given how entropy works and objects in the universe arrange themselves according to differing gradients.

Johns' one main weakness is that he just can't create OC stand-ins like Morrison to represent the themes that he wants to incorporate. He HAS to appropriate something that already exists, even when he has to hack around the edges to get it to fit.

his weakness is his lack of subtlety

Sometimes that's not necessarily a bad thing. But as Darkseid War proved, he's a much better character writer (working with themes and events on a literal, materialist level) than dealing with big metaphysical cosmic allegories.

I chalk it up to him rushing to finish up and get to his DCEU duties.

I remember hearing Fabok had to a crazy amount of hours to get the art done in time because he didn't want a fill in artist.

still his JL run in general was uneven

Yeah, it bounces from shit at the beginning, to pretty good, to legitimately great with Forever Evil, and I'll defend Amazo Virus too.

Then he just dropped the ball hard with Darkseid War.

The whole run just feels like he had a million and one ideas and either couldn't deliver on enough of them, or just flat-out forgot about them in the rush to get the other characters and ideas out.

im kind of surprised dream and nightmare are different realms, or at least, that Morpheus' Nightmare creatures inhabit a different realm altogether.

I don't think Tynion has the chops for that. It'd be very cool though.

It's likely just notArkham Knight being a shadowy mastermind with plans against Gotham.

Reminder that the Amazo Virus gave us new metahumans across the globe.

I generally find the concept efforts to pump up comics that are not really that good in and of themselves.

Multiversity was a good example of that (there were a couple good issues in there)

>haven't seen Element Girl in years
>Plastic Man never followed up on
>still no Shazam ongoing
>still no Rise of the Seven Seas

Holy shit...

Guys, the multiverse is Krypton.

Think about it. On the Monitor scale the Multiverse is covered in Superman Armor. Superman IS the multiverse because he's the first super hero. He's "the stranger from the planet Krypton"

Krypton was a pinnacle of achievement, a lost paradise, and Superman redeems it by internalizing its virtues in his character and diffusing them throughout the multiverse.

DC comics as a whole is an atom of Krypton, a message of hope and adventure and progress. We are all Superman. We are all the last sons of Paradise. We alone can redeem our lives and make them meaningful and beautiful.

The DC multiverse is a thought-atom of heroism. It reminds me of Morrison's Marvel Knights Fantastic Four where the F4 are described as an unbreakable atom of family.

Stories are like molecules. They combine atoms of Jungian archetypes...and yet the atom contains the whole. It contains its deconstructions and antithesis. It's like a hologram.

Could this be why Captain Atom had to fuse symmetries and combine Superman with Ultraman to wake up the Thought Robot Superman?

Guys this hypercrisis stuff is insane...

I think it was. Given how Morrison loves his holograms and emergent structures and wrote about them as far back as JLA it makes sense that he would base the multiverse on a Krypton atom.

And think about it. What did Krypton do? It exploded, and seeded fiction with Superman.

What does an atom do?

Keep in mind Grant is obsessed with nuclear weapons and the fear it causes. He grew up near an atomic submarine pen. "Before the bomb was a bomb it was an idea. Superman is an idea, but a faster, better, stronger idea than the bomb".

Remember how important atomic bomb imagery was in Flex Mentallo.

This was planned. Multiversity is Morrison's anti-bomb. He's trying to tell us that comics can be inspiring and meaningful beyond being corporate "Gentry" property.

Super Heroes can be as important as the atomic bomb. They can save us from the atomic bomb and our death-urge. They can give us a future that isn't an apocalypse.

It was still one same universe. The mandate was just that the characters handled by the Vertigo team couldn't be used by the DC proper team in any book, the same going for when the DC team was using a character.

For example whenever the Vertigo team were using Zatanna, the DC team couldn't touch her, but when the Vertigo team were finished Zatanna was free to be used by the DC team.

Heck, Constantine showed up in Brightest Day before Flashpoint. The "Vertigo Universe" was pure stupidity.

they wanted their magic wizard to be in a more grounded setting with ghosts and demons and wizards and monsters

The cynical reason is because they want the Watchman dollars.

But I don't see Captain Atom acting like Dr. Manhattan. He's not nearly as big a dick as Manhattan. He was legitimately upset that he killed a dog. Compare that to Manhattan who splattered criminals.

Compare Atom's "It's just not the same" when he puts the dog back together to Manhattan's "a dead body has just as many atoms as a living one".

It would be awesome to see the two interact though, that I agree.

Holy fuck. I remember this thread. It was really one of those magical moments. We read that Kamandi was looking all over a multiverse for his girl named flower and carrying her flower that crossed worlds and then suddenly we realize that there's a third flower involved.

Hokey and sentimental it may be, but fuck if it wasn't touching knowing that the DC multiverse is designed to be a hand across the water from fiction to reality.

Also, reminder that at the time Multiversity was going on the Marvel Universe was reduced to a fucking Risk board. Multiversity just slaughtered Secret Wars.

I thought Detective Comics was filler, while the Batman comics continued from rebirth.

>The cynical reason is because they want the Watchman dollars.
More than likely, yeah.

>It would be awesome to see the two interact though, that I agree.
Definitely.

