DC Rebirth thoughts

So with the second week landing, how have you liked/disliked the issues so far?

I think all of it has ranged form okay to great, although my biggest gripe with it all is that they're all just kind of previews.

Also the best one yet is Green Arrow and you're a fool for thinking otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

www16.zippyshare.com/v/2zLA75jZ/file.html
www8.zippyshare.com/v/IIxSTHH9/file.html
www58.zippyshare.com/v/XWsP6Axd/file.html
www117.zippyshare.com/v/SmpEfeOH/file.html
www67.zippyshare.com/v/JhawWcSD/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/yi8Pbg3h/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/mhxceTM5/file.html
www33.zippyshare.com/v/fl3dqs7n/file.html
comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-1/1100-155621/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have honestly enjoyed everything so far. Some range toward meh tier but there was at least something redeeming from every book.

>I think all of it has ranged form okay to great, although my biggest gripe with it all is that they're all just kind of previews.
That's about how I feel. I haven't been turned off by anything but none of them have been super exciting

I liked this week more than last week overall though, Green Arrow aside.

pretty much agree with what you said

Feel bad for Action Comics though, I don't have not much faith in Jurgens

Been away from comics. When did Green Arrow drop?

Also, what is this I'm hearing about John Constantine being back? Like, the old John? Is it for good or just for the duration of a mini-series and then he's gone forever again?

>When did Green Arrow drop?
last week

>Also, what is this I'm hearing about John Constantine being back? Like, the old John?
I don't think so? He's probably still deaged

I haven't outright hated anything yet, but the Rebirth issues so far just feel like a lot of exposition, monologues and set-up.

I really liked Flash's though, it seems like Williamson has a great grip on the concept of the characters even though the art was wonky.

I don't think Vertigo John was canon in main DCverse.

He looked hella young in Brightest Day Swamp Thing mini

A comic is coming out called Constantine: The Hellblazer, with a "Rebirth" after it at least for some issues.

well, time will tell

and I'm dumb enough to give them another shot

There's been a Constantine book consistently for a while now

The current one is called Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good

>Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good

ehhh...

I'm curious what (if anything) it means that they're giving it a "Rebirth" subheading though.

Yeah Action comics was kind of weird, I mean it was gripping sure but Superman just kind totally hating Luthor and not giving him a semblance of a chance just threw me off.
This. I'm more excited for the Flash than i have been in years.

it just means it's part of the relaunch

It means they'll focus on establishing the status quo going forward for that character

>This. I'm more excited for the Flash than i have been in years.

It feels even more refreshing coming off of Venditti's run that ranged from mediocre to outright shit.

>mediocre
I think even that is being generous.

>2 long arcs of evil speedster from the future as the villain
>in a row

>Flash finally gets a decent writer
>Venditti still on GL

Pretty much agree OP. They all feel like extended previews, which is fine for one-shots. I still liked pretty much all of them, even the worst ones (probably Action Comics as my least favorite for me personally) were still fairly enjoyable.

The one thing I dislike about them though is that a lot of these have fill-in artists, so it doesn't really do a great job of being a preview if you can't tell what the art's going to be like now does it?

Either way, after reading 9 (or however many there are so far) books and coming away from all of them enjoying them on some level is a ridiculous feat compared to how often the big two usually pump out crappy/mediocre titles.

>Green Arrow: Rebirth
"SJW" Green Arrow but not really/tier. Also gets together with Black Canary, best part of the book.

>Batman Rebirth
Calendar Man is actually interesting now and hope he comes back in a later story arc

>Superman Rebirth
Doug Manhke's art makes my dick hard but the story was over all decent.

>Green Lanterns Rebirth
Geoff Johns still wanking over his established mythos with Hal Jordan but Sam Humphries is setting up some interesting stuff.

>Aquaman Rebirth
Aquaman is a political figure now, yippe?

>Wonder Woman Rebirth
Art is god awful and story is convoluted as fuck especially for a set up.

>Flash Rebirth
My dick is rock hard over all this Barry and Wally having a dialogue with eachother. Also only Rebirth issue so far to be a direct continuation of the DC Rebirth one-shot. Very excited for what's to come.

>Action Comics
Old Supes is a jerk and everybody loves him.
Lex is just trying to do good but also doing it for all the wrong reasons.
DOOMSDAY AGAIN?!

