For the user who wanted book recommendations

For the user who wanted book recommendations.

For warfare, you must read both On War and The Four Generations of Modern War, both by William S Lind. You absolutely must. Some people criticize 4th generation warfare theory as merely describing insurgency, but if that's all it does its obviously the most applicable theory of warfare in the modern day. Optionally, you may also read Victoria by the same author, which is a fictional story, but gives a salient description of 4th generation warfare in the context of a total collapse of America.

You may also read the original On War by Clausewitz, as it's a classic for a reason. Obviously a bit dated though, take that into account.

The USMC Counterinsurgency Field Manual, when paired with a working knowledge of 4th generation warfare, is useful, but (given the real state of the world) clearly missing something. Which is why you need to be reading it in the context of 4th generation warfare.

Is this you secretly trying to start a Victoria thread?

No, I really want to help that guy get into 4th generation warfare, especially because we, on this board, are waging it.

But if you want to make it a Victoria thread, I'm fine with that. I thought it was a great book, and now I kind of wish we could actually nuke Atlanta.

I wouldn't mind if you did

Really, I'm very surprised it's not like the most popular book on Sup Forums. It's literally every Sup Forumslacks wet dream. Christian white males btfo niggers, hippies, mexicans, women, degenerates, avoid the race mixing meme, and end with a new crusade called by Russia.

Seriously, how is this not Sup Forumss favorite book ever?

torrent link?

>William S Lind
come on faggot

how do we get it?

I bought all these books on Kindle.

bought?

dude, that's SOO 3rd generation

I couldn't find them to download anywhere.

But information is free, nigger. You can find the basic outlines of 4th generation warfare on the internet for free anyway, even if not the actual books. William S Lind and Martin van Creveld are fairly prolific writers with a lot of articles on the internet.

Fourth Generation opponents will not sign up to the Geneva Conventions, but might some be open to a chivalric code governing how our war with them would be fought? It's worth exploring.

How U.S. forces conduct themselves after the battle may be as important in 4GW as how they fight the battle.

What the Marine Corps calls "cultural intelligence" is of vital importance in 4GW, and it must go down to the lowest rank. In Iraq, the Marines seemed to grasp this much better than the U.S. Army.

What kind of people do we need in Special Operations Forces? The seminar thought minds were more important than muscles, but it is not clear all U.S. SOF understand this.

One key to success is integrating our troops as much as possible with the local people.

sounds like bullshit

this guy is insane

>Martin van Creveld argues that one reason the British have not lost in Northern Ireland is that the British Army has taken more casualties than it has inflicted.

the way to win is to take more cualties than the enemy? wtf?!?

>One key to success in 4GW may be "losing to win."

are you a fucking troll?

yeah, your a moran

The general idea of 4th generation warfare is that modern warfare is waged much more in terms of morale and moral high ground and such. A little bit of bombing haji gives them the moral high ground, and since we're in their nation and they aren't going anywhere, they have the superior morale. Our massive advantage in firepower does us nothing. Every wedding we bomb just makes us more enemies.

To that end, there are two ways to actually defeat your enemy. Number one, you absolutely annihilate them, bomb them into the fucking stone age, and generally crush them so hard that they can't even think of resisting you any more. This was the option chosen by Rifaat al Assad in the last Syrian rebellion, when he noticed many of the rebel Muslim Brotherhood leaders were meeting in Hama and shelled it for a month straight. This kept the peace for a good long while.

The other option was that chosen by the British regarding Northern Ireland, where they were extremely selective with their attacks despite suffering plenty of casualties of their own. This denied the moral high ground to the nationalists, because they couldn't really rile people up about the crushing oppression of the British when they were being so easy on them.

>Number one, you absolutely annihilate them
this is the right option

the loonies are running the madhouse

I agree, but our leadership isn't going to do it. The course we're on, we are likely to start seeing that as an option, but in the current political climate it just isn't tenable.

this isn't a new generation of warfare, it's an abdication of responsibility, and the result of allowing liebereals to be idiots

fucks sake

"hearts and minds" "lets take more casualties than them!!"

surely you don't belive this shit!?

The important part is, when it comes to counter-insurgency, you really only have two options.

1) All out, brutal slaughter and a willingness to exterminate the besieged population, if necessary.

2) Extremely specific targeted attacks only and a willingness to accept casualties in the besieging force, while winning over the civilian population to your side.

I'm not saying option 2 is the right option, I'm saying it is the only effective alternative to option 1. In better days, the first choice was the one chosen, and that's how Europe conquered the world. In the modern (albeit rapidly changing) political climate, the second choice is the only effective one we will actually choose. We're losing because we're (theoretically) trying to follow a middle of the road approach.

>if you kill your enemies they win
TRUDEAU WAS RIGHT

>winning over the civilian population to your side.
these people haven't studied islam, have they?

desu westernization of ottoman society began when ottoman people saw wounded brit and french soldiers brought back from crimea. This softened their hearts as fellow soldiers who fought with Turks and allowed Western values to enter.

and now look at the state of turkey, should have gone with scorched fucking earth