twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/740568817626054656
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BOOM

SO: what was good, what sucked, and why, today

I read Wondy and was kind of "okay"

Hello Storyteller.

That cover is ... something.

>Apokolips Now
That pun is almost certainly the deadest horse in the 4th World's history.

The only good Rebirth one shots were the Johns one, Green Arrow, and Aquaman.

I said it in one of the storytimes but they mostly feel like the DCYou previews.

I didn't read Action or 'Tec, but I liked Aquaman, Flash, and Wondy enough. None of those 3 I'd call bad
Tho the Flash artist needs a new inker and to not draw people with crossed arms

Vision was kinda sad today
Her phasing up through the ground from the boy's grave was so creepy

All the Rebirth stuff is very much about saying here is the character and it's just meh. I get they want to explain everything for this do-over but if you're a long-term fan you want to read something showing the character is like you want, not a long illustrated narration where they tell you they are.

Nothing has had much of a good hook so far.

I was so mad about Wondy seeming to do another "wipe it all away clean slate for her" again. And that lettering made it unreadable. I'll give the first Scott issue a try but...

Flash was more fanservice so I loved it. Art is growing on me and the writer seems to like and get the Flash family so I'm optimistic.

New Avengers was a lot of place setting for the new arc.

Vision is still the best book.

i haven't read anything else yet

It was basically just meta posturing and some setup, but I'm still looking forward to his proper run

Flash was alright, kind of clunky in a few places. Aquaman was pretty much just exposition on "who is Aquaman and what does he do" but it had qt Mera so I will give it a pass

>I said it in one of the storytimes but they mostly feel like the DCYou previews.
shit that's exactly how they feel, like extended previews. I'm going to hold off on real judgement until I see the actual #1s

>I read Wondy and was kind of "okay"
It's very obviously just set up. Though I kinda dig the implication that Rucka's going to make the constantly shifting continuity a part of the mythos.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that I was apparently the only one to notice the spoofing of Finch face on this page.

Also that WW issue could have tapped much weirder backstory stuff from her long history rather than Rucka immediately throwing out what he didn't like about recent runs.
>My name is Diana and I... work at a fast food joint?

The Vision was great as usual.

Thunderbolts was bad but better than expected I guess

I think people are overreacting about the WW stuff. I think he'll likely only fix the Amazons.

Thunderbolts has some neat character beats in both this issue and the first one, but as a whole it just isn't good.

favorite Rebirth issue of today.
Flash > Wonder Woman > Aquaman > Detective >>>>>>> Action Comics

Also Sheriff > Vision > rest of the stuff

this art is great

Yeah I think people are overreacting to WW, a lot of it was left ambiguous. Nothing really struck me as clearly being "FUCK AZZ, HIS SHIT'S ALL GONE" like I have seen some folks saying

although even if he was doing that it's par for the course for the character, welcome to Wonder Woman bitches

i'm worried about throwing out the baby with the bathwater i guess? But stuff like crushing Ares helmet just felt like vindictively angry at nu52/Azz Wondy

i expected more superboy prime jokes

>That pun is almost certainly the deadest horse in the 4th World's history.
You're wrong because they made a much worse Out of the Silent Planet one right after

I didn't read Thunderbolts yet but I gather the letters in the back are all ZOMG BUCKY?

I didn't read Flash, either--was it di Giandomenico on art?

Another week, another chance for DC Comics to reprint their Rebirth line. They only came out today…

Action Comics #957, Aquaman Rebirth #1, Flash Rebirth #1, Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 and Detective Comics #934.

Look for them all on the 6th July. They will all feature the original cover but with a recoloured Rebirth banner. Maybe something like this…

I've been gone for three months because I couldn't afford internet.

What did I miss?

Yeah it's really good. Those up-close face shots, and the use of the bars, really gives everything this skewed mad vibe.

New Avengers still having tons of fun and doing more with CWII than the main book ever will.

Wondy is very much the same reaction for me, but damn, some people are really assuming Greg's gonna throw everything out, when it's almost certainly mostly going to be the Amazon backstory to get the most drastic change.

This kinda summed up Wondy for me:

twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/740568817626054656

As in: I get what he's doing, but I would have worked to find a more clever and lively narrative way to do it, I guess, even though I've seen people really happy with his Diana voice.

Ummm: we finished LOSH, and we read this really great run on Captain Atom.

>I gather the letters in the back are all ZOMG BUCKY?
most of them were, it's pretty clear he's the main draw for the book

also one letter was literally "can Bucky and Steve kiss?" why on earth did that get printed

>I didn't read Flash, either--was it di Giandomenico on art?
yep

Captain Atom.

