/who/ - Doctor Who general

Alan Cumming was offered the role of the Doctor twice - both rejected edition

Would he make a good Doctor?
huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/alan-cumming-doctor-who-deal-breaker_uk_593549a9e4b02478cb9d13fa

- last time on /who/

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/digitalspy/status/872067347493924867
youtube.com/watch?v=BRbUpnO8hmQ
digitalspy.com/tv/news/a829826/mark-gatiss-steven-moffat-working-on-new-tv-show/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They would never hire a guy for a titular role whose last name is Cumming

Updated the episode release chart to include classic Who

Reminder apologize to Gatiss who's episode is actually good.

What years was he offered it?

Floop was a Time Lord.

I would recommend doing zebra bars instead of a gradient for the blocks that include multiple colors

I'll believe it when I see it and I'm actually looking forward to that

I had no idea he was offered the role, let alone twice
He was actually my pick for 12 back in 2013 or whenever it was

Wait how is Queen Victoria brokering peace with the Empress of Mars?? didn't she end up fucking hating aliens and exiled the Doctor too because he seemed supernatural. In Tooth and Claw. Hope this isn't an oversight.

Based on nothing at all I'd say 8 and 9.

what is this, you nerd

>Faggot as the Doctor

Yeah.. No thanks pal!

Isn't this set before Tooth and Claw? Makes no fucking sense.

12 has displayed romantic feelings for a male

hey boardie, no more posts from you this thread. got it?

Yeah it really doesn't. Unless her memory gets wiped.

>watching the pandorica opens
>cyberman shows up
>all universes will be deleted

turned the episode off right there and then desu

Literally whom?

According to the linked article he was once asked by RTD pretty early on and all it says about the second time was "recently" when he was asked by Mark Gatiss.
So I'd say he was considered by RTD for 10? Maybe even 9?

Just confirms Moffat and RTD are lazy cunts

Some fish humanoid thing, he said it in Smile

How would Gatiss have the authority to ask someone if they wanted to play The Doctor?

Algae Emperor

10 kissed guy aliens.

You were about 50 seconds from the end anyway, so you didn't miss much

I have bad news for you

The Master.

Gatiss keeps bringing gay actors back to his place to 'audition' them for playing the Doctor

>How would Gatiss have the authority to ask someone if they wanted to play The Doctor?
he wouldn't. gatiss just must have asked him out of curiosity, maybe planning on telling moffat about it if he responded favourably

He clearly doesn't. It was obviously just them chatting. Although if he had said yes I'm sure Gatiss would have mentioned it to Moffat and/or Chibbers

Anyone else think the collection of Aliens in The Pandoria Opens was weird?
Not to speak about the time period it took place in just made it more weird

He's pretty cute.

My eyes

I am fucking triggered.

>"Let's make a cliffhanger finale!"
>"Put all the aliens we have since the first series of NuWho like they are not enemies or anything, they just want to beat the shit out of the Doctor"

Writer: Steven Moffat
Director: Toby Haynes

Enemies allying themselves to defeat a bigger threat is not a new idea. Countries do that a lot of time.

Always wondered what would've happened after the Pandorica closed if the Universe didn't blow up. Just a long awkward pause

Its pretty easy

>EXTERMINATE ALL NON DALEKS!!!!
>EXTERMINATE!!!!!!!!

Wait what the FUCK
Did THE CHRISTEL DEE from those Renegade Master audios get a spot at Big Finish?

She was offered literally a couple of lines when she came to big finished studio to interview barrowman

Good, I'm not imagining things.

Wasn't Pandorica the first time (besides the S2 finale) they had a whole mass of recurring monster species together at one time?

that's cool

Yeah! It's a small world.

Why was that bug thing from the Sarah Jane Adventures there?

because it was in the prop shed at the time

Weevils from torchwood were there also

So we don't know yet why Simm's Master is returning then? Place your bets on what you think the reason for his comeback is before Moffat provides his underwhelming excuse.