>Detective Comics
Tynion writing is bland as fuck like always, only interesting character in the team so far is Clayface. I'm not buying a book every two weeks just for one character who only got 3 pages so far.

I've read Flash Rebirth and Green Arrow Rebirth. What else is worth picking up?

I thought Superman and Aquaman were both pretty good.

Green Lanterns if you're a fan of the Red Lanterns. Also Superman Rebirth if not for just the couple of spreads that are just homages to the original Superman Doomsday story. It sounds lame but those three spreads alone are worth the $3.

Flash was the best, Tec has the best art, Wonder Woman was the weakest book so far.

>Wonder Woman was the weakest book so far.
It was very exposition-heavy, but it has me very, very hype.

I want my old Wondy back.

Computer monitors don't do how good these books look in person any justice, just check the corners I've gotten 2 book where the spine is cut along the top from 2 different stores.

Storywise the big beats continuing the Rebirth story happen in Action, Flash and Detective

>If your a fan of the Red Lanterns.

They fucked the Reds. Bleez and Rankor were awesome and they fucked it all up. Rankor gets killed of panal and Bleez is on Atrocitous dick again, even though she outright hates him. Just fuck my Canon up.

Also I'm sure there going to fuck up the good will the Sinestro Corps had just to let Hal have his number one bad guy again.

He was, but Geoff Johns is stupid. Either way you can explain his young looks on the demon blood magic.

Justice League #51 when?

Next week, apparently.

Oh they rescheduled it. thanks

It all looks promising so far. I like that they're putting their best foot forward and allowing their "core" books get momentum before setting other things up.

One interesting thing that I've just now picked up:

There seem to be 3 main groups at the moment for the Rebirth books.

* Batbooks + WW (aka Mark Doyle is group editor)
* Super+GLbooks (Berganza is group editor)
* "Big Leaguers" (Brian Cunningham is group editor) -- currently has Flash, Green Arrow, and Aquaman, all of which are my favorites coming out of Rebirth

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm most surprised at how....imperfect Doyle's books are right now. Out of all of them, you'd expect a lot more cohesion and initial thrust from the Batbooks, but: Batman Rebirth was mediocre as hell, WW did nothing at all except set things up and wag its finger at the two New52 WW runs. 'Tec might have been the only highlight, and even that was just because of Barrows' art.

Berganza's "high flyers" have been a lot better -- or, at least, better than one would expect. Superman and Action Comics avoided big missteps and went for a solid, simple storylines (Superman is really dead; somehow a different Clark Kent is alive; Mr Oz is back; and he's brought back Doomsday, for whatever reason). Green Lanterns somehow came out as a non-trainwreck, and the recent preview for the real #1 looks just as strong.

Cunningham's miscellaneous Leaguers are probably the most guilty of retreading plots/characterizations, but they all have stronger creative teams than they've had in a while. The writers are particularly notable, and the stories they've crafted so far for the characters (GA's back-to-left story; the tragic tale of Aquaman's place in the world; Flash's juggling of responsibilities) are as poignant as ever. Plus, it'll be interesting to see what's different and what's the same in these stories.

Getting back into comics starting with DC Rebirth after about a year of reading almost literally none.

>The Flash Rebirth
Digging it. This was the first Rebirth comic I read, and I'm glad I started here. Seeing Barry remember Wally, and knowing a lot of the old shit is probably going to get merged with (or maybe replace) the new, makes me pretty optimistic about the rest.
>Green Arrow Rebirth
Ollie is still just kind of liberal-y, not the straight up left wing radical he has been in the past. Liked seeing him admit his flaws. I hope they reference him liking chili sometime soon.
>Wonder Woman Rebirth
Not a lot happened in the comic action/plot-wise, but a lot of clues were laid out that I hope will come together really well. I'm actually really excited about this.
>Superman Rebirth
I was a bit lost about who this alternate universe Superman is. Or if he's the Clark we know, and the one we died is an alternate Supes? Someone please clarify for me.

About to read Aquaman Rebirth now.

Superman is the Superman from pre-flashpoint, but based on the DC Universe one-shot, is actually the "real" superman, and the one we've been following as the post-flashpoint superman is someone else.

>based on the DC Universe one-shot, is actually the "real" superman, and the one we've been following as the post-flashpoint superman is someone else.

this is a fan theory, by the way

The DCU Rebirth Special didn't hint that either Superman was real/fake. Just that they weren't who they thought they were.

