Favourite movies

So I see a shit ton of threads with people acting superior and instantly hating on other people's tastes here so I was wondering on what level you distinguish between your favourite movies and movies you just like.

Are your favourite movies only those which you think are good quality wise or do you also count movies with mediocre quality to your favourites list?
Do you think that if you watch a movie over 20 times, it can be considered as one of your favourites or do you honestly feel that campy movies can't be part of your fav list?

Pic related: TDK is actually one of my favourite movies even though I don't think it's the pinnacle of cinema history

pic related

was this made in 2011 by any chance?

actually, this is one of the few movies where both could apply (legit good but also comfy movie)

I have several favorite movies. For me to like a movie, it has to have something that surprises me, or has something very particular that I can't explain.

My fav movies are Haunters, Cabin in the Woods, Hot Fuzz, 21 Jump Street and the Dark Knight btw. I've seen those movies multiple times, while I usually don't watch anything else twice.

By surprise, do you mean twists or just tropes you like?

Don't know why but Predestination pops to my mind if you like surprises

It just has to something that I did not expect, or is very different from the mainstream. For example, I watched Hot Fuzz by accident on TV and thought it's just a funny comedy, then murder happens and exitment ensues.

21 Jump Street surprised me because I thought it's just a run of the mill comedy, but it actually made me laugh and had some genuinely funny moments imo
just to name some examples. I also like really good plot twists like inLucky Number Slevin, or Seven

>Predestination pops to my mind if you like surprises
Didn't know that one, I will check it out!

Oh and also, I am a big Horror movie fan, and have seen pretty much everything, good or bad. It takes a LOT to make me exited for a Horror movie nowadays unfortunately because most of them follow the same formula now. That's why I like Cabin in the Woods so much, because it makes fun of those cliches and formulas

>Didn't know that one, I will check it out!

Don't watch any trailers and don't read anything about the movie. just get it and watch it

yeah, good horror movies are hard to come by nowadays. I really liked Babadook (I know it's too mainstream for most people here) and Conjuring 1 as well as Insidious

the issue is you have two ways to look at a movie

1. You can critically assess the movie, did it do what it was intended, what are the flaws, do characters undergo some sort of conflict and how is it resolved, are the actors / special effects / believable, etc

2. Judge a movie on how it makes you feel, was it entertaining for you to watch enough so to overlook flaws, makes you laugh, cry, angry, empathize with characters etc

a good movie would ideally meet both critical and personal judgements but oftentimes we choose what personally makes us happy as good rather than critical analysis. That's why you see conflict when people say, "I thought X movie is good" when maybe the film met point 2 but not point 1.

imo point 1 isn't as important when deciding to watch a movie

I stopped watching trailers a long time ago, they always reveal so much or spoil the best scenes..

I actually liked Insidious 1 (one of the only times a jump scare actually got me, you know which one lol) And I really have to watch Badadook, including you, many people have told me it's pretty unconventional.

In the days of Annabelles and IT remakes we have to have thick skins as horror fans

there is no difference between favorite and best movie

>even though I don't think it's the pinnacle of cinema history

I know you're exaggerating, but I think a lot of people underestimate how well executed the whole thing is. It's tightly structured and edited, hits that balance of cerebral dialogue and action, and the acting is top notch. I'm not one of those people who thinks the Joker is the pinnacle of philosophy in film, but you have to appreciate how deliberate everything about TDK is.

Rambo First Blood Part 2.

Part 2 was an awful remake that completely undid the anti-war message of the original.

*sequel

3x3 plebcore

what's top far right and middle far right?

actually it's pretty easy. I can have a movie I like, but for it to be a great movie I need to feel deep down that everyone I know should see the movie. If I feel that way, it is great, if I don't, it's good. For instance, I don't think every should watch Citizen Kane, but I do think everyone should watch Network

The first movie didn't have a anti war message you ignoramus. It covered the poor treatment of returning Vietnam veterans and set the story of how Rambo was created for war.

top far right is weebshit but middle far right is Taxi Driver

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 and Taxi Driver?

kk thx, almost thought it's Evangelion, gott go watch Taxi Driver tho, sounds cool

I don't see conflict when people say what they thought was good

it's rather the fact that I see a lot of people on this board shit on others for having "bad taste". that's why I'd like to know whether these people only have top-tier cinema on their favourite lists or just like to shitpost

>imo point 1 isn't as important when deciding to watch a movie

pretty much what my argument was, yeah

>many people have told me it's pretty unconventional

it really was in my eyes. didn't read any spoilers prior to it and the first thing I thought after the movie finished is apparently what a lot of other people, including analyses, think. I'd even say that people who hate horror movies should watch that one because of the ending

>In the days of Annabelles and IT remakes we have to have thick skins as horror fans

goddamn, I expected so much of Annabelle after seeing Conjuring. I was so mad that it was a generic trash movie

>a lot of people underestimate how well executed the whole thing is

definitely. I don't bother talking about the movie on here though since regular discussions usually can't take place due to shitposters. the structure is what especially makes me like the movie. there's basically a fourth act once the joker story is finished which was a surprise in my eyes. all characters feeling really natural was also a very positive aspect. I feel as if everybody agrees that the action scenes are great in TDK though

those are all good movies though (STILL haven't seen Taxi Driver yet). I would say the ultimate pleb movie would be Pulp Fiction because there's no other movie that is regarded as objectively the best movie ever by that many people I know that is actually not that good. It's a fun watch though

actually watched Citizen Kane this year for the first time (never saw a proper version of it pop up). it was alright and great for its time but there are a lot of better movies out there

