ITT we remember webcomics of years past, dead or otherwise

ITT we remember webcomics of years past, dead or otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

venisproductions.com/angelmoxie/index.php
stardroids.net/wordpress/
diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/01/wombat1-gnorf/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Up and died with no conclusion or word from author.
>Applegeeks
>Mystic Revolution

the applegeeks writer is part of the couple who does johnny wander

I'm like 90% sure the artist went on to do three panel soul

wait no, I was thinking of mac hall, my bad

I have no idea what happened to the applegeeks artist

Still so bitter over HINABN
I really loved the series and loved the art, and it was such a damn disappointment to find out what a twat the author was, such a bullshit thing to do the fandom and the publisher, and never one word of apology.
It sucks when people whose work you greatly admire turn out to be spineless douches

Real Life. Haven't read it in years, went to go check on it recently and found out it hasn't updated since December, and there hasn't been a news update since April.

Also, The Last Nerds on Earth was pretty nice, though it's a good example of why you shouldn't let your girlfriend be your artist unless you're 100^ positive you're going to marry her.

I fucking loved that comic. There still hasn't been an apology after all these years?

Mall Monkeys

any webcomic that used sprites

What happened with it?

No, after playing dead for some years Stone just started a new project like nothing and is now gushing about how woooonderful her fans are omg thanks guys I love you all and your attention thanks for reading you're all fantastic, pls support me on patreon - similarly to how she acted about HINABN and it's fans before suddenly dropping off the face of the planet.

Boxer Hockey. I haven't read it in a couple of years but I just found out it's been on hiatus for quite a while.

Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

okay maybe one of you guys can answer me, what ever happen to Third Wish and Your Half?

Under the category of "It's shit, but I love it", Lesbian Mystery Club.
Goddamn it, it stopped just when something interesting was about to happen.

Okay, I looked HiNaBN up and I couldn't find any specific drama anons are referring to, but I just some vague notes about how at some point she stopped updating the comic.

Was there something else I'm missing, or was that it?

The author courted fan attention and encouraged shipping, the comic was full of sexy lanky men and so the fanbase grew exponentially, she got a professional publishing deal and had a book printed - and then just suddenly got bored with the project and went dead. No explanation ever, no nothing. The publisher got a bad rep because they'd sold some "special edition" books in which she was supposed to doodle, which she refused to do. As there was zero explanation and Stone apparently forbade the publisher to talk about things either, her total, sudden, mysterious disappearance sparked a lot of rumours - she's dead, she's in the hospital, her publisher is blackmailing her to not draw any more (wat) etc. It was especially nasty for the small indie publisher who had to face a lot of nasty rumours about them and had to reimburse people for their "special edition" books they obviously weren't getting despite having already paid.

People were legit worried, sending frantic messages, begging for some sign of life or explanation, and some even sent her irl telegrams, "tessagrams", if I've understood correctly, but yeah people were trying to contact her on deviantart, through the comic site, and so forth.

However, there was never any explanation, never anything. Finally someone tracked down her sister at a con and she admitted that there's nothing wrong with Stone, no hospital, no lawsuit, she just didn't feel like dealing with the project any more and just dropped everything. Turns out HINABN was the 3rd webcomic she's similarly dropped out of the blue, never addressing or explaining the past projects in any way.

After several years of playing dead w total radio silence, she suddenly did a collaboration with the Johnny Wander folks, and is now doing a new webcomic, courting fan attention and interacting and gushing just like in the beginning with HINABN. Never any explanation. No "I'm alive but can't continue the comic, sorry", nothing. Pretty shitty.

That's pretty fucked up

>third comic she's dropped
Why am I not surprised?

Jesus. I didn't even like the comic that much and this makes me mad.

You'd think that if people were legitimately thinking you might be dead, you'd at least have the decency to put a "This comic will no longer update" notice somewhere like most webcomics do when they discontinue. Even if you don't want to give a specific explanation, it's better than nothing.

The fact that she had a publishing deal and did this twice before this incident is what really makes it shitty though. She sounds like a complete flake.

I wish I'd saved art fr Twisted Kaiju Theater's kaiju girl gallery before shin goji purged it

If you want to read a good webcomic and one that is complete and finished.

venisproductions.com/angelmoxie/index.php

Yeah exactly. I was following the comic, and I remember the waning hope and the growing worry in the fandom when there'd been no update for a week, a month, two months, four, six, a year, two... I can understand having a nervous breakdown or whatever or not being able to go on because you can't cope, but holy shit let people know.

