Garth Ennis is a Hack

Just finished Preacher, really fuckin' disappointin'

Shooting god to death makes no fucking sense, does that mean he has organs and shit? Is he physical, spiritual, or ethereal?

66 fucking issues and they just shoot god, fucking hell.

It's Garth Ennis. It's always the crude option.

Pretty sure the entire point was the Saint of Killers could kill anything and everything. Doesn't matter if it was God.

Vietnam is gay

Man was made in God's image. Man has organs. Ergo God has organs.

But that's still kinda dumb

you were warned. you shouldn't have believed edgy fucktards

Also just lookng at first issue than last issue I get what people mean when they talk about Dillon getting worse

ohhh I get it now, Saint of Killers is a being of pure, dated 90s edge. And in Ennis world, it's the edgiest guy with the most guns who always wins.

That's hilarious.

wow he's actually so dark and edgy that he drives Satan himself into depression

If there's one truth universal to Ennis, it's that he's an edgy faggot. Preacher is from a ridiculously edgy era, too.

I don't know what it is, but edgy stuff like this is just really popular among a certain audience. I kind of liken it to anime, because people who are into anime are so familiar with its tropes and stuff that they don't realize anyone who isn't is going to be jarred by them. I had that experience with weeaboo's recommending me anime, and I have that same experience with people who praise edgy comics. They say Ennis' stuff is good, but I read it, and I can't help but notice a guy's face is cut off and delivered in a box as just another day at the office. Like I said, jarring.

I feel the only time his edgy style worked, was in Crossed. And even that's a property done better by other writers, who were actually aware of the bizarre nature of its edgy universe, rather than Ennis, who probably identifies more with the Crossed than the survivors they're hunting down.

okay this is actually pretty cool

I'm so confused right now. On one hand, the art herelooks downright atrocious, but on the other hand this is damn funny.
How is the series on the whole?

Plus the constant, casual homosexual rape that goes on. "Right up the choccy starfish"? Fucking really? I'm not saying Ennis is a homophobe or anything, but goddamn it gets really tiring around the Salvation arc

Genuinely awful once you've read all of it and reflect on what you've just read, but a pretty fun ride when you're going thru it. if you skip everything involving arseface you still understand the plot perfectly and be able to eat while you're reading

>that dorky dialogue
I...kinda want to read this now

I started Preacher after reading Sandman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man etc. and assumed it'd likewise be a mind-blowing magical road-trip through the iris of eternity.
Instead I got Arseface.
The pitch is such a ruse cruise. It took somebody on Sup Forums explaining to me that's not Ennis' shtick at all to really get into it. Once you understand that he's all about the characters & the camaraderie, it's a really fun read.
Still think The Boys is better tho.

I don't eat while I read though.

If there's one thing I learned with comics, is that when you pick up on a writer's theme/voice, you start to like their work less. Ennis seems to run on this hatred on all powerful beings (The Boys, Preacher, etc). He loves the idea of a cold hearted asshole being able to topple the most powerful beings.

That and life is expendable.

Oh come on, the buggerers were funny, and seeing Starr suffering worse and worse treatment over the series was a good bit.

>okay this is actually pretty cool

If you're an edgy 13 year old I suppose it is.

I'm not sure why Ennis is so revered and Millar is so despised when on a page-to-page level the only difference between them is Millar works with better artists.

I will admit Ennis seems like a really cool guy IRL while Millar is a deplorable backstabbing manipulative piece of shit.

Is it really any wonder why Seth Rogan was attracted to this series?

>Jhuz
>Vuhh
>Uhfuh
My sides. Please no.

No disagreement there, Starr was my favorite part and kind of sums up the entire comic with his character. He himself stops caring about The Grail and Armageddon and just wants Custer dead, same way the plot of the comic stops focusing on Jesse's hunt for god (which btw, how is he supposed to find god anyway) and starts focusing on the characters. And then at that point everything starts to seem like filler until you realize, no wait, this IS the plot.