I'm thinking he catches wind that his successor is being held in captivity and wreaks havoc to break her free.

my idea is that missy introduces him into the plot as a loophole to her "im good now" promise

>So we don't know yet why Simm's Master is returning then?

its because they want to boost viewing figures

He finds out that his successor is turning "guud" as missy puts it
Doesn't like that, tries to turn her back evil
It's the final test of whether the basement cold turkey therapy has worked
Right when it seems like missy's turned evil again and goes along with simm's plan to destroy the doctor, she decides it's not worth it and saves the doctor by killing simm, causing him to regenerate into her
The newly regenerated missy runs off with some stray cybermen (the finale has cybermen remember) and starts concocting the plan we saw in the S8 finale to try and repay the doctor. It all goes full circle.

He's gotta escape from Gallifrey somehow

Monks had insane potential.
I'm rewatched Like of the Land and noted all the fucking amazing ideas that were abandoned and killed.

1) opening montage is really great, they could somehow stretch it, making the beginning of the episode similiar to Adam episode from Torchwood or that episode of rock nd morty, you know what I mean
2) Evil Doctor
Capaldi was both charming and terrifying, too bad he wasnt evil, it was just a prank
3) ending montage of realising the truth - it could have felt amazing if we actuaĺly had a decent episode.

I'm feeling like this couldve been amazing two-parter. Why was Extremis needed? Why was pyramid needed? It's so shit.

BILL YOU'VE JUST BEEN PRANKED BY THE PRANK PATROL!
THOSE 6 MONTHS OF PLANNING AND BEING COMPLICIT IN MURDER REALLY PAYED OFF HUH

*rolls a montage of bill being terrified alone in her house as her neighbours are dragged into the streets* HAHA, BILL, TELL US, WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH YOUR MIND HERE?

It would have been a great three-parter if Pyramid had been the first episode. Ultimately Extremis added absolutely nothing and existed only in service of its own plot twist. If the writers want us to believe the horror of life under the Monks, they should have made an entire episode out of the beginning montage. Show us Bill coping with the new reality, meeting people and making friends and facing danger when one of them commits a memory crime or something. Lie of the Land fell flat because it felt like we were only told the world was conquered through exposition and we never actually saw or felt it.

Also the monks getting chased off of Earth because humanity remembered they shouldn't be there is SUCH bullshit when the previous episode established we had nothing that could damage them. There was no explanation over why they couldn't rule through conquest. All they needed was a single line about how the monks were weak to negativity or something and it might have made sense, but without that what we were left with was a terrible and rushed conclusion.

ALSO if the monks ruled through the bloodline of the person they made a contract with then shouldn't they be treating Bill like a princess? Keeping her close, giving her the best life, maybe trying to convince her to procreate despite her aversion to men? It seems like she's the most important person to their plan, so wouldn't the most logical thing be to get her on their side and convince her that life would be worse without them?

But the thing is, extremis was the only episode that stood on its own and the other two were both boring standalones and failed to deliver

Seriously, why the fuck does the doctor stare at the side of the sonic screwdriver every fucking time he buzzes something with it (which I'll also say is annoyingly getting more and more frequent)?

Inb4 >he's looking at the readings...

There's nothing fucking there. It's just cylindrical casing, there's nothing to fucking read.

Pisses me the fuck off.

The Doctor can see telepathic fields. Also, Science is Magic.

Forgot the cunting picture.

If it's telepathic why does he have to look at it?

Sort of, except it wasn't actually a self-contained story and was just build up to the said episodes that couldn't deliver. The fault lies purely on the writers who just did an inexcusably bad job on everything. There was actually a really good idea here, but I think it's obvious that none of them knew where it was so they ended up focussing on the least interesting parts of the story.

Extremis wasn't needed, but Extremis was good. It did however, necessiated a follow-up.

Pyramid was flawed in terms of logic, but it worked for the most parts and Lie of the Land actually explained the most egregious question in Monks' motivation (That I didn't hope they would, and the only really good thing they did). Both did have weak side characters (The persistent problem this series) but there was enough to carry stories alone.

Now Lie of the Land fucked it up. It's tempting to say another episode could salvage it, but Whithouse did nothing good with the idea, so it is likely the result would be twice as nothing.

