God

Are societies better off with or without God? What are the pros and cons of a society/civilization that has God?

Other urls found in this thread:

med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Abortion_e.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People behave "better" when they think they're being watched.

"God is watching" was the old way.

Video cameras have rendered that obsolete.

Good societies are built on trust
Trust is strongest when people share a common religion -- stronger than any other commonality.

This is scientifically proven.

Video cameras can't watch what's in your soul.

>People behave better when they think they're being watched

What about ISIS?

France removed God and they're fine.

>Fine

In what respect?

People are leaving Christianity left and right these days, and look at the world now? Is it better? Are you happy? There's your answer.

Not when Allah is filling the void

It's more about a community adhering to a common moral code. You can't expect every set of parents to teach their kids morals properly without something to base them on, modern western society is a good example of this. Atheism is as strong as ever, with perversion and hedonism following in its wake.

>is it better?
That is s very broad question, so it depends.

>Are you happy?
I would say I'm happy with my personal life, but not happy with what is happening in the world.

This.

The idea that morality stems from scaring people into submission by threat of eternal damnation or other forms of punishment is gross and insulting to humans.

Humans are not the only species capable of empathy and morality. Other animals have done it without the need of a mystical sky daddy.

Besides, if we are to take the Christian religion as a meter stick of morality, none of what either the old testament or the new testament would be considered to be moral in any civilized country. Christians have a habit of ignoring the old testament when in fact is a very important source for Christianity.

Interesting

It is better. The world is a much less violent place than it was any time before in history. Look at any metric. Battlefield deaths. Violent crime. Crime rates in general (in western countries). Child Mortality rates. Even the 1960s-1980s were a worser time than now. That era was ridden is plagued with hostage crises one after the other. Plane hijackings. Assassinations. War.

People so often forget that between 1945-1990 the possibility of nuclear war as a very real possibility.

If you think a sexually conservative society is what constitutes a moral society then you wouldn't know what morality is if it hit you in the face.

Sould don't exist.
And you should kill yourself for desecrating Sakura like that.

Christian arabs call God Allah. Allah is God in arabic.
This is why people think you're all dumbfucks

I'm failing to realize how any of that correlates to Christianity. Christianity is still alive and well. Would you care to elaborate?

The user I was replying to asked if world was better now. I replied.

It is most certainly a better world to the eye of an impartial viewer unplagued by nostaglia. in my opinion of course. Some people would say the 80s were better for them economically.

And a person's economic situation is very important for his overall happiness and mood.

Also I don't think anyone has said Sexual Conservatism is the only thing that constitutes a moral society. Would you agree that sexual conservatism would reduce STD's, abortion rates, as well as reintroduce family values?

Ahh I see. I thought you were saying all that has happened as a result of people not being Christian.

No that cannot be demonstrated to any capacity.

Irreligiosity correlates to be generally wealthier.
For most countries except the US. Which says a lot about the US as being pretty special.

STDs can be reduced by means other than sexual conservatism.

Abortion rates
I'm not American so I don't know what kind of rabbit sex you guys are doing over there but Canadian abortions are decreasing by about 1% a year according to the university of ottawa.

med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Abortion_e.htm

Our abortion rates are very low.

I don't know what you mean by family values. You'll have to be more specific.

I'm Christian and regularly attend church. My faith is so important to me.
My children attend a different church as it has more activities for kids. My church is Anglican High Church. Kids go to the Methodist church.

My church is very traditional. I live in a small town and most people attend church. There are three churches in my town; Anglican, Catholic and Methodist.

Personally, church gives a strong sense of community, strong moral guidance, internal peace through prayer, encourages good behaviour, and helps the poor through charity (food banks for example). Also I can talk to my priest whenever I have problems in my life. He's a very wise man.

Pic is my church. It's very old - bits of it are over 1,000 years. It was erected on an old pagan site by the Normans in about 1080.

>STDs can be reduced by means other than sexual conservatism
Are these means working?

When I say family values I'm referring to the idea of the nuclear family. Without sexual conservatism this idea is eventually destroyed, through adultery, fornication, homosexuality. Also, The lack of sexual conservatism leads to laws being passed that allow people to make sexual contact with animals as long as there's no penetration.

Thank you for the feedback

>It was erected on an old pagan site by the Normans in about 1080.
ISNT IT FUNNY how religions build their new buildings on the old ruins of a previous religious site.