>Rebuilds

>actually watched Citizen Kane this year for the first time (never saw a proper version of it pop up). it was alright and great for its time but there are a lot of better movies out there
then it's time to watch Network friend

The reason people shit on entry-level taste is probably because they don't want the same 100 movies being discussed and circlejerked constantly. There's no opportunity to learn anything or expand your taste here. If people actually left their comfort zone and watched older/more obscure films with critical acclaim, this board would be a lot more interesting and a step above other shitholes such as /r/movies. Right now, it's just incredibly boring. Very few people have anything interesting to say and everyone's taste is basically the IMDB top 250.

I mean, there IS some reason why those are the top 250. Someone mentioned earlier that in order to like a movie, it doesn't necessarily have to be good, just enjoyable. Take Pulp Fiction or the Avengers for example.

I wish there was productive movie discourse here too. On Sup Forums there are many "games literally only you played" threads, why we don't have that for movies more often on Sup Forums is beyond me

I don't have a favorite film, but best?

Among others, Lawrence of Arabia, The Human Condition Trilogy, Vertigo and The Godfather.

As someone who actually ventures out into the wastes in vain, desperate hope of finding some hidden gems, I can tell you with absolute confidence, there aren't any hidden gems. Its all shit. Mid-budget production is dead, independent film is dead, and high-budget production is sterile, safe, by the numbers bullshit.

Then the reason no one wants to make threads about older movies is because no one wants to be stuck repeating the same shit over and over again.

Rather, I should say no one remotely intelligent wants to be stuck repeating the same bullshit endlessly.

Memeloving fucks notwithstanding.

The taste in this thread is horrible, and this is coming from someone who considers them self a pleb

Oh look, there he is, better than thou man

>everyone's taste is basically the IMDB top 250.

as said, it's not a coincidence that people watch the "best" movies and talk about them. they are, after all, good movies (to some extent). I understand that you would like people to widen their knowledge by watching movies they usually wouldn't hear about

the thing bothering me (OP) is mostly that no matter in what thread, people will rather shit on tastes rather than give proper arguments or recommendations. if someone likes a shit movie, why not recommend them a movie resembling that one but with a good quality? I am just too tired of hearing the same old company wars and "you don't know shit" arguments again and again

nevertheless, everytime people actually love a movie, these people are the ones that contribute and make the threads better. I know that to most people this is a stupid example, but that is probably why a lot of people enjoy MoS and BvS threads. If you enjoy stuff, it's more fun to talk about it, even if you recognise negative aspects of said movie

>Right now, it's just incredibly boring

do you at least make threads about the more obscure movies you watch? if more people did that, the board would actually be much better

this is the fifth time in the last month that I have seen someone mention Vertigo. how the fuck have I never seen anything on that one?

>how the fuck have I never seen anything on that one?
I had never seen anything on Rear Window, so I somehow understand you.

>the thing bothering me (OP) is mostly that no matter in what thread, people will rather shit on tastes rather than give proper arguments or recommendations.

Fucking based opinion. This is what posters on this board, as well as on many others lack. I understand the appeal to just shit on others, because it's quick and easy fun under the guise of anonymity but come on...

>there aren't any hidden gems

I wouldn't rule it out completely, but once in a while.... mostly not though

this is exactly the type of posting which is fucking useless

maybe if I looked through websites that focus on pre 70s movies, I would find these but it just seems like a chore. basically, I already have enough movies to watch ranging from the 80s to now but if I also took all the old movies into consideration, fuck

I don't even consider myself better than anyone. Just that the movie's presented here are the most typical, normie shit out there. There's nothing new or interesting being brought up, just, hey these movies are comfy, I like them.

>ut that is probably why a lot of people enjoy MoS and BvS threads
How about people like me that hated both films and just post on the treads for memes and shitpost?

but see, that's exactly what OP said a few posts above thise one. Why come in here and talk shit about our movie taste instead of posting your own favorites and maybe let people in on your knowledge? I just don't get that attitude

>I understand the appeal to just shit on others

I do too if it's a thread such as "DC/MARVEL IS DONE!!!!!" or "HOW CAN X EVEN COMPETE?!?!" but if it's actually a proper thread where people are talking about something they like, why even bother shitting around?

I like to give my opinion about movies I don't like, but I always do it in a way that is as objective as possible and where I don't come across as a raging or contrarian asshole. it's pathetic that many people here can't discuss movies like regular people or like they would in their regular lives

>it's rather the fact that I see a lot of people on this board shit on others for having "bad taste". that's why I'd like to know whether these people only have top-tier cinema on their favourite lists or just like to shitpost

T.

it's alright not to like the movies but shitposting while others are trying to have regular conversations is stupid and only makes the board in general shittier

I truly think these people just want to feel superior even though they don't know how to signal it. usually, they just can't because they just aren't

I know this is mainstream bait but I actually see at least two or three movies with top-tier material

>tfw I can watch LotR anytime

I really cant decide whether or not I like the dark knight or batman begins more. I know TDK is objectively better and has a ton of great scenes/action but I also fucking adore the first half of begins and cillian murphy as scarecrow/liam neeson as Ra's