Can I watch the other two movies in Carpenters "Apocalypse Trilogy" either way I want?

Can I watch the other two movies in Carpenters "Apocalypse Trilogy" either way I want?

It's not like their narratives rely on one another right? Which is the better film anyway?

The thing is about aliens
Prince of darkness is about the proof of satan
In the mouth of madness is about a story,or maybe a storyteller

They have literally nothing to do with each other than they're all about the world ending.

No one would have ever thought to call them a trilogy if Carpenter didn't.

In all honesty "the world ending" is a very lazy way to end a story.

But carpenter likes to treat his movies more like propaganda films than a "family" movie, and i can understand why he would want to write about ideas that might lead to the end of the world.

Pretty sure they're just horror movies and the world ending is scary

I never understood why The Thing was included, because the world didn't end, if anything Macready prevented The Thing from escaping

Childs was still alive though when the credits rolled and he was the thing

The Great American Action Hero Deconstruction of

1. Escape from New York
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Escape from L.A.

makes more sense as a trilogy than these movies.

Prince of Darkness is one of the few movies I think would benefit from a remake. It has a lot of great elements but it's not that great and for a Religion + Science vs. The Devil movie the science could be done a lot better given scientific and CGI advancements over the past couple of decades. I still love it though. That tachyon dream is still creepy.

Are Mouth Of Madness and Prince Of Darkness even worth watching or nah?

Both of them have great ideas but with somewhat sloppy execution. But they're both worth a watch

Yes. Both are flawed but great and very memorable.

They are very good movies. They tend to be in the thing's shadow even though its only slightly better.

The Thing > Prince Of Darkness >>>> In The Mouth Of Madness.

The script of ITMOM was pretty weak and the female lead was shit. It has some spooky scenes but it's never as tense and engaging as the other two. It's just random crap happening without any real purpose.

in the mouth of madness is the only good carpenter film

What? No. It's as good as it can be as it is and the last thing it needs is CGI.

Only good thing about Prince of Darkness is the dream sequences.

Mouth of madness is one of my favorite carpenter movies.
Prince of darkness has a great set up, but as soon as the green goo vanishes the movie just stumbles the fuck around for the rest of the movie. It's got a great ending though. It suffers from its short production too. Carpenter drummed up private funding and they seriously shit it quick as fuck.
A lot of the comedy is awful, but the whole nature of evil and science vs faith is well played out.

Absolutely. They both feel lower budget than The Thing, but are amazing nonethless.

Mouth of the Madness is the most Lovecraftian and meta, has some moments that are downright horror comedy, a lot of gore and monsters. It's the most generous and the craziest one.

PoD is more of a slow-build atmosphere horror, more subtle, more suggestive. It builds a feeling of complete dread without showing much. Most view it as the weakest but if you love Carpenter, it's the most Carpenter-ish of the three.

I'd also recommend Cigarette Burns, after Mouth of Madness; it's kind of a thematic remake, like Ghosts of Mars remade Assault.

First, I didn't mean a CGI-fest like Transformers or something. I should've just said "special effects", because the possessed woman can look like something other than Pizza The Hut's daughter.

The story was told well, but come on user, that movie could've been done much better. And this is coming from someone who watches it every October. It's in my top 5 Carpenter movies. It's a good movie, but there are several opportunities other than the FX. For one, the characters could've been more fleshed out, especially the sacrificial woman who jumps into the mirror world.

Maybe it could've been made better, but only by Carpenter at his prime. It's too much of a JC movie to be remade by anybody else.

That's true. We definitely wouldn't get a final product that was anything like his original, or even much like his style. The only reason this is one of the few movies I'd like to see remade is because I'd like to see the story play out with a bigger budget. A canister of green demon juice possessing people and turning the homeless into mindless zombies vs. The Church AND science is such a great idea. There's a lot to be mined from that.

And I do realize that the chance of it being shit is somewhere in the 90th percentile. I'd roll those dice. Now, the Big Trouble in Little China remake that was floated around...that's one I would prefer never gets made. Ever.

The concept is great and the dream scenes are phenomenal, its too bad the movie's a piece of shit.

TACO GET THEM GRAPES SMASHED

>questions children ask

we watched them in the order he made them pleb.

>>being this pleb & not understanding everyone was the thing by the end

so sad.

Get back to bed grandpa you're ranting again