ALIEN

> muh nerfed alien

“A careful analysis of both films would show that the adult warrior (my term for the single adult seen in Alien) has the same physical powers and capabilities in Aliens as it did previously. Since the Nostromo crew were unarmed, with the exception of flamethrowers (which we never see actually used against the creature), the relative threat was much greater than it would be to an armed squad of state-of-the-art Marines. One, crazed man with a knife can be the most terrifying thing you can imagine, if you happen to be unarmed and locked in a house alone with him. If you’re with 10 armed police officers, it’s a different story.” - James Cameron

> muh reduced to insects

“I wanted the Alien to be insect-like. Like an ant. Because if you examine an ant under a microscope they’re kind of elegant, and I wanted him to be very elegant and dangerous.” - Ridley Scott

> Aliens is a dumb movie that ruined the franchise

“Cameron, in the first sequel, did about the only thing you could do, which was that he changed to a different genre, from a horror movie to an action film. But once he had done that, there really was nothing left to do in the further sequels.” - Dan O’Bannon

“When Aliens came out I questioned the change in tone and pacing from the original. It was an unexpected surprise to me, as it was for everyone. When I was able to put aside my personal disappointment in not having been asked to work on it, I soon realised that it was the change from the first film which made it an excellent and original movie, not another predictable sequel. It is a movie I’ve enjoyed more and more with every viewing and I consider it among the best action films ever made. And when I heard James Cameron himself designed the Alien Queen I was even more impressed by the talents of this versatile director.” - HR Giger

Alien purists btfo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WsU6yaA0r0w
youtu.be/hkxOG98iBmU
youtu.be/SST5NjFSYEo?t=9s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is a good thread.

2>1>4>3>6(prometheous)>5(covenant)

in order of release

Even Giger recognizes how based Cameron is.

people who don't like Aliens because of the Mother are retarded. Where the fuck else are eggs going to come from? The whole "turning people in to eggs" was convoluted as fuck.

David perfected the xenomorphs out of spite towards his creators and existence. After that it makes sense that given enough time the xenomorphs would begin creating their own- even more so when you see at least 3 iterations of the xenomorphs in the latest film. Which, quite frankly, is something I've always wanted to see more of since aliens.

The xeno in Alien had its body pierced by a hydraulic grappling hook. A gun would absolutely destroy them even in the first movie.

“There were no speculative scenes or discussions about what the Alien was and all that sort of thing either. I believe that audiences love those, especially if they’re well done. They give the threat much more weight. If they make Alien II, and if I have anything to do with it, the film will certainly have those elements in it. From a certain point of view, Alien II could be more interesting than Alien I.” - Ridley Scott

Scott has been wanting to fill in the background details of Alien for literal decades now. Prometheus was his dream becoming a reality.

>finally make dream project true
>it's butchered in the editing room
>refuse to make a director's cut
why?

Maybe it'll come out later. It's not too late.

And I like the theory that the Engineers created the Xenomorphs to battle the Predators/Yautjas.

God, covenant was such a fucking 6

he has a point, the original quote for how a alien sees is something like

"They use the old primordial senses to hunt their prey. Vibration, sound, scent, and .... fear"

>and ... fear

this is a good thread

>when I heard James Cameron himself designed the Alien Queen I was even more impressed by the talents of this versatile director.” - HR Giger

Wow. What a little beta bitch. If someone steals your designs and jews you out of a job you don't fucking compliment them. That's fucking pathetic.

Critics weren't too impressed with Alien upon its initial release.

“Space-age horror film reverts to 1950’s formula story, but adds stomach-churning violence, slime, and shocks. Still, this is some people’s idea of a good time.”
Leonard Maltin.

“An empty-headed horror movie with nothing to recommend it beyond the disco-inspired art direction and some handsome, if gimmicky, cinematography.”
Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader.

“Occasionally one sees a film that uses the emotional resources of movies with such utter cynicism that one feels sickened by the medium itself. Alien … is so ‘effective’ it has practically turned me off movies altogether … The movie is terrifying, but not in a way that is remotely enjoyable.”
David Denby, New York.

“It would be very convincing to say that there’s no hope for movies – that audiences have been so corrupted by television and have become so jaded that all they want are noisy thrills and dumb jokes and images that move along in an undemanding way, so they can sit and react at the simplest motor level. And there’s plenty of evidence, such as the success of Alien. This was a haunted-house-with-gorilla picture set in outer space. It reached out, grabbed you, and squeezed your stomach; it was more gripping than entertaining, but a lot of people didn’t mind. They thought it was terrific, because at least they’d felt something: they’d been brutalized. It was like an entertainment contrived in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World by the Professor of Feelies in the College of Emotional Engineering.”
Pauline Kael.