Sup Forums hates Ennis because Seth Rogan likes him

Hitman
Punisher

Read those. That's Ennis in non-fag mode.

fuck you fag a shadow showing a different thing than the thing that's casting it is fucking sweet

>Once you understand that he's all about the characters & the camaraderie, it's a really fun read.

THIS

The true worth of Preacher lies in the friendships and relationships Ennis crafted, and the strengths of the various personalities. Jesse, Tulip, Cass, these are strongly defined individuals that drive the story as a result of their personalities. The admittedly edgy humor doesn't stop their tale from being heartening

Motherfucker Arseface is the best part of the entire series.

Ennis is the best character writer ever in the medium.

Oh dear god I need to go read this right now.

Well, gay rape is edgy. And edgy is Ennis' gimmick. I mean, straight rape is edgy, too, but the sort of edgy that's one step too far for someone like Ennis, because the edginess is still a sort of adventurous wish fulfillment in the end. And putting a lot of straight rape into something will quickly make it look like you want to be the rapist, whereas gay rape just communicates a gritty setting where no-one is safe, because of established gender roles.

Looking back at Crossed (the only thing Ennis I've read beginning to end), there's more gay rape than straight rape. Of course, the Crossed don't care what they fuck, as long as they fuck, so it's not jarring. Like I said, it's the one setting where Ennis' edginess actually makes sense. It was also his first work I read, so when I saw some WWII comic by him, and it's EXACTLY THE SAME THING, I noped the fuck out.

>fuck you fag a shadow showing a different thing than the thing that's casting it is fucking sweet

I guess you proved him right now didn't you ?

Millar doesn't write good stories about how hard the SAS are, or how bad the IRA were.

Just wait til they STOP giving him subtitles, It becomes pretty fun trying to figure out what he's saying.

Is crossed the comic with the one page of the wife and husband getting raped and murdered at the same time, and the wife is like LOOK WHAT YOU DID LOOK WHAT YOU FUCKING DID

>The devil's name is "Nick"

Have people considered that this story is meant to be funny?

Because holy shit this is hilarious. Saint of Killer's face is literally " :C "

If I could figure out what Kenny said, I can figure out this guy.

>or how bad the IRA were
>were
I AIN'T NOBODY'S NIGGER!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

I can't believe i've never heard of this character, he's literally the most overpowered character in all of fiction, holy fuck.

I asked this question of Sup Forums when I first got into Preacher and the consensus seems to be that Ennis is genuinely a great writer of layered developed human beings you want to read more of 'neath all the edge. Whereas Millar begins and ends with how the big picture sounds to movie execs.

>walks off into the sunset
Ahh, a classic.

Holy hell everything about this page. Anyone notice that both the guy on this page and Eisenstein look just like old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond.

Yeah. Admittedly, I like that scene, because it skewers zombie survival movie clichés. I like it a little less that I would have otherwise, because the guy is written as an overt neckbeard, and they named their daughter Arwen. Which I still remember, but wish I didn't.

It's probably the first time the comic really pushes home how horrible this universe they're living in is. Now, after some of the Crossed stuff seeming to be in a race for showcasing the edgiest forms of violence, it feels like it lacks punch. But when you're reading it for the first time, it shows you that this shit is for real.

And hey, they actually murder a child in the comic itself. That's so edgy that I actually have to give them props for doing it.

Funnily enough, another thing I remember about that scene is that one of the Crossed is wearing a loincloth held up by an USB cable. It's the little things, really.

>Have people considered that this story is meant to be funny?
Well it is Garth Ennis

This is a very good point about Starr, I hadn't seen that before, but now it's obvious in hindsight.

I agree completely. Ennis' strength is in characters, and it's rare I don't fall in love with his cast and become heavily invested in their relationships. Constantine & Kit, Tommy & Nat, Tulip & Jesse, Jesse & Cass, Frank & Franking, you care for all of them.

OK, this dialogue is actually pretty funny. But hole hell, the art looks like ass. If it just looked a little better, I might be able to get into this.

>Wolverine, Frank & the Midget Mafia
Aww, nuts.