Batman and Green Lanterns were the weakest books, at least for me.

Batman addressed nothing and I couldn't care less about Baz and Cruz.

Combine it with the 10 years thing though

here.
>Aquaman Rebirth
Interested to see where this goes. Felt almost more like an extended teaser than an actual comic, much like WW did.

Now I'm going to find Green Lantern Rebirth.

>DC found a way to release back-to-back #1s of the same book in the same month
How jealous is Marvel right now?

>, I mean it was gripping sure but Superman just kind totally hating Luthor and not giving him a semblance of a chance just threw me off.

I suppose it could have emphasized a little more that he was pissed off by the fact Luthor had taken his family crest and proclaimed himself as the new Superman twenty minutes after Nu52 Superman had died.

Action Comics has got my attention. And yes Lex deserves to have Superman breathing down his neck. This isn't some down on his luck d-list villain, this is a proven psychopath in every universe.

Flash just benefits so much from dealing with continuity shit, and I like how Barry prefers to look at Batman as a partner in forensics.

I like how Aqua Man is one of the only books that doesn't want to skip a beat from the previous New 52 stories. Mera's best wife.

The Detective Comics writer looks like he's going to have fun with Clayface but it's a tall order writing all these popular characters with really stingy fanbases. Putting Steph and Cass fans in the same room too?

Wonder Woman left me cold. I like that it's dealing with Rebirth confusion but it felt like he was laying it too thick.

DC Universe - Rebirth 001 (2016) (4 Covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
www16.zippyshare.com/v/2zLA75jZ/file.html

Batman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www8.zippyshare.com/v/IIxSTHH9/file.html

Green Lanterns - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Thoth)
www58.zippyshare.com/v/XWsP6Axd/file.html

Superman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
www117.zippyshare.com/v/SmpEfeOH/file.html

Action Comics 957 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
www67.zippyshare.com/v/JhawWcSD/file.html

Detective Comics 934 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/yi8Pbg3h/file.html

The Flash - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (fixed) (Minutemen-Slayer)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/mhxceTM5/file.html

Wonder Woman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Thoth)
www33.zippyshare.com/v/fl3dqs7n/file.html

Green Arrow was the best, Aquaman and Wonder Woman were close seconds. (Though I'll admit I've never read a WW comic before. EO and Perez are on my reading list, but I have a lot to burn through).

Flash > Action Comics > Aquaman > Superman > Green Lanterns > Wonder Woman
didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW Sup Forums outrage, even though Sup Forums apparently likes it now.

Also, I'd put Batman between Superman and Lanterns

From what I've read, I don't think most of the Rebirth issues are indicative of what the actual runs are going to be like. That said:

>Batman
Entirely forgettable, although I feel like the first issue was more Snyder than King. Will probably get better when he starts doing his own shit.

>Aquaman
Meh. Basically just a primer for people who don't know shit about Aquaman. Abnett's writing has been hit or miss on his few issues so far, but I'll give it a chance. On a side-note, the WORST Aquaman costume ever. Scale mail was a million times cooler.

>Wonder Woman
Has Rucka forgot how to write? This whole issue seemed like him spinning his wheels. I mean, I suppose a lot of these Rebirth issues are just that, a chance to get new readers, so they want to show something without totally delving into the meat and potatoes of the stories. Wonder Woman's issue in particular feels like Rucka was trying to retroactively write a prologue to a story that didn't need one.

>Superman
Just depressing. There was that single panel of Lana burying Supes between his parents in Smallville. I honestly felt more sadness over that one image than I did during the entirety of the original Death of Superman. He had a tough life, and this just seems like a totally forced and appeasing "passing of the torch" to shut up whiny neckbeards to want post-crisis Supes back. Issue itself was just an excuse to recap the original DoS anyway.

>Action Comics
So old fans piss and moan for years about how current Superman isn't "MUH SUPERMAN". About how New 52 Supes and DCEU Supes are just angry, edgy, cocky, dumb jerks who cause property damage. So what does Post-Crisis Supes do, his very first day on the job? Selfishly antagonizes Luthor for saving lives, lays a hand on him despite being warned not to, the proceeds to throw the first punch, starting a fight in public, endangering bystanders, with little to back it up besides his own hubris. So much for "MUH SUPERMAN".

>didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW Sup Forums outrage, even though Sup Forums apparently likes it now.
Nigga... it's all bait game, you should know that by now. It's good comic.

>Detective Comics
Couldn't finish it, too boring. Never cared for Batwoman or pretty much any of these other side characters. Clayface seemed cool, but I'm not slogging through a book twice a month to get one or two good character moments when I hate pretty much the entire rest of the cast.

Didn't read the rest, yet. Looking forward to Green Arrow, though. Not much interest in Muslim Lantern.

Batfrag pls.

> Action Comics > Superman > Green Lanterns > Wonder Woman > Batman.

>And yes Lex deserves to have Superman breathing down his neck
He deserves to be held under scrutiny. He does not deserve to be assaulted in public for helping people. This doesn't help Superman's case at all, and really just makes him look like the dumb, angry jerk people have been accusing him of being for years.

I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.

...what? But I didn't like Batman. I didn't really like any of them. Which is kinda sad.

>The current one is called Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good
Well...

Isn't anyone else bothered by the hamfisted making Watchmen DCU canon now?

>I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.
And? batman does torture.

>I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.
Oh maybe Superman is held at a needlessly high standard by Superfags?

We see Batman torture people in the films. He dangles a guy from a roof, breaks another's legs, and punches the Joker in the face to get information.

For Nolan's Batman, it's not a question of if he tortures, but how much he tortures.

>read the GLs #1 preview
>prepared to want to kill myself
>art comes out great
>Simon and Jessica are both distinct and interesting
>doing actual cop work

BRAVO DOGFUCKER, IM PROUD OF YOU

Batman's also been known to break a hand or two to get information. Just makes him look like the dumb, angry jerk .

When are the September solicits?

Batman =/= Superman
I'm not even sure what point you people are trying to make. You're saying because Batman hurts bad guys, it's okay for Superman to antagonize a pointless fight in public that could easily injure or kill a bystander?

>Oh maybe Superman is held at a needlessly high standard by Superfags?
Except apparently now he isn't. I've seen so much defense for Superman's actions against Luthor in this issue. There's just a terrible double standard for "Superman" vs "NOT MUH SUPERMAN". They can both act exactly the same way, but only one will be right.

and also cause needless property damage, I might add

It is ridiculous that Dr Manhattan is being pushed as a figure of despair and apathy

> I've seen so much defense for Superman's actions against Luthor in this issue
Really? I'm seeing way more anons getting huffy at Superman than defending.

Is it really? He was pretty full of despair and apathy in the original story. Especially apathy.

Guess I've been going to the wrong threads. That's good because he was so very wrong. I suppose if they didn't have a bit of an altercation, it would have been a boring first issue to hook readers. Could they have had a conversation instead? Definitely, but I guess that's not the way Jurgens works.

That said, I think it was still my favorite Rebirth book. It got so whacked out at the end, with Clark Kent struttin' in as Doomsday shows up. It got me hyped to read in a very '90s way. Like, not necessarily because I think it's going to be a good story, but damn, I wanna see what happens next. Which I guess is all that matters.

If you ignore all the stuff about how his superpowers work, Jon Osterman in a nutshell is pretty much just the story of a guy with clinical depression. All that shit about him feeling like a puppet because he knows how the future will go and feels locked into it is just him rationalizing his lack of motivation and disinterest in doing things. And because he's a nuanced human being and depression isn't a thing you can just be cured of, we can take his statements about getting over his callousness and feeling positive about human life again as unreliable, the same way we can assume that Adrian's peace will never last.

Why can't Lupa draw GLs

>That's good because he was so very wrong. I suppose if they didn't have a bit of an altercation, it would have been a boring first issue to hook readers. Could they have had a conversation instead? Definitely, but I guess that's not the way Jurgens works.
That's fair. What Superman did was impulsive, but I'm just annoyed at anons already going NOT MUH after just one issue.

comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-1/1100-155621/

>reading comics

Only one I read was 'Tec to check if the 90's kids had finally been unfucked. Nope.

DC can burn in the hell it created.

>DO EVERYTHING IN THE FIRST ISSUE, YOU BASTARDS!
You must hate comics in general.

Yeah I feel like this is gonna be divisive going forward. Rebirth Supes seems much grimmer and edgier to me than Superbro was. I like him less at the moment. Which makes it even more inexplicable to me that Superbro got such a bad rap, on top of having such a rough life. I mean, I agree that Superman editorial was a hot mess in New 52, but it's weird to see so many people celebrating over this pretty grumbly Superman.