Was that the Greg Weismann run? Fuck.

It's not always pretty, but I usually like his art, so I'll give it a look in a bit.

Yeah, Bates/Weisman. Which means further reading is going to be "How did everyone else fuck up everything good about that run", alas.

RIP

'Tec was way worse than Action but this place has an irrational hateboner for Jurgens so I shouldn't really expect otherwise.

>the chest piece separates

ok

>I gather the letters in the back are all ZOMG BUCKY?

Yeah, pretty much. Even one that was clearly #givecaptainamericaaboyfriendthatisbucky

I didn't mind the art on Flash but the story basically just retold the Johns issue from Barry's perspective. Not bad but I read it already, you know?

>I see you believe random mystic bullshit
>I too believe random mystic bullshit
>let us culturally appropriate each other TO THE DEATH

Oh, also, there's that whole "Captain America #2 gets massive pre-orders", but that's comic shop buying, not actual sales, and I don't think that buzz can last. Turning up the hate machine gets a boost, but it almost never actually nets new readers in any significance, even for an entire arc.

Also, I really, really think the entirety of Marvel and Nick Spencer included has underestimated how much both this twist promotion and Steve in specific are going to eat into Sam's sales.

This is muh Poison Ivy

how was Action? And how was Tec, was it the expected Batfam extravaganza?

What exactly was so great about Action?

It's not irrational. He's literally shitting on Superman and people are accepting it just because they're told it's the one from the continuity they liked despite him acting completely different.

>all those Azz-fag tears
People got absurdly angry at the helmet being crushed. Never mind that Diana herself says she shouldn't be able to do that, and it's the first indicator that something's wrong.

Not even really sure why that was such a big deal. Absolutely nobody did anything with the God of War thing anyway, so even if it got erased, it'd be no loss.

Kirby homage.

'Tec was just ok in my opinion

I don't care about the batfam that much and was more curious to see how Tynion wrote them
Though I've been seeing mixed opinions on it

A lot of people liked Azz's Warbro self-insert.

Giving Cap a boyfriend who's not Bucky is rising on my list of "What I'll do if I ever get to big 2"

I wish Spencer had done more "You know you can always read about the not HYDRA Captain America" trolling.

I think the buzz is working though we'll see in a few months.

christ, why would you print that

Really, there is so much that there was just absolutely nothing done with from that run. God of War shit was clumsily tossed around, co-existing with the Manazons was a fucking Finch nightmare and even Azz's handling of that was last minute glossing over shit, just lots and lots of potential that ended up sitting around like a wet fart. Like being permanently trapped in a prologue.

Why isn't there a Ravan: Mongoose Against Kobra miniseries?

It practically writes itself. It's basically one of those issues where Larry Hama'd have Snake Eyes do a solo commando run against Cobra.

Detective was just introducing the readers to Kate, Tim, Steph and Cass basically. Not bad but nothing particularly interesting happened.

The ending seemed to imply Arkham Knight is the villain? Or at least someone with his exact same shtick.

Why are people surprised Cucka doesn't give a flying fuck about previous run and just wants to write "his Wondy." He pulled that shit when he took over after Jimenez as well. Ignored pretty much everything that came before which I think was a better run. There's a reason Wonder Woman comics don't work and it's essentially this, no writer respects the work of previous one enough and there isn't enough consistency.

Ravan is a crap Thuggee. No yellow strangling scarf, no freaky Kali imagery.

huh, what IS it about the Wondy lettering, but I don't really like it either. The Dr. Fate lettering is also a bit off standard somehow.

That skirt really could stand to be a touch longer, but hey hey, Gold is back.

it's like you don't remember the "Will Darkhawk get to satisfy his long established lust for big beautiful women in Avengers Arena" letter

Legion

Wondy's lettering was very Blambot-y.

Kaijumax was good, as always.

Because we don't get to have cool shit like that

I skipped everything about Arena, dude

MEGA ROD

>Never mind that Diana herself says she shouldn't be able to do that, and it's the first indicator that something's wrong.
This

It wasn't saying FUCK AZZ'S ARES AND THE GOD OF WAR!, it was saying she shouldn't have been able to do that and something is clearly fucked up

>what IS it about the Wondy lettering
it's oddly placed and the font itself resembles comic sans a little too much for comfort?

also unrelated, but the Sugar & Spike story was great today

I wish they keep new 52 tiara.

So many people were mad over that, even though there have been previewed covers featuring that outfit for months, and it honestly being a better costume.

i'm going crazy that no one is mentioning it.

it was hilarious and in issue 1, so i thought it might've been seen in the wild.