But his WW2 comics are nothing like Crossed, user.

i'm assuming he meant the one he read had a bumrape.

Millar always is in your face and everything feels so forced. Sure, Ennis is a bit forced, but at least he's consistent with his tone. You know what you're getting yourself into. Millar on the other hand feels like someone who always trying to one up everything and make it seem cooler.
>>Miller "Look at my awesome new book! It's like James Bond!"
>>"Yeah, that seems okay"
>>Miller "Not interested?! Well now he's fucking a chick while firing a rocket launcher at a jet as he's plunging down to the Earth from an exploding plane!"
That's what I feel why Millar doesn't work as well. Hell, I remember reading a Spider-Man story of his where a simple fight with Electro ends up with several cars blowing up and Spider-Man saying "Monster! There were kids in those cars!" Didn't break Peter or anything. Just an off handed comment that kids were killed because "COLLATERAL DAMAGE TOTALLY ROCKS!!!"

Finn, Jaysus this ain't Belfast

A lot of Millar characters read the same to me. Like they talk the same and they say the same things because Millar's more interested in pushing them into different situations than he is in the characters themselves. Ennis might tend to write the same character over and over but it's a distinct character that feels like a genuine person. Millar's all high concept and paper thin characters, Ennis is all about dialogue driven character pieces combined with his ultra violence and edgy nastiness.

>CanuckleheadCanuckleheadCanuckleheadCanucklehead

fucking kill me

Why do people shit talk the art so much? I think it ranges from great with all the wide open Mesas to passable towards the end.

Just saw the same jam-coloured gore, the revelling in violence. I don't know, man. My grandparents lived through that war. I know what that shit was like, and I was greeted by a panel of someone just casually, gruesomely murdering someone for my entertainment.

There was a similar panel in Glory (the one with the amazingly buff superheroine, right?) that also put me off from ever reading that comic. It's her casually breaking a Wehrmacht soldier across her knee, while an American soldier is standing next to her just having a regular ol's conversation. That's the sort of stuff that communicates the writer and I just don't see eye to eye on violence in comics, so I'm simply not reading their shit.

So yeah, I admit, I don't know what his WWII comics are like. But they're enough like Crossed that I'm not going to read them.

>My grandparents lived through that war. I know what that shit was like
>I know what that shit was like
No.

>But hole hell,
>Butt Hole Hell
Ah haaaaa

You should read his Hellblazer, you really should. There's very little casual man-on-man violence, and it's probably mostly (like what, 70% at minimum?) character work.

But what about Ennis' infamous boner for Vietnam?

the whole redneck family thing was a fedora-tier meme

Sorry man, the art in these pages just looks like shit. it doesn't do anything for me, and in some panels it's work to get a good idea of what's going.

He also killed Satan, dipshit. God had bestowed the Saint the ability to kill anything and God was less than all mighty when he was not sitting on his throne and got shot

That actually fits with James Bond, though. Not the shitty Craig ones, but some of the older ones.

Most of the pages posted here are not by the regular series artist, but part of a special one-shot.

Which one? Theres like 3. The one that raised Custer, the one that kidnaps and cannibalizes Starr, and the one that the cyclops girl comes from.

Same user here.
I don't know which war comic you read, but many of them don't even involve violence.
You should try his War Stories: Johann's Tiger, Screaming Eagles and Nightingale are all great.

Well user, unless you're 90 fucking years old, neither do you, so whatever shitty point you're trying to make is completely moot.

Sounds interesting. Fuck me, it has a long run, though.

I have no knowledge about that, and I don't think I've ever seen any Vietnam War stuff by him. I'd imagine his style is a little more appropriate for paranoid jungle wars, though.

Yea the artist for the actual series is Steve Dillon, known for his sameface and full, kissable lips. Srsly, the first thing I read by these 2 was Welcome Back Frank and the first thing I noticed was the lips.

preacher is good, fuck you guys

>I don't think I've ever seen any Vietnam War stuff by him.

Are you talking about Ennis or Miller here? Because Ennis writes a fucking TON of Vietnam stuff.