Just Wondawoman and 52 Superman fans.

>Cass, Tim and/or Steph fag whines about everything
news at 11

Superman.52 is tumblr meh....fuck him

>Superman.52 is tumblr
He was anything but tumblr. Stop using tumblr as a catch all insult instead of saving it for SJW shit/noses

>I'm just annoyed at anons already going NOT MUH after just one issue.
Probably because his first official action as Superman was to do the kind of thing that people have been bitching about Superman doing for the past 6 years. This, of course, is regardless of the fact that punching first and asking questions later is something almost every version of Superman has done. It just would have been nice to have a bit more justification for his violence, especially considering he started a fucking fight in a crowded area, which is something I don't even specifically remember New52 Superman doing. And this is supposed to be an older, more-experienced Supes? It was just a terrible choice on Jurgens' part.

I think a lot of the problem comes from the DCEU. It was the first live-action Superman movie that really showed Superman doing the kind of shit he does in the comics and cartoons, punching people into/through buildings and generally causing a LOT of collateral damage. It was okay before because it was never real, but now that it's been shown to people in realistic terms, it's a bit of a wake-up call, I guess.

...What?

>Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good

Hellblazer up until the story where he stole life from his twin in the womb was pretty meh as well.

You just listed the main characters of the fucking book. If their fans are upset, the book is objectively shite.

They have had years to fix their shit. YEARS. Don't tell me I haven't given them enough fucking time.

So earth-2 is not affected by rebirth?

You know how long I've been frustrated with Wonder Woman? Since significantly before Azz's run. This is the first sign it MIGHT be getting better.

Yea I'm not even sure what "tumblr meh" is supposed to mean in this conext.

Nope, it'll go for some time. Probably getting shafted when JSA reforms on Prime Earth.

Abnetts doing a mini, unofficial Rebirth in-book to fix E2 on his own

>Nrama: You're continuing to do Earth 2 along with all this, right?

>Abnett: Yes. It's not strictly speaking part of Rebirth, but I'm continuing to write it. Obviously, it's on a slightly separate stream, although we're doing some very big stories there.

>Nrama: You've done it for a little while. Does it continue?

>Abnett: I took it over on issue #9, where there was a sense that the readers didn't quite like what was going on, and could I do something to sort of revamp it? And the response to that has been tremendous, so I'm buoyed up by the enthusiasm for what I'm doing.
>So although Earth 2, strictly speaking, isn't part of Rebirth, but you know what? I'm trying to inject into it that sense of rejuvenation.
>I was working on it a bit today, and my editor and I have come up with a storyline that I think is not only going to blow people's socks off, but also will put right — I hope — put right some of the things that people thought was not right about Earth 2 as a book.
>I think I've found internal, in-universe story reasons to fix them. So if nothing else, it's going to be exciting.

>Nrama: You found story reasons to bring back the Titans, and now you're finding story reasons to fix Earth 2. You're getting good at that fixing stuff.

>Abnett: It should be on my business card!

>didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW Sup Forums outrage

This is what you sound like when you say that.
>didn't read Batman because of the Sup Forums outrage over Batman having bat ears on his cowl
>didn't read Wonder Woman because of the Amazon Sup Forums outrage
>didn't read Superman because of the Kryptonian Sup Forums outrage

Eh, Rebirth is okay I guess. All it has going for it is nostalgia pandering with a heavy-handed dose of grandstanding moral values and blue dicks that shouldn't be there in the first place.
The quality of the books themselves is just the usual.

The return of post-crisis Superman has been one of the coolest slow burns I've seen in years. Over the last year I've seen him and Lois give birth to a son, establish a life for themselves in the New 52 universe, and raise their son Jonathan while living their lives in secret. Now I get to see Superman big return to the public eye, as well as Jonathan's debut as the new Superboy.

This whole thing is just great old-school comics.

Wow .

You seem to think that their fans would ever be pleased by anything

Just read all the Rebirth stuff.

I haven't read comics in quite a while. Who's the dude living with Batman, who Bruce gave the yellow suit?

Are the nu52 characters going to get phased out, or live alongside the old ones?

It's honestly depressing how much of Sup Forums has no fucking idea about Green Arrow's character