Also societies are better off with religion.

>the most godless nations are the most cucked
Oy vey.

Moral objectivism is only possible with a belief in a source of morality, most often God
Moral relativism is degeneracy

The topic is God, not organized religion.

If the topic was religion I would agree with you. Just look at ISIS. I guess you could also argue that they are doing things in the name of "God."

They have been increasing world wide.
They are preventable. The problem is most people don't know they have a STD until symptoms appear and most aren't willing to see if they or their partner have STDs at a clinic.

A careless people get infected. It's not complicated.

Sure you can stop having sex entirely but there are a host of STDs that can be transmitted in many ways other than sexual intercourse. A dirty needle, kissing, transmission of bodily fluids.

The root cause of this is not sexual permissiveness but of carelessness and stigma.

People have practiced adultery since the beginning of time. The only difference between then and now is that before adultery was punishable by death and individuals caught with adultery would be publicly shamed and their families creed would be ruined.

I'm no sexual historian but I can tell you that adultery has existed at the height of Christian Europe and will exist as long as people want sex.

If you can find me a statistic that shows religion actually prevents adultery then I'll be happy to read it.

>Fornication
What about it?

>Homosexuality
Again homosexuality has been practiced since the beginning of time. It was practiced all through Christian Europe in discretion. The only difference is now we don't kill them anymore.

I also think what the gays do in their own bedrooms is a trivial matter that I don't really care about. I'm not sure if you are suggesting that the existence of homosexuality is proof declining morality. If you are I don't agree with you. Because morality and being sexual conservative or being straight are completely irrelevant to the concept of morality.

To add, the statistics on fornication are really interesting.

Atheism has not been strong in the United States until about two decades ago and even now it is harshly criticized by people in the US.

Just look at the argument between the Church's teaching of evolution and well... what Scientists believe to be what evolution is.

It leads me to believe that atheism has not caused fornication to increase in the US but the invention of birth control and crucial having birth control accessible. For me I can conclude that irreligion had nothing to do with people wanting to fornicate but rather the fear of getting pregnant.

When birth control was invented in the 60s, I'm sure you'd agree that Christianity was alive and well with the whole Jesus movements.

>the nuclear family
The nuclear family is a modern invention. If you were a true traditionalist you wouldn't promote it. Multi-generational homes is how it's always been.
And animals are property. What a man does with his property is his business.

>You're welcome mate.

Pic is the interior of my church.

I'm not suggesting we stop having sex entirely, but perhaps not taking part in promiscuity is the best solution.
>the root cause of this is not sexual permissiveness
I disagree, it is. However, carelessness and stigma is not exclusively the root. Promiscuity in the homosexual community are a huge reason why STD rates are so high. Since STDs are most common within the Homosexual community, the people who are bisexual and are having sex with both genders are only making it worse.

>The only difference is now we don't kill them anymore

Wrong, homosexuals are executed in Muslim countries. I do agree that what happens in someone's private life should not matter. However, the private lives of homosexuals are in fact affecting us directly through the spread of STDs.

>nuclear family
>multi-generational home

You're missing the point, which was the lack of sexual conservatism destroying family values.

You never heard of scholastic?
The bible is not the ONLY source for Christianity morals.

disregard what the average person believes in, there needs to be some sort of religion being upheld by the leaders of the country and generally believed in by the public otherwise the state won't last for more than a decade.

Take the jews for example, they survived extermination despite not having a country. when you look through history you can see that religions have proven to be foundations of civilization and straightened out the primitive and chaotic nature of humans

you can see that fandoms are centered around a certain myth, like anime and mlp, and also kekism. this proves that people like to share common beliefs and center around them.

I'll admit that religion is nothing more than myth, but its better than having a society cenetered around a shitty myth like Hollywood. I guess you could have a civilization centered around MLP, but its been half a decade now and the fandom is dieing. Compared to that Christianity has survived for thousands of years

yet some faggots actually believe they can remove it without the state come crashing down

Indeed. Their faith is laudable and admirable unlike those fedora-tipping Sup Forums """Christians""" who believe the Bible is metaphor lol.

I`m starting to believe reddit is behind this christcuckery.

Every 2nd thread is a christian thread.

This is a political board. Your personal insecurities and beliefs belong elsewhere as this board gather people of all faiths (as much as I dislike saying that).