>70% character work
As someone who's analyzing Hellblazer issue by issue this is true. There's political commentary, but not nearly as much as was in Delano's run

The Kingsman comic was absolutely terrible. It's what you'd get if you let a fanboy write a James Bond film, rather than a writer who knew what he was doing. It's the lowest form of edginess and wish fulfillment.
The movie turned out great, though. Funny how that works.

>neither do you
I know. Never said I did.
>whatever shitty point
You're seriously going to get salty because I called you out on your bullshit? You didn't experience that war. You don't know what it was like. You don't get to go around telling people you do.

That's good to know, at least. Maybe I'll give those a shot. People here do seem to have a high opinion of his as a character writer, and I thought his Crossed characters were pretty good.

Don't really disagree. While you're reading it and getting to know the characters and going on this wacky adventure with them in Ennis' cartoon world of casual gay rape and inbred southerners (or to Ennis, Southerners) it's a lot of fun. It's when you get to the end that you say "well that sucked"

Reposting my examination of Dillon's deterioration over Preacher's run.
Note the proto-Frankface in 1996, too.

was he also the writer for the Wanted comic?

His run's not all that long, it's like what, 40 some odd issues? It's only 3 1/2 Fat Trades.

Mathew Vaughn at least knows when some of Millar's ideas are terrible.

Does he really have Alzheimers?

This is pretty bad.

Is... is he saying "my fairy arsemother"?

Ennis. I'm not a regular Ennis reader. I just read Crossed and, apparently, managed to stumble into only his maximum edge stuff. I'm up for a good Vietnam comic, so I'll definitely check it out.

I talked to the people who went through it. That's about as knowledgable as anyone is going to get unless you actually went through it yourself. I plainly fucking said it, and we all assume we're functional adults, so you're meant to fill in the blanks yourself when I say my grandparents went through it and I know what it was like so we don't have to write entire fucking novels for simple communication, like I'm doing now, you fuckwad.

And nigger, YOU are the one getting salty and offended, here, because your autism means you take everything at face value. And this is my family's history, so no, you don't get to tell me what I know about what my family (people I actually talk to in real life) went through.

Can God create a rock that's so heavy that even He cannot lift himself?
Can God make someone into the avatar of Murder, so powerful that he could even kill Him?

Yep. What you're looking at is one of the worst parts of any comic ever made, Arseface's World. Don't buy into the "Arse Face is funny" meme. He's filler of the absolute highest caliber

The evidence is undeniable.

no and no, ending is dumb

>y-you're the one who's salty!
>nigger! autist!
Uh-huh. Sure. If you care about your family's experiences that much, maybe show them the respect of not pretending you know what they went through just because you talked to them about it?
Bye now.

>the moral anchor of the comic is filler of the highest caliber
>not realizing how Jesse, Starr and Arseface all mirror each other throughout the run
Shameful.

I mean it's hard to get more political than "Margaret Thatcher was hand-picked by the hordes of hell".

How far into Hellblazer are you? I've read all of Delano, Ennis and Azz, but not too much more. How's Jenkins?

Looks like he mainly just stops worrying about detailing of skin folds and shadows

Exactly. God didn't give him weapons which had the magical property of "can kill anything except me," he gave him weapons with the magical property of "can kill anything." He was hoisted on his own petard; effectively killed by his own powers.

And Jesse's really inconsistent 5 o Clock shadow

Maybe he shaves sometimes?

Satan gave him the guns and powers, God just orchestrated the events preceding it

The god of Preacher is very much the god of the old testament. The same god who you could win an argument with over whether or not a city could be saved. The same god who would enter into a bet with satan. The same god who would forget to deliver any moral code to the world before condemning it to death by drowning as a result of breaking rules he hasn't set down yet.

In other words, much like the god of the old testament, this is a god who is capable of being blind, shortsighted, irrational and petty, just like the gods of other religions at the time.

Accidentally sowing the seeds of your own undoing is honestly pretty in keeping with most gods of most religions from around that time, and consistent with the god he'd been writing thoughout this series.