Its called having honour and integrity to appreciate artistry, something a burger wouldn't understand.

i really hope predators never make an appearance within the canon.

>critics incorrectly panned a good movie in the past
>thus, critics are incorrectly panning a good movie in the present
Nice leap of logic, Cameron.

Favourite scene of Alien?
Mine has to be the Aliens vs the Sentries in Aliens, I felt the same survival feeling of the marines with Newt and Ripley. Being in a small area trying to guard it from monsters.

This deleted scene. It's an interesting concept. Just filmed from the wrong angle. Music and editing were awesome. The idea made it into some comic books and video games though.

youtu.be/WsU6yaA0r0w

What is it doing?

Taking a shit in the hallway

mine was in alien when that retard went into the vent alone with a flamethrower and died instantly

That would be this scene:
youtu.be/hkxOG98iBmU

God tier:
Aliens, Alien

Great tier:
[vacant]

Good tier:
Alien 3 assembly cut, AVP

Meh tier:
Alien R

Shit tier:
AVP 2, Prometheus, Covenant

Mine's when they decide to blow the ship up and split up even though there are only 3 of them left. Ridley Scott was already a senile hack back in 1979 lol!

>not using at least predator tier camera effect vision

That period had alot of great movies that were initially panned by critics, including 2 highly revered horror movies: Alien and The Thing.

>David Denby
Is he /ourguy/?

I wonder in what period of time took place all the missions done by frosty and his team in FOX avp 2 game or capcom avp arcade game with lt. kurosawa

can we make a full timeline of the series?

“What I wanted was to have really huge air ducts – taller, in fact, than the corridors in the ship, so that when Dallas first sees it there, it’s standing on the roof of this giant wind tunnel, suspended upside down. Then I was going to have it roar down the tunnel toward him, running and jumping full-circle around the walls.” - Ridley Scott

Reminder: Had the technology and budget permitted it, the Xenomorph of Alien (1979) would have behaved much like the one in Covenant. The limitations of the time forced Scott and crew to go for the more artistic approach.

That was something else I appreciated about Aliens is they we're often leaping from the roofs and walls.

>Newborn used for 1997 version
????

>Nostromo crew were unarmed
He couldn't even get that right.

>1 laser pistol the idiot didn't even use

This is a promo shot so not sure if it counts but they did have others.

And obviously he never got the chance to use the gun because he got immediately facesat by a fucking alien.

Limitations breed creativity and quality. Removing limits makes a lot of people do bonkers shit.

Maybe he shouldn't have looked into a strange Alien egg.

so do
UNLIMITED
BUDGETS

He was in full space suit, nobody could really anticipate the alien would be able to break through that.

I hope you're not excusing Kane sticking his face into the egg of an unknown alien life form.

Was this backstory not kino?
youtu.be/SST5NjFSYEo?t=9s

I am, he didn't stick his face into it and again, you can't realistically expect something to pop out of an egg and be able to eat through a space suit.

This. So many directors do their best work when they have no money.

Second this. Its why the scene is so shocking too. Humans are in their master domain while in a Space Suit. We're protected from heat, cold, and vacuum while inside one. There should be no safer place.

Name three examples.

But you don't know that in their head they don't get a "vision" of sorts of their surrounding, that's what you are seeing

You are seeing what the xeno perceives, not through some.imaginary eyes

Also it was more than just a yellow filter

nobody ever talks about the complete and utter lack of explanation or resolution for the bonus situation

But why is Prometheus shit teir

nope

He didn't do it out of spite. He did it because he believed they were inferior and he could do better. He felt sympathy for all of the engineers he killed, but thought the sacrifice was necessary to perfect his creation. That is why he was crying while dropping the weapons in covenant's prologue.

Alien is great as a horror movie and Aliens is great as an action movie. James Cameron didn't fuck up the series; everything after Aliens did. Now Ridley Scott is just taking a piss on its grave with every new prequel, turning a series about killer-aliens into a series about a killer-robot.

AVP is barely meh tier at best.

None of that negates Aliens still being a shit movie.

You guys are making a huge mistake in interpreting these criticisms as wrong because a popular movie is now viewed in hindsight favorably. Nothing they say here is wrong. Alien is a largely vapid picture and it was criticized by people trained in a different era of film making. Their standards for film were for a medium that is now dead. Movies are now made for people to tune in, turn off, and enjoy. For better or worse can be someone else's judgment but the era of the blockbuster irreversibly did this to film.

Alien was made for a new era and judged by the standards of the old. That's all.

This

>Limitations breed creativity and quality
Amen to that.

>It is a movie I’ve enjoyed more and more with every viewing and I consider it among the best action films ever made
I agree.

>UNLIMITED BUDGETS
>breeding anything but laziness, misguided efforts and executive meddling rape

what a colossally stupid post

so cool