Especially after you've spent time interacting with your fans, creating this special "ooh I love you all so much thanks dears I'm lucky to have such fans

I really hope she doesn't pull that shit again (for the fourth time.) She and other artists have been given so many chances and shown their flaky and suspicious behavior time and time again. How are they not black balled in the webcomic scene?

I'm as confused as to why this is still going as you are.

stardroids.net/wordpress/

man. has it really been that long since that edgy X vs Zero story

I still miss it.

Whatever happened to it?

That was actually great.
Dude somehow managed to get away with a kickstarter too.

Yeah. I loved it a lot. I think he had other obligations.

But that was a damn good parody though.

Did he ever do anything else?
Just did a quick google and it looks like he dropped of the face of the planet.

I don't think so user. Outside of this he was a piano player, and I think other stuff like other comics might've gotten to him too. It sure feels like he disappeared though.

the "artist" went emo and butthurt when people told him that he didn't have a "artist block", that he's just fat and lazy and should be ashamed of baiting people with empty promises to get people to give him money.

It wasn't the funniest. It didn't have the best art. Looking back, it wasn't even that great.

But back then, it was the highlight of my day for a new strip to pop up.

I'm sad it's over but at least the artist was honest about wanting to quit it. This webcomic actually felt like I was watching a late 90s cartoon and I haven't gotten that feeling from any other.

>It wasn't even that great.
You shut your whore mouth.

Occasionally he draws strips for The Gutters, which is kind of a bummer.

>replaying metroid prime trilogy
>remember zebeth, metroid with a twist
>kabutroid got divorced and became a transperson
Be yourself and be happy I guess.
Wake me up inside.

I still hold onto the vague hope that this will update again.

Wow what a fucking dick

These people are webcomic readers there used to authors getting bored but give them some kind of explanation she can't possibly have failed to notice all the concern

MT? It's still updating. 17 updates since December 13th, woo.

I actually bought and read those spin off novels they're producing thanks to a bout of morbid curiosity. They're mediocre and sort of pointless in exactly the way you'd expect.

Staccato
Just talking about it makes me mad, it was slice of life, had the most basic art and the characters where one sided including the talking basketball, but fuck you I want to see what comes next

>RPG World
I'm still mad. At least Ian J has made some money off SU.

I miss the fuck out of Elf Only Inn. Went through a lot of transitions, but always managed to be entertaining.

I seem to remember he was trying to transition to being a "real" artist / illustrator and kept putting the comic on the backburner because his real job was eating up too much of his time.

I still remember a fuckton of comics that are so dead i have nothing to show you. no archived images, nothing.
>Trilokan
>usr.bin.w00t
>I heart disappointment
>Sunflower Girl / Less Than Kate
>What I Learned Today
>Slackers
>Once Bitten
>Dreamleak
>Bear and Kitten (well, some of it's archived but not the ones i wanna share, that era is missing)
>QuestsYeah

and some that are still available to go read, like The Princess Planet, WIGU, and Some Battling Monsters, that nonetheless i almost never think about anymore... because they just... went away. finished or whatever.

I'm not sure why I love it so much. The jokes almost all amount to "These guys are animals.", the stories aren't interesting, and the whole thing is flat and unoffensive, but for some reason, this is one of my favorite webcomics. It's just so simple that I can relax and read a few strips without being bothered by the world around me.

I miss it, Sup Forums.

Hey, at least it's not kevin and kell.

I will always miss 8-Bit Theater. I know it's over and it ended beautifully. It was my first webcomic when I first started browsing the internet and, of all the stupid shit I thought was funny when I was a kid, it's the only one that has still remained funny to me.

clev's a hell of a writer

I remember that one. He went on to create Weesh, which I still read occasionally. It's one of the best Calvin and Hobbes clones out there.

I'm sure she'll finish it someday.

Nope

Too busy boring people to death with Cucumber Quest

I use to follow this webcomic. Not sure what's going on now, I think the author is sick, or tired, or something.

Also if anyone knows a webcomic about this furry creature who travels a fantasy land with an elf and a thief, it would be appreciated, since the title is lost on me.
I just remember the furry creature looks like a brown goat and gets discriminated by other races.