He can see it. It's Dr Who. Logic is not found.

Is this kino?
I might order it before they put the prices up

I haven't listened to the Captain Jack one yet.

It's easier to concentrate on something making a noise if you're looking at it.
Or do you also look away from people as they're talking to you.

What is really weird to me, is why the hell they used Casettes for the REALLY ULTRA IMPORTANT RECORDING THAT ALL SOLDIERS NEED TO LISTEN AT ALL TIME OR THEY REBEL.

Use a MP3 with Bluetooth. Use what ever you want. Why the fuck did Bill had to record a cassette, and then Dupe it 14 times instead of just uploading a MP3 file.

Why.

>I haven't listened to the Captain Jack one yet.
It's literally all Captain Jack

I've only listened to the first torchwood audio.

i look at someone if there's actually someone to look at

Mark Gatiss reveals details of his scrapped Doctor Who episode – a sequel to 'Sleep No More':

twitter.com/digitalspy/status/872067347493924867

So you can understand why he looks at the screwdriver because there's something to look at (hint: it's the screwdriver)

>"I thought there was something in that, and actually maybe I could do a modern day one, set in the City. Where they'd invented the same process but actually thousands of years earlier, and it had the same effect."

Ah yes, the exact same episode but in the city, well done Gatiss.

"I thought there was something in that, and actually maybe I could do a modern day one, set in the City. Where they'd invented the same process but actually thousands of years earlier, and it had the same effect."

It doesn't seem as though he'll ever get around to writing that follow-up now, with Gatiss telling Digital Spy that this week's 'The Empress of Mars' could well be his final Doctor Who episode.

"It does feel a bit like living in the pages of The Making of Doctor Who, it really does," he said. "All those things that we all grew up with as sort of holy writ are actually happening to us as real people."

Doctor Who, 'The Empress of Mars', airs this Saturday (June 10) at 7.15pm on BBC One.
>There, that's the article without needing to go through 2 links

youtube.com/watch?v=BRbUpnO8hmQ

Feels weird to admit it, but I've been missing traditional evil stompy monsters in armor.
It's going to be first proper villain of the series, isn't it?

>
It doesn't seem as though he'll ever get around to writing that follow-up now, with Gatiss telling Digital Spy that this week's 'The Empress of Mars' could well be his final Doctor Who episode.

I'd cheer, but I have the horrible feeling that I'm going to miss him in a few years.

yes the screwdriver's there but there's nothing to read

What about the monks user?

No stompy. No armour.

They wanted to be loved.

How does that preclude them from being villains?

>monks had 8 lines of dialogue in 3 episodes
what was being implied here?

Alright, they are villains, but every villainous bit of them was offscreen.

>killing people on screen
>not villainous

It's in their culture, you have to respect that.

That the voice actor died of dry throat after doing that voice for 8 lines so they just spaced out his dialogue across 3 episodes

I honestly thought they would end up being these guys

Are you hyped for Chinball's Sheev?

Kinda hope Chinball does more with this guy

>more development in five minutes than villains with three full episodes dedicated to them
Bring it

To be fair the episode was clearly meant to be a 2-parter but it had to be squeezed into a single one

hate this meme

it barely had enough plot to stretch across 1 episode, what would doubling the runtime have done?

>There was actually a really good idea here, but I think it's obvious that none of them knew where it was so they ended up focussing on the least interesting parts of the story.
this feels like it could be a pretty good comedy

I actually prefer the rushed "Doctor waves his screendriver around to fix everything" ending to the power of love ending we just had

digitalspy.com/tv/news/a829826/mark-gatiss-steven-moffat-working-on-new-tv-show/

YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE FREE FROM THE MOFFUCKERY
IT'S ONLY JUST BEGINNING

The first part would be slice of life stuff with the second part being The Doctor investigates why the boxes goes crazy.

The Ice Warriors are not the villians.

The villains are the evil white men from earth.

I probably won't watch it.

Sadly this is probably true, there have been way too many misunderstood villains and humans are the real monsters lately