>This is muh Poison Ivy
Bondage Queen radfem ecoterrorist?

"Truth is the first casualty of War" was repeated several times and one of the upcoming covers has a very evil looking Ares.

Superman was a retard and if you think about it comic doesn't have an actual plot. Dialogues are awful, voices are awful. Also I found art in Tec better but I'm simultaneously pissed off that Eddy Barrows is wasted there.

Maybe they should try reading Rucka's first run, so they'll realize that he'd like that take on Ares, as it's quite similar to his own.

>"Writer's should never try anything new, and all comics should be exactly the same."
Uh huh.

i kept waiting for the lasso to explode or something

I've seen a lot of Tim and Cassfags bitching about Tec, I guess Batwoman got to boss them around or something

At least Barrows is too slow to do the third arc

IIRC 'Tec is the first book confirmed to have a fill in writer and artist? After the second arc, I think.

Or this

Sex Luthor

Oh shit I totally forgot about S&S

brb

I'm basically hoping that Rucka puts things on an even keel, we get a nice story, and there's shit that's usable and that whoever comes next doesn't get allowed to retcon at will but is required to write a contrasting run.

she's not actually a radfem, Waller calls her on her 'feminism' explicitly

New fans who think Azz is the definitive Wondie run consider an accurate Wondie sacrilege.

Azz WW may as well have been called Wonder Woman Earth One in how much it threw out in favor of a somewhat edgy new interpretation.

Rucka Wondie isn't "his" Wondie, it's how she's fucking been for decades.

Wacky Raceland was fun, but nearly crippled with bad art.
I say nearly because it could still overcome that if it plays it cool in the next few issues.

Also, I have a plane to catch.
Hope to catch these threads next month.

Yeah some Timfags got mad in the storytime thread because Kate tried telling him what to do

Am I the only person who really doesn't notice lettering or fonts?

Thunderbolts continues to be crap, and the letters page was just people going on about Bucky, which makes me sad.

>Ben's face

LOL

Bitch was a marine.

They also made a critical error by introducing such a large cast in an unfamiliar world with nonlinear storytelling. Someone ran it in chronological order and it read better.

I'll do my own chronological order when the second issue comes out.

I didn't even read it yet, but I skimmed the storytime for comments and saw those about the letters, which are basically my worst case scenario

also, fucking Inhumans, no way that's not being dictated by Editorial

Movies were a mistake.

Edge of Oblivion was pretty shit

They finally gave some attention to a few alien lanterns for a few panels who were either new or background fodder, as they died! Guy said a lot of cliche shit! Baz was like "hey maybe this giant tear in space is how to get home???" and nobody else listened, then it had a total non-ending. it also ignored literally everything Lost Army brought up which I now assume will never be resolved, it didn't do anything to answer the mystery of how the GLC ended up in the dead fucking universe anyway, it basically accomplished nothing except having a GLC book on the stands for a few months

Fuck you Taylor

Writers should definitely take note: If your story reads just as well, or better chronologically, bite the bullet and fix it.

Yeah that's why.

You now remember how Tim wasn't even the leader of his group of friends for the longest time so it's not like he should be bossing Batwoman around, lol.

Oh what's happening with the Inhumans now? I just can't even pay attention to them lately.

Yes, you philistine.

I thought she left before like graduating West Point because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

love that that part of her backstory will become more and more anacronist as time goes on

well makes sense, T-Bolts did destroy a bunch of cocoons

Nothing will ever demonstrate that like that Wilson E2 FE issue

I wonder if the could fix it in trade.
All they need to do is move 2 panels and the rest is just pages.

>christ, why would you print that
Responding to trending tweets for that CNN grade populism?

I wouldn't have as an editor.

Man, every fucking Doctor Light page is just a fucking mind dagger right to the hate centers over Doctor Rape.

>Duchess has been faking being single-minded all this time for her keikaku
She's truly a top tier waifu.

Does Taylor have any DC books coming up after that's finished?

Cause I think he has a marvel book or two but I don't want him to go back to DC...

Like, go on about Tim all you want but Kate's an aggressive woman in her mid to late 20s with army service in her history, it's entirely within her character to boss around a babyfaced teenager, prodigy or otherwise.

>Rucka Wondie isn't "his" Wondie, it's how she's fucking been for decades.
This. But good luck trying to tell that to a casual. They will immediately stick their fingers in their ears and say "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU. LA LA LA."

>El Tigre Negro
HA! Amanda, pls.

They were shoehorned into yet another book, Thunderbolts this time. Fucking shithumans, so fucking sick of them.

the cliffhanger for thunderbolts is Crystal and her team showing up all "The fuck did you guys do?!?!?"