Anybody remember Building 12? That thing Chris did before Misfile? I don't remember too much other than it looked much the same as Misfile and was just as dumb, but an entertaining kind of dumb.

Speaking of, apparently Misfile is still going, holy shit.

Much preferred one she worked on earlier with her sister - Lock and Key, I think?

Man I used to love MegaTokyo
I have a few of the books

>Mall Monkeys

Holy Shit, talk about memories.

What kills me is the same thing happened to one she worked on with her sister. At least keep up for your sibling, come on.

Vaguely, now that you mention it.

oh fuck, that was fantastic.

Everyone remembers Digger, right?
diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/01/wombat1-gnorf/

Everyone should read Digger. Other of note include:
-Drowtales
-PPG Doujinshi
-Lackaidaisy
-Pandemonium (which was apparently scrub from the web)
-Hark, a vagrant
-Stolen Generation and Sequels (you are in for a ride...)
-Oglaf

There are probably others worth mentioning, but I got nothing.

I remember being fascinated by 1/0.
There was a sprite comic called Helmeted Attack I followed as an idiot child that just vanished one day, never found out why.
Speaking of sprite comics, MS Paint Masterpieces is pretty awesome, it's like the Archie Mega Man before it existed.
And there was this cool Elder Scrolls comic called Prequel, but it hasn't updated in more than half a year. Get off Sup Forums and get to work, Kaz. I know you can see this.

Anyone remember the Namco comic site? Shifty Look, I think? There was some brilliant stuff in there.

1/0 was surprisingly good.

There was this one webcomic which was essentially a more interesting flatland, but I have never been able to find it again.

The only reason the website failed is because they were too stupid to have ads. For some reason they were convinced an ad-free revenue system was feasible. They had big names, some good comics, some consistent update schedules... and they put all of their money in the hopes that Hussie's joke of a visual novel would make people pay $599 for a letterman's jacket.

fuckin' dress up missy was the best game
>"i've gotta go to the little girls room"
>goes into room filled with little girls
>"ahh that's better"

I recall first stumbling across Ursula Vernon courtesy of this little thing

>webcomic thread
>no mention of The Adventures of Dr. McNinja
Sup Forums has fallen.

Blip is probably one of my favorite webcomics, and there are a few characters such as K are very much waifu material, which is not what I expected coming in.

i only read the books/manga
i thought it was cool

>i only read the books/manga
What else do you think there is to Megatokyo?
The VN isn't out, and probably won't be for years.

Don't forget that she took tons of money for the comic.

Also her sister is also an artist, one far more professional. She works for IDW and draws for transformers.

I still miss you Count Your Sheep

I never knew Fayren was her sister holy fucking shit.

fuck, me too
remember when it briefly came back then disappeared without a trace

Exploitation Now, oh I miss you.

yep, it only hurt even more

that shit looks like the fag learned drawing from one of these

it really doesn't... at all.

it kinda does

Goddamn, I remember reading this in the school library when I was in high school, maybe even junior high.

for a second i forgot libraries had computers, and i was like whaaaaat

Lackadaisy is still updating, though.

Reading webcomics in the library and playing Oregon Trail 2 on one of the science teacher's computers, that's how I spent a lot of my lunchtime in junior/high school.

dear or otherwise. Most of that list is not dead either.

i was one of those stupidly stubborn kids who was happy not knowing what i was missing with computers, for a long time.
not that we had internet in school til after i had it at home. not that we really had free time in school. not that i would have had any idea what to look up.

Nah it doesnt, Youre thinking of pic related. what you posted looks a lot better

this, sort of, yeah.
but really piro draws anime hair with sort of 00s-pseudo-vasquez bodies, and significantly pre-penward dot eyes

I still miss you, my love...

>ctrl+f
>no cheap thrills
>that fucking cliffhanger

Lady Of The Shard was pretty great.

it definitely seems like Matt wants to bring BitF back, I don't think we'll see it until after all of his games are released at least though

games, ehhh?
i wish "Not Super At All" updated more often, but it refuses to die. it may not be the best smash bros comic ever but it's cute and likeable.

Eh, it's still a free comic.

I've got the book in a drawer somewhere.

I still hope Saturnalia gets finished one of these days, but I guess Space Coyote went legit ages ago.