Have they done anything with the Doom Patrol since they showed up in Justice League?

They sure have not. And half those people won't even be on the team.

It isn't does Tynion have the chops to make one, but do you have the chops to make it into one?

Krypton was discovered on May 30, 1898 by Sir William Ramsay, a Scottish chemist, and Morris M. Travers, an English chemist, while studying liquefied air. Is any of this significant to the DCU?

Vertigo was/is awesome.

But Krypton has 36 protons 48 neutrons and 36 electrons. The numbers don't line up. Krypton also is a noble gas that cannot form bonds and make molecules.

Just putting my two cents here:

I'm no chemist but I do know that Krypton is a noble gas, it's got it's outer shell all filled up naturally, something lesser atoms have to jump through hoops to get. In a similar vein other heroes have to form a team to share their powers and abilities to be able to due what superman can do on its own.

Young Animal will treat them nice. Or at least, I hope so.

>Morris M. Travers
>Morris M.
>Morris Em
>Morrisem
>Morrisen
>Morrison

>it's got it's outer shell all filled up naturally
And the number of electrons needed to fill it naturally? 8.

we're in too deep. i can't even see the surface anymore.

The numbers don't add up precisely, but the valence pattern is awfully similar, especially with eight in the outer shell.

What other elements have eight in the outer shell like Krypton?

You seem to know a thing or two about elements and chemistry, so how would tellurium work? It has the atomic number 52.

>8
>The Number of Marvel Earth
>The logo is in the style of the Fantastic Four
>In Morrison's Marvel Knights Fantastic Four he describes the team as an unbreakable atom of family
>F4 was arguably the first super hero team made from the ground up with a unified origin for all members, reflecting Marvel as the "mechanical" multiverse according to a theory going around the hypercrisis threads.

>7 is how many members were on the original Justice League
>But not really, because Snapper Carr was the 8th. Official member and mascot.

>7 is the unstable number
>7 is a superhero team without its connection to humanity
>The Justice League has been distant from humanity recently. People hate and mistrust them in the movies, comics, and cartoons.

SNAPPER CARR IS THE KEY

The noble gasses do. Noble gases are strong and resilient. Other noble gases are
Helium used for flight
Neon used in lights
Freon used for freezing

Strong, resilient, flight, light beams and ice breath are all Supermans powers.
Superman is noble.

God fucking dammit, why didn't I recognize that. I'm the science teacher over here.

>Also, reminder that at the time Multiversity was going on the Marvel Universe was reduced to a fucking Risk board. Multiversity just slaughtered Secret Wars.

Never forget, the Gentry metaphorically and literally killed the Ultimate universe.

>Superman and the DC multiverse inside and outside him is a noble gas

>His powers can be represented by noble gases

I really fucking dig this. So if DC is a noble gas what would Marvel be?

I've been waiting for a Hypercrisis thread!

Action News from the 1989 Batman
Compare the logo to Ultra Comics emblem.

>What do you make of the Gentry appearing in some of the DC Rebirth titles?
They have?!

>May 30, 1898
>5301898
>5+3+0+1+8+9+8
>34
>3+4
>7

>number of letters in Krypton
>7

>SirWilliamRamsay
>16 characters
>1+6
>7

>MorrisM
>7
>Travers
>7

>studying liquefied air
Quite similar to studying heavy water.

>TheFlash
>7 characters

Yeah aren't they in the same universe now though? I'm currently reading Sandman and I noticed he is referenced here though.

Can Sandman show up in other DC stories or adaptions and games and stuff? I want to see him more.

>83622077
>22077
>77
Holy shit.

>7 is how many members were on the original Justice League
>But not really, because Snapper Carr was the 8th. Official member and mascot.

The original Seven Soldiers of Victory were also a team of seven that had eight members (the eighth being Wing, the Crimson Avengers sidekick). Morrison's Seven Soldiers also had the motif of groups of seven that were actually groups of eight. For example, the Seven Soldiers themselves had the secret eight member of I, Spyder and Zatanna's support group had seven member plus Misty Kilgore.

Did Morrison's Justice League have 7 members plus one rotating one, or six core members plus one rotating one? I forget now.

It is a non metal which according to outer electron shell has properties similar to Oxygen and Sulfer.

>the Ramsay guy is scottish
>Morrison is scottish
>Morris
>Morris Son

>1+8+9+8=26
>two guys, 26x2=52

Do you think Grant has metaphorically had sex with the DC universe?
A fart?

So, any of y'all ever make a hypersigil?

No, only the regular kind.

It came out May 25th

5/25

Isn't that how we got Constantine back?

Why not? Never had the desire? Never gotten around to it?
>how we got Constantine back?
Didn't the new Constantine comic suck? Or is there something else (besides that four episodes of a TV show)? I've been away from comics lately.

How can DC be a noble gas if it's already reacted with other comic universes to create new compounds? (Charlton, Fawcett, National, Wildstorm, etc)

Unless it's Xenon.

Xenon is a slut.

There's gotta be something going on in the JSA storytime threads because we got Legion and JSA announced at the same goddamn time.

>Xenon is a slut.
Say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens.

Thunderbolts also worked, though not so well